Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OneMoreTime posted:

What even is the government structure in Hellworld? Is there an America? Who passed the law to maim all the geese? Why didn't this cause the geese to go into armed revolt? So many questions

It's all America. There are levels of government from mayor through governor, senator, congressman, and president.

It's not that someone passed a law to main geese. Instead, no one passed a law to make maiming geese illegal.

The geese can't go into armed revolt against their attackers - weapons are not allowed by this world's Geneva convention. Only "natural" defenses. So geese are A) only allowed defense (because they are not predator species) and B) Must only have access to "Animal Has Trait" defenses*. In this case, flying/running away. What's that you say? The geese can't fly away because some predator clipped their wings. Too bad. Guess they shouldn't have agreed to live in hell world.

*Exceptions excluded for weird mutant hybrids, transition allegory characters, or main character adjacent characters who have made unnatural adaptations by adopting other species traits by choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hwurmp posted:

never tell me if Holbrook has a Hitler

The mass slaughter in Holbrook's WWII was very whimsical. Lots of quipping, a bunch of sight gags, SS officers holding in the second half of their execution orders so they could deliver a real hum-dinger of a pun and/or punchline in the third panel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Probably obvious prediction: He's going to either make the enemy troops really old or really young.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Rex just stands there stunned repeating "Your nephew...Rene Belluso? He's your nephew? Rene Belluso is your nephew? RENE BELLUSO?"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

I've always taken issue with this comedic device. I'm not morning person myself, but "person is incapable of functioning after getting out of bed" has always been too broad and goofy for me...without the compounding factor of "This person has a severe hangover."

This is literally my wife until maybe 30 minutes after she is up and moving around and she doesn’t drink.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

getting closer.....

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I have to get my clothes out and pack my bag for work/gym before I go to bed. Breakfast on office mornings is a protein bar instead of my usual shake. I'm literally incapable of operating at that level when I first wake up. If I try, I will show up in mismatched clothes, be missing something I needed for the day, and will ruin my blender by spending 15 minutes trying to blend fruit without any liquid. I've probably caused several traffic incidents on the way to work, but there's no way for me to know. My stream of consciousness doesn't begin until about 10am

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah that's where I get off the morning person joke train too. I'm a quick riser so it's not personal experience but all the big babies about it I do know never hit the point where they're still blind and dead to the world but also have prepped a full breakfast including three beverages.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Need to contribute to the party of people saying Mexikid Stories is great and this one in particular is amazing.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 11, 1910)

Eddie Foy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usbv7fu0E3s

Baron Bean(February 10, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 9, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 1/2, 1919)

Us Boys(December 25, 1911)

The Gumps(March 8, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 4, 1913)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Well that was simple.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Yeah, ok, sure. Good tips. Babies zooming at light speed towards edges/electrical outlets/furious cats the second you look away are a thing.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

There’s no denying that the Extreme Freaks are extreme, but they seem a decent enough bunch. Sadly they do not appear on any of the remaining pages. You’ll just have to get to work on your “head canon”.

Four pages next week as Extreme Freaks wraps up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/27/52

Archie 7/4-6/49

Mercurochrome, like iodine, was used as an antiseptic for minor cuts, and it stains your skin red. The FDA pulled it off the market in the 90s because of concerns about its mercury content.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/17-19/77

You mean, he might be ... a CPA no more?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Literally 100% identical to our world in every way down to historical figures and events, except everyone is an animal.

Yes there's an America, and your history books apply 100% to the hellworld's American history to the day.

Honestly, I think this is the thing that bothers me most about K&K.

Well, when it's not there being two sizes of insects, but only the big ones get rights.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I can't believe Gary's loving dead.

I mean, I think I'm glad about it? I'm just astonished if this actually sticks because easy recurring gags so seldom get publically removed from a strip like this - let alone via ritual combat to the on-camera death. There's still time for a stinger on Friday I guess, but I'm sort of hoping this doesn't get backtracked.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

yeah, Omori was alright

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drakyn posted:

I mean, I think I'm glad about it? I'm just astonished if this actually sticks because easy recurring gags so seldom get publically removed from a strip like this - let alone via ritual combat to the on-camera death. There's still time for a stinger on Friday I guess, but I'm sort of hoping this doesn't get backtracked.

He's an imaginary friend. I don't think that they can die, until you do.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Drakyn posted:

The moment Spud desires a sandwich, Gary returns.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Try to imagine what that would look like. Especially Scarlett darting her hand in to set the roulette ball down in a specific bracket.

Go watch Blackbeard's Ghost with Peter Ustinov, this exact scenario happens.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ha ha, fucken lol almighty, come on! We are surely moments away from some tragedy or big turnabout. Look at this.

Mind you, I have to remind myself that the artist and writer of this one are not the same person, so I shouldn't infer anything about the story just 'cause the artist is taking the piss.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/17-19/77

Martin's twisted, withered hand in the second panel — the poor man is clearly suffering from artistual deadlineitis!

NEXT: PRODUCER, PRODUCE THYSELF!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

That woman is tripping balls

Luann

Gil Thorp

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 9-11, 2005)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/2/43
I am confused by the dialogue in the first panel here. "If the men get their money back they'll quit... but I doubt it." Doubt what? That they'll get their money back? That they'll quit if they do? I doubt they'll quit just as they start winning, too, if that's what she means. But it doesn't seem to be or why would she go ahead with the plan?

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
I guess Marciuliano hasn't been on any dating apps recently either, since he thinks that you click on people. And just generally doesn't seem to know how they work.

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

Ziggy (8/27/1971)
I like both of these. :haw:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 08, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Alley Oop

OK, check this out for a question:

Was Alley Oop named after the basketball move, was the basketball move named after the comic character, or are the two things entirely unrelated?

And here is the historical invention of the Alley Oop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zjIzj0nHM

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mexikids going hard with tales of near human trafficking.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, check this out for a question:

Was Alley Oop named after the basketball move, was the basketball move named after the comic character, or are the two things entirely unrelated?

And here is the historical invention of the Alley Oop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zjIzj0nHM

Wiktionary has the origin being an anglicized version of the French "allez-hop", "the cry of a circus acrobat about to leap. From allez (“go! let's go!”), 2nd-person plural or formal indicative form of aller, and hop, onomatopoeic" with a cited quotation of said usage from 1917 :eng101:.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I'm sorry, I reuse to acknowledge an MBA as an advanced degree.

Mercury Hat posted:

Wiktionary has the origin being an anglicized version of the French "allez-hop", "the cry of a circus acrobat about to leap. From allez (“go! let's go!”), 2nd-person plural or formal indicative form of aller, and hop, onomatopoeic" with a cited quotation of said usage from 1917 :eng101:.

From recent research I'm pretty sure the cry of the French acrobat is just "hup." When stealth is required, this is only thought and not spoken aloud.

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 03, 1961)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

That took a dark turn.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Joey's up for a little sumo.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Ha-ha-oof

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

And to confuse things further:

quote:

The term “Alley Oop” was first popularized in the US in 1932 as the name of a syndicated comic strip created by cartoonist V. T. Hamlin.

In sports, the term "alley-oop" first appeared in the 1950s by the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL to describe a high arcing pass from quarterback Y. A. Tittle to wide receiver R.C. Owens, who would outleap smaller cornerbacks for touchdown receptions. "The Catch", the Dwight Clark touchdown reception from Joe Montana by which the 49ers gained entry into their first Super Bowl, was also an "alley-oop" pass. The term later became better known from its use in basketball.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/8/04

Brenda Starr 8/7-9/52

Gotta watch out for those random hags.

Come on, Dale, you're just recapping the story you told on Sunday.

Smokey Stover 9/6/59

Everyday Movies 3/24/37

"Pete's girl friend must have given him the air -- he hasn't missed a night here in a week."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/4-6/43

Closer Than We Think! 9/6/59

This one feels like an Elon idea too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/6/59

The more things change…
https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/using-plasma-to-reduce-tunnelling-times-and-cost

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Elon's entire oeuvre is repeating things he saw in Popular Science when he was a kid, so yeah.

THORN, November 20-December 2, 1983

And that concludes Fall 1983! If you were reading this as it came out, you'd be left wondering what happens for a whole month before it starts back up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/7/1994)

(1/8/1994)

Ziggy

(8/28/1971)