Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tanks are going to melt even faster with that healing reduction from dps damage, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's no reason to put any effort into the "jade" weapons. They aren't being sold for 20 bux each, so just take the gold weapon shader and remove the red from the base color.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705709667180594

Uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705726071185911

hmmmmm

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705735055335427

just wow beginning to think Blizzard might be trash

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705720991818214
https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705741845926073

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You left out the surprise 3-month non-compete they dropped on him last minute

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1755705709667180594.html

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Green! Your guns get to be green.

or possibly your finger.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Sockser posted:

You left out the surprise 3-month non-compete they dropped on him last minute

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1755705709667180594.html

Well I'm sure the individuals responsible for this bait-and-switch are no longer with the company, especially after this most recent round of layoffs. Right?

Right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blizzard sounds like a terrible company, drat.

Also a good lesson that HR is never your friend. They are there for the company only. This goes for every HR department everywhere.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Blizzard sounds like a terrible company, drat.

Also a good lesson that HR is never your friend. They are there for the company only. This goes for every HR department everywhere.

HR is like Cops, even if they want to help you out the system is stacked against it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

socialsecurity posted:

HR is like Cops, even if they want to help you out the system is stacked against it.

And the good ones get run out.

Blizzard used to be my favorite game company, just non-stop quality and fun games for years and years, until Kotick 'The enshittifier supreme' Kotick jammed his greasy thumb into the works. Wishing him the worst!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have to completely rewire my pharah brain after this rework

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've only played a little but I already feel like dps are more dangerous

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I played 3 matches this morning - on All Roles because the DPS queue was 5 + mins - so of course I got tank in all 3. And yeah, you really notice that A) everything is harder to kill when you're on tank, except B) yourself when there are DPS shooting at you.

I did notice that the support elims in all 3 games were lower than what I'm used to seeing, maybe another result of this patch?

But the big takeaway is that tank can still feel pretty miserable to play so I think that's going to be a long term problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

perhaps this problem could be fixed by adding a second tank to each team to split up the damage taken. thoughts?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Played 4 games with my partner tonight, and went 3 and 1. I was DPS/Support.

Overall, games seem to move faster now. The fights, once they start, don't get drawn out forever. DPS feel like they can make an impact, and a support is only prolonging a fight, not extending it out to infinity.

As a hitscan on soldier, it did feel like I was much more consistent with my shots than previously. My average on soldier is 33% (profile), and I hit 44% in a game tonight without being super warmed up on him or anything.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 14, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only tank that I think benefitted from the patch was Junker Queen, just because she relies so heavily on landing her knife and its hitbox feels much bigger now. But tanks are definitely the big losers of the update

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkI0d31Pmc

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Haha, goddamn 'just aims in general vicinity, kills'. Going to give it a spin later tonight but not optimistic about any of this and right on the heels of Blizzard killing off my favorite Hearthstone mode.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I decided to try zen after not playing him for years, and he crushes right now. Balls so big.

e: I dunno about this "reset". It gravitated right back where my MMR was in a few games.

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 14, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It certainly has captured the 2016 overwatch vibe of every comp game having someone losing it over mic while an enemy Hanzo gets 49 elims

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The hitboxes are laughable now.

Sure blizzard, that will fix the game you've run UNDER the ground. Make everything easier to hit! But harder to kill. That will make it feel better; the reason people don't like your game is because they suck, and want to hit, but not kill things.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

at bare minimum, the changes managed to bring some attention back to the game; it's been near the top on twitch all day, which is a pretty impressive swing for something that's been hovering at 20k for months now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that's because they're doing drops and promoted streams rn

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So, Hanzo can insta-kill people that are fully behind cover, again, just like he could at the beginning of OW1?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kind of insane to me they didn't just reduce the instantaneous acceleration

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that's because they're doing drops and promoted streams rn

I mean I guess you gotta do something with that marketing budget

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

kind of insane to me they didn't just reduce the instantaneous acceleration

i think their logic is that movement feeling gummier is going to be way more noticeable and aggravating compared to the occasional air headshot, since one is active all the time and the other is comparatively rare (or at least harder to tell)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the drops are for a Legendary skin from the first season (Cyberpunk Zen) which is a pretty great drop but also is set at 12 hours so I'm not at all surprised they're top on Twitch (I've got it open in a muted tab myself)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 14, 2024

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

These projectile size changes are loving awful. I hope they revert them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://streamable.com/fdanbj

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vermain posted:

i think their logic is that movement feeling gummier is going to be way more noticeable and aggravating compared to the occasional air headshot, since one is active all the time and the other is comparatively rare (or at least harder to tell)
yah i get that logic but most action fps games like quake or cod or apex or the finals have a noticeable transition time to switch directions and everyone is cool with it

game doesn't have to feel like 2d megaman

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I suspect that I know exactly why they've made these changes, and why they haven't stated exactly why they've made these changes but talked around it and offered a bunch of justifications that sound a little off to anyone who knows the rudiments of the game. Or what the game used to be.

It's as simple as this: going F2P brought in absolute hordes of new players to a game that is extremely complex and mechanically demanding to play in the way it was originally designed to be played. Those new players are very, very bad at the game. I remember seeing early on that the devs were shocked by how many people are Bronze 5 or technically, lower, if they could be, and are not improving or ever likely will. But they like the game because appealing characters and fun abilities and movement feels good. The superficial level is great.

They can't segregate these people off reliably because queue times are the holy grail and they know to a fine art what queue times they have to optimise for to meet gamer psychology. There have been a bunch of studies done on this. People say they want close matches but the reality is that most people look at other games if the queue times blow out to where they would need to be to make properly close matches. So, they don't make close matches. They make "probably playable" matches that are wildly imbalanced.

(I also believe - based on my own recording of games for a long time, and the anecdotal similarities of other players' experiences) that they swing it vaguely towards "this guy lost a bunch in unfavourable matches, so now allocate him favourable matches for a bit." That's speculation on my part but it fits what I've seen.

So - what do you do when you have a game where matches are being almost crippled by having a glut of players who can't play? Can't aim, can't position, can't group, don't understand ability mechanics or timing? You don't want those players to get discouraged by not being able to do anything in a match and dying over and over and losing game after game after game. They might not spend money on cosmetics if that happens.

So, you patch the game to make all those things less relevant so that they don't impact matches as much. You make it so that people get punished less for their mistakes but one team will still eventually win the fight through sheer attrition, and the whole time all those people feel like they're doing something. Look! Hit markers! I pushed a button and a thing happened! I didn't need to aim or be clever with it and that guy who can aim and be clever with his abilities didn't really get much advantage over me!

E: And to clarify my original point, the reason they can't just come out and state this is that they can't tell the player base "We are making these changes because you are, on average, very bad to terrible at the game. You're not even good enough to understand that you're bad, let alone why. So we're putting padding on all the sharp edges in case you trip while you're toddling around doing shootmans." Because no-one wants to hear that. They want to feel like they're surprisingly good at the game. And spend money on the new skin for their favorite guy.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 14, 2024

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I was trying to put my finger on the gamefeel now - it's like being on painkillers. Everything is numb and soft. I was playing Hog in QP and he feels like a wet paper bag.

SadisTech posted:

Smart words

So it's for people with controllers, basically.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

SadisTech posted:

(I also believe - based on my own recording of games for a long time, and the anecdotal similarities of other players' experiences) that they swing it vaguely towards "this guy lost a bunch in unfavourable matches, so now allocate him favourable matches for a bit." That's speculation on my part but it fits what I've seen.

When you lose a bunch, your internal MMR goes down, so you get matched agasint "less good" players, so you're more likely to win. This isn't some grand conspiracy. YOu win, games get harder. You lose, games get easier.

One of my games last night, was more or less a 4v5, with my team only having 4 players. I'm the soldier, and my duo is with me as moria. After the first few engagements, said something in chat about it, as nicely-but-slighty-salty, like hey we need you to help.

Anyway, the second support stopped dumping resources into them, and the game got better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Rawrbomb posted:

When you lose a bunch, your internal MMR goes down, so you get matched agasint "less good" players, so you're more likely to win. This isn't some grand conspiracy. YOu win, games get harder. You lose, games get easier.

One of my games last night, was more or less a 4v5, with my team only having 4 players. I'm the soldier, and my duo is with me as moria. After the first few engagements, said something in chat about it, as nicely-but-slighty-salty, like hey we need you to help.

Anyway, the second support stopped dumping resources into them, and the game got better.

I've already responded to this exact argument a couple of times upthread and to put it politely, no. Bullshit. Your MMR adjustment does not cause you to pivot sharply every 5-7 games from "getting your gently caress stomped in" to "stomping the other team's gently caress in". I'm not interested in relitigating it but this is not even close to the observable mechanism in play.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Sloppy posted:

I was trying to put my finger on the gamefeel now - it's like being on painkillers. Everything is numb and soft. I was playing Hog in QP and he feels like a wet paper bag.

So it's for people with controllers, basically.

Just how right you are... I have a few friends who play on console and they are RAVING about how good this patch feels.

Some direct quotes:

"I'm playing a few atm DPS projectile especially is way better Hanzo is playable again"
"I thought I'd see a bit more improvement out of ana and ilari tbh they're still not great to have on team"
"Torb feels super consistent, Widow feels threatening again as well"

E: this is from Diamond - Masters on Xbox fwiw. It is a different world

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 14, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Console gamers stay winning

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

it was just a mystery heroes match so there wasn't exactly "coordination" or "teamwork" going on, but my god playing Tracer feels like you're a murder machine now. it's SO easy to dump clips into people and watch them melt, then TP away.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SadisTech posted:

I've already responded to this exact argument a couple of times upthread and to put it politely, no. Bullshit. Your MMR adjustment does not cause you to pivot sharply every 5-7 games from "getting your gently caress stomped in" to "stomping the other team's gently caress in". I'm not interested in relitigating it but this is not even close to the observable mechanism in play.

I second this.

My match history had a clear pattern of lose streak - win streak - lose streak - win streak and after of a few months of that I got completely sick of it and I haven't played since.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

SadisTech posted:

Your own feelings are not confirmation, they are bias. Yes, when you go on a lose streak, you can go down a lot of internal MMR, at least a hundred points if we're talking 5-7 games. That's enough of a change in the MMR that the group composition changes, and now you're in a better position.

Like, for whatever reason, sometimes even if you should win on paper, the people on your team are not on their best game, or they're one tricking, or whatever. Sometimes you get a team mate, who isn't supposed to be in your match like from my screenshot above. That person was not correctly ranked for the game we were playing in QP. They walked out of spawn 12 times, most of the time they'd do nothing besides walk back.

Jack Trades posted:

I second this.

My match history had a clear pattern of lose streak - win streak - lose streak - win streak and after of a few months of that I got completely sick of it and I haven't played since.

Maybe you're just worse than you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Your own feelings are not confirmation, they are bias. Yes, when you go on a lose streak, you can go down a lot of internal MMR, at least a hundred points if we're talking 5-7 games. That's enough of a change in the MMR that the group composition changes, and now you're in a better position.

Like, for whatever reason, sometimes even if you should win on paper, the people on your team are not on their best game, or they're one tricking, or whatever. Sometimes you get a team mate, who isn't supposed to be in your match like from my screenshot above. That person was not correctly ranked for the game we were playing in QP. They walked out of spawn 12 times, most of the time they'd do nothing besides walk back.

Random factors won't create a regular pattern and if they're just worse than they think then shouldn't the matchmaker simply put them on a lower rank that will actually result in roughly 50/50 games and not win/lose streaks?

Rawrbomb posted:

Ok? Then put me at a lower rank.
Me being worse than I think still doesn't explain constant streaks.