Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I always hated this concept from GITS. If you've got such advanced cybernetic implants, why bother creating all these complex moving parts to physically interface with a keyboard? Just plug yourself in with a USB cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The people in Cyberpunk are always plugging themselves into things and it just results in them constantly getting hacked, killed and their organs stolen. Is that the future you want?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks cool

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

The people in Cyberpunk are always plugging themselves into things and it just results in them constantly getting hacked, killed and their organs stolen. Is that the future you want?

This describes my average quarterly earnings report, so yes I would appreciate the ability to get live subtitles with cheap peasant cybergoggles

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Assassination/VIP mode is the thing I miss from the early days of CS. Oilrig was such a fun map.

I remember when I was a little poo poo one time I shot all my friends as the VIP then somehow managed also kill all the terrorists and win the match anyway. Yeah... maybe stuff like that is why VIP got removed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Why do console gamers want to use their thumbs for everything? You've got 10 fingers.

They're playing one handed, the other hand is holding a hot dog or their tiny peepee.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

in my day we played CT on CS-Office and went vent and we didn't complain about it

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember when I was a little poo poo one time I shot all my friends as the VIP then somehow managed also kill all the terrorists and win the match anyway. Yeah... maybe stuff like that is why VIP got removed.

VIP is not a good game mode for randos because you're relying on one idiot to 1) Not Die and 2) Progress to the Objective in a timely matter.

So either the VIP dies immediately because they stepped out into a long hallway, or they hide in a corner for 20 minutes while half the team is dead or everyone just TDMs.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Counterstrike public matchmaking is a good look at why society doesn't function without rule enforcers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

VIP is not a good game mode for randos because you're relying on one idiot to 1) Not Die and 2) Progress to the Objective in a timely matter.

So either the VIP dies immediately because they stepped out into a long hallway, or they hide in a corner for 20 minutes while half the team is dead or everyone just TDMs.

Yeah, its an unfun asynchronous mode.

I played on some custom server years ago where VIP mode turned the VP into the gargant(?) from half-life and made every other player the other team so it was a 31 v1 blood bath

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Moon Monster posted:

All computer graphics are pixel graphics, actually.

You forgot about Vectrex

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
If I log into Counter-Strike and am not called the N-word by a child within the first couple minutes, it's not the authentic experience, just a pale imitation.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ymgve posted:

You forgot about Vectrex

I didn't. I still have the one I got on my 5th birthday.

And it still works.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Barudak posted:

Yeah, its an unfun asynchronous mode.

I played on some custom server years ago where VIP mode turned the VP into the gargant(?) from half-life and made every other player the other team so it was a 31 v1 blood bath

It works good in game where the VIP can't die. At which point is becomes a race to make your dude get to the objective faster by being an obnoxious pain in the rear end instead of babysitting your idiot.

Forza, or example, does it great with cat and mouse.

No one plays that mode, but it sure is fun as gently caress having a toyota aygo trying to avoid 5 1000hp awd dodge chargers who can't stop because the brakes are for show.

Meanwhile your teams aygo is in the corner depcoting the brazzers.jpg meme.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
is there a way to play morrowind on the switch. i will go to great lengths.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

why would you do that

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

would probably be easier to get it going on your phone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

would probably be easier to get it going on your phone

Much easier probably

https://omw.xyz.is

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Accipiter posted:

I didn't. I still have the one I got on my 5th birthday.

And it still works.

I had an opportunity to inherit a Vectrex when a friend moved away, when I was a kid. But I wanted a SEGA Genesis, and my dad said I could have one or the other.

I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

credburn posted:

If I log into Counter-Strike and am not called the N-word by a child within the first couple minutes, it's not the authentic experience, just a pale imitation.

I like the CS community because it's grown up with me, now I'm called the N-word by a middle aged, recently divorced man.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing through a game to just vaguely pass time and see the end is something I've never been driven by. I'd quite like to be driven by novelty although it sounds like it would be far easier to become bored.

I've literally not felt "bored" since I was 3 and that's awesome

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

credburn posted:

I had an opportunity to inherit a Vectrex when a friend moved away, when I was a kid. But I wanted a SEGA Genesis, and my dad said I could have one or the other.

Slap your dad while you're at it

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

credburn posted:

I mean from a practical perspective at the time the Sega was the better choice. A far more capable system with an infinitely larger library.

But I totally get what you're saying from a decades-later perspective.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Prince of Persia Lost Crown is better than Hollow Knight by a mile

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Prince of Persia games always seemed like something to settle with.

Oh that's what you've got? Ugh fine.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Caesar Saladin posted:

Prince of Persia Lost Crown is better than Hollow Knight by a mile

That's a bold statement.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In a similar vein to the Vectrex story, I was at a Radio Shack once and they had a Turbografx 16 out to play with Bonk's Adventure running. I started playing and a Radioshack guy said he'd let me have it for $20. My mom was there and she said it was up to me. I wanted a Nintendo and suspected that if I got the Turbografx it would be used as a reason I couldn't get a Nintendo so I said no. I remember the Radio Shack guy turning to the other Radio Shack guy and saying 'told ya' like he knew they'd never unload that thing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
check this out

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
BUBSY 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
bubsy 2d ugh it's hideous, hidaous even (demonic god of ugly)

i can see why they invented 3d when 2d graphics were this awful ugh brb (being sick and puking)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's even worse in motion!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Nice Van My Man posted:

can I get Keanu Reeves as my weird best friend that only I can hear?
This is very important to me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

can I get Keanu Reeves as my weird best friend that only I can hear?
This is very important to me

Yeah but he won't be your friend, he's actually super mean

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hack this, bitch

*points to the skin part of the rear end, no ports visible*

not so easy is it?

and that's why AI will fail. just like autotune.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah but he won't be your friend, he's actually super mean

I want my friends to be super mean, who better to put me in my place than my friends?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the MechWarrior series should drop the mercenaries aspect of it and just make a straight up campaign again, like MechWarrior 3.

No, Mech Warrior 2 Ghost zebra legacy had it all right. Story was contained to mission briefings you skipped and then you picked out a mech and your lasers. Occasionally some lady is like "protect the ghost bear clan the 4206th Dragon Battalion is attacking!" Ambient buzzing machine noises with no music, some dude saying Direwolf, Kodiak, etc when swapping Mechs. Then you start a mission and you're doing the mech stuff.

Even the graphics are better since it natively removes all the useless and distracting terrain detail and clutter modern graphics add. You never have to get out of a Mech and talk to anyone or play fantasy football.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Even in MegaMan Battle Network they always need a person who isn't jacked-in to save the day by unplugging the computer or fire making program, because everything online is full of terrorists and viruses.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bubsy was a uniquely ugly game, like even as bad looking as a lot of stuff was it was especially bad

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

No, Mech Warrior 2 Ghost zebra legacy had it all right. Story was contained to mission briefings you skipped and then you picked out a mech and your lasers. Occasionally some lady is like "protect the ghost bear clan the 4206th Dragon Battalion is attacking!" Ambient buzzing machine noises with no music, some dude saying Direwolf, Kodiak, etc when swapping Mechs. Then you start a mission and you're doing the mech stuff.

Even the graphics are better since it natively removes all the useless and distracting terrain detail and clutter modern graphics add. You never have to get out of a Mech and talk to anyone or play fantasy football.

i like textures too much to be on board with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fromsoft journey update: I haven't beat Dark Souls II yet, but I am comfortable saying it's my favorite so far.