Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

What can change the nature of a trash panda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Every single time Aventurine stresses "my friend" with his nasally voice I wanna dunk him in a toilet

I might roll for him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I got Black Swan, next up is Acheron. Sparkle looks incredibly powerful, but she's named Sparkle so an easy skip. I have plenty of sustain chars and I don't like Aventurine's character enough to need to pull for him, regardless of what his kit does. Robin has lesbian pride eye stickers, so she's a must pull whenever she's inevitably available, Sunday is a maybe because he's extremely Kaworu coded despite not being voiced by Ishida Akira, and Sam is the most up in the air in terms of characters I like but I am unsure if I'll pull for him; three rich fire women is just so well rounded as a team.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

Sparkle looks incredibly powerful, but she's named Sparkle so an easy skip.
Why so serious?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Her name is still Hanabi in my heart

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just play japanese if you want to hear hanabi

Literally. She speaks in third person. And 10x more smug.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

no the issue is, her personality

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Endorph posted:

the red text actually differs randomly from player-to-player it seems like, like theres a few different variations of every line in red.

:tinfoil:

Black Swan's questline did a lot to make me like Sparkle but I'm still not gonna pull her.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

one thing is that once things get started, its quite a gauntlet. Really no cooldown at all till its done. Can be a bit tiring just having endless wall puzzles thrown at you nonstop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like Sparkle roleplaying robot police officers better than her actual self.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sparkle besmirched the name of my good friend Sampo and for that she must be kept from my account.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just wait for 5* Sampo with his mask back.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Clarste posted:

Just wait for 5* Sampo with his mask back.

He's one of my two e6s. The other is Serval. I didn't want to roll on Black Swan but I realised not doing so is dumb (and I hope to get Guin up as well so I have all 3 options).

I like BS more than Kafka as a dot gameplay system.

Edit: I wish Argenti was more generally useable. He's easily my favourite character so far.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The three most important characters in 2.0: Hanabi, Yomi and Hotaru.

I mean, they're all transparently pseudonyms, so I can see the logic in translating them. Same as Blade and Silver Wolf. There are times when a character's Japanese codename is based on the English version rather than the Chinese one, too (Argenti, Dr. Ratio, Black Swan). If anything, it seems to be the English version that's ""canon"", because they almost always show it alongside the character's local name in preview streams, even if they're Space Chinese, and even in especially dubious cases like "Imbibitor Lunae".

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 9, 2024

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sparkle besmirched the name of my good friend Sampo and for that she must be kept from my account.

she gave my boy aventurine a 2-piece racism/slut-shaming combo and i’ll never forgive her :colbert:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

MNSNTZR posted:

she gave my boy aventurine a 2-piece racism/slut-shaming combo and i’ll never forgive her :colbert:

Aventurine works for the Space IMF and therefore has no moral high ground whatsoever :colbert:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I wanted to spend a few tickets on the next banner to get Sampo, Qingque, and Hanya eidolons. Such a good set of 4* characters. I figured I'd just throw a few 10-pulls in and if I got Sparkle early, she'd be useful for Qingque. But after doing the story I dislike Sparkle. She and her joker catchphrase is just annoying. I can't roll on her banner, because I'd be mad if I got her.

I could throw some at Jing Yuan, but I already have Kafka and an e6 Serval built. I wouldn't mind having him but he'd be very low priority.

I only even have Sampo because I spent starlight on him twice, and picked him for the newest 4* selector. I guess given enough time he'll cycle through the starlight shop to get me his e3 and e4 if the game won't let me pull him...

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Traveller posted:

Aventurine works for the Space IMF and therefore has no moral high ground whatsoever :colbert:

look, gun to my head, if i had to choose between a capitalist and a racist and it doesn’t intersect for once…

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don’t mind Sparkle’s character archetype in general but I don’t think they’ve pulled it off from what we’ve seen so far. Between that and already rolling for BS + her LC yesterday (good lord it’s strong on her!!!) I think I’m passing on Sparkle and waiting to see what Aventurine or Sam look like, or if any of the best sustains come back in 2.1.

A shame since from all appearances she seems like she’ll be quite good but I feel like of all the character archetypes in this game, Yet Another Strong Buffer is probably the one I need the least at the moment.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Traveller posted:

Agreed, it's pretty typical for a filthy sigonian to want to get their money grubbing hands on a cushy IPC job.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If y'all aren't pulling for Sparkle then that's more of her for me. :kimchi:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Please take her away.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Sparkle is a terrible person but in a fun way except that she's made why so serious her catchphrase. thus she must perish

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MNSNTZR posted:

look, gun to my head, if i had to choose between a capitalist and a racist and it doesn’t intersect for once…

She’s also racist to Sunday and in her leaked voice lines for her she talks about how she finds political correctness and society dictating what you can and can’t find funny or acceptable is a bigger joke than anything she does.

So yeah, she’s not a very pleasant person.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wouldn't mind her saying why so serious, like, once or twice, and I wouldn't mind her having a catchphrase either, but they really shouldn't have made it her catchphrase.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

If y'all aren't pulling for Sparkle then that's more of her for me. :kimchi:

i dont know anything batman but shes how i assume harley quinn is like

so nah no thanks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i love catchphrases.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Disdain only makes her stronger. This is the power of a divinely-ordained troll.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She would be so so good on a quantum team, but I think I'm gonna skip and go for Acheron, who will not be good on any team afaik.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Acheron kind of needs to have the best numbers they've ever made, just like her alone being as good as a buffed Daniel, because holy poo poo is she giving up a lot with her gimmick. I mean she could be great, her ult is one of the most freakishly stacked they've ever had, but she needs great numbers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

She would be so so good on a quantum team, but I think I'm gonna skip and go for Acheron, who will not be good on any team afaik.

Acheron does more damage if there’s one other Nihility unit on the team, according to her leaked kit. So her best team would probably involve Silver Wolf or maybe Pela, Bronya or Sparkle to boost her crit damage and then a sustain of your choice I’d imagine?

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Selenephos posted:

She’s also racist to Sunday and in her leaked voice lines for her she talks about how she finds political correctness and society dictating what you can and can’t find funny or acceptable is a bigger joke than anything she does.

devs zoning in on the racist blade meme a little too hard i see

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

trying to build up a set for Silver Wolf on the new debuff set.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Selenephos posted:

lol get this girl a Netflix comedy special, stat

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

sparkle winning the award for the worst playable character

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Meowywitch posted:

sparkle winning the award for the worst playable character

No thats still Topaz. Trying to enslave an entire planet into debt peonage for generations is pretty lovely!

(I don't know anything about Sparkles, I still haven't finished the main story and I'm not clicking on the spoilers so forgive me if something worse does comes up)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPOwl2paYg

But what if the player character goes after that title instead? Spoilers, if you know, you know.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

No thats still Topaz. Trying to enslave an entire planet into debt peonage for generations is pretty lovely!

(I don't know anything about Sparkles, I still haven't finished the main story and I'm not clicking on the spoilers so forgive me if something worse does comes up)

I'd put more blame on the IPC in general there than Topaz. She's trying to get a one city planet she assumes is going extinct a "really good deal" on being enslaved in debt peonage for entire generations, and even changes her mind upon learning that they're not going extinct.

Still lovely, but I guess she gets some points for attempted harm reduction and your average IPC debt collector would have done worse?

Also Kafka apparently got a whole planet killed off screen and there's the thing with her bringing a Stellaron to the Space Station that I believe is at least the size of Belobog? And then Ruan Mei risking destroying the station with an experiment. Jingliu and Luocha brought the Stellaron to the Luofu right? Plus Blade's entire identity is the result of Jingliu torturing him and Kafka using mind control as therapy?

Kafka is probably the worst.

Until Luocha gets more lore.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Captain France posted:

Still lovely, but I guess she gets some points for attempted harm reduction and your average IPC debt collector would have done worse?

Topaz is a liberal.

Now I'm afraid for Sparkle's in-game utility, awful sense of humor might not be warcrimey enough :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Traveller posted:

Topaz is a liberal.

Now I'm afraid for Sparkle's in-game utility, awful sense of humor might not be warcrimey enough :ohdear:

Topaz is absolutely a neoliberal who has internalized harm reduction as the highest virtue one can ever aspire to, that fact lets her sleep easy on her bed of gold and plushies every night for four and a half hours, lol

Aventurine is the greedy ambitious cynic who knows what a corrupt joke the system is, and is just fine with that because he wants his cut of the pie, big as he can get it, no mind to the price everyone else has to pay for it