Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If I have a knife that's sharp enough to possibly nick me when I grab them in the utensil rack, those are hand-washed as those are quality knives.

While my dishwasher is old I like that the utensil basket is removable so I just pull the whole thing out & bring it over to the flatware drawer.

My only gripe with my dishwasher is that it struggles to dry plastics. I end up having to put my plastic containers in the oven on proof setting for 15-30 minutes before putting them away.

Also :rubby: on Tucker getting completely dunked on by Putin by rightly calling out that he's not a real journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A lot of you outing yourselves as non Bosch having peasants. Shameful. Top shelf utensil drawer is a must have.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone know if those battery-powered heated vests are worthwhile? I'm thinking of getting one for my skiing trip next weekend. I'd be wearing it over my jacket so I'd go one size up, would I get too hot?

Got my wife one for Christmas and she absolutely loves it. She'll even wear it around the house when it's especially cold outside.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone know if those battery-powered heated vests are worthwhile? I'm thinking of getting one for my skiing trip next weekend. I'd be wearing it over my jacket so I'd go one size up, would I get too hot?

These things have come a LONG way since the fire hazard first ones.

Absolutely get it. Hell get the gloves ones too

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

wandler20 posted:

Why would you wear it over your jacket tho? I go under to keep the warmth in.

Only because the L isn't available, so I'd have to go with XL

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1755757290953515479

:lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I know it's a mockup to show where the heating elements are located, but all I can see is that one picture of the Star Wars EU character with all of the lightsabers coming out of his armor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We have a dishwasher but don't use it often. Its old and the coating on the racks is coming off. We will get a new one eventually, but it's pretty low on the list of things to do around the house. In my apartment in Miami we had a half dishwasher which was great. For just two people I could load it up with the days dishes and run it at night.

Also this is the only watch I will ever invest in

https://twitter.com/AlsikkanTV/status/1755629958179791235?t=Yh65uGVAownl2O0_eG7ogQ&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Only because the L isn't available, so I'd have to go with XL

Yo if you can't find it in your size there are SO MANY places to buy ski gear at cheap prices. Get your size

https://www.steepandcheap.com/
https://www.the-house.com/
https://www.backcountry.com/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

swickles posted:

We have a dishwasher but don't use it often. Its old and the coating on the racks is coming off. We will get a new one eventually, but it's pretty low on the list of things to do around the house. In my apartment in Miami we had a half dishwasher which was great. For just two people I could load it up with the days dishes and run it at night.

Also this is the only watch I will ever invest in

https://twitter.com/AlsikkanTV/status/1755629958179791235?t=Yh65uGVAownl2O0_eG7ogQ&s=19

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The other day my teenage daughter put my nonstick pans and my good knives in the dishwasher and I had to breathe through the anger because I know she didn't know not to do that.

I am serious about my knives and cookware.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aren't teflon pans generally machine washable? I don't because they're easy to hand clean and I'd rather stick a larger number of smaller dishes in the dishwasher instead but I thought they were dishwasher safe

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

I don’t have a dishwasher AMA

How do you wash dishes?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Intruder posted:

Aren't teflon pans generally machine washable? I don't because they're easy to hand clean and I'd rather stick a larger number of smaller dishes in the dishwasher instead but I thought they were dishwasher safe

No, they're not. The high heat is bad for them and I have found that the pans don't last as long if you machine wash them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
High heat breaks down the non stick. Every one of my newer pans says clear as day NOT to machine wash so I think Braks controlled anger was justified

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

No, they're not. The high heat is bad for them and I have found that the pans don't last as long if you machine wash them.

Seconding that. I burned through a decent set of Calphalon cookware doing that. I handwash the hard anodized set I replaced it with using a scrubbing dish rag and Dawn, and that works a lot better. The pans themselves are alright, we mostly just use the pots, and for the pans we've reverted back to cast iron.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

nah, a lot of pans will say they are but it is definitely bad for them in the long run. same thing with running nice knives through.

i have thoughts and opinions about loading and my wife and I are generally aligned on how to do so. neither of us is really bothered enough by the others approach to take over doing it.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 9, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fair enough. Glad I've handwashed my pots and pans all these years

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I moved to carbon steel from nonstick and I’m never looking back. The nonstick starts to wear off even if you baby it, while I straight-up burnt the seasoning off of one CS pan and was able to strip it and get it right back into action with barely any fuss at all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While we're on the subject why the gently caress do Circulon baking sheets have a rolled lip that traps water and starts rusting, who designed this poo poo :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't wait to be done with Teflon pans, if we don't have to smoke our tax return on home maintenance I'd love to get a carbon steel wok and maybe a larger ceramic pan or whatever for eggs. Dropped a ton of hints to my family over Christmas about wanting a wok and none of them bit on it, bah humbug.

Been cooking primarily on stainless for the past year or two and it rips. Got a smaller carbon steel skillet for fried eggs and the occasional grilled cheese.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1755959348734341534?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

:bravo:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Gotta have the super secret non stick pan just for eggs

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hollywood accounting is amazing. They wanted $75M, didn't get it, and so now they're going to take $30M in tax value rather than accepting counters that would probably have been more than $30M.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://x.com/APHClarkson/status/1755900224579498322?s=20

Chuckling heartily over here

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rectal Placenta posted:

Gotta have the super secret non stick pan just for eggs

Every now and then I give eggs a try on my cast iron then ask why I do this to myself

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Intruder posted:

Fair enough. Glad I've handwashed my pots and pans all these years

A friend of mine makes fun of me for insisting on hand washing my nice pots and pans but which one of us has had replace a whole set of cookwear? On the other hand, there are two full sets of silver silverwear in my house for reasons. My girlfriend wants us to use them full time because why not and I hate handwashing that stuff so I've said no for now.

We have a dishwasher and it works mostly ok. It was installed at least 20 years ago so it should probably get replaced at somepoint. Either way I am the kitchen master so I'm the one who does the dishes and 90% of the cooking, so whatever bugs me about something in there is usually my fault.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

kiimo posted:

Yo if you can't find it in your size there are SO MANY places to buy ski gear at cheap prices. Get your size

https://www.steepandcheap.com/
https://www.the-house.com/
https://www.backcountry.com/

:canada:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Every time I see a dishwasher detergent commercial the people are putting stuff in the dishwasher with barely a rinse, everything is still caked on. Does that poo poo actually come clean? I always rinse everything solid off

Never much felt like testing it out and having to redo a load

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

Every time I see a dishwasher detergent commercial the people are putting stuff in the dishwasher with barely a rinse, everything is still caked on. Does that poo poo actually come clean? I always rinse everything solid off

Never much felt like testing it out and having to redo a load

Depends on the dishwasher in my experience. We had one in one apartment that you could leave everything on it and a dish would come out like it was fresh out of the packaging. Our current one you have to prewash to make sure you’ll have clean dishes, but switching detergents helped.

Technology Connections guy has a video that talks all about it:

https://youtu.be/_rBO8neWw04?si=G1qBEKR4OKrhFMwZ

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m just surprised like 90% dishwasher rate in the thread. Always seemed like such an unnecessary appliance, like a trash compactor. My family of 4 fills 1, occasionally 2, 30 gallon trash bag a week. I can fit 4 in my bin so space has never been an issue. Rest goes into the smaller recycling bin but that’s never been full enough to be an issue either.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dishwashers save water over hand washing and get dishes more sanitary.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Suuuuuuuuure. I mean just don’t run the water as youre washing and actually put some muscle into the sponge /shrug

Like aren’t you wasting water rinsing/pre washing for the machine?

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 9, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

God it’s like no one wants to watch a 30 minute video on the engineering of washing machines anymore :rolleyes:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol my washer uses like 4 gallons of water for a full load I ain’t hand washing poo poo

Except nice knives pans because thems the rules

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a sexual elk posted:

Suuuuuuuuure. I mean just don’t run the water as youre washing and actually put some muscle into the sponge /shrug

Like aren’t you wasting water rinsing/pre washing for the machine?

Nope, it's just a plain waste of water to do it by hand these days if you have a modern dishwasher.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

wandler20 posted:

A lot of you outing yourselves as non Bosch having peasants. Shameful. Top shelf utensil drawer is a must have.

My GE dishwasher has a top shelf utensil drawer! It's great and I didnt have to pay Bosch prices to get it!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol my washer uses like 4 gallons of water for a full load I ain’t hand washing poo poo

Except nice knives pans because thems the rules

perfect opinion, no notes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
did something useful today and replaced the dipped beam headlight bulb in my ford focus, but sweet jesus it was more involved than it should have been. You have to unscrew and remove the entire headlamp assembly to get at it, which included very nearly threading one of the securing screws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My mom just dropped me off an entire flat of strawberries. I like strawberries as much as the next person but what the hell do I do with an entire flat?