Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Eiffel Tower is in Mario Is Missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Cael posted:

there’s movies a beer or two at the theater will make an entertaining enough watch

and then there’s some better done at home because you need a six pack or two

I saw Last Jedi in theatre and the best part was a guy screaming poo poo in the front row while everyone told him to shut the gently caress up. Hollering stuff like ‘and that’s why you don’t bring a lightsaber to a Star Wars!!!’ in the silence after the light speed kamikaze scene, or ‘aaarrRRRGH NIPPLES’ at shirtless Kylo

Anyways he left an hour before it was over and as he stood up we heard a cascade of beer cans fall off him and roll down the aisle.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Durf posted:

I saw Last Jedi in theatre and the best part was a guy screaming poo poo in the front row while everyone told him to shut the gently caress up. Hollering stuff like ‘and that’s why you don’t bring a lightsaber to a Star Wars!!!’ in the silence after the light speed kamikaze scene, or ‘aaarrRRRGH NIPPLES’ at shirtless Kylo

Anyways he left an hour before it was over and as he stood up we heard a cascade of beer cans fall off him and roll down the aisle.

i like this guy. can you tell him i want to be friends with him

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Durf posted:

that's how you should watch garbage movies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

that's how you should watch garbage movies

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Durf posted:

Is there really an hour of the film left after the lightspeed suicide?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i often see goons complain about "why would i want to go sit in a theater with other people hootin and hollerin'????", that's precisely why. it owns

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there really an hour of the film left after the lightspeed suicide?

they had to do the "battle of hoth, but completely incoherent" set piece

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BONGHITZ posted:

as good as any sonic game imo

That’s a whole lotta words to say “Looks like Bowser kidnapped Peach again. Go to these random wacky places (Egypt! A Toy Box!) and jump on some heads till you run out of places”. The simplicity is part of the charm. It’s all just excuses to do funny vignettes. Why does the mushroom kingdom have ancient Egyptian ruins? Because Mario jumping on a mummy makes for a good time that’s why.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

the milk machine posted:

drat I've only seen maybe half of these, adding to my Plex now :twisted:

go ahead and throw universal soldier: regeneration on there. it's directed by his son, but he did the cinematography and, more importantly, it just straight loving rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

i often see goons complain about "why would i want to go sit in a theater with other people hootin and hollerin'????", that's precisely why. it owns

yeah ideally but idk there's a difference between that and the reality of what its become which is like people bringing their 3 year olds to "Halloween Kills" and letting them watch an iPad with no headphones

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you're willing to spend $30 you can go to one of the "fancy" theaters that kicks those people out on the spot

but even the best case scenario, I'm still sitting through a way too long movie where 90% of my left and right auditory fields are just people crunching on popcorn because god forbid you should have to go without grazing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

go ahead and throw universal soldier: regeneration on there. it's directed by his son, but he did the cinematography and, more importantly, it just straight loving rules

Day of Reckoning too, it's like if The Parallax View was a direct to video action movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

but even the best case scenario, I'm still sitting through a way too long movie where 90% of my left and right auditory fields are just people crunching on popcorn because god forbid you should have to go without grazing

tbh that seems more like you just have misophonia than a problem with movies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

tbh that seems more like you just have misophonia than a problem with movies

I've never heard this term but oh poo poo, maybe

you've taught me something today, Pepe
that's a day well spent and it's not even 9am

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
np bud, my best friend is like unable to sit near someone chewing gum so I'm familiar

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Day of Reckoning too, it's like if The Parallax View was a direct to video action movie

"what if, halfway through Blue Velvet, they started doing backflips and killing each other with baseball bats"

it's a phenomenal paranoia movie, and a very different beast than Regeneration

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Laterite posted:

hell yeah, you're always in for a pretty good time with Peter Hyams flicks

Outland
Capricorn One
Running Scared
Timecop
Sudden Death
Busting
End Of Days
Stay Tuned

I thought for a second it was the 2006 Running Scared which owns bones and stars an unhinged Paul Walker.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Shageletic posted:

I thought for a second it was the 2006 Running Scared which owns bones and stars an unhinged Paul Walker.

if you can adjust your understanding of "a good movie" then this is also a legitimately fantastic movie

it's Trash Masterpiece Day in the pop culture thread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flashback to 2012 when I went to Avengers 1 rip roaring drunk and loving fell asleep in my seat like 2 minutes after sitting down

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh also my ex in college made me go to Twilight in theaters with her but let me get drunk first and in that one I was definitely annoying theatergoers by, eg, laughing aloud at the vampire baseball Muse music video sequence

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I see people complaining about hearing food eating in theaters and it makes me think I must be partially deaf. I've been to hundreds of movies in my life and can't think of a time I ever noticed the mouth noises of someone eating over the surround sound

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the miso people are just mad at the movie and taking it out on their fellow viewers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hate when people talk at the theater. Laughs, surprised screams are fine. Outright saying poo poo is annoying. Go away!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Laterite posted:

hell yeah, you're always in for a pretty good time with Peter Hyams flicks

Outland
Capricorn One
Running Scared
Timecop
Sudden Death
Busting
End Of Days
Stay Tuned

probably unpopular opinion but I really like The Musketeer

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Zardoz is a good movie.

You should also watch Mechanical Violator Hakaider.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i finally watched Zardoz for the first time recently, it kicked rear end

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah it's loving sick

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

:hfive:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
okay, I try not to make fun of cspam too much, but I draw the line at "life is getting worse in America and the proof is that people eat popcorn at the movies now"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we already cleared that up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

if anything, the comfy seats with the sound built in and being able to buy beer and reserve you spot have made the movie experience better than it's ever been

I just apparently have the terrible superpower of hyperawareness of certain sounds
which I think is the same power one of the eternals had

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the proof that life is getting worse is that the movies you can watch in those theaters all suck now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m fine with people talking at a movie if what they say is funny. so most of the time I’m annoyed but sometimes it really pays off

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m fine with people talking at a movie if what they say is funny. so most of the time I’m annoyed but sometimes it really pays off

the best way to watch a movie sometimes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the proof that life is getting worse is that the movies you can watch in those theaters all suck now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

Unsurprising

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Interesting update on this. WBD is toast
https://twitter.com/DrewTailored/status/1755968377536094270?t=6jbo025TA1F1zuOmHpcFaQ&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

getting to take a tax writeoff for $40 million on a movie you're getting multiple offers on, why is our country falling apart??