Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Well poo poo alright thank you guys for at least confirming this isn't in my head. Guess I'll take screenshots so I can remember where I left off.

Or just buy YouTube premium using a vpn for dollars a month

Mine has always worked fine, but I always use the app never a browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Does anyone else use OneNote on iOS and has it been loving up for you the last few days or is it just doing that for me? The cursor doesn't show up when it should and editing text is all hosed up. I don't know how else to say it. I'll try to enter text and it'll enter it all incorrectly, like it'll insert the text in between text I've already entered when I don't want it to and stuff like that.

I've tried closing it and re-opening the app and that doesn't seem to do anything. It seems to still work fine on my PC, but I need it to work fine on iOS too.

I copied all my notes over to Notes.app and I'll use that until it gets fixed, or maybe Notes.app will be my new permanent notes app.

I don’t have a solution but my workplace tried to do a paperless thing and push everyone to OneNote and the iOS client is so insanely miserable that virtually no one continued using OneNote as all it did was generate endless support tickets for flaws inherent to the way the app works that can never be fixed unless Microsoft does something… which doesn’t look likely.

I have no idea how Microsoft managed to get the basic functionality of “sync changes back to server” so completely and utterly wrong but I swear there is like a 50/50 chance anything you put into the iOS client may or may not ever show up on your desktop.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SaturdayKnight posted:

I don’t have a solution but my workplace tried to do a paperless thing and push everyone to OneNote and the iOS client is so insanely miserable that virtually no one continued using OneNote as all it did was generate endless support tickets for flaws inherent to the way the app works that can never be fixed unless Microsoft does something… which doesn’t look likely.

I have no idea how Microsoft managed to get the basic functionality of “sync changes back to server” so completely and utterly wrong but I swear there is like a 50/50 chance anything you put into the iOS client may or may not ever show up on your desktop.
Yeah, that's an issue I've had with it as well, which has been super annoying.

Guess I'm all in on Apple Notes now!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Resume on other devices requires premium now

I have premium. It still doesn’t work.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kri kri posted:

Or just buy YouTube premium using a vpn for dollars a month

Mine has always worked fine, but I always use the app never a browser

Does this work if you have a legit Google One sub already?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Does this work if you have a legit Google One sub already?

Yes i have both(legit Google One, Youtube Premium from India via VPN)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Be advised they may getting wise to the India route. My BiL wasn’t able to get that working recently even with a fresh account and me walking him through it on a screen share. Mine is up later this year so I’ll get to find out myself pretty soon.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm always dubious of actually using the VPN trick. Gmail is my main email account, and if it got banned I'd be really screwed.

So my options are:
1. Use a VPN to save a bit on YouTube Premium but at the risk of locking myself out of my digital life
2. Pay £13/mo for it legitimately, which is more than any other monthly subscription I have
3. Live with the adverts

.. I revisit this regularly and always end up going with 3. The price to get the same content without adverts feels too high, if it was cheaper I'd just pay it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Use vinegar extension and view YouTube thru safari that’s what I do.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

priznat posted:

Use vinegar extension and view YouTube thru safari that’s what I do.

That or use Yattee on iOS.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There's also the Sponsorblock extension, on iOS/Safari even.

I did the Ukrainian VPN for YouTube Premium for $4 a month and I couldn't imagine going back. It's just too convenient. My YouTube usage is up because of it, too.

Even if they blocked it, I'd probably convince my friends to go in on a paid Premium Family membership. I just really hate ads and juggling a few paid streaming services is still cheaper than going to the movies or paying for cable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I pay full price and don’t regret it. I use YouTube a lot.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Froist posted:

I'm always dubious of actually using the VPN trick. Gmail is my main email account, and if it got banned I'd be really screwed.

So my options are:
1. Use a VPN to save a bit on YouTube Premium but at the risk of locking myself out of my digital life
2. Pay £13/mo for it legitimately, which is more than any other monthly subscription I have
3. Live with the adverts

.. I revisit this regularly and always end up going with 3. The price to get the same content without adverts feels too high, if it was cheaper I'd just pay it.

Couldn’t you do option 1 on a burner youtube account?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There is absolutely no way they close/ban your Gmail account because you tried to do a vpn trick for region specific YouTube premium discounts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If all your options are kinda hacky why would you pick the one where you give money to Google :confused:

Vinegar + Safari all the way IMO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

If all your options are kinda hacky why would you pick the one where you give money to Google :confused:

Because I like using the app

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there something on the Apple TV that works for this problem?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

nope, having to use the youtube app is the worst part of the apple tv platform, imo. your best bet is to airplay from a device with a full-featured browser

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Supposedly if you use a VPN connection to Albania you won't get ads served. So now that there's VPN apps on AppleTV, try that? (I haven't tried this to confirm)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

Couldn’t you do option 1 on a burner youtube account?

They seem to have clamped down on this; I tried it a few months ago but for new accounts they were needing confirmation via a local phone number. And I couldn't find any online service offering phone numbers that it would actually accept.

If anyone knows how this can be done (with experience within the last 6 months or so) I'd be all ears!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

There is absolutely no way they close/ban your Gmail account because you tried to do a vpn trick for region specific YouTube premium discounts.

This, I would imagine they would just remove your premium.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TACD posted:

Oh I’m ready using Vinegar and it’s great. Works on Apple TV casting too.

My main gripe with it is that it also is flakey about remembering watching history/positions but it’s a minor problem really.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
So I grabbed Vinegar, really been meaning to for ages but I’m lazy, just recently though I’ve hit a lot of videos where every five or six minutes I get two ads, usually including one you need to hit the skip button on.

Installed Vinegar, setup, working to block ads as I watch a couple of videos, excellent. I sign in to YouTube in Safari, deal with it jumping to the YouTube app and then Chrome but eventually I’m signed in, in Safari. I do the ‘add to home screen’ thing, name it, delete the YouTube app to clear the banner asking me to “open video in YouTube”.

Then the PiP stopped working, it would minimize for a second and then close. Again and again and again, restart and again. Eventually worked it out: I have Chrome as the default browser so adding to the home screen just adds a URL, which opens in the default browser. Durr.

It’s too bad you can’t do windows style app links like Safari.app “youtube.com” but I’m happy with just having safari bookmarked, with the eventual hope I might one day leave chrome behind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What really grinds my gears is when I have the keyboard up and accidentally bump the microphone icon and I get the pop up telling me to enable dictation.

No, gently caress you, stop bothering me and give me an option to delete the microphone forever instead of a stupid nag screen.

edit - goddamn i'm a moron, wrong loving thread you idiot

xzzy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2024

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Skipping ads? Yeah. An app called Yattee. It’s just a bit confusing to set up, but it works.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The dictation feature is really good and is all done locally on your phone these days. You do you but I’d give it a shot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

The dictation feature is really good and is all done locally on your phone these days. You do you but I’d give it a shot.

I use it a fair bit and it works really well now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Skipping ads? Yeah. An app called Yattee. It’s just a bit confusing to set up, but it works.

I'll check it out, thank you!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'd happily pay for a Youtube Family premium plan if they didn't insist on bolting on their music service onto it as well to inflate the price

$23/mo and half that is a music plan I would never use

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
YouTube music is so bad it’s hard to understand how they ended up there. Like, why on earth do I want my music listen history to be tied to the same algorithm as my normal account, meaning that if I spend a day listening to music then back in my main app feed it will all just be music suggestions and if I make music playlists, they’ll clutter up my list of video playlists.

And also it’s way of auto determining which YT videos are actually music, meaning I got suggested “Halo theme song performed by 80 guys in 1 bathroom”

I was hoping that YT premium on VPN pricing might be an affordable replacement for Apple Music but it’s real confusing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I liked it when it was Google Play Music

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They also don't normalize the audio so if you build a playlist from a bunch of random channels you get to adjust the volume yourself for each new song if they weren't mastered properly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm one of those weirdos who streams music across way too many apps, and yeah, couldn't really find a reason to use YouTube Music vs Apple Music, Spotify, and Soundcloud unless you downright refuse to pay for the other services because you already have YouTube Premium.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who streams music across way too many apps, and yeah, couldn't really find a reason to use YouTube Music vs Apple Music, Spotify, and Soundcloud unless you downright refuse to pay for the other services because you already have YouTube Premium.
I do refuse to pay for other services and even in a free trial of Premium I just can’t bring myself to use YouTube Music.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
It's incredibly dumb but some people just create an alt account for their YT music vs YT videos since you can use 5 accounts with YT premium.

They really need to separate the two; if not for the way they intermingle the listening vs viewing it would be a much better service but I think they never will.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Gonna put my hat in the ring as a person who is definitely living in Hungary and paying for YouTube Premium with their primary Google account. It was a pretty easy setup that required verifying my card but not my address or anything and has worked flawlessly for the last 6-8 months.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That’s the plan once my trial expires.

Can you “definitely live in Hungary” for a family plan too? I’ve heard it doesn’t work as smoothly if you wanna do that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’d be interested to hear about that to as my plan is to pull in some people when I re-up.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what's a good Google maps alternative that I can pay for so I don't get all the ads? it's definitely gotten worse over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple Maps it’s also free