Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Devin Hester getting in the HOF over Torry Holt is bullshit. Torry's waited five tears (after retirement), while Hester waited just three.

Holt retired 8th all-time on the receiving yards list, had eight straight 1,000 yards seasons (Andre Johnson had seven total 1,000 yard seasons), and six straight years of 1,300 yards or more (tied with Julio Jones).

What the hell is going on here?

i barely remember torry holt and remember devin hester very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nothing against Torry Holt but Devin Hester was really something special to watch on kick returns.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
They both belong in, think Holt had the misfortune of being overshadowed by like five other HoFers on that offense

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hot take for this thread, but Marshawn Lynch should be a first ballot HOFer.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

you know what? i think this guy is right

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

This take is hot, but it doesn't make it any less correct

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Look, when you're right, you're right.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked at his stats and accomplishments and you guys are wrong. Lynch is not a HOFer. Sorry. He's a HOF personality but not player. 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pro led the league in TDs 1 time, and rushing TDs 2 times. And has a famous playoff play.

And that's it. Not really a HOF resume. He did play longer than most RBs, too. His highest career counting stat is TDs where he is 28th all-time.

Seattle hall of fame, yes. Canton? Naw.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
TWO Seahawks legends made the HOF this year. Continuation of excellence. Devin Hester's magical 2 playoff games where he single handledly tried to keep Seattle in the game vs Atlanta in 2016. And Dwight Freeney for his 4 games and 3 sacks midseason in 2017.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dwight Freeney had more sacks in a Seahawks uniform than L.J. Collier

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked at his stats and accomplishments and you guys are wrong. Lynch is not a HOFer. Sorry. He's a HOF personality but not player. 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pro led the league in TDs 1 time, and rushing TDs 2 times. And has a famous playoff play.

And that's it. Not really a HOF resume. He did play longer than most RBs, too. His highest career counting stat is TDs where he is 28th all-time.

Seattle hall of fame, yes. Canton? Naw.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

DancingMachine posted:

Hester made kick returns worth watching for like 2 years and was a totally unique player. He absolutely makes more sense in the HoF than yet another WR who was like a top 5 or 10 in the league WR for a good long period.

Holt's career is objectively much more valuable than Devin Hester's, there's no getting around that. You can argue him in for being the best at his role but that's it, because otherwise you're talking about a guy who scored 20 career touchdowns. And Holt had the misfortune, for ranking purposes, of having a career that overlapped Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison, who are arguably the #2-4 receivers of all-time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's a Hall of Fame, not a Hall of More Valuable

If you want Holt to get in, I don't know why you're mad at Hester and not Andre Johnson for jumping the WR line.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Does anybody actually believe that "Hall of Fame not Hall of Numbers" bullshit as if the Hall itself is not supposed to be conferring the Fame and that's why it's called that?

I'm not "mad" at Hester, I just wish people would be honest about the argument they're making for him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am going to be mad at anyone it will be the NFL for having an arbitrary limit of 5 modern players per year, which is a loving stupid limit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If I am going to be mad at anyone it will be the NFL for having an arbitrary limit of 5 modern players per year, which is a loving stupid limit.

This is true and what's funny is that baseball is running into a logjam even though they have twice the limit because old sportswriters are loving insane people

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Criminal Minded posted:

This is true and what's funny is that baseball is running into a logjam even though they have twice the limit because old sportswriters are loving insane people

Barry Bonds not being in the HOF should revoke everyones ballot imo.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Mustached Demon posted:

:hmmyes:

Also I'm glad Willis got into the hall. He was super good the moment he got into the pros all the way until his career ended.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

:agreed:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mustached Demon posted:

Even if we do not respect him as a person, he deserves to be in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustached Demon posted:

Agreed. Barry Bonds should be in the NFL HOF.

Heywaittaminnut--

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Heywaittaminnut--

Might as well. He was that good.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mustached Demon posted:

The three best players of my life are clearly Bonds, A-Rod and Clemens

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Heywaittaminnut--

Nothing in the NFL rule book that says you can’t hit the football with a stick.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
David Ortiz was the 58th person to ever be a 1st ballot HoFer and he actually pissed hot, amazing how lovely the baseball HoF is

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Imagining Bond’s football career equivalence and I’m picturing defenses playing Hail Mary coverage every down because if you don’t he throws a td, so he just walks for a first down repeatedly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the NFL equivalent of drawing walks? A valuable skill that the NFL media largely ignores?

I'd go with thrown at% for DBs. Its a defensive stat, I know.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Papercut posted:

David Ortiz was the 58th person to ever be a 1st ballot HoFer and he actually pissed hot, amazing how lovely the baseball HoF is

His shooting was a deep state operation to garner sympathy for his HoF candidacy :tinfoil:

Also, I think it's bullshit Mariano was a unanimous vote whereas Griffey wasn't on 3 ballots.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

seiferguy posted:

What's the NFL equivalent of drawing walks? A valuable skill that the NFL media largely ignores?

Double coverage rate?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

seiferguy posted:

Probably like pass block success rate

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

seiferguy posted:

It's what Mahomes does every time he gets hit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Number of plays in which the defense went to a Prevent D. Basically just give the opposing offense a freebie first down, to try to protect from an immediate quick TD.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

seiferguy posted:

1st down runs for 5-9 yards. :run:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bonds, clemens, and anyone else who's taken roids should never be in the hof.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
This gave me a genuine laugh.

https://slate.com/culture/2024/02/super-bowl-san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-haters.html

quote:

He dresses like a midlevel manager at a fintech firm and carries himself with the disposition of the second- or third-most-helpful person on a four-person group project...The NFL has so many incredible quarterbacks now that we’ve gotten hooked on watching them operate on a near-godly plane. When a quarterback simply goes about his business and doesn’t wow audiences like Mahomes or Jackson or Allen, it is easy for his success to feel cheap...Which is why Purdy must be stopped. If he wins on Sunday, 49ers fans will be inoculated forever against the petty barbs of jealous outsiders who don’t believe that Purdy is worthy of bringing happiness to a fan base. No group of NFL fans other than your own deserves to taste victory, and can you imagine how much it will sting if Brock Purdy is the one to deliver it to the Bay Area?

Mostly just an amusing read without any judgement other than about the discourse.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Sherman is the best lmao

lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

bonds, clemens, and anyone else who's taken roids should never be in the hof.

Yeah just abolish the hall, agreed

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bonds, sosa, mcgwire juicing was huge and constant in the news for years, and the baseball hall is decided by those same journalists, so it's like synonymous with their names in a way that countless other undoubtedly-jucing players are not

their mistake was being caught or at least being suspicious enough to have allegations hanging over them, and that is costing them
same thing as for pete rose, he wasn't the only player gambling but he was the big name player who got caught

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

bonds, sosa, mcgwire juicing was huge and constant in the news for years, and the baseball hall is decided by those same journalists, so it's like synonymous with their names in a way that countless other undoubtedly-jucing players are not

their mistake was being caught or at least being suspicious enough to have allegations hanging over them, and that is costing them
same thing as for pete rose, he wasn't the only player gambling but he was the big name player who got caught

Pete Rose being banned in today's sports world is stupid as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
McGwire and Sosa was the most exciting baseball has and had been for decades, who gives a gently caress, put em in