Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ghostlight posted:

are you gesturing toward the quentin tweet posted in this thread that is explicitly about a video concentrating on dan schneider alone?

Whoops, was thinking of the tweet before it. I changed it, didn't like how it was worded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Okay, I have to ask, what the gently caress is up with this Quentin guy??

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Okay, I have to ask, what the gently caress is up with this Quentin guy??

Some people interpreted his extremely pointed 'avoidance' of mentioning Dan Schneider (like, it was so obviously drawing attention to Schneider that it got me to look up who the guy even was in the first video) as sincerely not wanting to have that conversation at all instead of very clearly saving him for the climax of this series.

Others got that that was what he was doing but still objected to that method.

Others just thought it was dumb to spend dozens of hours on thinner and thinner quantities of TV episodes.

Others bemoan him shifting into this format vs his old style.

And others don't mind the length or content of the videos, they wish they were out sooner.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
It just reminds me of early angry video game nerd and the like where there is always this poo poo subplot of "I will never review this thing, you can't make me" (like E.T. for Atari 2600)

Only instead of a silly thing like a comic book or a movie, it's an abusive mega producer and showrunner, so there really isn't much to laugh about.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

the funny thing is that Quinton actually is working on a multi-hour Schneider video right now, but based on his reaction to Defunctland's Wiggles video, he'll probably cancel this project too once he sees that trailer

and just move right on to henry danger and be like "if I get 5 million subscribers, i'll watch the entirety of the babysitter's club tv show, becausee I hate my life (WINK) (oh i'd really hate to have to do THIS one!)"

He once said he'd do a Homestuck video if he got enough income on Patreon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Equeen posted:

Jack Saint talks about Palworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSPkBM-1yHM

It does a good job verbalizing my mixed feelings about the game; it’s not actually plagiarizing Pokémon, but it feels so derivative that it comes across as a cheap cash in to multiple gaming trends.
i wonder if part of the reaction to this is because gaming budgets have bloated enough that you dont get this kind of cashgrab anymore. durign the initial pokemon craze there were a hundred terrible derivative pokemon clones and nobody was talking about their mixed feelings on Robopon. some people genuinely might not be used to this kind of thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It just reminds me of early angry video game nerd and the like where there is always this poo poo subplot of "I will never review this thing, you can't make me" (like E.T. for Atari 2600)

Only instead of a silly thing like a comic book or a movie, it's an abusive mega producer and showrunner, so there really isn't much to laugh about.
i just think its kinda weird to see a bunch of people talking about being sexually abused as children and immediately rushing to tweet about the consequences this may have on your youtube videos

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Reminds me of a sci-fi reviewer who has a note on his website that he will review a particular novel (I think it's Heinlein's Number of the Beast), but only if paid $1000 to do so.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Endorph posted:

i just think its kinda weird to see a bunch of people talking about being sexually abused as children and immediately rushing to tweet about the consequences this may have on your youtube videos

Absolutely this as well.

For almost every content creator I've ever spoken to, it's a hobby that becomes second income, and then eventually they reach that pivot point where they have to decide to make it a full time career or not

And Quinton is just skipping all those steps and trying to throw poo poo at a wall to get a (decent) Patreon while so many (arguably better) creators are still struggling to make ends meet with unique or better ideas.

I understand people want "influencer" to be their job, but it's such a lottery and even if you make it, you're one bad day away from being Jirard The Completionist.

Personally, I would just do something I'm happy about, and if there's a few dollars, that's kinda cool.

I'm surprised he doesn't just pivot into just going on twitch and watch along episodes of Drake and Josh.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I was wondering why people were saying the Pokemon Competetive scene was so costly, what with how easy it is to mold Pokemon now.
Then I saw the part of 'Transfer pokemon are now allowed' and it all clicked.
The game's obsession with the 0 speed or 0 atk stat is ridiculous though, and all because of a one or two moves.

RareAcumen posted:

It's bizarre how 'I don't like this video game' isn't enough of an answer to some people. You need the legal system on your side and the farmers and your neighborhood baker and all the magicians in a three mile radius and whatever. It's weird how hard people are working to hopefully get the game sued and eventually removed by Nintendo to... ??? ends.

Even Nintendo's response sounded more like "Fine we will check this game out which probably did nothing wrong, if it gets you people to stop messaging us about it."
But to be fair, the opposite is also happening where people cant just be like "I like this game". People are hoping that this IS THE END of Pokemon etc etc.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Mercury Hat posted:

Another channel I'd never heard of analyzing some of Shirley Jackson's fiction in the context of domestic horror. Wonderful analysis, really got me interested in checking out more of Jackson's stuff.

Also the cat is cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFcOsDQ7gM
How Shirley Jackson exposed the horror of home life : Books 'n' Cats

Just finished reading The Lottery and Other Stories around a week ago so this was timed well! Yeah it's good stuff, highly recommend checking out more of Jackson's work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Even Nintendo's response sounded more like "Fine we will check this game out which probably did nothing wrong, if it gets you people to stop messaging us about it."
But to be fair, the opposite is also happening where people cant just be like "I like this game". People are hoping that this IS THE END of Pokemon etc etc.

If anything was going to happen (I think something might've, because I think the game looks different now that it's actually released. It's either that or everyone keeps picking the same starting area from the videos I've seen of it) it was going to be 1 or 2 years ago when they announced it. Waiting until actual release to bring anything is some insane conspiracy theory thought where you start with your own assumption and just backfill in reasons why it's correct rather than actually engage with any evidence or do any possible research into an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqTJFhbo9zY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9w97KSEAOo

And I don't know the main reason why, but that does seem to be the general attitude to most things. The best way to have a successful franchise is to make it easy to argue about forever. This is why Dragon Ball Z, Star Wars, Fire Emblem, etc are never going to stop being popular.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 9, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

Waiting until actual release to bring anything is some insane conspiracy theory thought where you start with your own assumption and just backfill in reasons why it's correct rather than actually engage with any evidence or do any possible research into an explanation.

I mean there's a fair amount of precedent of IP holders not bothering to go after projects until it's apparent it's actually going to get over the finish line; Bloodborne kart was in development for a couple of years and AM2R was kicking around for like a decade before it got slapped 12 hours after launch, just off the top of my head.

I don't think it's a widespread conspiracy to make people waste as much time as possible, mind you; just that lawyers do this poo poo for money and "when someone high enough up to notice it and tell the lawyers to send a C&D" isn't usually when the project starts up, it's whenever it starts getting enough coverage that they're noticed. The pokemon mod for palworld being a case in point here; the people at the pokemon company are obviously paying a lot of attention to palworld so anyone doing obvious IP violation (for money, great job dude) is going to get twigged to immediately

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The pokemon mod is also something that can be struck on-sight for obvious reasons. If they're going to do anything about Palworld (doubtful), they'd need to take their time to establish a case demonstrating it willfully infringed on their IP.

Their very vague statement is probably legalese for "We will Take A Look, but cannot speak further as anything we say or do would be part of the case if we take legal action".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think if nintendo had any intention of suing they wouldnt have made a statement until they had an actual case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

i think if nintendo had any intention of suing they wouldnt have made a statement until they had an actual case.

I fully agree there probably isn't gonna be legal action, but there is a prior example of Nintendo making a statement way earlier than they otherwise would just to get a fanbase to sit down and shut up for a minute with Metroid Prime 4.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the pokemon mod rules because the dumbass tried to charge money for it and got destroyed by nintendo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

"Palworld" is just the gen-z slang for the friendzone

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

DeafNote posted:

It's because algorithms to drive engagement are the substrate these conversations are built on, it's exactly what you should expect from discussions happening within certain systems. Outside the arena of high resonance I think discussion tends to be sane, like here.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

did they really crush Bloodborne Cart instead of just buying them outright and making it into promotional material / a fun extra on the real game

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

did they really crush Bloodborne Cart instead of just buying them outright and making it into promotional material / a fun extra on the real game

The devs got a c&d but they had a backup plan to scrape ip referencing stuff so it will still come out but with a delay and little to no bloodborne references.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
If there's one thing that I take away from Palworld, it's that for some people, it's not enough to not like a thing. They wouldn't be satisfied until they've seen the thing they hate crushed into powder or otherwise rendered useless.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fanworks are a sign of an engaged fandom, and if they get big/good enough, should be incorporated into the original and the creators hired. PC games learned this with mods in the late 90s, then immediately forgot/rejected it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I fully agree there probably isn't gonna be legal action, but there is a prior example of Nintendo making a statement way earlier than they otherwise would just to get a fanbase to sit down and shut up for a minute with Metroid Prime 4.

Nintendo would probably rather sue a million smaller developers than admit metroid prime 4 is dead

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConfusedPig posted:

The devs got a c&d but they had a backup plan to scrape ip referencing stuff so it will still come out but with a delay and little to no bloodborne references.

It started life as an April Fools and kinda got out of hand as they turned it into a full game, but from the way they phrased it it sounded like they knew this was gonna happen and probably just wanted to ride it as Bloodborne Kart as long as they could get away with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a full set of parallel assets and characters ready to replace the Bloodborne ones and were just waiting for the call to come in.

Spark That Bled posted:

If there's one thing that I take away from Palworld, it's that for some people, it's not enough to not like a thing. They wouldn't be satisfied until they've seen the thing they hate crushed into powder or otherwise rendered useless.

Palworld's got enough coincidental similarities it's not hard to take a casual look at the game and see where comparisons could be drawn with the designs if you've played a recent Pokemon game, so people raising the question that it was done purposefully isn't entirely just, "I HATE GAME :byodood:"

Nuebot posted:

Nintendo would probably rather sue a million smaller developers than admit metroid prime 4 is dead

Nah, development timeframes are such that what gets announced started life YEARS before, and Metroid Prime 4 first got announced to shut people up when Nintendo was initially working on it. Then they decided they couldn't make something good, and passed the job off to Retro to start from scratch in 2019. That's all poo poo that would normally happen behind closed doors and you'd never even know about. Really the first we'd actually hear is when Retro was announcing they're releasing the drat thing Soon(TM). Typical game dev timeframes, plus COVID Time, would actually probably put some kind of release announcement. or at least trailer, from them probably around this year if we're lucky.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Palworld's got enough coincidental similarities it's not hard to take a casual look at the game and see where comparisons could be drawn with the designs if you've played a recent Pokemon game, so people raising the question that it was done purposefully isn't entirely just, "I HATE GAME :byodood:"

I mean those people actually raising that question can be easily answered with "Well yeah, it's a parody. That's part of The Joke."

You might as well be saying "You know people have watched One Punch Man and have seen Kamen rider so people are raising the question if this 'Mumen Rider' was done purposefully"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

palworld isnt the first pokemon knock off and nothing it has done can get it sued

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's good that ARK players finally have pokemon of their own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

its less raising questions and more fantasizing about how the devs will be left homeless and destitute after daddy nintendo destroys them legally

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the nintendo lawyers are not a toy

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fVhbYOSQM

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

palworld isnt the first pokemon knock off and nothing it has done can get it sued

Off the top of my head, there's currently Cassette Beats, TemTem and Ooblets. I don't think any of them got legal troubles from Pokemon.

That's not counting clones from the past, either.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yeah that's why it's not a pokemon knock off. It's an ARK/Rust knockoff that happens to have the aesthetics of a pokemon knockoff.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Arbite posted:

Some people interpreted his extremely pointed 'avoidance' of mentioning Dan Schneider (like, it was so obviously drawing attention to Schneider that it got me to look up who the guy even was in the first video) as sincerely not wanting to have that conversation at all instead of very clearly saving him for the climax of this series.

Others got that that was what he was doing but still objected to that method.

Others just thought it was dumb to spend dozens of hours on thinner and thinner quantities of TV episodes.

Others bemoan him shifting into this format vs his old style.

And others don't mind the length or content of the videos, they wish they were out sooner.

Oh, I thought he was just a weird creep obsessed with a Nickelodeon show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bird. posted:

Big(foot) Vid Just Dropped by Trey the Explainer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJhJsdoTYQ

Oh this is good stuff, Trey brought receipts. Also this is an aspect of cryptozoology which has always bugged me, people snatching up indigenous peoples' myths and legends and forcing them to fit into their pet narrative and I'm glad that someone put in the research to debunk that poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean there's a fair amount of precedent of IP holders not bothering to go after projects until it's apparent it's actually going to get over the finish line; Bloodborne kart was in development for a couple of years and AM2R was kicking around for like a decade before it got slapped 12 hours after launch, just off the top of my head.

I don't think it's a widespread conspiracy to make people waste as much time as possible, mind you; just that lawyers do this poo poo for money and "when someone high enough up to notice it and tell the lawyers to send a C&D" isn't usually when the project starts up, it's whenever it starts getting enough coverage that they're noticed. The pokemon mod for palworld being a case in point here; the people at the pokemon company are obviously paying a lot of attention to palworld so anyone doing obvious IP violation (for money, great job dude) is going to get twigged to immediately

Well that shows what I know. I thought the whole idea of AM2R was that they were quietly working on it and then like, 'Hey the game's finally released, play it now!' and the downloads spread everywhere and it was basically impossible to keep up with that game of whack-a-mole to get all the downloads removed.

I appreciate all the videos about Palworld being very dumbed down like 'Nintendo doesn't own any shapes, making a stylized lightning bolt on a creature isn't enough to give them freedom to sue everyone attempting to do a monster collection game' because that's about the level I'm operating on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh this is good stuff, Trey brought receipts. Also this is an aspect of cryptozoology which has always bugged me, people snatching up indigenous peoples' myths and legends and forcing them to fit into their pet narrative and I'm glad that someone put in the research to debunk that poo poo.

Like with aliens, ghosts, and everything else paranormal, when you start looking under the surface you just find a lotta racism and racists

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ooh, new Zan Von Zed video. Recommended if you enjoy watching people craft beautiful items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTgUd52H2DY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Oh, I thought he was just a weird creep obsessed with a Nickelodeon show.

You're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

looking forward to the 5 minute dan scheinder episode to go with the 10 hour icarly episode