Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh maybe I should play splatoon 3.

Or maybe start with the octoling expansion for 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hwurmp posted:

I can't believe Splatoon fans were more reasonable than Pokemon fans all along

There are two kinds of gamer.

People who like a game, and so are happy when another game like it comes out, because they get more of what they like.

People who like a game, and so they are absolutely furious when another game like it comes out because They Are Copying The One True Good Game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hwurmp posted:

I can't believe Splatoon fans were more reasonable than Pokemon fans all along

Splatoon doesn't have people banned from tournaments for throwing their own poo poo at each other.

Yet.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

njsykora posted:

I'd enjoy this more if Splatoon 3 didn't do basically the exact same thing if you die to the final boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dds0uj4zWuA

The hell you talking about? There's ZERO mention of "foam" or anything "foamed up".

Totally separate.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Muscle Tracer posted:

People who like a game, and so are happy when another game like it comes out, because they get more of what they like.

People who like a game, and so they are absolutely furious when another game like it comes out because They Are Copying The One True Good Game.

I don't care for pokemon. Which is why I need to play Cassette Beasts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I hadn't noticed the pattern until Palworld, but totally.

I mentioned Palworld on a Neopets discord and someone did an "ignore announcement" at me because they felt we could never agree. They really hated how it "ripped off" BotW, whereas I was saying I expected any open world game these days to have some of those ripoff features as core elements to traversal formula, like climbing and gliding (which you ultimately stop doing anyway once you get flying at like level 20 or earlier).

It sucks when any videogame thingy gets patented, if patent hawks had been doing their dirty deeds heavily from the start we wouldn't even be talking about videogames today since everyone making one has to do things in the worst obtuse ways to avoid tripping over every businesses' precious legal documents.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Muscle Tracer posted:

See my problem is it didn't copy the part of Pokemon I like(turn based battles) thankfully Sujimon came along

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clones are awesome as long as they feel like something with effort put into them. I've played plenty of Slay the Spire clones and there's a clear gap between "We have our own take on this" and "This is just Slay the Spire but you are a ninja instead and otherwise it has the exact same mechanics and wording" and I think it's possible to both like the former and roll your eyes at the latter.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wouldn't have a problem with similar wordings between games
This card effect is exactly like Haste from magic the gathering except here it's called uhhhh Rapidness. Also it's not Flying, it's Airborne

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

speaking of card games, there's a really unique-looking deckbuilder called diceomancer that skillup brought to my attention. it's a mostly normal card game with a cute artstyle that has an amazingly creative twist: you can get dice cards that you can roll to replace any number on the screen. not sure how balanced it'll be, but that's a great hook to get people interested

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with similar wordings between games
This card effect is exactly like Haste from magic the gathering except here it's called uhhhh Rapidness. Also it's not Flying, it's Airborne

I don't mind it in cases where it makes sense but it's very silly where it's bluntly a mechanic designed around a specific flavor and they keep the term even if the flavor changes.

On the other hand we've all continued to use QTEs long past the point of relevance.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What's up, motherfoamers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It looks like the Xbox logo and name have begun to disappear from Microsoft's game listings on their website, just saying "Game Pass" and "Console"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

It looks like the Xbox logo and name have begun to disappear from Microsoft's game listings on their website, just saying "Game Pass" and "Console"

Someone pointed out in the Xbox thread that this has been happening since last year. So who knows! Tuesday cant come soon enough.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

slowly transforming into the ex-box

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

phil spencer walks out, "I'd like to present the future of xbox, with our new partner". he unbuttons his jacket, revealing tenga shirt underneath. "I give you, the sexbox"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

games as a servicing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The new midrange console, Xbox Series E

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm a PC.

And I'm GamesPCass

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hwurmp posted:

games as a servicing

Lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
So my wife sliced her hand open with a stanley blade (incidentally 3 weeks after cutting her hand on a mandoline cutter) and had to get rushed to A&E for the second time in a month by her best friend and this time i've been left with my wife's best friend's 12 year old son who has has very kindly helped me tidy up the whole house and i'm now introducing to Doom (the og) for the very first time and and its giving me joy in an otherwise overly stressful evening seeing a kid love a classic game that i once loved

just wanted to share that because it's been a fairly surreal night, thank you all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your wife should maybe stay away from sharp objects.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Get her some cut gloves

But I'm glad she's alright and it's nothing serious, for real. Been going through some stuff of my own so I get just being at a stressed level for extended periods of time. It blows!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If nothing else it was a display of multiple skills, the first time was a chunk whereas this was a slice

regardless, we've moved on from Doom and would you believe a kid from 2011 loves Stardew Valley, of course you would because it's awesome and a perfect de-stress game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Get her some cut gloves

socks?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

These things

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-Cut-Resistant-Glove-Kitchen/dp/B0B7Z8ZZWN/

They have Kevlar woven in so you don’t slice yourself on knives or mandolines

They’re not stab proof though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer the chain mail ones.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

next time you feel like replaying Clock Tower give'r a watch before or after, it'll make you smile.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Palworld btw everyone

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

I prefer the chain mail ones.

Dulls your knives, which causes more slips while cutting

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1755984575560573291

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Dulls your knives, which causes more slips while cutting

I exclusively use them to empty the thousands of cans of pumpkin I need for pies.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sure, I'll peruse some Icelandic record stores with Hideo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My partner, normally a nega-gamer, is really enjoying the OTHER pokemon ripoff game, Niantic's Pikmin mobile game.

I am so glad I don't play mobile games anymore, this one would be bad for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Muscle Tracer posted:

My partner, normally a nega-gamer, is really enjoying the OTHER pokemon ripoff game, Niantic's Pikmin mobile game.

I am so glad I don't play mobile games anymore, this one would be bad for me.

Kinda surprised that's still around, thought it would be dead already

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Games occur first as service, second as farce.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What are these games as service serving anyway besides a bunch of bad games I don't play? Why do the scientists keep making them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
stupid science bitches

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There are many gaas to make fun of but I will admit to being a path of exile fan. Maybe it doesn't count and it goes in the free to play category? I dunno. I've probably spent a hundred bucks on it since 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

External Organs posted:

There are many gaas to make fun of but I will admit to being a path of exile fan. Maybe it doesn't count and it goes in the free to play category? I dunno. I've probably spent a hundred bucks on it since 2019.

I mean yeah, GaaS basically just means free to play design but also it costs you $70 to start.