Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

pro starcraft loser posted:

The DNC sticking with Biden for the election this year is still insane to me. This election is going to be closer than it has any right to be with idiot Trump on the ballot.

When the midterms went how they did, there was no way anyone was going to back a challenge to Biden. If it was 2010 all over again, or if they lost the Senate, I think it would’ve been open season.

FuturePastNow posted:

If the American people as a whole had any problem voting for geriatrics, there sure isn't any evidence of it because our government is almost entirely run by the elderly

It’s also this. We’re living with the largest population of geriatrics in human history, both by raw numbers and by percentages, and our elected politicians reflect that (exacerbated by the fact that they vote in higher percentages, too). And one thing you can’t tell geriatrics is that they’re “too old” for anything.

For all we know Biden gets an inexplicable bump out of this as old people circle the wagons. :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

When the midterms went how they did, there was no way anyone was going to back a challenge to Biden. If it was 2010 all over again, or if they lost the Senate, I think it would’ve been open season.

It’s also this. We’re living with the largest population of geriatrics in human history, both by raw numbers and by percentages, and our elected politicians reflect that (exacerbated by the fact that they vote in higher percentages, too). And one thing you can’t tell geriatrics is that they’re “too old” for anything.

For all we know Biden gets an inexplicable bump out of this as old people circle the wagons. :hurr:

Time for the Olds to bring back the "ageism now is actually way worse than racism ever was" takes :allears:

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Is it just me or does that Putin/Tucker interview come across as straight up treasonous? Not that Tucker is all that important anymore or that we're at war with Russia in the most direct sense, but we're allied with Ukraine and Putin undoubtedly regards the U.S. as his enemy. It's like Jane Fonda but in reverse. Conservative "journalists" jerking off adversarial dictators maybe isn't that new but the Tucker interview is really weird to me. Not to get all :tinfoil:, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox News never actually fully explained why they fired their biggest money maker, did they?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the average age of the US Senate is 64 and the average age of House members is 57

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Speedboat Jones posted:

Time for the Olds to bring back the "ageism now is actually way worse than racism ever was" takes :allears:

Young and Old water fountains.
Young and Old bathrooms.

The only reason there's Young and Old neighborhoods is because the olds have made 65+ only neighborhoods.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

tek79 posted:

Is it just me or does that Putin/Tucker interview come across as straight up treasonous? Not that Tucker is all that important anymore or that we're at war with Russia in the most direct sense, but we're allied with Ukraine and Putin undoubtedly regards the U.S. as his enemy. It's like Jane Fonda but in reverse. Conservative "journalists" jerking off adversarial dictators maybe isn't that new but the Tucker interview is really weird to me. Not to get all :tinfoil:, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox News never actually fully explained why they fired their biggest money maker, did they?

Dumb yes but not treason. Tucker isn't giving anything away i.e state secrets or something. He's just sooooooo far out of his depth.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

The DNC sticking with Biden for the election this year is still insane to me. This election is going to be closer than it has any right to be with idiot Trump on the ballot.

Right? Going with the sitting incumbent President? Lunacy!

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I can’t believe the dumb democrats are going with the guy that beat Trump to run against Trump. Why are they so dumb?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

BigSexy posted:

I remember back in 2016 when Trump got elected my wife was all upset and I told her im sure even if Trump has no political background, with his lifetime of business experience, he’ll know to surround himself with people who are experts in their field and he won’t ultimately do that much. Surely 1 person won’t have that much power with our checks and balances.

What a dumbass I was.

I think many (myself included) thought that as well. Until we learned that Trump’s image versus reality was revealed to us all. I had never read his book nor did I know about his many bancruptcies (sp sorry idk english) until his presidency made everything soooo clear, never mind the brainworms :/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

He's not important enough to warrant the window treatment, he'll be given a cookie, a pat on the head and sent on his way home.

Post itt every time you lol that the face of the banality of evil tried to give a softball interview to psychopathic evil

Yeah, nothing will happen to Carlson, but only because Putin genuinely doesn't give a gently caress and Tucker realizing that if he says the wrong thing he could find himself dead a hundred different ways with no consequences to his killer is funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tek79 posted:

i mostly found it amusing. tucker probably assumed putin would throw him bones about culture war poo poo like orban does but putin sat down and just went of in a long bullshit boring history rant about not real gilded age imperial bullshit and then shut down tuk tuk when he tried to talk.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It is a lol and evidence to the right wing (false) belief in their own intelligence that Tucker thought this would go well. Jesus, a former kgb/fsb dude, no matter how crazy, is NOT stupid and… idk I give up.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Right? Going with the sitting incumbent President? Lunacy!

Especially when there is the obvious and clear other choice of __________!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Most people's understanding of how memory works is...well they don't. That's why so many people think dementia/Alzheimer's is just really bad forgetfullness.

To be honest, I've been extremely fortunate in that my family always had their minds (more-or-less) until death and I never had to deal with dementia or Alzheimer's up close. However, my wife's grandmother was suffering from pretty bad Alzheimer's, and once you see what it truly can do to someone, it scares the ever-living hell out of you. She went from forgetting my wife's name in the beginning to becoming enraged at any slight in the middle, to basically becoming a permanent kid who would eat tissue paper thinking it was a pastry. There was no fuckin' way that she could be trusted to make even the most basic decisions.

tek79 posted:

It's pretty obvious that Tucker has a relationship of sorts with the Kremlin which isn't a wartime adversary of the US officially, and if you take the first amendment to include the right to freely associate there's really not much that can be done/said. That said, we're all free to believe he is a complete bastard and deserves to drown after falling into a well-used portable toilet outside a Taco Bell. Though I never trusted him in the first place, any politician who cites Tucker in any way that's not critical is basically admitting that they're in Putin's pocket as well, because holy gently caress Tucker really went to Russia to jerk Putin off.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
How old is Tucker and how come he has never evolved from the college young Republican look to the ayyy look at my beard Republican look?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tek79 posted:

It's not remotely treason. Journalists cross enemy lines all the time and it's useful for keeping lines of communication open as well as possibly getting some insight. Tucker is a lovely journalist, but this definitely counts as reporting.

And Fox fired him because he personally cost Fox almost $1 billion already and the rest of the damages for his 2020 election poo poo is still landing on them. Also Murdock hated him personally, but it was the eight hundred million dollars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Firing him might have even been a condition of their settlement

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I bet Biden wouldn't forget that this is the Trump lol thread.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The Carlson interview is also just a massive internal propaganda win ahead of the Russian elections (which are fixed anyway), Putin may as well have had an interview with Mr Bean or Homer Simpson for how much he was able to humiliate a Westoid moron.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

tek79 posted:

Tucker is obviously a complete moron, but a journalist interviewing the leader of the enemy isn't treason, it's just the 1st amendment being practiced.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

How old is Tucker and how come he has never evolved from the college young Republican look to the ayyy look at my beard Republican look?

His beard must be quite shameful

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Doctor Butts posted:

I bet Biden wouldn't forget that this is the Trump lol thread.

I wonder if Biden ever reads this thread in his down time for a lol.
I wonder if Trump ever reads this thread in his down time to get loving mad.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Firing him might have even been a condition of their settlement

Murdoch had dinner with Tucker and his soon-to-be wife. After which he separated from her and fired Carlson. Maybe he realised they're honestly hosed in the head, and not just doing it for cash.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Nooner posted:

He hasn't reached puberty yet.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nooner posted:

Because he's "Rich Yacht Club" Republican

Because the badly bearded morons are the sheep. The Yacht Club boat shoes racists are the real power

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BigSexy posted:

I remember back in 2016 when Trump got elected my wife was all upset and I told her im sure even if Trump has no political background, with his lifetime of business experience, he’ll know to surround himself with people who are experts in their field and he won’t ultimately do that much. Surely 1 person won’t have that much power with our checks and balances.

What a dumbass I was.

Yeah I thought the same thing so haha look at stupid us.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tucker is obviously a complete moron, but a journalist interviewing the leader of the enemy isn't treason, it's just the 1st amendment being practiced.

Tucker isn't a journalist though

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That interview sure as poo poo showed how different right wing USA is to right wing Russia.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Lol y’all just fall for Republican pysop poo poo over and over. That whole report was a smear written up by a R appointed toady that knew Biden didn’t do poo poo wrong on the docs but had to fit as much little bullshit jabs as possible.

Also my dad died unexpected in a car accident in the mid 2010s, I can’t tell you which year off of the top of my head.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Grey Cat posted:

I wonder if Biden ever reads this thread in his down time for a lol.
I wonder if Trump ever reads this thread in his down time to get loving mad.

Me, the Republican PoliSci Masters, showing Trump the SomethingAwful forums on a laptop: "Indicktabull, sir."

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have never understood the anti China sentiment. How the ever loving hell are we supposed to keep sourcing rare earth minerals for..*gestures vaguely at everything* all of the stuff we like to use.. if we aren’t trade partners with china? The dumbest stance in the history of modern humanity.

the communist red was always more pleasing to the eye than conservative (now maga) red. and they've always been jealous that they didn't use that red first.

Commie red
Hex EE1C25
RGB 238, 28, 37
CMYK 0, 88, 84, 7

Maga red
Hex: #d8281b
RGB: (216, 40, 27)
CMYK: 0, 0.814, 0.875, 0.152

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It's not remotely treason. Journalists cross enemy lines all the time and it's useful for keeping lines of communication open as well as possibly getting some insight. Tucker is a lovely journalist, but this definitely counts as reporting.

And Fox fired him because he personally cost Fox almost $1 billion already and the rest of the damages for his 2020 election poo poo is still landing on them. Also Murdock hated him personally, but it was the eight hundred million dollars.

Yeah I guess "treason" was probably not the right word on my part. I'd be interested in a Putin interview by a more neutral and/or serious journalist willing to put some pressure on him. Tucker's thing just looks like a big commercial he arranged for his hero, who happens to be a lovely dictator who hates the U.S.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hoping natural selection would occur as Tucker inadvertently utters a no-no phase in front of Putin and tragically comes down with an unexplained case of "Falling out a 10 story window" disease.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Putin and Tucker sounds like a lovely buddy cop drama.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

Putin and Tucker sounds like a lovely buddy cop drama.

It does have a kind of Turner and Hooch vibe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It does have a kind of Turner and Hooch vibe.

No, they're more K-9 than Turner and Hooch.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

FuturePastNow posted:

the average age of the US Senate is 64 and the average age of House members is 57

Senate average age probably went down when Feinstein died. There's a few more olds in there that'll really drop it in the next few years.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Most people's understanding of how memory works is...well they don't. That's why so many people think dementia/Alzheimer's is just really bad forgetfullness.

I mean, a lot of people are also super certian that memory is like a camera pointed out your eyeballs; there's a lot of scams (mostly cold-reading style stuff) that relies on the fact that you can reliably re-enforce a false memory in certain ways.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Senate average age probably went down when Feinstein died. There's a few more olds in there that'll really drop it in the next few years.

:wrong:

Grassley is going to live forever. His secret? U kno what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Doocy's "C'mon man" hand there at the end is perfection.

TulliusCicero posted:

This is from personal experience, but if you have personal trauma, like around a loved one's death for instance, memory can get real fuzzy real quick.

From my own experience recently, I had a procedure done a few years ago around a time when my life was not great, and when my doctor asked what was the last time I had one I couldn't even nail down a year between 2014-2017.

I'm 34. I can barely remember months of 2020 after my father passed.

This. I'm 45 (or at least I will be tomorrow), so not ancient like Biden. In 2021, my father and my husband's mother both died. I do not remember 2022 at all. I have pictures and Facebook memories that show I was out there living my life, but I cannot tell you one single thing that happened. I'm not going to begrudge anyone losing time around the death of a child.

I was explaining to my son why the "well meaning elderly man" thing was so bad for Biden and had to resort to Dr. Who's "Don't you think she looks tired" with Harriet Jones. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidbEhL0teE) I suspect we'll be having a number of conversations on politics, propaganda, and the perception of power.