Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

there's so many strange things in zardoz that no one ever talks about the part where a room full of people study the process of sean connery getting an erection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm pissed off that my good friends Will Forte and The Coyote are being treated this way

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SomethingBeautiful posted:

there's so many strange things in zardoz that no one ever talks about the part where a room full of people study the process of sean connery getting an erection

what's so strange about that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm pissed off that my good friends Will Forte and The Coyote are being treated this way

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t72y09j7hvo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you see a potential tax write off, warn a brother

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao

america has completed its metamorphosis into an entirely fictitious finance capital state

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is loving fantastic, read it

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kim_02_24/

quote:

Many non-Omelan people said a lot of very mean things (no one outside Omelas had a good and normal relationship with social media), like that the Omelans were monsters for letting the load-bearing suffering child exist and therefore everything about Omelas was hosed beyond belief, and had they known about the load-bearing suffering child, they never would have visited Omelas’ beautiful beaches and nightclubs and festivals, because the knowledge of the child was so goddamn loving horrific and tainted everything. And maybe it was the Omelans who should be killed.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

lmao

america has completed its metamorphosis into an entirely fictitious finance capital state

Wile E Coyote holding a sign that says vote

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

indigi posted:

Wile E Coyote holding a sign that says vote

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

indigi posted:

if you see a potential tax write off, warn a brother

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

lmao

Yeah it sucks. I know I know, but I am a bit sad when I think about the death of WB. There is so much in their library that is important pieces of culture and I worry about what happens to them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when WB was considered the main competition for Disney

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Disney is gonna buy Warner Bros and all media will just be Disney

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

quote:

“If we kill enough kids then you will eventually stop putting kids in the hole,” the murderer said. “I’m an accelerationist.”

This is great

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius posted:

Disney is gonna buy Warner Bros and all media will just be Disney

Finance assholes are trying to take over Disney to do what zaslav is doing to everyone else.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its ok, ye

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it sucks. I know I know, but I am a bit sad when I think about the death of WB. There is so much in their library that is important pieces of culture and I worry about what happens to them.
there will always be :filez: and i'm sure library will be hoovered up and streamed forever

probably bought out by bezos or disney

but their days as a studio, and indeed probably selling their LA campus, is about over

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Feb 9, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
If Warner's claim is that there's no possible way to make a profit off the movie then it should be entered into the public domain as a condition of the tax break

This is the sort of slam dunk popular executive branch actions Joe Biden could be doing right now smh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

honestly 90% of the nostalgia for me is just Mel Blanc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If Warner's claim is that there's no possible way to make a profit off the movie then it should be entered into the public domain as a condition of the tax break

This is the sort of slam dunk popular executive branch actions Joe Biden could be doing right now smh

this is how scientific publications should work

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And the roadrunner is just laughing!

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

quote:

They will talk about the history of Omelas in the same way that people talk about the Uyghurs situation in China, the concentration camps of the Third Reich, the comfort women imported from Korea by Japan, the Belgium Congo, the Atlantic Slave Trade in relation to the American South, and the refugees who sink in ships off the coast of Western Europe.

quote:

Isabel J. Kim is a Korean-American speculative fiction writer based in New York City. ... When she’s not writing, she’s either practicing law or co-hosting her internet culture podcast Wow if True—both equally noble pursuits.

fuckin lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

noo! i posted that before i got to that second-to-last paragraph but i still thought it was good

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
tbh i, uhh, don't get it? is this story saying, like, direct action doesn't work because the state will just fix any damage you try to cause to it? like direct action will just cause a temporary amount of chaos, but ultimately the status quo will be maintained? or, like, online discourse about state atrocities is pointless noise?

tbh it seems to basically be a rewrite of the original story but with more swearing and topical references to stuff like Wikipedia and health insurance

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

drat that sucks for WB, wonder how universal is doing

Inside the Hidden Poverty Crisis at Universal Studios

quote:

“Everybody talks about it, it’s a constant battle, it’s tearing at us mentally,” she says, noting that her colleagues have in recent years begun sharing stories of acute stress. “I’ve had panic attacks myself, numerous times, at work. You think, ‘Am I going to I die here?’ ”

A new UCLA Labor Center study of Universal Studios Hollywood theme park employees reveals that Arceo is no aberration. Its findings reveal widespread poverty. Forty-four percent of the workers reported that they worried about being evicted from their homes, while more than half cut the size of their meals — or skipped them — because they didn’t have enough money for food. (A quarter of the workforce has received benefits via food stamp, food bank or other need-based food donation programs.) “The guests at the park, they see us smiling — they don’t see the stress we’re under because of what we’re paid, what that means,” explains cart cook Anthony “Sarge” Monteverde Jr., who’s spent seven years with the company.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

tbh i, uhh, don't get it? is this story saying, like, direct action doesn't work because the state will just fix any damage you try to cause to it? like direct action will just cause a temporary amount of chaos, but ultimately the status quo will be maintained? or, like, online discourse about state atrocities is pointless noise?

tbh it seems to basically be a rewrite of the original story but with more swearing and topical references to stuff like Wikipedia and health insurance

I've seen people have a negative reaction to the original story's apparent assumption that the only alternative to accepting the situation is loving off for parts unknown -- for example, NK Jemisin wrote a pretty self-righteous response work called "THE ONES WHO STAY AND FIGHT" (presumably by voting for Kamala Harris) and this work appears to be just sort of an exploration of "what would happen if we just killed the kids" and the apparent result is, as you say, kind of nihilistic as would be expected from a Warrenite

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you can't stay and fight. the entire point of sacrificing the child is that if you're in Omelas everything is perfect, the magic that provides this doesn't allow for petitioners bothering people on street corners or roving bands of black bloc

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

you can't stay and fight. the entire point of sacrificing the child is that if you're in Omelas everything is perfect, the magic that provides this doesn't allow for petitioners bothering people on street corners or roving bands of black bloc

you can vote for people who promise to give the kid an extra mop or something though

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

It's that being a citizen of Omelas makes you too stupid to solve the problem

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

you can vote for people who promise to give the kid an extra mop or something though

no you can't! that also breaks the universe!! I hate this so much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Replace the child with a landlord, I have solved the Omelas Paradox

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

loquacius posted:

I've seen people have a negative reaction to the original story's apparent assumption that the only alternative to accepting the situation is loving off for parts unknown -- for example, NK Jemisin wrote a pretty self-righteous response work called "THE ONES WHO STAY AND FIGHT" (presumably by voting for Kamala Harris) and this work appears to be just sort of an exploration of "what would happen if we just killed the kids" and the apparent result is, as you say, kind of nihilistic as would be expected from a Warrenite

I'm not sure the story seems to be nihilistic as you think. I think that its certainly liberal but I agree with its assumption that individualistic direct action cannot change anything whatsoever. You need an organized body of fellow communists to exercise political power, or else you're just wasting everyone's time like anarchists do.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

nk jemisen sucks so bad

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Think how awesome Omelas would be if they put two kids down there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nk jemisen sucks so bad

I think that book about stone psychics or w/e was alright but I agree with this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Think how awesome Omelas would be if they put two kids down there.

lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755960062630052010?t=0QV2ShHRNZG0-hpExD_8PA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nk jemisen sucks so bad