Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Careful though. White hot frosting rage can get you flagged as a potential Trump voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I assume the best way to fight the bots is to act like one because I think replying stop/unsubscribe just flags your number as a live person, and also I think a scammer won't want to waste their time talking to another obvious scammer. I save an old "Trump 2024" robo text message complete with "reply STOP to remove" and send this back to every spam text message I receive. So far none have replied "STOP" so I doubt they would honor me replying stop to their messages. Maybe my efforts are futile, but I get a little joy out of making a spammer read Trump propaganda.

Most messages seem to stop, although I had a USPS scammer who burned through another a dozen phone numbers in one day sending me the same scam, each time I replied with the Trump campaign. I collected up all of the numbers then googled a carrier look up and reported their numbers to both the FCC and their carrier. When I called the carrier the agent just said they were reselling the numbers in block and had no possible idea who was using their numbers and couldn't be held responsible for customer actions etc. I didn't receive anymore postal mail scam messages after that.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 20, 2024

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
It's good to have hobbies :mmmhmm:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've never gotten a 2nd political message after replying STOP. For scam/phishing stuff I use the report button and block the number.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Having done some "text out the vote" activity, the texting end user isn't fed contacts that have replied "stop". They're removed. There is also always a "take me off your list" selection, and that is something of a magical phrase. It gets the calling party off the hook -- it's now a "successful" call -- and generally gets you out of the interaction immediately.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

bort posted:

Having done some "text out the vote" activity, the texting end user isn't fed contacts that have replied "stop". They're removed. There is also always a "take me off your list" selection, and that is something of a magical phrase. It gets the calling party off the hook -- it's now a "successful" call -- and generally gets you out of the interaction immediately.
If it's legitimate, sure I will reply "stop" but when it's an obvious scam text message then replying stop won't work. I know with emails the unsubscribe links work with legitimate mailing lists, but don't work for scams. For example, if give out my email during checkout, I can expect to have to unsubscribe to a mailing list soon, that is legit. But I often get several emails a day all addressed to "PAUL PAUL", my name is not Paul, nor is my email address. I click unsubscribe links and the flow doesn't slow down, I just keep getting different free gifts and other scams all addressed to PAUL PAUL.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sounds like a great use of filters to delete "PAUL PAUL" emails automatically then

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Inceltown posted:

Sounds like a great use of filters to delete "PAUL PAUL" emails automatically then

Just never take a job producing the Finebaum show

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Oh yay, something I can chime in on.

I worked at one of the companies that sends out the texts. They use what is called P2P texting, which gets around the robo texting regulations by having a "live" person do the texting. Basically, they queue up a poo poo ton of texts and just click as fast as they can to send them out. That's literally it.

If you send back a text, besides stop, rarely does it ever get noticed in the noise. On occasion, you'll get volunteers doing the texting when a campaign can't afford the P2P texting rates.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I see from my Instagram feed that the old Medical Billing Work From Home scam is making the rounds again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

I see from my Instagram feed that the old Medical Billing Work From Home scam is making the rounds again.

Could you briefly describe that one? Is it obvious, or could it sucker someone actually looking for work to fall into it fairly easy?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Could you briefly describe that one? Is it obvious, or could it sucker someone actually looking for work to fall into it fairly easy?
https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/home-medical-billing-businesses

Just a small fee for your training materials and your first set of leads...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bort posted:

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/home-medical-billing-businesses

Just a small fee for your training materials and your first set of leads...

Okay, cool - thank you. I want to be able to warn people who might be vulnerable to that one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had someone who I knew was not completely honest once offer me a side gig doing medical billing. I think it was an actual job, subcontracting type of thing, just a low-paying and crappy one that paid by the inch (as in a stack of paper) or something.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

https://pluralistic.net/2024/02/05/cyber-dunning-kruger/

Pretty wild scam, ups the ante

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A finance worker at a multinational firm was tricked into paying out $25 million to fraudsters using deepfake technology to pose as the company’s chief financial officer in a video conference call, according to Hong Kong police.
The elaborate scam saw the worker duped into attending a video call with what he thought were several other members of staff, but all of whom were in fact deepfake recreations, Hong Kong police said at a briefing on Friday.

At 25 mill, I guess you can afford to sink a lot of resources into this.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

doctorfrog posted:

I had someone who I knew was not completely honest once offer me a side gig doing medical billing. I think it was an actual job, subcontracting type of thing, just a low-paying and crappy one that paid by the inch (as in a stack of paper) or something.

The one my co-worker's wife got sucked into back in the 90s was that you paid a shitload of money up front for the classes and the software, then they gave you a list of "leads" so you could set yourself up as an independent contractor working from home and start raking it in.

The "leads" were either: a)Outright Fakes or b)Medical Offices that already had staff/contractors/companies doing their billing for them.

I don't recall the exact amount but it was in the neighborhood of around $2,000USD, a lot of money back then.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

bamhand posted:

A finance worker at a multinational firm was tricked into paying out $25 million to fraudsters using deepfake technology to pose as the company’s chief financial officer in a video conference call, according to Hong Kong police.
The elaborate scam saw the worker duped into attending a video call with what he thought were several other members of staff, but all of whom were in fact deepfake recreations, Hong Kong police said at a briefing on Friday.

At 25 mill, I guess you can afford to sink a lot of resources into this.
That's one cyberpunk-rear end heist, drat lol

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Advance payment scam is back and targeting therapists

E: see my f/u post

Pershing fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 9, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, that's a whole rainbow of scams. Check fraud, bogus prestige certifications and uh, some incel rear end in a top hat harassing therapists?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel compelled to point out that article is from 2009.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
scammed again!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I feel compelled to point out that article is from 2009.

Yeah, I didn't notice that. It is hitting my local therapy community again (source: I'm a therapist). The person who shared it to the group I'm in passed it on to me.

I've gotten those calls before and they're one of the reason I have a 'no checks' policy.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
This isn't really a scam question but I wasn't sure where else I could post it on here. My house after a recent storm has some water damage coming from somewhere in the attic. I've got a company that specializes in repairs coming out to check it out and do gutter cleaning. I also have my housing insurance coming out to check it out and see if they will approve/disapprove my claim.

I (probably dumb) brought up with the house repair company that my insurance is investigating to see if they will approve and they asked if they could have the insurance claim # and be out there the same day to ask the insurance agent questions. Are they just trying to rack up repair bills on insurance dime, or is this standard operation procedure? I know if the insurance claim is approved, they would need it then.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

This isn't really a scam question but I wasn't sure where else I could post it on here. My house after a recent storm has some water damage coming from somewhere in the attic. I've got a company that specializes in repairs coming out to check it out and do gutter cleaning. I also have my housing insurance coming out to check it out and see if they will approve/disapprove my claim.

I (probably dumb) brought up with the house repair company that my insurance is investigating to see if they will approve and they asked if they could have the insurance claim # and be out there the same day to ask the insurance agent questions. Are they just trying to rack up repair bills on insurance dime, or is this standard operation procedure? I know if the insurance claim is approved, they would need it then.

I've only had to do big home repairs a few times but in each case the tradespeople didn't give a poo poo about what the insurance company were doing, they came out, gave me a quote and that was it. I don't understand why they'd want to talk to the insurance company other than to try and make sure that they were the ones getting the job maybe?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fil5000 posted:

I've only had to do big home repairs a few times but in each case the tradespeople didn't give a poo poo about what the insurance company were doing, they came out, gave me a quote and that was it. I don't understand why they'd want to talk to the insurance company other than to try and make sure that they were the ones getting the job maybe?

The insurance company has told me if the claim is approved there's a $1,000 deductible and then the rest the insurance will pay for, and they don't care who I go with in terms of provider, although they do have a list of companies they prefer. The service provider seems a bit gung-ho in attitude.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 9, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Any reviews on Trustpilot or anything like that about the provider? Might be one overzealous dude or might be a pattern of iffy behaviour.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fil5000 posted:

Any reviews on Trustpilot or anything like that about the provider? Might be one overzealous dude or might be a pattern of iffy behaviour.

All the reviews are stellar and a few I see now mention they like to coordinate with the insurance agent about conditions of the roof.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

All the reviews are stellar and a few I see now mention they like to coordinate with the insurance agent about conditions of the roof.

They're generally asking because they want to both try to make sure your claim is approved, and because they want to make sure the insurance company pays out for anything that's damaged. I worked in roofing, and we would do the same thing. The insurance company has a vested interest in either denying or minimizing the money you receive, while the contractor wants to maximize the payout.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Shroud posted:

They're generally asking because they want to both try to make sure your claim is approved, and because they want to make sure the insurance company pays out for anything that's damaged. I worked in roofing, and we would do the same thing. The insurance company has a vested interest in either denying or minimizing the money you receive, while the contractor wants to maximize the payout.

Good to know, should I tell insurance the company will be there same day? Would that be considered rude if I let them get surprised?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Good to know, should I tell insurance the company will be there same day? Would that be considered rude if I let them get surprised?

You can give them a heads up if you want. It's in the contractor's best interest to be nice to the insurance adjuster, so it shouldn't be a big deal either way. If either one of them has been in the business for a decent amount of time, there's a good chance they know each other anyway.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Had a client today trying to send $2500 to a "friend" who was stuck in Australia and needed to pay for a charter flight home.

She insisted everything was legit and he even sent her a copy of his passport to prove... he was real, I guess?

Anyway she sent us the picture he sent her. It was some weird AI generated image of a passport. Fonts not quite right. Numbers didn't match up. It even listed the guy as both a male and female in different places. But the best part was the photo. It hadn't been adjusted to appear like it was attached to the passport (which was slightly angled like resting on a table). It was just a headshot of a guy copy pasted over the passport.

After a good laugh we were able to point out all the issues and convince her it was a scam.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zero One posted:

After a good laugh we were able to point out all the issues and convince her it was a scam.

I'm glad you got a happy ending this time!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zero One posted:

Anyway she sent us the picture he sent her. It was some weird AI generated image of a passport. Fonts not quite right. Numbers didn't match up. It even listed the guy as both a male and female in different places. But the best part was the photo. It hadn't been adjusted to appear like it was attached to the passport (which was slightly angled like resting on a table). It was just a headshot of a guy copy pasted over the passport.

Have you ever played Papers Please? Because it sounds like you're the right person to do it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Comstar posted:

Have you ever played Papers Please? Because it sounds like you're the right person to do it.

It really was a Jorji level fake.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
For a while I was posting on a site (it was reddit) trying to help people who were being scammed, but I had to give up because I was overwhelmed by people continually trying to provide more evidence of why the obvious scam was actually not a scam.

The worst was people who had been tricked by crypto scams being completely unwilling to believe there was no magic way to get the crypto back and literally pleading with me to tell them some random recovery scammer they found was legitimate.

For every one person you help there are dozens more who you're too late to help or who just don't want to be helped. It's soul crushing!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zero One posted:

It really was a Jorji level fake.

The moment where you ask 'Jorji, what's that under your shirt?' and he goes happily 'IS DRUGS! :D :D :D' is one of my favourite moments in a videogame ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

The moment where you ask 'Jorji, what's that under your shirt?' and he goes happily 'IS DRUGS! :D :D :D' is one of my favourite moments in a videogame ever.

How long did it take for that game to quit being just a misery simulator? I played it for a few hours and it seemed like it was just "do whatever with passports then you have no money and your family dies" with no plot or interesting characters coming to you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Guys I just stumbled onto an amazing opportunity

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2aJBrqpdC1/?igsh=aWc0eWJmeGtweTBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

How long did it take for that game to quit being just a misery simulator? I played it for a few hours and it seemed like it was just "do whatever with passports then you have no money and your family dies" with no plot or interesting characters coming to you.

You definitely did not play for hours since you get your first plot relevant interaction by something like the 5th day. If I recall there's something like 12 possible endings?