Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It should operate on No More Heroes rules, if the bottom guy wins he automatically becomes number 1 but then that means the new number 1 guy can get challenged anywhere at any time by anyone in the ranks

gave them headbands like in afro samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i don't understand why swerve had to beat hagman on wednesday to be #1 contender, wasn't swerve already ahead cos he beat hangman twice?

i'm pretty sure before the match Ex mentioned on commentary that Swerve was ahead in the rankings because he'd beaten Hanger twice , so surely a time-limit draw would leave swerve ahead? it confused me

You are correct. It was just straight up incorrect the way they presented it. The draw should've made Swerve the sole #1 contender. Thus, going into this, Hangman should've been the #1 contender, either justifying it somehow via strength of victory or they should've just given him an extra win against a jobber to make him 5-0, thus he can go "HAHA FUCKO YOU DIDN'T BEAT ME, NO TITLE SHOT" and then they can make the announcement for the 3-way with the logic of, Swerve was about to win the match and Swerve beat Hangman twice last year.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The in-canon explanation is that Hangman Page is an idiot, as usual.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Too empty headed to understand the difference between 1 and 2. 😔

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

yeah but he's hot. So it's cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lot of himbos in wrestling

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

RBX posted:

What's the point of being #1 if I still have to fight for a title shot

-bama fans every year

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Swerve kicked him in the head so hard math fell out

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all the champions are really old and going to die soon

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

if you think orange cassidy is 40 then well 'may the 4th be with you'

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2024

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who are you talking to?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

and also with you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cavauro posted:

all the champions are really old and going to die soon

death is just another door, brother.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
AEW has been good lately, but it's like a cozy, safe blanket. It needs to stop being bland and predictable and get a little of that old Nitro energy they had for awhile.

Why the hell Tony hasn't done a spring break type show on a college campus or on the beach or something when he grew up watching Nitro is beyond me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

AEW has been good lately, but it's like a cozy, safe blanket. It needs to stop being bland and predictable and get a little of that old Nitro energy they had for awhile.

Why the hell Tony hasn't done a spring break type show on a college campus or on the beach or something when he grew up watching Nitro is beyond me.

I get the logistics make it difficult but them not doing another Dynamite or Collision on the Jericho cruise strikes me as silly given how unique the atmosphere was when they did it the first time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

tony needs to get his poo poo together and hold a show at a biker rally really get the marks going

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Once Kenny gets healthy have an AEW event at Evo/anime convention

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Yeah, one of AEW's biggest failings is continually chasing after WWE chuds instead of trying to attract a new audience. There are tons of people that would probably be interested in wrestling if you just showed them that not all wrestling is WWE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Most Power Alex posted:

Yeah, one of AEW's biggest failings is continually chasing after WWE chuds instead of trying to attract a new audience. There are tons of people that would probably be interested in wrestling if you just showed them that not all wrestling is WWE.

this is the kinda dumbass braindead opinion the hell thread was made for. thank you, king

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I get the logistics make it difficult but them not doing another Dynamite or Collision on the Jericho cruise strikes me as silly given how unique the atmosphere was when they did it the first time

Especially because all the arenas they run look the exact same anyway. I'd love it if they set up a show someplace weird, just for the aesthetics alone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

It's 2024, it's not cool to encourage underage drinking anymore.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

I totally agree with this, and it touches on what feels off. From announcing nearly every match in advance to booking in predictable ways match after match to diminishing returns on gimmick matches that are nearly all the same, it feels like AEW has lost that unhinged wild energy that drew me into it.

I think going into each Dynamite not knowing every single thing that's going to happen would be a real boon to the viewer to add some chaos energy and unpredictability, and it would allow people to tune in every show and HOPE that they see their favorites, instead of knowing when to watch and when not to watch based on the announced card and in-ring promos.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Announcing matches in advance is good! builds hype. Surprise matches are good but they're more of a treat than something that should be the norm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fawning deference posted:

I totally agree with this, and it touches on what feels off. From announcing nearly every match in advance to booking in predictable ways match after match to diminishing returns on gimmick matches that are nearly all the same, it feels like AEW has lost that unhinged wild energy that drew me into it.

I think going into each Dynamite not knowing every single thing that's going to happen would be a real boon to the viewer to add some chaos energy and unpredictability, and it would allow people to tune in every show and HOPE that they see their favorites, instead of knowing when to watch and when not to watch based on the announced card and in-ring promos.

You want the novelty of not knowing the roster or where on the card people fit in. That's not something they can give you because you now know Daniel Garcia is more important than Shane Taylor to TK

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I do not think that booking a show like Monday Night Raw in 2010 is a good way to make a show feel more exciting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They should start "booking" the matches during the show in kayfabe to really pump up the wild energy. Like the show can open and we have no idea what the main event is and maybe we start the show with a bunch of guys coming out wondering when their match is because no one told them and then Tony comes out and books all the matches based on who is mad and fighting with each other at that moment.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also sometimes they shoot shoot a member of the roster to keep the chaos energy up

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

this is the kinda dumbass braindead opinion the hell thread was made for. thank you, king

Thank you, I try my best to remain on brand.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

To please everyone, they should announce everything for dynamite but nothing for collision. That we when one show starts selling out and the other is empty we will know which is right

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cavauro posted:

who are you talking to?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
They should try and get guest hosts every week to liven it up. Could you imagine if they got Young Sheldon to interact with Toni Storm?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Bring back ZZ Top

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Hell thread has started advocating for Russo booking now. Hate to see it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it would be cool to see AEW outreach to poo poo like Evo. But I also think it would be cooler if they had a good game to plug when they do it.

Alas....

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I think it would be cool to see AEW outreach to poo poo like Evo. But I also think it would be cooler if they had a good game to plug when they do it.

Alas....

The last time a wrestling company tried to work with a video game event we got a convicted pedophile in a New Japan ring, so maybe find a different group to cater to.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good point, video game fans don't really get wrestling. Not a proper match unless everyone in it has a violent sex criminal past.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

Good point, video game fans don't really get wrestling. Not a proper match unless everyone in it has a violent sex criminal past.

In my experience, video game fans don't really get anything that isn't video games.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the freakin' wwe chuds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pylons posted:

The Hell thread has started advocating for Russo booking now. Hate to see it.

AEW needs russo more than he needs it, bro