Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Watched the first episode of Sasaki and Peeps. It’s really good. If you’re into fantasy-type stuff I’d recommend checking it out and it’s even better if you go into it blind. Worth noting that the first episode is double-length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Watched the first episode of Sasaki and Peeps. It’s really good. If you’re into fantasy-type stuff I’d recommend checking it out and it’s even better if you go into it blind. Worth noting that the first episode is double-length

if you didn't realize this show was pedo bait after that high school girl in the first episode, the female lead reveals she's 16 in episode 2

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Don't worry there's an even younger girl in episode 3

It's also been pretty much instantly downhill from episode one, it seems like a show that's 80% premise and cute bird.

Captian Kil
Nov 2, 2011

Watched the first 4 or so episodes and they have a total of 5-6 young girls all interested in the main character in one way or another. It is garbage. You have a guy maneuvering an other world fantasy conflict and a underground psychic war. Why is that not interesting enough? Why add this creep poo poo into it?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Japan is leading the world in elaborate excuses to be a pedophile.

The Japanese need another world where the rules are literally medieval to be a pedophile. Americans went to Little St. James.

e: the new episode of Dungeon Meshi is good enough I'm thinking of rewatching it. This is about the time the manga started hitting its stride too.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 12:51 on Feb 9, 2024

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

if you didn't realize this show was pedo bait after that high school girl in the first episode, the female lead reveals she's 16 in episode 2

Hm, yeah, that does suck. The premise is great so it’s a real letdown if that’s the trend the rest of the show takes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Apparently the 'reincarnated as a sword' anime cuts a fair chunk of the creepy underage fan service poo poo out so I'm tempted to watch it, can anyone c/d that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Apparently the 'reincarnated as a sword' anime cuts a fair chunk of the creepy underage fan service poo poo out so I'm tempted to watch it, can anyone c/d that

If you try watching it now knowing that there's fanservice in the manga, you're not gonna be able to think about anything else. Just don't. It's not that good. The best part is at the beginning when they kill the slavers and it's kind of interesting for a mid Isekai dungeon romp but it's just not that good. The anime does play everything platonically, but at the end of the day it's still a show that fixates on a 13 year old girl. It doesn't cross the line but you know it's there.

I watched it hoping it was going to be more of an anti-slavery story, and it immediately becomes dungeon guild adventure isekai after the first episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

been watching bocchi the rock, she melted into radioactive ash that killed her two best friends then got onstage and did a sick guitar solo. 11/10 anime

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

dont forget bocchi

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The only part of Sasaki & Peeps's first episode I liked was the downtrodden salaryman protagonist, and I already get those vitamins from reading Smoking Behind the Supermarket With You so I peaced out. Glad I did I guess, but go read Smoking. It's a cute will they won't they romcom. Also, the love interest isn't a teenager!

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Kitfox88 posted:

There are much better things to watch but there's also much worse. Which means I watched all of it but I'm pretty open about having trash taste anyway.

Can confirm that as far as I recall there wasn't any creepy fanservice of the underage protagonist which already puts it above like 90% of isekai, sadly enough. They need to make one where a true enlightenment era American scientist, writer and patriot gets sent to another world after a misshap during a kite and lightning storm experiment and proceeds to abolish the monarchy and bang all the ara ara milfs in sight.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm enjoying the dungeon food show

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Buck Wildman posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

BREAD

BREAD

BREAD

BREAD

Kit Walker posted:

Hm, yeah, that does suck. The premise is great so it’s a real letdown if that’s the trend the rest of the show takes

why are you talking about this like it's hypothetical lol

Kitfox88 posted:

January 6 Survivor posted:

There are much better things to watch but there's also much worse. Which means I watched all of it but I'm pretty open about having trash taste anyway.

Can confirm that as far as I recall there wasn't any creepy fanservice of the underage protagonist which already puts it above like 90% of isekai, sadly enough. They need to make one where a true enlightenment era American scientist, writer and patriot gets sent to another world after a misshap during a kite and lightning storm experiment and proceeds to abolish the monarchy and bang all the ara ara milfs in sight.

uh huh

you know, you really dont need to watch this or post that, there's lots of "wow cool robot" anime to watch

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Feb 9, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Buck Wildman posted:

its winsauce

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

if you want to watch a currently airing anime with lots of terrible over-sexualizing fan-service there's even a good option for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRO9Hk5ACs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you want to watch an anime that's anti-slavery it's pretty much just One Piece and Vinland Saga.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Oh hey thanks for the reminder to try Vinland saga

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a reason why more and more people have been calling it "Winland Saga"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vinland Saga is so loving good. The manga was already one of the GOATs and the anime elevates it. It's great that the second season has struck a chord with a lot of new fans, even if I have to see people on my twitter timeline drawing fanart of their OCs marrying Thorfinn.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
apothecary diaries has some interesting text about slavery. it's a different social context and slavery-institution but the main character is legally owned, and actively reflecting on how a legally owned woman keeps herself safe, for as much as i've seen of the program so far.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

why are you talking about this like it's hypothetical lol

Because I hadn’t watched beyond the first episode at the time. And now that I have I feel like it’s a mischaracterization of the show. Like, yeah, there are underage characters in the show (the neighbor, the coworker, the viscount’s daughter), but none of them are sexualized at all and there is exactly zero romantic subplot going on with any of them. The only characters that show him (mild) affection are the neighbor (because he chats with her sometimes and gives her food) and the coworker (because he looks out for her on the job) and the protagonist intentionally keeps them at a distance because he thinks it would be creepy if they were any closer to him

Maybe I’m missing something but nothing in the show seems to cross the line of platonic. I dunno if the manga goes into gross pervert territory at some point but the show seems fine so far

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

January 6 Survivor posted:

My standards are low and I enjoy trash so it's right up my alley yeah.

Anyway John Brown is isekai please

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Because I hadn’t watched beyond the first episode at the time. And now that I have I feel like it’s a mischaracterization of the show. Like, yeah, there are underage characters in the show (the neighbor, the coworker, the viscount’s daughter), but none of them are sexualized at all and there is exactly zero romantic subplot going on with any of them. The only characters that show him (mild) affection are the neighbor (because he chats with her sometimes and gives her food) and the coworker (because he looks out for her on the job) and the protagonist intentionally keeps them at a distance because he thinks it would be creepy if they were any closer to him

Maybe I’m missing something but nothing in the show seems to cross the line of platonic. I dunno if the manga goes into gross pervert territory at some point but the show seems fine so far

yup nothing to be suspicious about here all seems very platonic and above board and not telegraphing anything whatsoever

oh what the female lead revealed she's also a 16 year old high school student and asked the 40 year old protagonist out to dinner in the next episode?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Its unheard of for Goons to completely mischaracterize something especially if it means jumping on a bandwagon. Goons have never done this and you can take their media opinions as being gospel truth

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

yup nothing to be suspicious about here all seems very platonic and above board and not telegraphing anything whatsoever

oh what the female lead revealed she's also a 16 year old high school student and asked the 40 year old protagonist out to dinner in the next episode?

The scene in the screenshots is shot to make her look like a psycho and the protagonist is weirded out. He’s also weirded out when he finds out his coworker is 16. Them going to dinner isn’t depicted as a romantic thing but again him being invited out for food with a coworker as thanks for helping her out in a spot of trouble. Literally the next time he talks to his boss he asks if he can be assigned to work with someone else. I can see how you can read it the way you are but it’s really a stretch

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

The scene in the screenshots is shot to make her look like a psycho and the protagonist is weirded out. He’s also weirded out when he finds out his coworker is 16. Them going to dinner isn’t depicted as a romantic thing but again him being invited out for food with a coworker as thanks for helping her out in a spot of trouble. Literally the next time he talks to his boss he asks if he can be assigned to work with someone else. I can see how you can read it the way you are but it’s really a stretch

whats the number of underaged girls that would need to be interested in middle aged protagonist-kun before you'd start getting suspicious about authorial intent

Captian Kil posted:

Watched the first 4 or so episodes and they have a total of 5-6 young girls all interested in the main character in one way or another. It is garbage. You have a guy maneuvering an other world fantasy conflict and a underground psychic war. Why is that not interesting enough? Why add this creep poo poo into it?

is 6 too many or

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
there are programs which are so important or good that navigating problematic content is worth it. but why do so for seasonal isekai slop

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its very simple to find out authorial intent by google (series name) figurine. The market reveals all!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

its very simple to find out authorial intent by google (series name) figurine. The market reveals all!

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they better put the winged lion in monster hunter, i will kill him easily

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

yeah sports anime is some serious fun because they're so drat intense about it that's a good idea

I find that sports (or other competitive activities) manga/anime is generally pretty accurate to the experience of "doing a competitive activity in high school." When I did cello/symphony, it was commonly known who "the top people" were and where everyone stood in comparison to everyone else. You would see gradual improvements in both yourself and others. You would go to training camps and do performances (in sports this would just be matches) and stuff. I imagine it's even more true for sports, where you directly compete against people, instead of just seeing them perform and realizing they're better or worse than you.

Real life as an adult isn't nearly as fun or interesting :( It would own if you could just spend your entire life doing stuff like that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

whats the number of underaged girls that would need to be interested in middle aged protagonist-kun before you'd start getting suspicious about authorial intent

is 6 too many or

The extent of his involvement with the viscount’s daughter is that she tries and enjoys some curry at a restaurant he owns, and also is grateful he helped her dad out

Then there’s the magical girl who kills psychics and spares him because he claims he’s a magical man and she wants to know what’s up with that

There’s also the other psychic lady who isn’t underage and wants to work with him because she knows more of his secrets and thinks it would be fun

Like, this show is on the level of Little Witch Academia in terms of sexualizing any of these characters (which is to say, not at all). I dunno what to say, bud. None of the characters seem romantically interested in him. Even his neighbor being weirdly jealous of his coworker is implied to be an unhealthy attachment because of her own lovely home life

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

The extent of his involvement with the viscount’s daughter is that she tries and enjoys some curry at a restaurant he owns, and also is grateful he helped her dad out

Then there’s the magical girl who kills psychics and spares him because he claims he’s a magical man and she wants to know what’s up with that

There’s also the other psychic lady who isn’t underage and wants to work with him because she knows more of his secrets and thinks it would be fun

Like, this show is on the level of Little Witch Academia in terms of sexualizing any of these characters (which is to say, not at all). I dunno what to say, bud. None of the characters seem romantically interested in him. Even his neighbor being weirdly jealous of his coworker is implied to be an unhealthy attachment because of her own lovely home life

its purely coincidental that 80% of the characters are high school aged girls who want to hang out with the 40 year old protag!!! its not sexualized!!!!!

Ohtori Akio posted:

there are programs which are so important or good that navigating problematic content is worth it. but why do so for seasonal isekai slop

in think in this case its literally "cute birb"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

To be fair the one he works with is also a teenager that can't drink yet

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
birds are cute thats true

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

its purely coincidental that 80% of the characters are high school aged girls who want to hang out with the 40 year old protag!!! its not sexualized!!!!!

Do you think the barista smiles at you because she likes you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Snack Basue has only adults and jokes plus karaoke