Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

News outlets can and do pick/choose what they report and how heavily they report it, and they're trying to turn up the RACISM dial right now, so people think there's some kind of crime epidemic

People are aware of said slant in media, but rather than use this knowledge to apply critical thinking to the news their chosen sources give them, they just use it to entirely discount any news whatsoever that is reported by sources they don't like, regardless of whether it's caught live on video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

edit: through 2022 Japanese capitalists were doing a fantastic job hoovering up that surplus value

They are hoovering value on a sinking ship.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I wonder what Americans would give up for good universal healthcare, 20 days minimum paid vacation days and ~40 hour weeks like we have in fail ol' Germany with its bad numbers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

loquacius posted:

I'm encountering this with news about Joe Biden's mush brain: people will just straight-up choose not to believe news that tells them something they don't want to hear. "Well, the only outlets I can find reporting this are aligned with the opposing major political faction, so I don't think it happened."

He just has a stutter

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ephex posted:

I wonder what Americans would give up for good universal healthcare, 20 days minimum paid vacation days and ~40 hour weeks like we have in fail ol' Germany with its bad numbers.

I used to work at a company with a large subsidiary in Belgium and the folks here actively made fun of "those lazy Euros" and their "months-long vacations". Americans love to suffer and are proud painpigs for their masters.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Someone's gonna get musical chaired out the rich person's club. Every cent that went into the working class that improved production that has been clawed back (and that includes probably even stuff that doesn't seem like it would, because an unhappy prole is an unproductive prole,and even cracking the whip and making them work ridiculous hours to claw that back means there's ever less slack to replace people in all businesses) removes excess capital above the added profit beyond the differences between population over time (already unsustainable not even considering Japan's rather lower immigration levels as reducing population reduces efficiency as people have to pick up the slack of the lost, leaving less for businesses), pushing debt per gdp ever higher and causing devaluation cutting of imports (reducing the ability to manufacture or buy food/electricity from places which can actually spare it, reducing production that can be traded for the former and so on). Japan seems like it's going to basically end up deeindustrialising in a way that means anyone who's wealth is denominated in yen to any degree is going to take a 50% or more haircut on all such wealth in terms of what it actually buys.

Western capital has a lot of stuff investments in Japan that are gonna be bad if Japanese capitalists get done ripping it apart, so since they'd no longer be useful, look even more different than Russians, and couldn't even fight back if they wanted to due to their country being just as rotten, why wouldn't they get axed 90-99 (so 99.9 to 99.99, or even 99.999) to preserve the Westerners and small cadre of the ultra rich who help loot their vassals/the rich below them? If it's not people like landlords or whoever is most directly strangling the economy (or if the people looting them just immediately turn into a more consolidated copy) it may even just accelerate the looting and eventually leave less than a thousand rich in a hollowed out shell of a country, until it's possible for a coup to occur of some type.

Any nation that goes like that in the West will set off others as their rich scramble to make themselves while and their peasantry have to pick up the slack, especially as some other nations may fall out the bottom as their rich get hung out to dry for having too rebellious a population. Some nations are already breaking out of western hegemony and likely to follow investment from China while the West fails to be able to discipline them. Who's next?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Japan has squeezed the lives of its citizens, it just doesn't come at a cost, and between the taxes privileges of its corporations and demographics there isn't much of a way out and South Korea isn't that far long behind it.

I think the answer is eventually the US going to "leave them to their own devices" and South Korea and Japan will have to develop a "new relationship" with China because there simply isn't another option. Australia may lost a little longer but it is a country of 27 million with a unsustainable housing bubble.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good news
https://twitter.com/RedboxWire/status/1755950228740440409?t=d5GICwOhVaaDkOcXNwjYuw&s=19

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Japan has squeezed the lives of its citizens, it just doesn't come at a cost, and between the taxes privileges of its corporations and demographics there isn't much of a way out and South Korea isn't that far long behind it.

I think the answer is eventually the US going to "leave them to their own devices" and South Korea and Japan will have to develop a "new relationship" with China because there simply isn't another option. Australia may lost a little longer but it is a country of 27 million with a unsustainable housing bubble.

Honestly 'chinese business relations will grow larger' may be a rosier picture than what I was thinking of. To some extent since China seems interested in growing new trade partners long term it may end up revitalizing nations around it (so long as they give fair deals, which would increasingly end up excluding easy extraction as China becomes picker about what it wants unless its investment power increases without bound. Since China does not have infinite runway either this means that will eventually come to pass failing some new development,which is admittedly likely).

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2024/02/09/shapiro-kelleman-pittsburgh-regional-transit/stories/202402080118

We are now at the point where we need to do studies to tell the government that government funding should go towards public transit

quote:

PRT observers, officials say additional state funds should be used to maintain system

Gov. Shapiro’s proposed budget includes almost $40 million in additional state revenue for local transit

When Gov. Josh Shapiro unveiled his proposed budget for Pennsylvania earlier this week, Pittsburgh Regional Transit officials got some welcome news — the agency could receive roughly $40 million in additional funding this year.

That money may not show up. Lawmakers in Harrisburg will spend the coming weeks dissecting Mr. Shapiro’s budget and ultimately determining if the governor’s investments in public transportation — including for PRT — are approved.

If the proposed funding remains untouched, PRT officials and public transit advocates said it should be used to keep intact the system — one that serves over 100,000 riders every day.

Like other transit agencies across the country, PRT has navigated the challenges of major losses of ridership due to the coronavirus pandemic, and changing or cutting service as the organization tries to train and hire more bus operators. PRT officials announced in recent months that service would be cut by about 1.5% beginning Feb. 18, due to a shortage of bus drivers. They are also starting to look at a redesign of bus routes to reflect the changing demographics of the Pittsburgh region and where service is most needed.

$40m is a loving joke, the transit authority here is staring down a $500m+ cost to replace end-of-life LRVs and we just built a $1.3b 8 mile freeway to nowhere in the sw part of the county.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

thechosenone posted:

Honestly 'chinese business relations will grow larger' may be a rosier picture than what I was thinking of. To some extent since China seems interested in growing new trade partners long term it may end up revitalizing nations around it (so long as they give fair deals, which would increasingly end up excluding easy extraction as China becomes picker about what it wants unless its investment power increases without bound. Since China does not have infinite runway either this means that will eventually come to pass failing some new development,which is admittedly likely).

China doesn't want important economies in the region to collapse, they do plenty of business already, I do think it is going to be based on a major shift in power though. Both South Korea and Japan are just proportionally going to be much weaker, and neither one are going to be able to stand on their own especially when the worst of the demographics wave hits in the next 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan has to actively default and sustain itself on loans from the PRC just to keep on the lights on at a certain point (and that will come with some heavy concessions).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The entire interview is wild
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1755960004899954989?t=hqFjHnzddM8C25lMzJ1wdw&s=19

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Wonder what will happen first to maintain car ownership: People getting crammed together to increasingly mimic buses, safety standards that both kept workers alive long enough to make money and keep car repairs down enough to not defeat the purpose (and prevent competitors from entering the market. Imagining people just clunking together their own handmade cars because the amount torn off the top for profit at car companies reaches the point where it's competitive), or will they end up knife fighting McDonald's and other companies for additional prison labor (the acquisition of which leads to other business being gored as people are still dying of COVID on both sides of the cell door, meaning the effect of reducing the number of people who actually get paid to buy their products reduces more) or money printing (which if anything greases the wheels to more crisis as it prevents a correction).

rather than musical chairs it's gonna be more like Old Faithful in Yellowstone if they started smashing more water into the caldera beneath it, with a small proportion of rich being blown out increasingly faster and faster each time with explosive force.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Feb 9, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

hell yeah, more banks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the american economy is just rich people moving money from one account to another over and over

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

News outlets can and do pick/choose what they report and how heavily they report it, and they're trying to turn up the RACISM dial right now, so people think there's some kind of crime epidemic

People are aware of said slant in media, but rather than use this knowledge to apply critical thinking to the news their chosen sources give them, they just use it to entirely discount any news whatsoever that is reported by sources they don't like, regardless of whether it's caught live on video

almost all news in the entire world goes through a software gate kept by the Associated Press called ENPS. 🌈⭐️

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

loquacius posted:

the american economy is just rich people moving money from one account to another over and over

that's all legit GDP baybeee

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/MacroEdgeRes/status/1755978530469331220

Apr 7, 2003

lol

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/businesses-remain-frustrated-mon-incline-closure-continues/MC4PP4PPZZGZRA4JAU7PKOQUMQ/

quote:

PITTSBURGH — It’s been more than a month since the Monongahela Incline closed for the latest round of repairs, and business owners remain frustrated by losses they directly attribute to the shutdown.

“I’ve lost roughly $30,000 dollars and that’s not lost profits, that is true losses, strictly because 40 percent of our revenue is derivative of the incline,” said Brian Gorder, Owner of Gordo’s Tacos and Tequila on Mount Washington.

Gorder said that he and fellow business owners of the “Shiloh Street Shops,” located just around the corner from the incline, are planning to invoice Pittsburgh Regional Transit for weekly losses.

We refuse to pay taxes towards public transit. Also if public transit goes down we're going to invoice the county for profits we were entitled to.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/businesses-remain-frustrated-mon-incline-closure-continues/MC4PP4PPZZGZRA4JAU7PKOQUMQ/

We refuse to pay taxes towards public transit. Also if public transit goes down we're going to invoice the county for profits we were entitled to.

I demand this service be funded but I'll be damned if I agree to let my taxes be used to pay for it

just like that Brexit guy and his eels
cause and effect you fuckers

Apr 7, 2003

billing Toyota because I couldn't make it to work after my lovely car broke down

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol, lmao

1 weird trick to avoid recession

have Germany and Japan simply considered rampant, unbounded asset inflation?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...rgy-consumption

quote:

The U.S Energy Information Administration (EIA) is now requiring large-scale commercial cryptocurrency mining operations to report their power consumption. This initiative is part of a larger effort to regulate and penalize cryptocurrency mining due to the exorbitant amount of energy the industry consumes yearly. For now, the EIA is only collecting data, but this new data should give birth to new regulations that will penalize miners in the future. This comes as the company has released a study (first reported on by Inside Climate News) suggesting that cryptocurrency mining represents up to 2.3% of U.S. power demand.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

lol, lmao

1 weird trick to avoid recession

have Germany and Japan simply considered rampant, unbounded asset inflation?
I believe the answer is yes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

loquacius posted:

someone on sa once described the (canadian) housing market as Beavis and Butthead buying girl scout cookie back and forth from each other with one 5 dollar bill until they both get sick

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
tbf it's not really small businesses that need to step up and pay taxes, it's the megacorps

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

#winning

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

As far as I can tell, there are two kinds of consultants:

1. Industry experts: They have dozens of clients in the same verticals. They steal all the good ideas from each of these clients and then present them as their own to the other clients.
2. Hacks: You bring these people in to "study" a problem and then they give you cover to do the thing you were going to do anyway. "Oh, our 29-year-old McKinsey consultant says the best thing for us to do is lay off 20% of you. I hate to do it, but he's the expert, so ..."

Both of these are good investments so consultants bill for incredible rates.

I've only ever really had experience with #2, and yeah it's a way to do a reorg and cut headcount while putting all the blame on somebody who exits the organization right after.

Apr 7, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

tbf it's not really small businesses that need to step up and pay taxes, it's the megacorps

in just the past few weeks here we've had that guy saying he wants to sue the transit authority because people can't ride the incline to his store, and another business owner yell about suing the city for removing street parking that she thinks her customers are entitled to. I figure in a few years the only guaranteed right wrt public property will be the right to use it for profit.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I loving wish they'd cram 2.3% of US power demand into Folding@Home instead. Would have that poo poo on lock.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thechosenone posted:

I loving wish they'd cram 2.3% of US power demand into Folding@Home instead. Would have that poo poo on lock.

Sorry, crime and grift is a major contributor to the economy unlike scientific research.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

loquacius posted:

They should move it into my account

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol

Past performance entitles you to future results. It's in the fine print.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fake news.

They're only counting mainland China companies listed on the Hong Kong stock market.

Shenzhen Stock Exchange and Shanghai Stock Exchange together are worth $11 trillion.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The only reason I don't owe any taxes is because Freetaxusa carried over stock losses from last year.

Stay losing to stay winning :c00lbert:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

So sorry to heear about your stock portfolio dude

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

when you lose money gambling, the government gives you a tax break :)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

FistEnergy posted:

I checked with D&D and they assured me that wages have kept up with inflation so if things seem expensive then it's your own fault

Yeah I got yelled at in BFC when I said high interest rates have been bad for regular people actually and that COL has outpaced wages.

My fault for even being there honestly.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ephex posted:

I wonder what Americans would give up for good universal healthcare

i would give up paying even more for health insurance lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

when you lose money gambling, the government gives you a tax break :)

Backstopping rich people's gambling losses and facilitating war and genocide is the entire social contract at this point.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would give up paying even more for health insurance lol

I like how people whine about having to pay taxes for universal healthcare as if health insurance isn't a private tax.