Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I've used taskrabbit a bunch. Depending on the skill level needed you can go "deeper" into the listings. If it's just brute strength you need then it doesn't matter as much. Pay careful attention though because like Uber the prices add up quickly. Generally speaking though it's always going to add up to "a couple hundred bucks" for a few hours of work. Note that TaskRabbit provides little to nothing by way of insurance - if the person drops your TV trying to mount it on the wall it's going to be a whole thing to get someone to pay for it.

And you're going to need to just hire a housekeeper if you want them to clean your dishes. But try to just do that yourself. I try to empty the sink before ours comes over so they don't spend their time doing that in leui of dusting the ceiling fans or whatever odds and ends things they do after finishing the core work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hadlock posted:

If it's a structural wall, the same as above but just get a structural engineer to approve building what's basically a fridge-shaped window in your exterior wall

This is actually what the previous owners already did (but probably without the structural engineer), creating a little fridge nook that extends out of the kitchen because the designated fridge spot was too shallow to ever fit one, through what at one point was the external wall of the house, and then built a little box around it. The problem is that it is a fraction of a fraction of an inch too short, so I'm gonna need to like... slightly enlarge it, vertically, which is the bit I'm having trouble imagining how I'm going to do.

I guess I'll have an excuse to use this new reciprocating saw that I got recently...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 8, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No?
If the cavern is finished don't go through the walls with a recip use a hammer to hole the wall and start pulling he drywall away.

If it's unfinished I'd recommend a circular saw to trim down the studs that tiny bit you need and then just the recip or jigsaw to cut the final bit the circular saw can't hit. .. a recip saw isn't the tool unless your demoing the whole thing and rebuilding.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't loving know, shave the walls for the fridge nook back by a 1/12" so it fits in? That part seems less straightforward.

If it's literally that small, you can just sand the walls a bit.

edit: never mind I was think a fraction of a millimeter, not an inch

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can the fridge just stick out some more? I don't have anything fancy, mine just gets plugged in and sits on the floor wherever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I mean... its sticking out now and its liveable, but I don't want to have to slide sideways through a narrow gap to get into and out of my kitchen forever.

tater_salad posted:

If it's unfinished I'd recommend a circular saw to trim down the studs that tiny bit you need and then just the recip or jigsaw to cut the final bit the circular saw can't hit. .. a recip saw isn't the tool unless your demoing the whole thing and rebuilding.

Sorry, I intended that as a bit of a joke, but considering how I normally post I can understand why someone would take it seriously. I actually already used the saw to take apart a dumb fence and turn it into a few firewood racks earlier today anyway.

Obviously the chainsaw would be a far more appropriate alternative.

Inept posted:

If it's literally that small, you can just sand the walls a bit.

edit: never mind I was think a fraction of a millimeter, not an inch

Giving it some thought, I actually think I might go the other way around, and remove the floor tiles. That would give more than enough space for it to fit in without problems, this floor has some chonky tiles.

But honestly I'm kind of enjoying all of this quite a bit, hah, and am excited to find out what goes wrong next.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 8, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

This is actually what the previous owners already did

:stare: Grover is this your parachute account don't lie

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cleaning dishes is easy as poo poo, I want help cleaning the shower and the toilets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think Molly Maid has a national 1800 number they'll probably want to do an initial deep clean for $extra and then rotate you to the $regular weekly/monthly fee

Start there and see how much you like/hate it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Cleaning dishes is easy as poo poo, I want help cleaning the shower and the toilets

Yup. Surfaces, toilets, showers, bed linens, mop, vacuum. Best ratio of money for happiness I've done to date.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Best ratio of money for happiness I've done to date.

As much as I am loathe to agree about paying other people to do basic chores I can do myself, this is factually true

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our monthly housekeeping appointment was today and it’s always worth the money.

A good set of dishwashing gloves was an (obvious) game changer for nightly cleaning. I’m happy to throw on a podcast and zone out for a bit while I churn through everything that doesn’t fit in the Bosch.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just use your tongue like a normal person

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Having a cleaning lady is absolutely the best money I spend on my house.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Just use your tongue like a normal person

This housekeeping advice brought to you by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Having a cleaning lady is absolutely the best money I spend on my house.

This housekeeping advice also brought to you by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

GlyphGryph posted:

Giving it some thought, I actually think I might go the other way around, and remove the floor tiles. That would give more than enough space for it to fit in without problems, this floor has some chonky tiles.

But honestly I'm kind of enjoying all of this quite a bit, hah, and am excited to find out what goes wrong next.

Are there adjustable feet on the fridge that can be lowered or even removed?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MarcusSA posted:

Having a cleaning lady is absolutely the best money I spend on my marriage.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My upstairs neighbor tub drain leaked into our bathroom ceiling. I cut a hole in the drywall to air it out. It looks like it's been fixed but I'd like to patch it with an access panel in case it leaks again. Any suggestions on what kind of hatch to use given it will be in a bathroom?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've heard that hiring a cleaning service was "the best money I've ever spent" for like a decade and now I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to become addicted. I genuinely don't mind those chores tho? Its always wise to spend if you can to get more free time, I'm generally not using my free time that well anyway.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I've heard that hiring a cleaning service was "the best money I've ever spent" for like a decade and now I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to become addicted. I genuinely don't mind those chores tho? Its always wise to spend if you can to get more free time, I'm generally not using my free time that well anyway.

I mean I don't have kids and I'm sure thats the biggest part of getting a cleaning person, but I'm in the same boat. Most cleaning tasks are pretty short and spread out over a couple days.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I keep considering a cleaning service for like the stuff we just never get to with regular chores until it's been so long you gotta spend hours on it. Basically doing the annoying stuff like scrubbing a wall down or cleaning dust from all the vent covers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Most cleaning tasks are pretty short and spread out over a couple days.

While you aren’t wrong I ain’t got time for all that.

It’s also incredibly nice to just come home to a perfectly clean house. I keep the house generally pretty clean so she takes care of stuff like cleaning the fridge and poo poo I’d probably do once every few months on my own.

It also helps I’ve known her for like 10 years and she’s incredibly nice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The nice thing is you can have them do whatever you don't want to do.

My wife and I consider ourselves to be cleaner than the average human and we pay for donating to come in once a month for a deep clean. She spends 2.5 hours and gets things clean that I didn't even realize were dirty. Our grout looks brand new, chrome is polished. The house just feels and smells cleaner. Coming home when it's done feels so refreshing that I didn't have to spend 2-3 hours doing it myself. She does a full house vacuum and mop, kitchen clean, bathrooms, dusting. Our house isn't huge, only 1200 sqft 3bed 2bath.

My wife is an occasional deep cleaner whereas I'm of the mindset that it is easier just to clean a little every day. When she cooks, she saves all the dishes for after whereas I'm cleaning as I'm cooking so I don't have dishes after. It can be frustrating when I clean all week and on our weekend she decides we should spend Saturday afternoon deep cleaning.

Anyway, I'm at the point in my life where the money spent on someone doing that for you is worth the cost and additional free time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I mean I don't have kids and I'm sure thats the biggest part of getting a cleaning person, but I'm in the same boat. Most cleaning tasks are pretty short and spread out over a couple days.

100% kids.

We keep our house as clean as we can but don’t have time for deep cleaning tasks like we used to. Our system lets us handle the easy stuff (clean kitchen every night, swiffer floors, keep up on laundry, bathroom maintenance) while the housekeeper does the more involved scrubbing/mopping/vacuuming/dusting stuff.

At this point I’d do it even if we didn’t have kids, though. It’s just nice having that stuff done without taking up an evening or weekend day.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Spring is rapidly approaching... got home at new years and our daffodils were already poking through the ground. Some of the fuckers had blooms on them last week... thanks global warming!

But with that, seems like it's time for lawn tool chat:

My 2nd battery for my Kobalt 80v system looks like it's dead now, so I have to either buy another battery for like $180 or sink a few hundred dollars in to a totally new system. I know this is on par with batteries for other brands, but I don't even see these tools/batteries in store anymore, I have to special order them. I'm wondering how much longer they'll even be supported.

So that said, is Ego still the "go to" brand for electric lawn tools? Follow-up: is the stuff sold at LowesDepot any good, or is it a poo poo-tier big box version of what I should be buying? It'd just be a string trimmer and a blower for now. I'd like to go electric for my mower eventually, but I'm not there yet... got a decent Honda years ago and it's been great.

I'm leaning towards going with the Ego just so I'm on a more reliable system, but I'm welcome to someone trying to talk me in to sticking with what I got.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Speaking as a kid-haver, that's why I don't get a cleaning person. They are chaotic little tornados and the degree to which they will make a mess is directly related to how much effort/money you spent cleaning it.

It's also why I deal with 14-year-old junk wall-to-wall carpeting. I'll replace my lovely-rear end garbage carpets either before we sell or when she's like, six or something. Pristine new carpets are how you get juiceboxes.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Sundae posted:

I'll replace my lovely-rear end garbage carpets either before we sell or when she's like, six or something. Pristine new carpets are how you get juiceboxes.

Hate to break it to you, but older kids still make stupid messes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Hate to break it to you, but older kids still make stupid messes.

Oh I know, I just can't literally wait until she's 26. I'd be surprised if this condo makes it to her being 26 tbqh.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Spring is rapidly approaching... got home at new years and our daffodils were already poking through the ground. Some of the fuckers had blooms on them last week... thanks global warming!

My 2nd battery for my Kobalt 80v system looks like it's dead now, so I have to either buy another battery for like $180 or sink a few hundred dollars in to a totally new system. I know this is on par with batteries for other brands, but I don't even see these tools/batteries in store anymore, I have to special order them. I'm wondering how much longer they'll even be supported.

So that said, is Ego still the "go to" brand for electric lawn tools? Follow-up: is the stuff sold at LowesDepot any good, or is it a poo poo-tier big box version of what I should be buying? It'd just be a string trimmer and a blower for now. I'd like to go electric for my mower eventually, but I'm not there yet... got a decent Honda years ago and it's been great.

I'm leaning towards going with the Ego just so I'm on a more reliable system, but I'm welcome to someone trying to talk me in to sticking with what I got.

EGO is definitely still the market leader. The stuff you can get at Lowe's are the same models you can buy from them directly. Woot seems to often have deals on EGO stuff (blowers and the lawn tools mostly, no mowers or snow blowers) so keep an eye on that.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Re: house cleaner chat, I just feel bad about hiring someone to scrub poo poo stains out of my toilet and vacuum my house. It feels almost like having slaves or whatever, since the material conditions that would lead to me doing that job for money are absolutely dire.

Thia is a me problem, I get this.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My lady has used it to fund her green card, now owns her own business with business owned vans and several people she employs. She quoted her rate and we pay it because it's a fair price for a few hours of work. It works out to about $30/hr top line revenue to her.

If you stay in a hotel you're employing the same jobs but likely for far less money and way worse working conditions. (Depending on where you are staying, some places are unionizing.)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
One of the most successful people I grew up with (friend of a friend) started with a van and a shovel cleaning dog poo poo up from people's yards in the affluent DC suburbs. I haven't checked in on him in a while but 10 years ago he was in multiple states and I believe was franchising the business.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Cleaning time is podcast time I don't have to be parenting.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Imagine just having 3-4 hours every other week where you had to do neither? How much would you pay?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I do my windows every couple of years. I cannot find anyone to do them at any price. They’re original to the home’s build in 1930, so wood double-hungs with tracked storm windows over them.

There are 11-windows, so that’s 88-surfaces to do. The fun part is removing the storm-window panels to clean them. While they’re out, I can do the wood window exteriors from outside via a ladder.

The front porch windows we had done in 1998, so they are double-insulated, four picture windows, each flanked by casements - another 24-surfaces.

Sun room off of the garage has six more double-hungs, but those are Pella insulated tilt-ins I installed when I built the garage in 2004.

Aaaannnnd between the front porch and the living room is the 12-light front door; on either side of the door are a pair (so, four total) of large, 9-light side-hinged windows, so a million 96-tiny window lights.

I really hate polishing glass, but it looks so much better afterwards.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 10, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sundae posted:

Speaking as a kid-haver, that's why I don't get a cleaning person. They are chaotic little tornados and the degree to which they will make a mess is directly related to how much effort/money you spent cleaning it.

It's also why I deal with 14-year-old junk wall-to-wall carpeting. I'll replace my lovely-rear end garbage carpets either before we sell or when she's like, six or something. Pristine new carpets are how you get juiceboxes.

Kids have also been our impediment to hiring a cleaning person too. Our surfaces are cluttered, so we need to pick them up before a cleaning person could come out anyway. If I have enough time to declutter them, then I may as well get some soapy water on there and wipe them down myself.

I still want to get someone to help out with the bathrooms though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm thinking ahead. At some point our house is going to be without water while we're having the septic completely replaced. I think it makes sense to pay somebody to redo the previous flipper's paint job in the kitchen during that time. What are the odds I can coordinate a painter's schedule and the septic schedule?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DaveSauce posted:

Good news!

This battery look familiar?

(Caveat to shop around, that was just the first link I saw)

Basically, Greenworks manufactures Lowe's 80v lawn tool line (among others), and it's basically the exact same battery with a slightly different rail to make it superficially incompatible. Why? Because gently caress you and gently caress the planet, specifically.

The good news is that it's fairly trivial to grind off the extra plastic housing bits that prevent you from slotting a perfectly good battery from the same drat factory into your perfectly good and functional tools. So much so, there's even a very detailed walkthrough with pictures: https://www.smartfamilymoney.com/use-greenworks-batteries-kobalt-tools/

Obvious caveat to be careful and disassemble the pack before using power tools to modify it. Lithium cells typically spontaneously fireball when punctured. The housing for the battery literally unscrews apart, hell, you could probably just swap the plastic housing with the Kobalt pack.

Hell, you may not even have to disassemble the thing, your second pack may have discharged below what the charger considers to be a safe charging threshold. You may be able to trickle in some current to get the "dead" battery back up to the point where the charger will do its job normally. I've had luck just leaving my fully deeply discharged kobalt 80v packs on the charger for awhile, and after some futzing around the pack resumed normal charging

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I feel like I may have figured out part of the drainage problem.

Far to the right is where it comes from the sink. To the left is where it drains.

I am pretty sure stuff doesnt drain up so easily, right? That the drain pipe is supposed to go *down* or be horizontal for pretty much the entire way?

I also feel like cutting entirely through those crossbeams like they did probably isnt good either

edit: followup on the crossbeams: one cut through all the way, two cut through more than halfway, three more with big chunks taken out of them. Two crossbeams also appear to be supported only by loose bricks and what looks like an old fence post that was jammed under one of them.

Hmm... I think I am going to stop thinking about this now, otherwise I might start to worry about what thay might mean for the houses structural stability.

Edit 2: Ugh, now I'm bleeding and covered in sewage. This morning's home repairs are not going well, I think I'm going to take a break.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 10, 2024