Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish Daijisho had wider icons for games when it is in grid mode, rather than tall icons.

Arcade roms I'm using title screenshots, and it cuts the bulk of them off on the sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MarcusSA posted:

I like OLED screens so let’s see how this new machine is in a month lol

Just one more machine dude, all I need is one more...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's a weird thing. If I turn my RP4P off and plug it in, the unit seems to think the battery is dead and won't charge or turn back on. It works fine once I unplug it, and the battery level is right where it should be. It'll charge fine when plugged in while on.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I wish Daijisho had wider icons for games when it is in grid mode, rather than tall icons.

Arcade roms I'm using title screenshots, and it cuts the bulk of them off on the sides

If I’m understanding right, you can change the box art and screenshot aspect ratios on a system by system basis, so it might just be that the default doesn’t match how you’re using it. Hit the pencil at the bottom right, then scroll down near the bottom.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Froist posted:

If I’m understanding right, you can change the box art and screenshot aspect ratios on a system by system basis, so it might just be that the default doesn’t match how you’re using it. Hit the pencil at the bottom right, then scroll down near the bottom.

Oh hell yeah, that's what I was after.

Cheers mate!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do you guys know any other front end that support Yuzu besides Daijisho?

I was using reset collection fine but it just stop working for both of my devices. My problem with Daijisho is that its designes to use more bottons to navigate the UI. Unless I am mistaken I have to use both D pad and LB RB to navigate. I wish its simpler so I can just hand it off to my kid. Its also got small things like inconsistent font and size that reminds me all the bad ergonomic of Kodi.

If there is no other frontend that supports Yuzu I might just go back to basic b android launcher.

I'm using Beacon and it's working pretty well. I just pointed it to my Switch directory and it scraped all the box art and everything, then every game just boots right up from the launcher instead of having to launch Yuzu and then pick the game.

The scraper is more accurate than Daijisho's, too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hmm, I don't really have the spare cash, but...

What's the state of PS2 emulation on machines like this? Is it still "[Game X] might work or it might not, but you'll probably have to spend a lot of time fiddling with settings to find out either way"?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that's still the state of PlayStation 2 emulation in general IME.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
On PC these days it's pretty good, not much tweaking needed unless you're one of the weirdos who constantly pop up on the git issue tracker wondering why they have bad performance on their 2006 Xeon system and keep telling the devs to just "code better" (seriously why is it always Xeon)

Android is a different situation due to people chasing off the only person working on it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

kirbysuperstar posted:

On PC these days it's pretty good, not much tweaking needed unless you're one of the weirdos who constantly pop up on the git issue tracker wondering why they have bad performance on their 2006 Xeon system and keep telling the devs to just "code better" (seriously why is it always Xeon)

Android is a different situation due to people chasing off the only person working on it

I was told the PS2 port developer is the same PC developer, he just use different names. Again, compared to Damon PS2 from 2 years ago, I am not complaining.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well there's a lot of people who work on pcsx2 proper but I can't say the aether fellow felt like it was secretly refraction or one of the other main people

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah pcsx2 works fine on my windows handheld and part of my batocera build

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Looking to jump into the mobile retro console space - is this a good cheap starting point for N64 and back?

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1754953192713146741

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I wish every one of these more powerful handhelds didn't have android. I'd much prefer a linux base. Surely they have to be powerful enough to run batocera at this point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Substandard posted:

I wish every one of these more powerful handhelds didn't have android. I'd much prefer a linux base. Surely they have to be powerful enough to run batocera at this point.
A lot of the companies making socs for smartphones, which is what this type of devices is using, just have no interest in supporting linux and don't have linux drivers.

The less powerful ones may actually be more likely to support linux because they're being sold for applications other than smartphones.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the vendors of the more powerful SOCs usually only provide android drivers, so it's out of the hands of the device manufacturers

rockchip are the main exception, the RK3588S is fairly powerful and can run android or linux, but it has yet to appear in any handhelds

e;fb

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is a new 3588 handheld, Gameforce Ace? It's shipping.

If the soc is catered toward setup boxes, its more likely to have linux support. But a setup box soc is likely to be fabbed on older technology and be less power efficient.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RK3588 is fabbed on 8nm, you could certainly do worse

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Webbeh posted:

Looking to jump into the mobile retro console space - is this a good cheap starting point for N64 and back?

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1754953192713146741

About half of N64 is playable from the review by the tweet author, earlier systems should be good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good N64 compatibility:

Vertical: that chunky anbernic, the RG405v

Horizontal 16:9: the Retroid Pocket 3+ or even the 4/pro if you wanna upscale and get way more than N64 coverage.

Horizontal 4:3 : the Retroid Pocket 2S. I have one and I really love it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I installed a 1000 game pack of PICO8 games to my Miyoo Mini+ and I've never been more happy with my decisions.

There are so many lil games to try, each one more whimsical than the last one.

Kick Wizards is my current jam.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Webbeh posted:

N64 runs mostly fine with frameskip, Dreamcast runs a lot better on it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I really didn't need an R36S, but at that price, welp...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've been looking for a decent hand held for a friend that only really wants MegaMan on the go. His bday is coming up. $40 R36S + SD Card is perfect. Thanks for bringing it up Webbeh!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

repiv posted:

are there any linux based handhelds which implement c-to-c charging properly, most of them still seem to get it wrong even though it only takes a few resistors to negotiate 5v

I discovered this little quirk about my RG405m yesterday. It just doesn’t like C-to-C charging, and that poo poo is android based. :psyduck:

I thought my battery shat the bed after 3 months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sometimes it depends on the cable, some badly designed devices will C-to-C charge through a dumb (3A) cable but not through an e-marked (5A) cable

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i didn't have time to watch the whole video but the summary makes the RG556 look pretty compelling. the RP2S (that I returned) made me realize i need to prioritize screen size, so that's a major plus for me. that said, for whatever reason footage of the screen didn't look great to me despite being an OLED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwevWHCvYHc

i'll be interested in direct performance comparisons to the RP4/P.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched the whole video

RGC RG556 preview: great screen, great ergonomic, chip could be faster. Also I love that Gucci bag.

Is it me or all large anbernic devices are underpowered?

---

Something else that doesn't warrant a new post: another day another new Ayaneo kickstarter device. This time a Odin 2 direct competitor with a snapdragon chip slightly faster than Odin 2. But IMO they hosed up the design, should have keep the the design of the Ayaneo Air and just make the sticks bigger and use a different color scheme

https://x.com/theetaprime/status/1755234768357138610?s=20
Also someone point out the layout is not asymmetric, left sticks is not aligned with the D pad but the right stick is aligned with the buttons. Now I can't loving unseen it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Something else that doesn't warrant a new post: another day another new Ayaneo kickstarter device. This time a Odin 2 direct competitor with a snapdragon chip slightly faster than Odin 2. But IMO they hosed up the design, should have keep the the design of the Ayaneo Air and just make the sticks bigger and use a different color scheme

does it come with a grip, cause why would you kneecap the ergonomics like that?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

People seem to really hate the Retroid 4's screen, even compared to the RP3's - There's a lot of ghosting. Apparently Retroid is working on an update with vsync, which will supposedly help.

I think I personally prefer the size of the RP4 over the RG556, but admittedly would love an OLED screen with the same form factor. The Switch 2's rumored screen size seems way too big for my preference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also someone point out the layout is not asymmetric, left sticks is not aligned with the D pad but the right stick is aligned with the buttons. Now I can't loving unseen it.

I said it when it was first announced but this looks uncomfortable AF.

It’s also not an OLED screen :sad:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

I said it when it was first announced but this looks uncomfortable AF.

It’s also not an OLED screen :sad:

Jeez even Marcus is not getting it.

My eyes just can't tell Oled. I just checked to find out my last 3 phones all have oled. My eyes can tell refresh rate below 90 hz, has low contract or have poo poo 300 nits brightness. But I just can't tell how much is oled better than other high quality LCD screens.

Rinkles posted:

does it come with a grip, cause why would you kneecap the ergonomics like that?

It comes with a whole jacket to help you hold on to the iphone shaped thing.

Without it it's probably the most uncomfortable "hand held".

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like its the same as the switch lite which is fine to hold

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thing for me about OLED is I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad OLED but I’ve seen plenty of bad LCDs or ones with issues (refresh and stuff).

hatty posted:

Seems like its the same as the switch lite which is fine to hold

Whoa

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Why is it so glossy on the front? That's gonna get smudged up constantly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Why is it so glossy on the front? That's gonna get smudged up constantly.

It’s premium!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a bad OLED on a Dell laptop that had horrible response times and ghosting, but that was early on for the tech and screens got better quickly

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Small Strange Bird posted:

I really didn't need an R36S, but at that price, welp...

Same, ordered it as a low effort gift for a friend to get him hooked on the habit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Corb3t posted:

People seem to really hate the Retroid 4's screen, even compared to the RP3's - There's a lot of ghosting. Apparently Retroid is working on an update with vsync, which will supposedly help.

You know I can't say I've noticed it myself, I played some fzero X the other day and it seemed fine

Might be a me thing though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

So I typically buy micro SD cards in like a 5 pack for $25 or so (64 gb).
Has anyone seen a better deal for smaller cards? I figure I only really need like 16 or 32 gb for all the gameboy, gba, DS games, etc for a few different devices. I don't think I'd ever fill a 64 in those cases. I'd buy a them in a 10 pack if I could get them for $2 each, you know?