Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E

david_a posted:

Yeah it has some lame “live action” interviews which look terrible and some other short animated sequences. I’m sure they’ve used AI for a while but it’s a lot easier to hide it with stills, especially if you have a human being touch it up and given the massive amounts of video filters they use.

Yeah they've started using deepfake footage for vintage doco interviews and minimally animated AI for old newsreel and silent film footage and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The comments on the youtube video seem to be 50% "This was your best one yet!!" and 50% "You should go to prison for using AI, unsubscribe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
>.< this is unfortunate

david_a posted:

Yeah it has some lame “live action” interviews which look terrible and some other short animated sequences. I’m sure they’ve used AI for a while but it’s a lot easier to hide it with stills, especially if you have a human being touch it up and given the massive amounts of video filters they use.

yeah missing persons had some weird AI finger poo poo from what i remember. shame they are doubling it down on it.

Snooze Cruise has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Jan 1, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't have any real issue with using AI for a project like this, but I think that it should be used sparingly to try and make as convincing a doc as possible. The more obvious the fakery, the worse off the entire project is. The earliest episodes succeeded because they really nailed that 70s vibe and were convincing enough if you weren't paying attention.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was bored and checked out the new episode of Expedition X where they visit a spooooky haunted forest in Romania (the part which used to be Transylvania) which is supposedly one of the most haunted regions in the entire country.

https://twitter.com/JessicaChobot/status/1754585183624241633

At the start they mention that the forest is only fairly small ..... but that means that the intense spookiness is all concentrated in one area, which means that it's the spookiest place they've ever visited!!!! I looked it up on google maps and not only is it a teensy tiny forest that you could walk all the way across in about half an hour, it's right next to a large town:

The built up areas go pretty much right up to the edge of the forest, in these street view photos you can see the forest in the background behind these large modern buildings:

The most haunted part of the forest is a small clearing called 'the rotunda' which they said was too far to reach by foot so they had to borrow a farmer's ATV to get there through some really rough forest paths. If you look on the map there's actually a road and some houses about 250m away, and if you zoom in on satellite view on google maps you can see someone parked their car about 100m from the rotunda.

The episode itself was poo poo. They keep freaking out because their equipment breaks down and they keep claiming to hear noises in the forest - at one point they hear bells which was probably someone's goats, at another point Jess hears someone call her name which was probably one of the production crew, at one point they see someone walking nearby which was probably just a local going for a stroll and wondering wtf these weirdos were doing in the forest.

It's the dumbest poo poo, really not recommended at all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was bored and checked out the new episode of Expedition X where they visit a spooooky haunted forest in Romania (the part which used to be Transylvania) which is supposedly one of the most haunted regions in the entire country.

But her reporting on the Normandy was so impeachable?!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
xposting this from ufo thread, i just scanned this old book on cattle mutilations because i got fed up not being able to find it online: https://archive.org/details/the-terror-michael-albers

From 1979, haven't gotten too far into it yet but I see old names like Gabe Valdez, Manuel Gomez, Howard Burgess, and Keith Wolverton, plus some white bigfoots that tear up cattle and dogs! There's a prison informant named Bankston who claimed a satanic cult was behind it all and managed to string the authorities along pretty far with the threat of human mutilations and assassination lists. Kagan and Summers covered him in Mute Evidence too a few years later. The book seems to be hitting every angle of ufos/cultists/the govt, and Albers takes "surgical precision" at face value as a descriptor which is where Kagan and Summers got more in depth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

But her reporting on the Normandy was so impeachable?!

This post was super confusing until I googled it, lol. I've never played Mass Effect

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

At the start they mention that the forest is only fairly small ..... but that means that the intense spookiness is all concentrated in one area, which means that it's the spookiest place they've ever visited!!!! I looked it up on google maps and not only is it a teensy tiny forest that you could walk all the way across in about half an hour, it's right next to a large town:

The built up areas go pretty much right up to the edge of the forest, in these street view photos you can see the forest in the background behind these large modern buildings:

The most haunted part of the forest is a small clearing called 'the rotunda' which they said was too far to reach by foot so they had to borrow a farmer's ATV to get there through some really rough forest paths. If you look on the map there's actually a road and some houses about 250m away, and if you zoom in on satellite view on google maps you can see someone parked their car about 100m from the rotunda.

The episode itself was poo poo. They keep freaking out because their equipment breaks down and they keep claiming to hear noises in the forest - at one point they hear bells which was probably someone's goats, at another point Jess hears someone call her name which was probably one of the production crew, at one point they see someone walking nearby which was probably just a local going for a stroll and wondering wtf these weirdos were doing in the forest.

There was one episode where they were exploring a haunted abandoned hospital or asylum or something, and devoted like 10 minutes to when they took a Polaroid of Jessica and there was a mysterious unexplainable human-shaped shadow behind her. After talking about how unexplainable the shadow was for all that time they went back to the room and recreated the photo and the exact same shadow turned up again, I forget what the cause was but it was something like the camera flash reflecting off something at a weird angle. They all acknowledged this was the cause, case closed.

Then they just carried on ghost hunting with absolutely no self-reflection on what just happened.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You know how pretty much every book and TV show about sasquatch claims that the indigenous American peoples have stories and legends about the creatures? Trey The Explainer actually went and researched a long long list of over 100 indigenous stories that bigfoot believers claim are actually about sasquatch and checked what they actually do say and what kind of beings they actually describe and you'll never guess what he found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJhJsdoTYQ

Spoiler: the huge majority of them describe beings which are nothing like the modern concept of bigfoot and ascribing them to bigfoot was a complete rear end pull. The tiny minority which do describe something which actually sounds similar to a bigfoot have often been misinterpreted or re-interpreted by (predominantly) white researchers without citation. A bunch of the stories that get included in alleged bigfoot legends anthologies have been edited down to remove details which don't fit the required narrative, and in some cases indigenous art which allegedly shows 'hairy men' is completely misattributed. It's all just a bunch of confirmation bias.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Feb 9, 2024

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

This post was super confusing until I googled it, lol. I've never played Mass Effect

Jessica Chobot. Haven’t heard that name in years….

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

You know how pretty much every book and TV show about sasquatch claims that the indigenous American peoples have stories and legends about the creatures? Trey The Explainer actually went and researched a long long list of over 100 indigenous stories that bigfoot believers claim are actually about sasquatch and checked what they actually do say and what kind of beings they actually describe and you'll never guess what he found

I'm not reading the spoiler until I watch the video, even though I know exactly what it's going to be. Which is the same thing that every Monstrum video concludes about things that have been taken from native cultures and made into movie monsters and spooky cryptids.

Excited to watch this after work, though.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
lmao loren coleman was posting about peter byrne recently so i looked up his obit for the man who only passed away last year, and coleman's still a total slimeball http://www.cryptozoonews.com/byrne-obit/

quote:

After years of telephone conversations and communiques, Byrne and I had a break in discussions after my books came out. Then I heard from Byrne on December 12, 2013, out of the blue, saying he wished to “put behind us some of the misunderstandings we reluctantly shared in recent years.” (I won’t go into our detailed history, but Byrne loaned some slides to me and asked me to be his agent with a television program. He ended up being given a fee for their use. The publishing of my book in 1989, on Tom Slick, turned out to have benefited Byrne greatly.)

coleman STOLE some slides from byrne's personal collection and sold them to a tv show, and then when byrne pinned him on it coleman cried some big fat tears about being misunderstood and finally sent him a check for some compensation: http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/byrne_on_coleman.htm

immediately after that bullshit spin with the random last sentence about his book "benefiting" byrne, coleman quotes some poo poo about byrne getting convicted for welfare fraud when he was fuckin 87:

quote:

In light of what was revealed in 2013 across the Internet and Facebook, we all have to make our own judgment about what this Peter Byrne news revealed but it is on the record, and needs to be mentioned clearly, so Byrne’s distractors will not make more it than there is.

These two following items were sourced from official Justice Department “for immediate release” documents. (quoted documents follow)

coleman poses as this cuddly grandpa for cryptozoology but he's a grifter sleazebag

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I brought it up before in one of these threads before finding that out, but I enjoyed seeing Coleman give a lecture, and totally bought into his persona. He really sold it in person, I was surprised to find out he's slimy.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
He wrote some interesting stuff back in the 70s with Jerome Clark about the goblin universe/high strangeness but later walked it all back and I guess decided to get that bag rather than actually tangle with the caves of the unknown.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Just scanned another classic paperback, Warren Smith's Strange Abominable Snowmen (1970). This one has tons of vintage Bigfoot/Yeti/ABSMs:

https://archive.org/details/strange-abominable-snowmen

Shares some overlap with Brad Steiger's Abominable Snowmen (not my scan):

https://archive.org/details/the-abominable-snowmen-eric-norman_202402

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The Yeti that drove a tractor

I'm listening...

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm listening...

In 1967, the redoubtable Dr. Jeanne Koffman told 2 group
of scientists that a farmer near the slopes of the Caucasus
had trained an ABSM to drive a tractor. The farmer had
found the beast near starvation, had fed and befriended it,
and had taught it to help with the farm work.

that's it, sorry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh well, that's still weird at least.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

that yellow text would make a hell of a gangtag

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

that yellow text would make a hell of a gangtag

Yes please

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

There's a really cool looking Loch Ness doc coming out in the UK, no idea when/if it'll be streaming

https://twitter.com/LochNess_TCAM/status/1720118452944289814

Someone uploaded it to Youtube a few weeks ago if anyone wanted to check it out. The aspect ratio is a little squashed but it's not too bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmsylsn0kLI
Edit: I finally finished watching it and they do a pretty meanspirited thing where they track down all the original 1970s monster hunters and interview them including Frank Searle (who was an absolutely central figure in the entire Loch Ness monster hunters story) and it's not until towards the end that they reveal that Frank actually disappeared and the person they'd been interviewing was just an actor ..... and then at the very very end just before the credits they do a "Where are they now" segment and admit that Frank died in 2005.

And here's another recent documentary called Legend's End: The Loch Ness Monster Story, which follows a New Zealand professor who is a leading expert in environmental DNA sequencing who took water samples from all around the loch and sequenced them to see what species are living in and around the loch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9imBpseEc
Since there haven't been any front page stories about science proving that Nessie is real then you can guess how it ends. ;)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Feb 11, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Someone uploaded it to Youtube a few weeks ago if anyone wanted to check it out. The aspect ratio is a little squashed but it's not too bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmsylsn0kLI
Edit: I finally finished watching it and they do a pretty meanspirited thing where they track down all the original 1970s monster hunters and interview them including Frank Searle (who was an absolutely central figure in the entire Loch Ness monster hunters story) and it's not until towards the end that they reveal that Frank actually disappeared and the person they'd been interviewing was just an actor ..... and then at the very very end just before the credits they do a "Where are they now" segment and admit that Frank died in 2005.

lmao wut @ that spoiler, why not just work it into the film normally?

Adding to the pile, here's this morning's scan of The Secret Origins of Bigfoot by Warren Smith: https://archive.org/details/the-secret-origins-of-bigfoot/mode/2up

edit: love Zebra Books' copy editing prowess

Dr. Jerrold Coe has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Feb 11, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is this the thread where we talk about The Phoenix Lights incident? I just learned about this and that apparently Kurt Russell was the one to report it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Is this the thread where we talk about The Phoenix Lights incident? I just learned about this and that apparently Kurt Russell was the one to report it.

Lol, I didn't remember that. But sure enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR_dxZJGWfU

Also preceded by an ad for unlocking the secret powers of my pineal gland :tinfoil:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also preceded by an ad for unlocking the secret powers of my pineal gland :tinfoil:

Hey, I've seen that movie. You should totally do that, seems fun!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

Hey, I've seen that movie. You should totally do that, seems fun!

I think it was called FUN Beyond?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I think it was called FUN Beyond?

Yep, done by the same director as Re-funimator!

That's another good thing to always try, injecting glowing neon green liquids!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

Yep, done by the same director as Re-funimator!

That's another good thing to always try, injecting glowing neon green liquids!

Sounds like a Dagon good time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Introducing Jesse Eisenberg as The Sasquatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfkthLpeXw
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30180830/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Why does Hollywood always hire human actors rather than hiring any of the plenty talented Sasquatch actors constantly getting looked over. Don't get me started on how insultingly stereotyped Sasquatchs are always portrayed.

#NoMoreSasquatchFace

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And half the actors people think are Sasquatch are actually Australian Yowies putting on an American accent.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spoilers for the movie: it contains no human dialogue, only sasquatch grunts and shrieks. Also there's a LOT of defecation and pissing and loving and squirting breast milk etc etc, and when it premiered at Sundance recently it had the highest number of walkouts of the entire festival
It sounds awesome :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spoiler: the huge majority of them describe beings which are nothing like the modern concept of bigfoot and ascribing them to bigfoot was a complete rear end pull. The tiny minority which do describe something which actually sounds similar to a bigfoot have often been misinterpreted or re-interpreted by (predominantly) white researchers without citation. A bunch of the stories that get included in alleged bigfoot legends anthologies have been edited down to remove details which don't fit the required narrative, and in some cases indigenous art which allegedly shows 'hairy men' is completely misattributed. It's all just a bunch of confirmation bias.

I watched this yesterday and yea, its really good. I knew about this from the Book Abominable Science, which is mentioned in the video, but Trey goes into much more detail about the subject.

It's amazing how so many stories that are very clearly about different entities are just dumped into the big pot marked bigfoot without any more of a critical eye. My favorite is the "Snake with big feet means bigfoot" when the story is clearly about accepting being different. Its not unlike how people tend to go "A lot of ancient civilizations have a flood myth, therefor the bible is real" when floods are pretty universal to everywhere on earth where there is water, so having them be a common disaster in mythology doesn't seem too far fetched. Not to mention if one civilization has a myth, anyone they have contact with could adapt or assimilate it into their own mythology.

I also like how Bigfoot believers try to frame it around how Big Science is refusing to listen to the native peoples myths when they're the ones doing exactly that.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Feb 15, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As an endcap to the Nessie documentaries, here's the 2005 doco where the guy interviews everyone at the Loch about Frank Searle and then actually manages to track down where he's been living since he left in 1984, only to discover that he'd died only a few weeks earlier. It's only 48 minute long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTz6qgki1lk

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

twistedmentat posted:

I also like how Bigfoot believers try to frame it around how Big Science is refusing to listen to the native peoples myths when they're the ones doing exactly that.

Dead racist Australian Rex Gilroy did this all the time with Aboriginal culture, claiming they had white culture heroes who must have been ancient Europeans who came to Australia before them, and haha y'know I guess that means all this racist business isn't really a problem, since really we were here first, right? He also had choice words for Aboriginals wanting their ancestors' remains properly interred and not on display or in a box on a shelf, so he kind of tipped his hand there.

As an endcap to the Nessie documentaries, here's the 2005 doco where the guy interviews everyone at the Loch about Frank Searle and then actually manages to track down where he's been living since he left in 1984, only to discover that he'd died only a few weeks earlier. It's only 48 minute long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTz6qgki1lk

Very cool, thanks to a real thread MVP!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a youtube video about dinosaur cryptids (mostly Mokele-mbembe) which have appeared in films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62daivlrxLU

He does a pretty good takedown on the 'validity' of cryptozoology and why it's considered a pseudoscience about 5 min in

He does a run down of quite a few of the many many films about Nessie but skips a few of them such as the 1985 German film Nessie, das verrückteste Monster der Welt because he couldn't find a subtitled version.

There's a copy on Youtube but the auto-generated subtitles are loving awful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZqwwp8ElA

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Mar 6, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

There's a lot going on in this image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Dogessie