Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Mentioned this in the discord (https://discord.gg/345gUjbsqw), but my most enjoyable moment on day 1 was a Challenging mission where nobody realized that the timer was about to run out, so I had to go running into the middle of a set of bug nests, action movie hero style, and grenade 4-6 of them so we could book it towards the evac point and only have to face a small amount of time in the zero-stratagems zone. In that moment, I felt as cool as the game hypes you up to be, for once.

Looking forward to getting destroyed on Hard and up over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

truther posted:

The underrated hero is the short load screens.

I always appreciate a game when you're not waiting round ages for it to load.

This game puts Vermintide to shame with long post-game rewards screens though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh, speaking of Hard.

Decided to do a mission this morning before I leave for work, and it definitely feels like a difficulty spike up from Challenging, but it's still doable with a competent-enough team, even with minimal coordination. But this just reinforces the idea that by the time you make it to the final difficulty tier (Suicide Mission and up), you're gonna want to be organized, or else you're bug chow.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 9, 2024

Matt141
May 3, 2012

the higher level difficulties(extreme and above) sure are something

had to fight like 6 titans in total that mission, 3 simultanously at one point(and supported by a horde of weaker mobs that were dead by the time of this screenshot)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Devs did a big update on discord - hot fix for PS5 should be out in a few hours to fix (most) of the quick match issues.

They’re also working on a bunch of other issues - it’s an interesting post because they break down what’s happening.

Boils down to game got too many friends saving managed democracy!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
:patriot: :911:

https://i.imgur.com/6F7F8hH.mp4

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hey stupid newbie question, I played last night and my first mission seemed to quick match me with a random group of players. Subsequent missions didn't though. Is that because matchmaking is still busted, or is there some option or something I forgot to toggle?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Did you hit the quick play button, or did you pick a mission on the board that already shows existing player count?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what's the best way to deal with Chargers?

I've been playing for a bit and nothing messes up a mission like having 3-4 of the drat things show up at the same time.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Been having a blast with this, but nothing is a jarring as fighting bugs for 20 missions then trying out the robots on 4 difficulty for the first time and being put on loving 10010-maha beach with barbed wire, mine fields, dropships, chainsaw-sword-armed-motherfuckers, and tanks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Atoramos posted:

Did you hit the quick play button, or did you pick a mission on the board that already shows existing player count?

Alright, I didn't even notice the mission board player count thing. I'll tool around with it tonight to figure it out. Thanks!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah the automatons feel so different from the bugs, which I didn’t expect. It’s almost a totally different play style as far as I can tell. Saying that, what in the name of freedom are you doing playing robot planets? Have you not READ the ORDER from Super Earth???? WERE FOCUSING ON THE drat BUGS

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey stupid newbie question, I played last night and my first mission seemed to quick match me with a random group of players. Subsequent missions didn't though. Is that because matchmaking is still busted, or is there some option or something I forgot to toggle?

Matchmaking is still kinda busted but working better than at launch. If you try to quick join from the map you may have to try several times before it puts you with a party and a spot that it didnt fill with someone else faster.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Something about the running animation of PS5 feels off.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Koorisch posted:

I've been playing for a bit and nothing messes up a mission like having 3-4 of the drat things show up at the same time.

Was showing my wife the game, doing a mission to hunt down and kill two special Chargers. I threw a strafe run and an orbital strike that stuck to the Charger, which proceeded to charge me. I successfully dodged away from the blast, turned and fired to finish off the bug....only to headshot my squadmate with pinpoint precision.

Anyways, she's buying the game now to join in. Big blasts seem to do the trick, or anything that penetrates shells.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So far i've been doing fine just calling down expendable anti tanks if i'm solo playing to kill chargers, but whenever i have friends its so absolutely satisfying to just have two of us buddy up on the recoilless to completely shred them.

If you have a third guy with a supply pack you can fire for even longer. Me and a buddy went to clear off a side nest on our own as we were playing in a four stack and trusted the other two, would not have been able to do that with a random due to the heavies, but because we're both working together to take down the big ones, its barely a step to get over.

Also the grenade launcher absolutely fucks on the "seal the holes" missions because you can roll up to a nest and just fire it into every nest from a mile away.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Yeah imo recoilless rifle is the way to go for chargers, the expendable is just way too slow if there's more than one. Only issue is getting people to use it if you're pubbing it up.

The extra strategem call in time effect is super lame

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

Something about the running animation of PS5 feels off.

Are you trying to run on ice because they actually have you slip slide a little bit. If you dive on ice you also slowly continuously slide as well.

This game has so many teeny little touches like that making it feel super detailed and polished.

Also I can't figure out how to get the prompt for making a snowball, it feels sort of random if you can or not.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

dogstile posted:

Also the grenade launcher absolutely fucks on the "seal the holes" missions because you can roll up to a nest and just fire it into every nest from a mile away.

I've noticed the Autocannon can actually seal holes too if you hit them in the middle of the hole entrance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
trip report;

laser cannon unfortunately sucks. it does what it does well enough, but the machinegun(s) isn't that dire on ammo and is more reliable.

the anti-material rifle is okay and can take care of pesky armored chafe enemies but isn't going to do much against the bigger boys you actually want equipment for. I am not sure if it's any better then the standard MG is against chargers, given you'll want to bop it in the butt anyway. matter of taste.

the smg surprisingly fucks; it's the main gun with slightly less ammo but you can fire while running around like pistols. maybe it wouldn't be so great on controller, but even without a reticle my accuracy is pretty great on MnK and I can just run out of bug attacks. You can also just aim and it's basically the assault rifle at that point. very cool and good. i've had great success just screaming into a nest with the engineer armor and chucking grenades into holes while clearing a path and never slowing down.

the shotgun imo sucks. the doublebarrel you can find in level on the flipside is rad as hell.

Koorisch posted:

be the matador to their bull. assuming your team is paying attention get ones attention, run behind it so it shakes its rear end as your team and then dive to the side while it bumbles toward you. so long as one doesn't sneak up on you chargers actually aren't all that, just tedious bullet sponges

if you really want to go gently caress charges then the EMS stratagem's showcase shows the hard stun works on them, too

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Their turn radius isn't as tight as yours so I was able to get one on me and then just run circles around it while my teammates shot it. Worked beautifully.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The SES Elected Representative of the Constitution's name just barely fits on the side of the ship lmao

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bought the game. It rocks. The switch to over-the-shoulder is fun. My earlier posts concerned about how fun the game would be are all waived.

Haven’t encountered a charger yet, but yeah the strategy in Helldivers 1 was to dive out of the way when it came at you and then shoot its glowing red rear end while it paused to recover. I don’t think it could even take damage from the front.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bardeh posted:

E: people who put a minefield down on the extract point can get hosed though

Over my minefield surrounded body!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RBA Starblade posted:

The SES Elected Representative of the Constitution's name just barely fits on the side of the ship lmao

I went with Elected Representative of Individual Merit for max wordlength

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Helpful tip against chargers, when they do their big charge you can bait them to smash into walls for a stun. Additionally, those blue flowers on Heeth will stun chargers (or any bug) for what feels like an eternity. Easily enough time to call an orbital or two, and the AOE is big enough to catch like 3 of them at once.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

the shotgun imo sucks. the doublebarrel you can find in level on the flipside is rad as hell.

The Punisher rocks, you can pretty much reload the whole shotgun in 1 second and you don't have to worry about conserving mags (because you're loading individual shells) and is really good at shredding weakpoint like the legs on Hive Guards and other nasties. It's only downside is it's ammo hungry.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
:frogc00l:

https://i.imgur.com/kqGIpxU.mp4

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Back Hack posted:

The Punisher rocks, you can pretty much reload the whole shotgun in 1 second and you don't have to worry about conserving mags (because you're loading individual shells) and is really good at shredding weakpoint like the legs on Hive Guards and other nasties. It's only downside is it's ammo hungry.

Yea if you're willing to scrounge up ammo or get some support to feed it, the shotty seemed pretty good. We found a laser cannon on the ice world and it seemed great but then we blew up and couldn't figure out if it was a mechanic we didn't understand with the laser and heat, or something else.

Also I like knowing that the orbital cannon is the Triumph of Family Values.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 9, 2024

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've managed a couple of games with people on my PSN friends list, but beyond that I've had no luck whatsoever joining with the quickplay/using the beacon. Really disappointing because when it actually works, it's great fun! I really hope this gets fixed soon because yikes it's disappointing.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Instead of ammo, laser guns in the first game had a heat buildup gauge you had to keep an eye on. It’d go down when you took a break but it’d overheat and hurt you if it filled all the way up. Sounds like that’s how they work in this game too.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

That's how I expected the laser to work but we didn't see the heat gauge, probably just didn't know where to look.

I also seem to keep running into an issue on missions where I need to turn the valves to open pipes, sometimes if there's a dead bug or whatever on the valve I can't seem to interact with it. Trying to shoot/blow up the corpse doesn't do anything, so I always end up walking away and letting someone else deal with it. Happened twice.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 9, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

yup, same

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've played a few matches. it's a lot harder on your own, and starting out with few stratagems playing solo is TOUGH. I failed an extraction and the ship decided not to come because I was too far away, but the bugs never stopped swarming the extraction point. I thought they'd stop after I killed all of the current wave since the ship wasn't coming, but they just kept on coming.

I also got my first and second crashes to desktop. First in a lobby, second during a tough part of a match. I suppose I'll try turning down graphics settings (I never changed them but I think they're on ultra, I have an nvida 3800)

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Share your ship name!:

Mine is "Princess of Judgement"

Been playing mostly solo, and on one easy mission I found 50 super credits, so I guess the monetization won't be super aggressive...at least for the time being.

I do hope they manage to fix matchmaking on PS5 before the weekend is over.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Playing with pubbies is fail. Get some goon friends.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Atoramos posted:

That's how I expected the laser to work but we didn't see the heat gauge, probably just didn't know where to look.

The heat gauge is there, it's the little white coil icon near the ammo count bar. It turns red when it gets close to full and it will overheat if the icon fills up.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Turret needs to last longer imo but the minefield has been a constant source of lols

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The laser just seems to not do very much damage in exchange for being able to conserve ammo. I hope it gets a small buff because I like using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Playing with pubbies is fail. Get some goon friends.

Is there a discord? I didnt see it in the OP