Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I know it's a fool's errand to gaze into the abyssal mind of the average Trump voter but I'm failing to imagine him growing his voter base further. Granted, he did so from '16 to '20 but I see that as a high watermark that he could, at best achieve a second time.

In terms of the election becoming a disaster it seems more plausible to me that Biden simply loses voters to apathy. But for the life of me I can't imagine someone not voting for him in '20 and warming up to the idea in '24.

i mean my uncle is one and its all insane chud conspiracy poo poo.

this is what he posted during the tucker putin thing.

i know this type of chud insanity scares the poo poo out of all the boomer indies and moderates i know, way more then biden flub poo poo. Chuds scare moderates alot as does trump because the chud poo poo is insane giberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

volts5000 posted:

I’m always keeping the post-2018 election results in my mind. That right there should be proof enough. But the vibes can be overwhelming. I’m taking my mom to the dentist and all I’ve heard is “Biden is so feeble! Do you see the way he walks! Just like my mom when she had dementia! The report said he didn’t even know what year it was! Makes you wonder who’s really running this country! It’s someone we didn’t even elect!” It sucks because I know there are more people like her who have been mainlining Fox News 24/7. It’s loving depressing.

The thing is that it is indiscernible from the pre-2020 election. "Biden is old and dementia-riddled" was the entire argument against him, and he won anyway. Trump has since then tried to overthrow the government and might not even be allowed to run in several states because of it.

It's not much of an argument to say that people will overlook Trump being ten times worse than he was before because Joe Biden got 5% older, when they apparently didn't actually care how old Joe Biden was the first time around. All the people that cared before and voted for him anyway, or voted for Trump because of it, or sat out, didn't get warmer on Trump since then. If there was a different candidate than Trump, maybe, but there isn't. It's the exact same election except Biden is maybe 5% worse and Trump is even more open about being a wannabe dictator.

edit: typo

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 9, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xombie posted:

The thing is that it is indiscernible from the pre-2016 election. "Biden is old and dementia-riddled" was the entire argument against him, and he won anyway.

Biden didn't compete in that election.

And see, because I can remember that piece of information, I can also remember that Beau Biden died in 2015. With this intense level of recall I should run for President or at least get a bye into the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

volts5000 posted:

I’m always keeping the post-2016 election results in my mind. That right there should be proof enough. But the vibes can be overwhelming. I’m taking my mom to the dentist and all I’ve heard is “Biden is so feeble! Do you see the way he walks! Just like my mom when she had dementia! The report said he didn’t even know what year it was! Makes you wonder who’s really running this country! It’s someone we didn’t even elect!” It sucks because I know there are more people like her who have been mainlining Fox News 24/7. It’s loving depressing.

Did you just say that your vibes are right because they’re the right vibes and you vibe extra hard?

Go for a walk or something.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just say that your vibes are right because they’re the right vibes and you vibe extra hard?

Go for a walk or something.

No. I did not say that. I just said that I understand the vibes and knowing people who buy into the conspiracy bullshit can be depressing.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean my uncle is one and its all insane chud conspiracy poo poo.

And this uncle did not vote for Trump in '20?

You owe it to us to keep him distracted somehow on election day. Tell him you found the location of the TRUE pizza basement full of kids and give him an all-day clues hunt.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Scags McDouglas posted:

In terms of the election becoming a disaster it seems more plausible to me that Biden simply loses voters to apathy. But for the life of me I can't imagine someone not voting for him in '20 and warming up to the idea in '24.

Eh, I could see Biden gaining voters that he didn't win over in 2020. He's done a lot of concrete things during his presidency that has majorly affected peoples' lives.

One easy examples is restructuring student loans, which slashed monthly payments by substantial amounts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

volts5000 posted:

I’m always keeping the post-2016 election results in my mind. That right there should be proof enough. But the vibes can be overwhelming. I’m taking my mom to the dentist and all I’ve heard is “Biden is so feeble! Do you see the way he walks! Just like my mom when she had dementia! The report said he didn’t even know what year it was! Makes you wonder who’s really running this country! It’s someone we didn’t even elect!” It sucks because I know there are more people like her who have been mainlining Fox News 24/7. It’s loving depressing.

Propaganda works, and there are billion dollar empires solely and specifically dedicated to spewing right wing propaganda every minute of every day across every platform for decades straight. They're never going away, and they'll never stop. It's a really lovely situation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

And this uncle did not vote for Trump in '20?

You owe it to us to keep him distracted somehow on election day. Tell him you found the location of the TRUE pizza basement full of kids and give him an all-day clues hunt.

he voted for him in 2020 and 2016. i use him a barometor for chuds and my dad and aunt as one for indie moderates. its a flawed system but hasnt been wrong yet

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sounds like they got the same reporting that was immediately posted here and repeated it because people love catastrophising about Trump

Meanwhile, Barack Obama thinks there are 57 states, can’t spell « advice », and thinks austrian is a language. Everyone remembers when that torpedoed him right?

People weren't telling pollsters that their number one concern about Obama was his age. Biden's opponents have been slinging senility accusations against him for years, and not just from the right either. Between that and his considerable age, he's far more vulnerable to these sorts of attacks.

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll sink him, of course. I still fondly remember how many Bernie supporters dismissed Joe Biden leading the polls, because they were convinced he was a senile sundowning mess who would totally lose all support the moment a camera caught sight of him after sunset. But on the other hand, it's not good to be outright dismissive of the possibility.

The most important lesson of the last eight years is that Americans - including us right here on SA - are terrible at predicting the outcomes of elections, and that very unlikely-seeming outcomes can in fact happen.

Bellmaker posted:

Dobbs is far worse for Republicans than COVID ever was, and this has been reflected in every election since 2022.

You'd think so, but polls surprisingly haven't really been showing that. According to the pollsters, people's top three most important political issues in the election are inflation, immigration, and protecting democracy. In spite of Dobbs, abortion apparently ranks fairly low on people's political priorities.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I know it's a fool's errand to gaze into the abyssal mind of the average Trump voter but I'm failing to imagine him growing his voter base further. Granted, he did so from '16 to '20 but I see that as a high watermark that he could, at best achieve a second time.

Among the people who somehow don't have a strong preference for either Trump or Biden after the last eight years, indications are that the "Biden is old" and "the Democrats are engaging in politically-motivated prosecutions of Trump" stuff is actually landing to some extent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

volts5000 posted:

People who mainline Fox News are not the average voter and were never going to vote for Biden. Hell, anyone who watches any cable news is an electoral freak and at the margins of the overall voting base. Most of MAGA doesn't even watch that poo poo and get all their news forwarded to them or by looking for more of the cult info.

It's hard to tell because algorithms and all, but it seems like outside Fox most of the coverage is just Biden old, Biden hits back, People mad at the report, and Biden clowns on Doocy. The story doesn't have one narrative, and as such it has no more legs than the last time Biden's dentures fell out and he started asking when he'd get applesauce.

There's also 2 Trump Supreme Court cases and all his other trial poo poo that is loaded and waiting to smother any other story. Plus Tucker talked to Putin and got roasted and weather poo poo is still going on.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Kalit posted:

Eh, I could see Biden gaining voters that he didn't win over in 2020.

I probably didn't phrase myself right, I was just musing on a scenario where Biden loses- not one I see as likely. I just think that Trump gaining voters is especially unlikely.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he voted for him in 2020 and 2016. i use him a barometor for chuds and my dad and aunt as one for indie moderates. its a flawed system but hasnt been wrong yet

Totally gotcha but my point was that for Trump to expand his base he'd have to pull in people who did not vote for him in '20 and I see that as a dry well.

Main Paineframe posted:

"the Democrats are engaging in politically-motivated prosecutions of Trump" stuff is actually landing to some extent.

I can't imagine that being anything worse than a net wash once he's convicted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump is not going to gain voters. I just think it’s very up in the air as to where the enthusiasm will be (if at all). Trump’s rallies are more and more sparsely attended. But clearly people are still pissed on the economy and they are going to blame Biden whether or not he had anything to do with the inflation. So my concern is a lower turnout election which probably favors Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Larry Hogan is running for Senate and Cathy McMorris Rodgers (previously the #3 ranking member of House GOP leadership) is retiring.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1755991726030782526

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/08/politics/cathy-mcmorris-rodgers-not-running-reelection/index.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Larry Hogan is running for Senate and Cathy McMorris Rodgers (previously the #3 ranking member of House GOP leadership) is retiring.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1755991726030782526

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/08/politics/cathy-mcmorris-rodgers-not-running-reelection/index.html

Larry would have a shot but with the GOP being itself. i dont think he wins the primary.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Larry would have a shot but with the GOP being itself. i dont think he wins the primary.

Wasn't he a popular governor? Is Maryland's GOP that far gone?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

his pick got crushed in the primary by some weird moron who basicaly read /pol/ posts i believe. Like i think he can pull of a primary win and could probably win the general but i think he will lose to some maga weirdo.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

He's not winning a md senat seet

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

his pick got crushed in the primary by some weird moron who basicaly read /pol/ posts i believe. Like i think he can pull of a primary win and could probably win the general but i think he will lose to some maga weirdo.

Also he probably isn't winning a primary based on the fact that he took COVID-19 seriously.

EDIT: Also if he does make it through the primary he might have to answer more questions about Roy McGrath, his former chief of staff who was indicted on wire fraud, misconduct in office, and improper use of state funds, which led to a manhunt that ended in April of last year when he tried to Budd Dwyer himself after a police chase. It's inconclusive as to whether or not his self-inflicted gunshot wound or the one inflicted by the FBI agent was the fatal shot.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 9, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eric Cantonese posted:

I will give him the credit he doesn't deserve, he was one of the last of a dying breed of Republicans that weren't in the party for the express purposes of cheering on fascism. He didn't hide his -R, but he did actually speak out against Trump. gently caress him and I hope he fucks off as I still knocked on doors for his opponent because he is on team -R instead of coming clean and renouncing them but he was no Boebert or Greene.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

I will give him the credit he doesn't deserve, he was one of the last of a dying breed of Republicans that weren't in the party for the express purposes of cheering on fascism. He didn't hide his -R, but he did actually speak out against Trump. gently caress him and I hope he fucks off as I still knocked on doors for his opponent because he is on team -R instead of coming clean and renouncing them but he was no Boebert or Greene.

The bar to being a Boebert or Greene is so low that you paradoxically have to try really hard to be that much of a fascist toady.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like, I don't know how someone like Silwa or MTG manages. I read a blurb about their day and it sounds exhausting.

The answer is drugs isn't it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Morrow posted:

Like, I don't know how someone like Silwa or MTG manages. I read a blurb about their day and it sounds exhausting.

Yeah, when anyone does some poo poo that is completely inexplicable the answer is often stupidity and/or hella drugs

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, when anyone does some poo poo that is completely inexplicable the answer is often stupidity and/or hella drugs

It's quite obvious that MtG is incredibly stupid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morrow posted:

Sliwa is 69 (nice) and has been doing this for his whole adult life, he's set in his ways. No idea what MTG or Boebert's excuse is

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Failed Imagineer posted:

And/or personality disorder.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

When Curtis Sliwa started the Guardian Angels it was about preventing crime on the subways etc.

Was there a point at which the message became more explicitly racist or anti immigrant? I know a violent vigilante group is a perfect fit for “wannabe brownshirts for Trump” but did they have an anti immigrant messaging before 2016?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zwabu posted:

When Curtis Sliwa started the Guardian Angels it was about preventing crime on the subways etc.

Was there a point at which the message became more explicitly racist or anti immigrant? I know a violent vigilante group is a perfect fit for “wannabe brownshirts for Trump” but did they have an anti immigrant messaging before 2016?

It wasn't until recently (and when Sliwa became an official GOP political official) that they started on the migrant angle. They were mostly just hall monitors on the subway in the 70's and 80's with the assumption that people were less likely to commit a crime if someone in uniform was there watching.

There's not really any evidence they had much impact on crime and Sliwa got in trouble for faking successful attempts at stopping crimes for publicity at one point, but they weren't focused on immigration status at all until post-2016.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Sounds like they were no angels

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Morrow posted:

Greene has….a lot going on.

Even back when I knew her from the Atlanta CrossFit scene she was always acting in a way that now I’d describe as manic.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Greene has….a lot going on.

Even back when I knew her from the Atlanta CrossFit scene she was always acting in a way that now I’d describe as manic.

Every time I'm reminded of this it's funny all over again.

You should take a job at Boebert's lovely restaurant and befriend her too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scags McDouglas posted:

Every time I'm reminded of this it's funny all over again.

You should take a job at Boebert's lovely restaurant and befriend her too.

I have neither breasts or a CCL so I don’t know if they’ll hire me.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 9, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I have to give Larry Hogan credit.

His policy page is actually fairly long and he has some extremely solid ideas that you don't typically see from Republican public policy white papers.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

His policy page is actually fairly long and he has some extremely solid ideas that you don't typically see from Republican public policy white papers.

He's chasing the Latin vote.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

he will never get the hellinists now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How romantic.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

small butter posted:

Edit 2: S&P just hit 5000. 😎
stocks don't feed people's family, fuel their cars, or pay their rent

not saying that it should be dismissed, but a lot of people in my income bracket could give less than a poo poo about the markets. hell, i don't even have a retirement account that could benefit from it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Killer robot posted:

I hate to say it but he'll likely pick up more from them than he'll lose from Carthaginians.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ms Adequate posted:

I hate to say it but he'll likely pick up more from them than he'll lose from Carthaginians.

The uselessness of Senates is a timeless theme throughout history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Psh, this is just him copy-pasting his plan for Baltimore transit after vetoing the Red Line (I’m still mad and bitter about it).