Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
a garbage company that posts lovely memes on their facebook page got voted as Regina's best online news source late last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sitchensis posted:

but how did the now nationally ubiquitous media empire CMax acquire its brand name? the question is met by silence from its elderly founders. A spokesperson told us that it simply stands for the high energy experience that is being Canadian, to the max.

I'm not from Calgary, but this is loving bizarre and impenetrable from the outside looking in,

2022 Account Name Update

On May 25th 2022 we changed our username from crackmacs to cmcalgary. On our blog, on our Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Discord and everywhere else it can be changed. Please bear with us as we transition to a new website and having to create new accounts where needed. Changing your username is new to us so its possible some things get missed along the way. Eventually this website will auto re-direct to where people need to go.

Why the account name change?

It was changed because the old name was simply not a good name. It took longer than it should have to come to this realization but we got there. We apologize to anyone that was offended by the old account name it was never our intention to offend anyone.

Why cmcalgary? What does the cm stand for?

cm has been a name people have been calling us for the past several years and it just kind of stuck as its own nickname. A couple of years ago on Twitter we changed the display name to just cm because it felt like a good idea. cm feels like a very different identity than what the old name carried. For the second part of the name, Calgary because the new account name had to be available on FB/IG/Twitter and cmcalgary was! Having the word Calgary in the username also kind of makes sense for us.

cm just stands for cm.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
cumlgary

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Calgary = Cumglary
cm = cm

That concludes our three week intensive course

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i used to live a block away from crack macs, i got food poisoning from the subway upstairs there like three times before i learned my lesson. after i had moved away mrs cob was walking nearby and saw a murderer fleeing after she pushed a teenager under the train (the murderer not mrs cob)

thankfully she didn't see the actual murder and by the time she got anywhere close it was all blocked off already

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

This place is the unceded and ancestral territory of the Laissez's Faire (LF) peoples, which has been stewarded by them since time immemorial.

C-SPAM is located on territory that was never ceded, or given up to the SomethingAwful Administration by LF posters. The term unceded acknowledges the dispossession of the subforum and the inherent rights that LF posters hold to digital territory here on SomethingAwful dot com. The term serves as a reminder that LF peoples have never left their posting stations and will always retain their jurisdiction and relationships with the subfotum.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Doesn't feel right if it doesnt butcher tribe names

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Feds and Ontario government are finally signing the Healthcare agreement tomorrow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to live a block away from crack macs, i got food poisoning from the subway upstairs there like three times before i learned my lesson. after i had moved away mrs cob was walking nearby and saw a murderer fleeing after she pushed a teenager under the train (the murderer not mrs cob)

thankfully she didn't see the actual murder and by the time she got anywhere close it was all blocked off already

I used to live a block away from it too, but never ate at the Subway, much to my betterment it seems.

Not so much open drug dealing around it these days that I notice whenever I drive by, ever since they moved the station half a block east. Also "Crack Circle Ks" just doesn't have the same je ne sais quois

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Sun Life? More like

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Karach posted:

Nice little article summarizing my feelings about Canadaland:

https://www.readthemaple.com/canadaland-staff-promised-to-win-back-my-trust-theyve-failed/

Mastracci makes an interesting observation about the employee union: they did, in fact, put out that statement about Jesse's "outsized voice," and then proceeded to let that outsize voice shout everyone else down. So whose views is the company representing? Do the majority of the workers there actually have a standard-issue lib-centrist Canadian worldview? If they can't articulate what they actually believe, as so many Canadians can't, it probably makes it difficult for them to oppose what Jesse says.

I've gotten into agonizing debates with people over October 7th because their worldview amounts to "killing is bad in all circumstances, full stop, so Hamas is evil!" When confronted with the question of what exactly Hamas is supposed to do to liberate themselves from the concentration camp that even libs will acknowledge they live in, all those libs can say is "well, they should protest better." When you point out that you can't successfully react to violence with non-violence, or when you pull up that Gene Sharp history about the anticommunist origins of the non-violence movement, they have nothing to say (or simply reiterate their moral outrage). To actually think about where one's beliefs come from, and whether they're substantiated, seems to involve physical agony for these people.

The Palestinians literally did the non-violent march mushy libs expect, and they were crushed.

The only options are fight back with force or die a slow suffocating death, and we know which one the pacifists expect.

https://twitter.com/ZaKhatib/status/1755613782364291336

lol

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/1755679069167861868

lmao

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Feb 9, 2024

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

The Palestinians literally did the non-violent march mushy libs expect, and they were crushed.

The only options are fight back with force or die a slow suffocating death, and we know which one the pacifists expect.

https://twitter.com/ZaKhatib/status/1755613782364291336

lol

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/1755679069167861868

lmao

it's incredible how being incredibly soy and a huge pussy is weaponized to defend genocide lol

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just don't have the spoons to discuss why my worldview is complete in an ongoing genocide, could you not?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel posted:

I've been trying to move the conversation to this point, trying to talk about worldview rather that adjudicating the acts of individual Palestinians. He's just trying to find different ways to screech "but do you condemn Hamas?! they killed children! do you endorse killing children?!" at me. it's clearly become more about saving face and "winning" the discussion for him than actually reaching any kind of mutual understanding.

The new universe is starting to fold in on itself.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maybe find Nelson Mandela's words about how every resistance movement has an obligation to attempt non-violent resistance, but when this fails, violence is necessary.

Mandela is like a finishing move in this kind of discussion because his legacy is basically unimpeachable for libs.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I've been using, "If you make non-violent protests impossible, you may make violent uprisings inevitable."

The right-to-return protests really just killed any form of "well, they should have done it this way".

It's been dumb, stupid and really hosed my opinion of several close family members and acquaintances.

C'est la vie

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The thing is Canadian liberals are prone to temporal blindness, so getting them to connect the Great March of Return to Oct 7 is basically impossible. Their only response will be that the Palestinians should have gotten massacred harder until Kendall Jenner gave the Israelis a Pepsi.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Yeah, I've been using, "If you make non-violent protests impossible, you may make violent uprisings inevitable."

The right-to-return protests really just killed any form of "well, they should have done it this way".

It's been dumb, stupid and really hosed my opinion of several close family members and acquaintances.

C'est la vie

As sad as it is, most people just aren't politically conscious enough to get it and never will be under current conditions and propaganda.

Hence the need for a vanguard in any revolutionary struggle.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao what a loving of cowardly loving babies

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

https://twitter.com/citynewsvan/status/1755685896786182594

Rare Eby W

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

The thing is Canadian liberals are prone to temporal blindness, so getting them to connect the Great March of Return to Oct 7 is basically impossible. Their only response will be that the Palestinians should have gotten massacred harder until Kendall Jenner gave the Israelis a Pepsi.

yup. idealism means never having to say you're sorry (to the real world).

PhilippAchtel posted:

Maybe find Nelson Mandela's words about how every resistance movement has an obligation to attempt non-violent resistance, but when this fails, violence is necessary.

Mandela is like a finishing move in this kind of discussion because his legacy is basically unimpeachable for libs.

I actually do like this idea.

but the hurdle we have to get over is the pure defensiveness on his part, to make space for a bigger discussion. people feel very threatened when you question their beliefs. the mere act of asking, even politely and casually, a person to justify themselves is construed by them as an attack. the lib seems to get triggered, like somebody with PTSD. the analytical part of the brain shuts down, the fight instinct takes over, and what should be a purely intellectual discussion becomes loaded with hidden emotional weight. That's when the whatabouts and weird hypotheticals start flying, and things get really hopeless.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who is Bell selling off all that poo poo to, maybe we can pick up a radio station for cheap

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
anyone doubling down on gaza isn't someone you're going to convince with facts and reason, they don't see palestinians as human and logic debates are just a way of trying to express it in polite society language

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think that Canadians, I can't prove this, more than any other people really rely on Gramsci's model of "common sense", because to them even having to articulate their beliefs is preposterous.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

like vampires eh? antisemitic tropes much??

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mila kunis posted:

anyone doubling down on gaza isn't someone you're going to convince with facts and reason, they don't see palestinians as human and logic debates are just a way of trying to express it in polite society language

:shrug: My friend circle has withered in the last few years. It's somebody I was hoping I could at least play board games and poo poo with, maybe even have some good conversations. But I am not Morally Pure enough to breathe the same air, apparently.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Karach posted:

:shrug: My friend circle has withered in the last few years. It's somebody I was hoping I could at least play board games and poo poo with, maybe even have some good conversations. But I am not Morally Pure enough to breathe the same air, apparently.

It sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't take it personally. We just had a bit of a tiff because I was "caught" watching "that traitor Tucker Carleton" interview a world leader.

It's like a reflex or something. Canadians being exposed to uncomfortable ideas is like touching a stove. To them, it seems like you're sticking your arm in a pot of boiling water and inviting them to join you.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

It sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't take it personally. We just had a bit of a tiff because I was "caught" watching "that traitor Tucker Carleton" interview a world leader.

It's like a reflex or something. Canadians being exposed to uncomfortable ideas is like touching a stove. To them, it seems like you're sticking your arm in a pot of boiling water and inviting them to join you.

oh I don't. I've gone through this kind of thing a whole bunch, so I'm used to it now. it sucks, but I've learned to live with the suck. I still hold out hope of encountering somebody who has managed to avoid or repair the brain damage that Canada seems determined to inflict on us all.

I'm not much down with Camus or existentialism any more, but the image of the absurd man has always had some resonance for me. I listen to somebody telling me about the 40 dead babies and in the back of my mind I'm wondering "why do you exist? are you just a sort of artificial vector of propaganda? why does somebody take it upon themselves to voluntarily repeat these silly stories?" Maybe the absurd that so troubled Camus is just loving brain-rotting global capitalism.

quote:

Men, too, secrete the inhuman. At certain moments of lucidity, the mechanical aspect of their gestures, their meaningless pantomime makes silly everything that surrounds them. A man is talking on the telephone behind a glass partition; you cannot hear him, but you see his incomprehensible dumb show: you wonder why he is alive. This discomfort in the face of mans own inhumanity, this incalculable tumble before the image of what we are, this nausea, as a writer of today calls it, is also the absurd.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Frosted Flake posted:

cm just stands for cm.

Crackmacs Punk! Crackmacs Punk! Crackmacs Punk! Crackmacs Punk!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Feb 9, 2024

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

You think that's bad? Some people in this very thread are about to get really mad at me just because I'm about to reveal that I'm having sex with a landlord regularly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

You think that's bad? Some people in this very thread are about to get really mad at me just because I'm about to reveal that I'm having sex with a landlord regularly

mods?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

I'm not mad; I'm just disappointed.

Do you have to do all the work?

Everyone works except the landlord.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

it could be argued that at least you're loving the landlord instead of getting hosed by the landlord but we don't know enough about your relationship to judge

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

giving them the ol' non-refundable deposit, eh?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anticapitalist landlordism:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

retard masturbation is not the same as sex :rolleyes:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

See what I mean???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turpitude posted:

lol

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Turpitude posted:

he's a cop too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I did not know it the evening I got fries at crack macs while hammered, but that was as close as I'd get to being in a heritage moment. It is a bizarre cultural touchstone.