Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

It's way more badass to blind-throw a bomb and nail some sneaky little poo poo than drink a potion and walk around, Larian got this one right.

True in theory but when there's one little punk left in the wide-open area of the bank vault and there are about twenty npc allies who all get their own turns it makes me beg for death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That fight has been bugged for me the last couple times where the stealthed dudes will not enter combat, so you're cleaning picking locks and now you have to wait 2 more turns to kill 1 guy because he starts out with Sanctuary on his turn.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
speaking of Ethel, when I fought her a second time, my Level 11 Monk simply had her on stunlock, while my other three dudes calmly took care of the mushrooms. she didnt even get a single attack, spell or maneuver in. it was both epic and the easiest fight in entire the game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Can only a Tav/Durge become an oathbreaker paladin? What happens if Minthara or another respec'd character acts against an oath. It's that even possible?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can only a Tav/Durge become an oathbreaker paladin? What happens if Minthara or another respec'd character acts against an oath. It's that even possible?

everyone can break their oath, vengeance just has the easiest time

Oathbreaker Knight: "You cannot declare everything a vengeance!"
Me: "I will spare this criminal so he can help me get vengeance on The Absolute!"
OK, in tears: "OK."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So I've just wrapped up my little Ray of Frost Sorc run and I figured that I'd do a more extensive writeup since it doesn't seem to be as well-known or talked about as Tempy Cleric or MM Wiz. But it's an incredibly powerful and rather fun build if you enjoy doing mega-critz and watching bad guys take 100+ damage from a 1d8 cantrip!! It also transitions quite easily into a standard Cold-based Sorc without too much imagination if you'd just rather focus on AOE and control rather than single target damage.

https://i.imgur.com/EKDO8rj.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/rYEG0Uy.mp4

Draconic Bloodline Sorc (White) - Armor of Agathys
Standard 17-16-14 CHA/CON/DEX setup assuming you're gonna get the +1 CHA powerup from Auntie
I made a Zariel Tiefling for funsies but any race will work here, probably Githyanki if you're powergaming.
You'll need to save the Tieflings for some rather important gear later on so you'll have to be a mostly nice character (or use mods)

The basic strategy is similar to the Tempest Cleric: We're going to create water surfaces using our Quickened Spell bonus action, then unleash twinned Rays of Frost (or any other AOE Cold spell) for BIG DAMAGE and icy surfaces that constantly knock enemies prone. The build truly "comes online" about midway through Act 2, although there is a steady power progression that makes it easy to start right at Level 1.

Act 1

Rain Dancer - You're going to buy this as soon as you reach the Emerald Grove and use it until Act 3. It's what will help us create water surfaces until we can put 1 point into Cleric much later on.
Ring of Protection - This build lacks compelling second ring choices so you might as well steal the idol for Mol.
Mourning Frost - Assembled from the three drow wizards in the Underdark. Take dual wielding as your first Feat so that you can equip this right at Level 4. Adds 1 min damage to all Cold spells and lets Ray of Frost inflict Cold vulnerability even without a water surface.
Winter's Clutches - Buy these from Lady Esther in Mountain Pass, or Sovereign Glut if you were evil.
Necklace of Elemental Augmentation - Found in the Githyanki Creche. Adds your proficiency bonus to Ray of Frost. At max level we're going to get FOUR of these, for a whopping +28 base damage to Ray of Frost with 24 CHA!

Alternates:
The Spellsparkler - Cheap pickup early on before you get the Mourning Frost / Rain Dancer combo.
Nere's Boots and Hoarfrost Boots - Probably not what you'll be wearing, but essential for your melee characters to keep them from slipping on your own ice surfaces. Found in Grymforge and Creche Y'llek, respectively.
The Protecty Sparkswall - Found in Grymforge, robe alternate until you get to Act 2.
Pearl of Power Amulet - Not what you'll be wearing but super useful to have early on to gain more Sorcery points. Buy from Omeluum.

You're going to need Twinned Spell and Quickened Spell metamagic on your Sorcerer. The rest can be whatever, I took Careful and Distant. At level 6 you'll get a bonus proficiency modifier added to all your Cold spells.
I entered the zaith'isk myself to get those sweet illithid powers as bonus actions although realistically you'll be casting Quickened Spell most of the time.
You can take ASI as your first Feat or (as I recommend) Dual Wield with Rain Dancer if you plan on nabbing +1 CHA from auntie.
Enhance Ability is a good spell to take early on if this is going to be your face character.

Act 2

Snowburst Ring - Now we're talking. Hightail it to Last Light Inn and scrape these off the floorboards. This makes ANY Cold spell create an icy surface, so now not only does your Ray of Frost leave bad guys vulnerable, they have a chance to go prone before their turn even comes up! Insanely OP ring.
Cloak of Protection - A caster doesn't have too many interesting cape choices until Act 3 so you might as well put this one on.
Coldbrim Hat - Found in Balthazar's room at Moonrise Towers. Adds more turns of Encrusted with Frost, which will stack nicely with Charm, Reverberation, and all the other debilitating effects you're piling on. Documented proof that pointy hats = superior gameplay.
Potent Robe - Gotta save the Tieflings, so no Dark Urge for you! Mega proficiency modifiers really start to make Ray of Frost hit hard. Make sure you have a nice dye available, I recommend Black & Azure from Araj.

ASI will be your second Feat and take you up to +5 CHA proficiency bonus. Between Draconic Bloodline, the robes, and our necklace we already have +15 base damage to Ray of Frost, doubled by water surfaces, which will increase to 3d8 at Level 10!
You'll want to learn Ice Barrage and Cone of Cold, of course. Twinned Haste is always nice to have as well, but practically speaking, you won't be using it too much with this build.
Spellcrux Amulet can be found in Moonrise prisons and will help greatly with those spellslot-hungry Sorcerors gobbling up all your metamagic points.

Act 3

Spellstrike Gloves - You can steal these from Lucretious right at the start of the Act, or if you're patient, wait almost until you're about to kill Orin.
Bonespike Boots - Found in the cave near the Guild/Stone Lord dustup in Rivington.
Markoheshkir - Try to get to Sorcerous Sundries right away for all the bombass caster gear there. This is where you're going to get your 4th and final bonus proficiency bonus to Ray of Frost.
Birthright - Pointy hats! More Charisma! We should now be at 22 CHA.
Cloak of the Weave - Sold by the dwarven baddie Helsik at the Devil's Fee. No other real choice for a caster here so definitely pick these up.
Gemini Gloves - Another potentially good choice for gloves if you'd rather focus on the force multiplier of having one additional Ray of Frost. There is a problem though... when combining them with Twinned metamagic, you can't actually cast Ray of Frost on the same target, which blunts their impact somewhat. Spellstrike is a little more well-rounded but if you're going all-in with cantrips, these can be fun to use.

Level 11 is when you're going to put 1 point in Cleric for Create Water and switch out Rain Dancer for Markoheshkir / Mourning Frost. I took Knowledge Domain for the Arcana Bonus, which made it a little easier to pass the DC25 checks for the Mirror of Loss and House of Hope, but you can do whatever here.
Do House of Grief right at Level 12 to get up to +24 CHA. Remember to save Headband of Intellect and Mage's Friend from Act 1 to pass the DC25 Arcana Check.
Staff of Spellpower, Woe, even Rhapsody can be good alternates to Mourning Frost if you need the Spell Save DC, although at that point in the game with 24 CHA I didn't find myself needing it.

All right well, that's about all the advice you need! Good luck and have a CHILL time. :cheers:

https://i.imgur.com/nq1HAuw.mp4

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 9, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

everyone can break their oath, vengeance just has the easiest time

Oathbreaker Knight: "You cannot declare everything a vengeance!"
Me: "I will spare this criminal so he can help me get vengeance on The Absolute!"
OK, in tears: "OK."

I wouldnt mind if Oaths got a rework at some point, but for as silly as they get, even as is, it's still leaps and bounds better than "Oops, by sparing the hungry thief, you shifted far too many points from Lawful Good into Neutral Good on the graph, you have now become a Fallen Paladin! You lose all your powers ever.. Enjoy! 😁"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wizard2 posted:

I wouldnt mind if Oaths got a rework at some point, but for as silly as they get, even as is, it's still leaps and bounds better than "Oops, by sparing the hungry thief, you shifted far too many points from Lawful Good into Neutral Good on the graph, you have now become a Fallen Paladin! You lose all your powers ever.. Enjoy! 😁"

absolutely

btw making Minthara into an Oathbreaker really fits imo

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Baldur's Gate 1 taught me Fallen Rangers existed at one point

still unsure how that works

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wish there was some indication if a key or item was not longer needed heh. I'm a hoarder in this game and have so many orange bordered items

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

wizard2 posted:

littering

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Medullah posted:

I wish there was some indication if a key or item was not longer needed heh. I'm a hoarder in this game and have so many orange bordered items

I throw them all into a container.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I throw them all into a container.

Me too but I have been carrying everything with me "In case I need it".

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

exquisite tea posted:

Build Guide.

:five:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

littering and

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

wizard2 posted:

Ron Swanson in Season 1 of Parks & Rec

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
lol

Found a ring that boosts dex to 18 (edit: derp, probably gloves, not a ring).

Wyll didn't have much stuff on him, and I didn't have much else to offer him, so I equipped it to him for shits and grins.

Forgot that high dex boosts your AC.

Now I'm much less worried about Wyll wandering about in light armor.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 9, 2024

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Medullah posted:

Me too but I have been carrying everything with me "In case I need it".

sure but once it’s in a container it only takes up one inventory space and then you just don’t need to worry about it.

if it’s weight that worries you; by far the biggest culprit there is excess gold so that stays in the camp chest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

sure but once it’s in a container it only takes up one inventory space and then you just don’t need to worry about it.

if it’s weight that worries you; by far the biggest culprit there is excess gold so that stays in the camp chest.

Excess gold weighs a lot but let me tell you about the 37 Goblin Scimitars I'm carrying. :D

It was annoying how there were no vendors close to a quick travel point until I got to the Myconoid Colony, thankfully now it's easy to get to them to unload when I've hoarded too much.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

BG3’s inventory management reminds me why I never allow shopping sessions when I’m DMing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's why you just get really good at stealing so that you don't need to pick anything up by the time you reach the Underdark in Act 1 (I still pick everything up).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

It’s crazy how good Larian is at so many things and yet they cant figure out inventory management. I just want to know what cloaks my tav is holding, please…:nyoron:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Shovel can stand on vents. Oh my god how am I discovering new stuff even 7 playthroughs in

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I’d honestly be ok if we could just search the camp inventory. As it is if I send something special to camp it may as well be gone forever.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I still don't get why I can narrow down my and vendor's inventory by type, but I can only do a basic sort on chests.

Like... I have a billion things in my camp chest. I don't want to scroll through that narrow-rear end window past all the camp supplies (which somehow don't get automatically put in the camp supply bag in camp chest) to find the equipment.

Also it'd be nice to be able to be more fine-grained... equipment is great, but I would like to maybe exclude all the torches and salami when I'm trying to find a ring...

The inventory management is great for an individual character, but it breaks down horribly with the camp chest.

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a 23kg alchemy bag on my Gale PC that's taking up a good chunk of my weight capacity.

That and I'm sure the dozens of scrolls and potions are starting to add up...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If your main character is an 8 STR weakling you can consistently send gold back to your camp, it will magically come out of your inventory whenever you need it. Camp supplies too, those bowls of poutine and soup all weigh like 4kg for some reason.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My least favorite part is trying to find dyes using the console UI, and then trying to find the equipment to use it on. Absolute nightmare

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I tend to pick up a few different types of containers. Maybe a chest, backpack, and pouch. Then I sort the camp inventory by good gear, stuff to sell, and quest/misc stuff like the adamantine moulds with each of the categories going into a different container type. My pouch for example is all of the items I intend to sell to a vendor.

If you select all of the items in your camp chest at once, you can drag drop to the various special containers (alchemy, camp supplies, keys) and the relevant items will be placed in the bag even if you selected items that don't match the category. Then, just practice inventory management maybe once every other long rest or so. I wish we could search the camp chest though.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Inventory Management on Steam Deck is... intense. but its alieviated a bit with the Hireling system?

I chose Maddala Deadeye for Human Versitality. Changed her to Bard, prettied her up, changed her name to Inv.

I gave her The Mighty Cloth and the Harmonium Halberd. Her Strength is 22, her Charisma is 18. Her Carry Weight is 1040lbs.

You can max rep with Dammon and/or Roah Moonglow for cheap if you do it low level enough.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

I tend to pick up a few different types of containers. Maybe a chest, backpack, and pouch. Then I sort the camp inventory by good gear, stuff to sell, and quest/misc stuff like the adamantine moulds with each of the categories going into a different container type. My pouch for example is all of the items I intend to sell to a vendor.

If you select all of the items in your camp chest at once, you can drag drop to the various special containers (alchemy, camp supplies, keys) and the relevant items will be placed in the bag even if you selected items that don't match the category. Then, just practice inventory management maybe once every other long rest or so. I wish we could search the camp chest though.

It would be awesome if they would add that special sort functionality for other things too, get a potions bag, a spell bag, etc. I've heard there's one single container that automatically grabs books later in the game, it seems crazy that they have the functionality and don't expand on it.

But then I'm my own worst enemy with inventory because yep I loot fuckin everything.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Sadly my hireling slots are usually reserved for my camp casters and alchemy mule. This vessel is at thy service and thy service is to cast aid.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

buffalo all day posted:

It’s crazy how good Larian is at so many things and yet they cant figure out inventory management. I just want to know what cloaks my tav is holding, please…:nyoron:

Click on your cloak slot and it will show every cloak in your party including the ones that are equipped by everyone.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Saul Kain posted:

Man I wish I'd known this instead of giving up when stuff I sent to the camp chest didn't get autosorted into the special containers I'd put in it.

to be fair it should still do that, it'd make poo poo so much easier

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

That fight has been bugged for me the last couple times where the stealthed dudes will not enter combat, so you're cleaning picking locks and now you have to wait 2 more turns to kill 1 guy because he starts out with Sanctuary on his turn.

So the last time I did this fight, it wrapped up like normal and I went on my way. Did the thing and got Matt Mercer, then brought the gold back for the guy. In the middle of the conversation I hear the initiative dice rolling and the last guy finally decides to come out of hiding and attack a guard lol

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

FutonForensic posted:

I am poo poo at Honor Mode, but liberal use of Invisibility and Sanctuary have gotten me through some rough spots.

Also, never use this cable car with everyone on it at once:

I was having that problem with the moving platforms in the temple yesterday! My main character would stick in place but everyone else just kept sliding off each time I used one

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1755980870664466761

Big Patch next week!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I've never had this issue because my pathfinder brain always has me cast See Invisibility so between me and someone with the Volo Eye they will be found. See Invisibility also gives you a roll for enemies that are ambushing so if you see a roll but no reveal you know you should probably shoot in the vicinity.

Act 3 Foundry Isn't Bernards head supposed to be in here somewhere?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope this means party members will now wander around camp like in the epilogue instead of standing at their tent the whole time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I hope this means party members will now wander around camp like in the epilogue instead of standing at their tent the whole time.

I figured the epilogue was a test run for that, so good on them for following through. Hoping it dosen't introduce even more bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

DaveSauce posted:

lol

Found a ring that boosts dex to 18.

Wyll didn't have much stuff on him, and I didn't have much else to offer him, so I equipped it to him for shits and grins.

Forgot that high dex boosts your AC.

Now I'm much less worried about Wyll wandering about in light armor.

Wait what ring is this? I only know of the gloves

exquisite tea posted:

If your main character is an 8 STR weakling you can consistently send gold back to your camp, it will magically come out of your inventory whenever you need it. Camp supplies too, those bowls of poutine and soup all weigh like 4kg for some reason.

That is how much poutine should weigh