Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Rags to Liches posted:

took six AA batteries, lasted six hours

More like 1 hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

Could you disable the backlight and still see the screen? If so, did that make your Game Gear portable again?

I’m pretty sure the GG screen is one of those early color LCDs that’s basically impossible to use without a backlight unfortunately. So yeah you’d have better battery life but it’d be pretty much unusable.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

DMorbid posted:

I could've sworn I posted my Sega Nomad here recently, but looks like I actually didn't. So, here's the Game Gear's even more cumbersome big brother!

Demonstrated with the very finest software, of course. Now, this brick doesn't actually have a built-in battery compartment and instead uses a separate battery pack that attaches to the unit (there was one that took six AA batteries and another that was just a rechargeable battery pack) so you can enjoy two or three hours of Bubsy on the go... provided you handle it carefully, because it's pretty easy to knock the battery pack loose or cause the game to crash by moving the unit around too much.

I don't have either of those battery packs or any of the newer aftermarket ones because I have no intention of ever taking this beast anywhere, so I just plug in the AC adapter whenever I feel like using it.

I wanted a Sega Nomad so bad when I was a kid but as far as I know it never released outside of the US. Had no idea about the separate battery compartment back then though, that would've made it a bit lamer, still would've wanted one though.

I wanted one of these too, this one released in Europe though but I never got one no matter how much I begged my parents for one because I already had a Sega:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kamrat posted:

I wanted a Sega Nomad so bad when I was a kid but as far as I know it never released outside of the US.
Yeah, I'm in Europe as well and this thing was never sold over here, but I did see it in magazines and thought it was cool as gently caress. I bought this one and a couple dozen games on Ebay about a decade ago and it is indeed cool as gently caress despite its obvious flaws and general awkwardness.

I do have to use a step-down transformer for the power adapter, which isn't a huge deal because I have a couple of those for my other NTSC systems. I think it's just a regular Genesis model 2 adapter and I could probably get a modern third-party power brick that supports both EU and US standards, but I just haven't gotten around to it because the Nomad is more of a display piece than anything.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jan 31, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

DMorbid posted:

I could've sworn I posted my Sega Nomad here recently, but looks like I actually didn't. So, here's the Game Gear's even more cumbersome big brother!

Demonstrated with the very finest software, of course. Now, this brick doesn't actually have a built-in battery compartment and instead uses a separate battery pack that attaches to the unit (there was one that took six AA batteries and another that was just a rechargeable battery pack) so you can enjoy two or three hours of Bubsy on the go... provided you handle it carefully, because it's pretty easy to knock the battery pack loose or cause the game to crash by moving the unit around too much.

I don't have either of those battery packs or any of the newer aftermarket ones because I have no intention of ever taking this beast anywhere, so I just plug in the AC adapter whenever I feel like using it.

Oh wow, I've never seen one of these. Haha I immediately hate the screen. The sleek offset border around it would cause me constantly feel like I need to correct the orientation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PaintingsLondon/status/1752744367029199107?s=20

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

DMorbid posted:

but I just haven't gotten around to it because the Nomad is more of a display piece than anything.

Yeah, there's no real use for it nowadays since you can emulate a Mega Drive on almost anything if you really wanted a portable mega drive. it's still cool though

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Back when flash photography was all explodey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm-2giH_zw

I had an Instamatic X15F. I found one on ebay a few years ago. I bought it just as a doo-dad to put on a shelf, but came across a roll of 126 film (about 45 years old). I'm going to shoot it and send it off. I'm pretty sure nothing will come of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My brother and I each had an Instamatic and carried them with us when we'd travel. Went through so much film, and so many flashcubes.

Here's one of my mother and brother sleeping on the train outside of Paris. 1976.

She died last month. But now I see her as all of her ages.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's a great shot. Sorry about your mom.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Phanatic posted:

That's a great shot. Sorry about your mom.

Seconded, and what an awesome way to experience/honor her memory.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Also such a very 1970s picture.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Great photo

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Sorry about your Mom's pants

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

dobbymoodge posted:

gently caress you those are incredible.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dobbymoodge posted:

:mods:

Sorry for your loss, and man that picture is awesome!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Dick Trauma has become unstuck in time

But seriously, sorry about your mom, that is a rad picture

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A look at :filez: 70s style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJrYTySIV2o

$50 then is about $225 now.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Feb 4, 2024

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJrYTySIV2o

$50 then is about $225 now.

The guy they interview from televideo gives me the creeps. If anyone is curious it looks like he served 4 years in prison and was ordered to pay ~5 million in fines.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother and I each had an Instamatic and carried them with us when we'd travel. Went through so much film, and so many flashcubes.

Here's one of my mother and brother sleeping on the train outside of Paris. 1976.

That's lovely. She had flair.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Groke posted:

Also such a very 1970s picture.

revive the Dad Pics Thread in the Dorkroom, cowards

Mister Kingdom posted:

I remember my dad duping the Transformers movie on BetaMax when I was 7 or 8 so that I'd quit renting it so much. He told me in hushed tones that it was illegal, so we had to be very very quiet while it dubbed. It took me way too long to realize he just wanted me to shut up for a couple of hours.

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Feb 5, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

"openttd changelog posted:

14.0-beta1 (2023-02-03)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove: Officially mark Vista as no longer supported (#11531)
Remove: OS/2 and SunOS ports (#11018, #11210)

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

OpenTTD is one of the great software projects of our age. Up there with Dwarf Fortress for how much dedication it inspires.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2EgfkhC1eo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Big Mac posted:

OpenTTD is one of the great software projects of our age. Up there with Dwarf Fortress for how much dedication it inspires.

Truth.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1755771587427512540?s=20

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I call no way, that fits way too well to be real.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

That laptop is from 1994. Pic is mislabeled.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dick Trauma posted:

Not only a great story, but that's on helluva picture.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

correct, kojima is obsolete

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I still have a Toshiba Kojima model in my garage.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I stopped at a garage sale today of a guy who owns a self storage place and cleans out unpaid units and puts all the junk into one unit and tries to sell it.

Most of it is straight up junk and he asks crazy prices but in the past I have scored some good deals like my pioneer RT-707 reel to reel that I paid 20 bucks for because it looked like complete junk and was covered in rust but somehow I magically got it working and was able to repaint the case after sanding the rust off. Only cost me 10 bucks for a new counter belt 30 for the wooden rail covers to match the rest of my Hi-Fi and 50 for the OEM metal take up reel that it was missing.

There is a whole room of old records, cassette and VHS tapes, PC software, videogames, DVDs etc..

The past few times I've been there I saw an old reduculously overbuilt PC racing wheel at pedal set. Wheel weighs at least 20 pounds and has some sort of heavy springs in it to give resistance for fake force feedback feeling. Wheel has a standard game port connection that daisy chains into the pedal set and then outputs to another game port connector. No brand name, just an E logo in the center of the wheel and a impact wheel label maker sticker with a serial number on the bottom so I'm guessing the unit was handmade.

I've asked the guy about it a few times and he's always asked for a hundred bucks for it. Today I figured I'd ask again and he said he has had a bunch of people look at that thing and no one knows what it is so make him an offer so I said five bucks and he took it.

Did a whole bunch of googling and apparently it's an ECCI CDS wheel which retailed for around $500 in 1995 ($1020 in 2024 dollars). I was able to find references to it on the history frame of the ECCI website on internet archive from 1999.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991004212235/http://ecci.net/ecci_01.htm

I checked with my few retro gamer friends that I figured would want it and one only wants arcade and console stuff and the other said they don't do PC racing games only old PC RTS games.

I don't know if this thing has any value but it's overbuilt to the point of being hilarious. I may see if somebody like lazy game reviews that gets a kick out of ancient overpriced peripherals would like to have it to do a review on.

my turn in the barrel has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Feb 11, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Before force feedback wheels got good, people who were super serious about sim racing were crazy about those ECCI wheels. There was that and the thomas super wheel or something. The ECCIs were just fancy damped wheels or something since there was no force feedback. The thomas super wheel or whatever it was called was literally a shaft connected to a potentiometer with two springs attached to recenter it. Several years ago when Fanatec was starting to make serious belt drive wheels that had good force feedback, there was a guy on the iracing forums who would go into any fanatec or logitech thread and bash the wheels as "toy wheels" compared to his metal box with two springs attached to a metal rod. It was really weird that the guy was so upset about force feedback.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

i see old golf clubs still remain a universal constant at garage sales.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oooooh, an RT-707! Those things are excellent machines.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Loan it to one of the good youtubers so they can do a piece on it, then when you get it back you can decide if it's worth keeping or selling to the bigger market

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Dawid Does Tech Stuff has recently done simracing things and could be into this.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I think LGR and a bunch of those people come to that Midwest computer expo thing that is less than an hour away from me if someone knows one of them and wants to get in touch with them I'd be happy to loan it to somebody but I don't want to ship it because I'm sure it would be expensive due to how much it weighs.

Edit: I shot LGR on email we'll see if he's interested.

my turn in the barrel has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Feb 14, 2024

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LGR might be perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DMorbid posted:

I own one of these!

(pictured next to my Japanese PSP-3000, which I really should've cleaned beforehand)

The properly backlit AGS-101 model of the GBA SP got an extremely limited release in Europe in 2005 (slightly less limited in North America), so when I learned of its existence some years later and went hunting for one, the least overpriced one I could find was this tribal tattoo monstrosity. Of course, the original frontlit AGS-001 SP was also available in this... style... so not all of these have the brighter AGS-101 screen.

I had a modded GBA with the afterburner front light I got for Christmas. Thing was heavy and ate batteries real fast but it felt more special than an SP and I liked the ergonomics better.