Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why does the sonic franchise have a "plot" while mario never bothered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nichael posted:

Will Madame Web be funny bad or boring bad?

it looks like a CW tv show

e: sonic has always had continuity, someone didnt play generations

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kraven will be good

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

e: sonic has always had continuity, someone didnt read Ken Penders Magnum Opus

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

why does the sonic franchise have a "plot" while mario never bothered

Shigeru Miyamoto is a toymaker who deeply resents the idea that games should have stories.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

how did the sonic franchise get a "serious" plot though? is it just furries?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think there's a certain blindness to people who don't actually like superheroes to why concepts like the Marvels and Eternals are dull and come off as basically vaguely superhero-flavoured white noise compared to things like a shrinking thief or a reality-twisting wizard. See the complaints about MCU finales turning into figures floating around shooting lasers at each other until one of them falls down, and Eternals and the Marvels are peak that.

Nuh uh, sometimes figure float around and wind up punches at each other until one of them falls down and gives a speech.

The point where I was just totally over capeshit was in the middle of Winter Soldier. Any enthusiasm I had left for that poo poo was gone right there in the theater with yet another rear end in a top hat in a costume winding up a big ol punch before he got one himself until the protagonist won.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

how did the sonic franchise get a "serious" plot though? is it just furries?

Probably due to the Archie comic run from the early 90’s that was written by an insane lunatic named Ken Penders. I’m not sure if he is a furry though. He did manage to successfully steal the American rights to Sonic from Sega for awhile though. Archie comics is a weird company!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Kraven will be good

would you say you’re kraven’ it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Probably due to the Archie comic run from the early 90’s that was written by an insane lunatic named Ken Penders. I’m not sure if he is a furry though. He did manage to successfully steal the American rights to Sonic from Sega for awhile though. Archie comics is a weird company!

Interesting, I appreciate the sincere answer because I've always been so confused by this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I read these for a little while when I was a kid

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If I remember correctly, this is because they literally lost the relevant contracts, so when he said he had the rights to a bunch of characters, they couldn't prove he didnt.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If I remember correctly, this is because they literally lost the relevant contracts, so when he said he had the rights to a bunch of characters, they couldn't prove he didnt.

ken penders stealth mission to steal the contracts from the sega filing cabinets

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

would you say you’re kraven’ it

If you weren't so kraven, you'd be hyped for Kraven too.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

deadpool 3 will have x-men in it therfore i will watch. The X-men comics are my fav comics by like a lot, way more then the next closest Spider-Man.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

I read these for a little while when I was a kid

Despite everything, Sonic Satam is still a cherished childhood memory.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Cael posted:

there’s movies a beer or two at the theater will make an entertaining enough watch

and then there’s some better done at home because you need a six pack or two

My fav of the later is Outlander, the scifi Beowulf starring Jim Caviezel

Hell it might even be good sober, there's def at least one Dragonslayer reference in there

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that reminds me:

Outland (1981) is a great flick; it's a remake of High Noon set on a mining station on Io

Sean Connery is a space sheriff with a space gun, and it has Peter Boyle. he doesn't do the frankenstein bit at any point but it would be funny if he did

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

Will Madame Web be funny bad or boring bad?

Boring bad. All of those films have been boring bad.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Boring bad. All of those films have been boring bad.

Yeah, Morbius wasnt funny bad, but execs taking the Morbmentum memes seriously and re-releasing it was very funny

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Yeah, Morbius wasnt funny bad, but execs taking the Morbmentum memes seriously and re-releasing it was very funny

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

kinda funny Eternals didn't get the same treatment

"The internet can't stop talking about Kingo"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I think the only time in cinema history where the distributor actually lost money putting out copies lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto is a toymaker who deeply resents the idea that games should have stories.

To be fair he’s often right. Mario’s world is way better as a cast of stock characters who can be easily plugged into any conceivable scenario. And his games are better because I can just jump on the goomba without having to hear to toad drone on about how important it is to stop said goomba and what a threat goombas are. It would suck for Mario to have “lore” or “plot”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Also didn't help that Sega literally didn't send anyone to show up to court apparently

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

To be fair he’s often right. Mario’s world is way better as a cast of stock characters who can be easily plugged into any conceivable scenario. And his games are better because I can just jump on the goomba without having to hear to toad drone on about how important it is to stop said goomba and what a threat goombas are. It would suck for Mario to have “lore” or “plot”.

But Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario are loving classics

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Knight posted:

kinda funny Eternals didn't get the same treatment

"The internet can't stop talking about Kingo"

Morbin time was a genuinely popular meme, I think only our dead gay forum got Kingo krazed

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Him putting his foot down about this is why the Switch Paper Mario game couldn't have NPC monsters with unique sprites or names though, he takes it too far

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario are loving classics

Paper Mario is the epitome of that though. Mario just wanders about gawking at random silly characters doing random silly things while you stomp Goombas until the game arbitrarily decides it’s time to finally rescue Peach. Nothing has an explanation or justification nor needs one, it’s just “I’m a Goomba with a Pirate Hat! Yarr!”.
Mario RPG on the other hand may or may not be that, the game was so unfun to play I stopped playing right at the start.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Paper Mario is the epitome of that though. Mario just wanders about gawking at random silly characters doing random silly things while you stomp Goombas until the game arbitrarily decides it’s time to finally rescue Peach. Nothing has an explanation or justification nor needs one, it’s just “I’m a Goomba with a Pirate Hat! Yarr!”.
Mario RPG on the other hand may or may not be that, the game was so unfun to play I stopped playing right at the start.

I'm not really sure you played Paper Mario either tbh

It's lighthearted and kid-accessible but it's not random or arbitrary at all :confused:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Eric Cantonese posted:

Even if Covid hadn't happened, The Eternals is one of the comic concepts that comic fans tend to overrate because it's a Kirby creation. It was fantastic art and interesting thematic concepts combined with some very stilted writing (which could be said for pretty much anything Kirby did after parting ways with Stan Lee). It's the kind of concept that only really goes well with hardcore nerds I don't think it was ever going to do well.

In a sane world, Marvel would have just let the public take a 2-3 year break after Endgame and stuck just to TV or something like that and I think they'd be in a much better position. We don't live in that world, though.

it was Kirbys weakest work, he used up all the good ideas on New Gods

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

that reminds me:

Outland (1981) is a great flick; it's a remake of High Noon set on a mining station on Io

Sean Connery is a space sheriff with a space gun, and it has Peter Boyle. he doesn't do the frankenstein bit at any point but it would be funny if he did

hell yeah, you're always in for a pretty good time with Peter Hyams flicks

Outland
Capricorn One
Running Scared
Timecop
Sudden Death
Busting
End Of Days
Stay Tuned

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I get where Miyamoto is coming from. The Japanese industry in the 80's and 90's had tons of people in it who would have rather been working in film instead of video games, and apparently they would never shut up about it. That attitude got on his nerves after awhile, because he was like, "Oh, so my chosen profession isn't good enough for you assholes? Yeah, gently caress you too."

What happened to the Paper Mario games was total bullshit though. Those were great RPGs. Technically they were made by the guys who did Fire Emblem though, and I think Nintendo wasn't comfortable having a bunch of trademarked Nintendo-looking characters that were technically owned by someone else, so I think that is one of the major reasons they clamped down on those games, and it wasn't just Miyamoto's preferences.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Laterite posted:

hell yeah, you're always in for a pretty good time with Peter Hyams flicks

Outland
Capricorn One
Running Scared
Timecop
Sudden Death
Busting
End Of Days
Stay Tuned

drat I've only seen maybe half of these, adding to my Plex now :twisted:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

galagazombie posted:

What

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

quote:

Set in the Mushroom Kingdom, the game begins when Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Peach for a party at the castle. There, when Mario and Peach are alone, Bowser lifts her castle, overpowers Mario with his invincibility that he gained by stealing the Star Rod and imprisoning the seven Star Spirits; Mario is thrown away from the castle in the sky and lands in Goomba Village, where he is aided by Goombario and his family. Mario and Goombario make their way to Shooting Star Summit, where the weakened seven Star Spirits' request Mario to find them in order to stop Bowser's invincibility. Mario and his friends go to the four Koopa Bros.' fortress where they save the first Star Spirit. and they find the second one in the Dry, Dry Desert inside a secret fortress ruled over by Tutankoopa. The third one is being kept by Tubba Bubba, a nemesis scaring the Boos and eating them when he is "invincible" (his heart is his true weak point). The fourth one is kept by the General Guy and his minions living in the Toy Box. Mario and his new friends travel to Lavalava Land, an island where its inhabitants are threatened by an impending volcanic eruption. After saving the fifth Spirit, they journey to Flower Fields retrieving the sixth one. Mario becomes a suspect of murder when he finds the Shiver City's mayor unconscious; after solving the mystery (which was the mayor's own accident), Mario gets to the Crystal Palace where he saves the last Star Spirit from the Crystal King. As he has saved every Star Spirit, Mario then departs to Peach's Castle.

Meanwhile, Peach tries in numerous attempts to escape the castle alongside Twink. The player controls Peach in a variety of minigames each time Mario saves a Star Spirit, such as baking a cake for a Shy Guy or even cloning the appearance of Bowser's minions with a magic umbrella. At the end of every gameplay segment with Peach, she overhears Bowser speaking about the bosses Mario beats before being discovered and then transported to her room again.

Mario enters the castle and confronts Bowser; with the power of the seven Star Spirits, Mario manages to beat Bowser by stopping his invincibility while Peach and Twink battle Bowser's sidekick Kammy Koopa. Mario and Peach, alongside their friends, eventually win against Bowser and Kammy. The Star Spirits restore the castle to its spot. On another day, Mario and Luigi receives a letter for another party, which lead to a parade as the game's credits rolls, and Mario and Peach watch fireworks together at his home.

as good as any sonic game imo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and that's just the first game, the next two being a touch deeper than arbitrarily saving peach

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

In which game do the mario bros eiffel tower that guy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Rosalina have mercy on your soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

In which game do the mario bros eiffel tower that guy

That was actually a WarioWare game