Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/spencerpetras/status/1755782080062275616?ref_src=

.....o....owned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jim Jordan is the chairman so I’m guessing he controls that account?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

Jim Jordan is the chairman so I’m guessing he controls that account?

Yep.

And for content: WINK AND CLINK, MOTHERFUCKERS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Michigan hiring a legendary game show host and radio personality to be their DC

smdh

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1755907919856680972?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Gonz posted:

Michigan hiring a legendary game show host and radio personality to be their DC

smdh

From how it's sounded, this dude is the dude that taught (or set the concepts for) the other dudes how to dude. So he outright came up with the concepts/tweaks that turned the Ravens/Macdonald/Minter into a thing. Also a guy that Moore can just turn over the defense to and that will be that, as terminology doesn't even need to change. But also will have -170% interest in recruiting and probably just be around for a short time, as the league is his place (but lol not the Giants).

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 9, 2024

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ESPN reporting that Boston College has saved Ohio State's season by hiring OC Bill O'Brien to be their next Head Coach

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

facialimpediment posted:

From how it's sounded, this dude is the dude that taught (or set the concepts for) the other dudes how to dude. So he outright came up with the concepts/tweaks that turned the Ravens/Macdonald/Minter into a thing. Also a guy that Moore can just turn over the defense to and that will be that, as terminology doesn't even need to change. But also will have -170% interest in recruiting and probably just be around for a short time, as the league is his place (but lol not the Giants).

The big difference is that he’s a wayyyy more aggressive playcaller which is going to get him in some trouble in college. Terms and concepts might be the same, but he’s 150% a stopgap for that because other options said no. They’re going to look elite against bad competition, but there are 3-4 games this year that his pressure calls are going to turn into tummy ache moments Don Brown style.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

ESPN reporting that Boston College has saved Ohio State's season by hiring OC Bill O'Brien to be their next Head Coach

I stick by my call that BoB would’ve been fine as a playcaller at Ohio state but honestly Godspeed since he’s doing it for his family.

Chip Kelly, Joe Moorhead, Jason Candle come on down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Bob saw Wink and Clink, then Blinked

TheGreyGhost posted:

The big difference is that he’s a wayyyy more aggressive playcaller which is going to get him in some trouble in college. Terms and concepts might be the same, but he’s 150% a stopgap for that because other options said no. They’re going to look elite against bad competition, but there are 3-4 games this year that his pressure calls are going to turn into tummy ache moments Don Brown style.

Yeah all very much possible! The big question is if that aggressive nature will be dialed down just because 2024 Michigan will have two first-rounders on the defensive line and pressure should still be possible just rushing four. Not really worried about getting a case of the Don Browns, but probably can't just practice the anti-tOSU defense all year with the significantly more difficult schedule.

Not sure how many other DC-level outright options said no - Minter was gone and I only remember a few potentials falling out. IIRC the Wink thing happened because he was expected back at the NY Giants, then someone called him asking looking for suggestions about anyone else branched off the Ravens tree available. Wink pulled a Dick Cheney and said "I've checked all the branches and the proper selection is me because gently caress the Giants organization".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TheGreyGhost posted:

I stick by my call that BoB would’ve been fine as a playcaller at Ohio state but honestly Godspeed since he’s doing it for his family.

Chip Kelly, Joe Moorhead, Jason Candle come on down.

It's Tommy Rees Time

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Oh my

https://x.com/PeteThamel/status/1756029884525085166?s=20

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

College football is cooked. Good lord.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
If my head coach left to be a coordinator somewhere else I might just give up

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Seaniqua posted:

My Pops just texted me as a UCLA Grad. He wants UCLA to shutdown the program.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Seaniqua posted:

I don’t think UCLA is too broken up about Chip leaving. He was pretty close to being fired this season and they’d probably view it as a win to get rid of him without firing him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

God I hope Will Howard shits the bed as QB

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ryan Day's Voltron of Losers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
As a USC fan, lol

Lmao even

When I saw he was leaving, I assumed he had finally gotten an NFL OC gig. I didn't even think he would leave to be an OC in college

I guess UCLA made the right call to not fire him and pay the buyout

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Glumslinger posted:

As a USC fan, lol

Lmao even

When I saw he was leaving, I assumed he had finally gotten an NFL OC gig. I didn't even think he would leave to be an OC in college

I guess UCLA made the right call to not fire him and pay the buyout

Kyle Ford may be coming home.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1756034532791242870?s=20

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm pretty certain Fleck would get steamrolled by LA Media but there is that off chance of him finding his calling as a full on cult leader and I'm down for that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

donors told ryan day to swing for the fences and he said 'how bout the moon bitch'

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

College football is cooked. Good lord.

This seems more like a UCLA problem than a college football problem. (But also maybe even that big of a UCLA problem if they don't make a terrible followup hire, like PJ Fleck).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

I'm pretty certain Fleck would get steamrolled by LA Media but there is that off chance of him finding his calling as a full on cult leader and I'm down for that.

Does the LA Media even bother covering UCLA?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chip Kelly with Henderson and Judkins seems way more dangerous to me than BoB.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

General Dog posted:

This seems more like a UCLA problem than a college football problem. (But also maybe even that big of a UCLA problem if they don't make a terrible followup hire, like PJ Fleck).

I don't know. I was listening to some podcasts. We'll likely see more standing HCs leave for coordinator jobs in the future. That is worrisome.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

If UCLA survived the Karl Dorrell era they are never quitting.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

goddamn Harbs really broke Ohio's brains/checkbooks. I'm really looking forward to the next few meetings of the chess match that is The Game (spoiler: gonna involve dozens of pawn attacks off tackle to establish the center of the board / the run).

(I know nothing about Kelly as a playcaller/recruiter/whatever other than reflexively opposing anyone associated with Notre Dame so this fits right into my preconceived notions).

e: I really don't know anything and Brians and Chips

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

General Dog posted:

While PJ is deeply cringe, he's done a solid job at Minnesota, and took a MAC team to an NY6 bowl. Fleck would install a high floor at UCLA, which is a place that can easily have a 3-9 season

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dance McPants posted:

goddamn Harbs really broke Ohio's brains/checkbooks. I'm really looking forward to the next few meetings of the chess match that is The Game (spoiler: gonna involve dozens of pawn attacks off tackle to establish the center of the board / the run).

(I know nothing about Kelly as a playcaller/recruiter/whatever other than reflexively opposing anyone associated with Notre Dame so this fits right into my preconceived notions).

Uh, Chip Kelly is not Brian Kelly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dance McPants posted:

Chip Kelly is not Brian Kelly.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ucla please hire Chadwell

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Dance McPants posted:

That was my first reaction, like Ryan Day was given an infinite bag to operate with for exactly one year, or else.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I've said it before, but I think Dan Mullen would be a great fit at UCLA.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

That was my first reaction, like Ryan Day was given an infinite bag to operate with for exactly one year, or else.

If Ryan Day fails this year, he's gone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If we're defining "Fail" as losing one playoff game and not winning a national title, I don't think even tOSU is that crazy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In more minor coaching news, Baylor has brought in Gary Patterson as a defensive analyst for the coming season. I would recommend Aranda watch his back and keep tabs on which boosters Gary's golfing with in his spare time.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

General Dog posted:

Does the LA Media even bother covering UCLA?
No, but I doubt they'll be able to resist the temptation to mock the walking cringe machine.

Godzilla07 posted:

While PJ is deeply cringe, he's done a solid job at Minnesota, and took a MAC team to an NY6 bowl. Fleck would install a high floor at UCLA, which is a place that can easily have a 3-9 season
Yeah, Fleck'll embarras your school but he won't embarrass your school. Even his good Minnesota teams had a ton of luck to make it through soft nonconference schedules and they could never quite grasp the ultra-attainable big ten west title, but the closest he ever got to scandal was an adjunct professor trying to get the media to bite on "abusive and injurious practice requirements" for a few years, tacking on broken playing time promises and other similar stories when the supposedly abused students all said there was nothing to it.

Given that his predecessor tearfully praised his players for threatening to boycott a bowl game after their teammates got in trouble for an evening that closely tracks the Hockey Canada case, it's not as if he inherited a healthy situation.

General Dog posted:

If we're defining "Fail" as losing one playoff game and not winning a national title, I don't think even tOSU is that crazy.
I can dream :colbert: I think it's very fun that they've already hired their head coach for 2025.

ETA: For some reason, I see Goldy grabbing Tommy Rees before he gets started with the Browns, if Fleck leaves. They've always operated like an unheralded G5 with about 30% more budget (past gopher major sports hires: Jerry Kill (NIU), PJ Fleck (WMU), Ricky Pitino (FIU), Ben Johnson (Xavier assistant))

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 9, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

UCLA could also do a lot worse than getting Matt Campbell at a discount

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Chip Kelly wants back into the NFL and probably sees this as a golden opportunity. And it'll probably work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This late in the cycle I wonder if you just plan to make your hire at the end of the 2024 season and just bring in, like, Jeff Tedford as interim.

edit: thought Tedford had retired from Fresno a second time, but he's still there