Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Proper mobile order etiquette if your order isn't ready yet, don't worry you can just spread your arms out and cover the entire pickup table so the people behind you can't get theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
My Orlando local friend and I just realized the weekend I'll be down there for work is going to be the weekend between festivals, so we can't stuff ourselves with kiosk food as planned. Boo! Silver lining is we can try all the regular Epcot menus I typically ignore. What are everyone's non-festival go-to picks for eating and drinking around the world? (In an and/or sense, I probably won't want to get super sloppy drunk but it'd be fun to try something in every country.) Either snack-size or larger but reasonably easy to split.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The brioche ice cream sandwich in France.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Sticky toffee pudding at the Rose & Crown in England.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I like getting a sweet from either Les Halles in France or Kringla bakerie in Norway.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Troll horns and school bread in Norway are my favorite things. I also can't say no to most things in that one bakery at the back of France.

I also usually bring extra money for myself to get lit at La Cava inside the Mexico pavilion (the one inside the pyramid, to the right).

Aphrodite posted:

The brioche ice cream sandwich in France.

My wife grabbed one of those last time we were there and I was so mad at myself for not having discovered its majesty years sooner.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If they still offer them, hummus fries at Spice Road Table.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Spice Road Table in general is an amazing shout. It's just really spectacularly well done middle eastern/Mediterranean food.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If they still offer them, hummus fries at Spice Road Table.

the only fries outside of poutine disney offers that are not garbage

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Go to the Boulangerie and get a fresh warm baguette.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you don't get the fish and chips from the stand in England at least once in a trip, did you really go to Epcot?

It's a snack sized portion if you're brave enough :colbert:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
There are two of us so we can force a lot of things to be snack size by splitting.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asehujiko posted:

I went to Phantasialand's Wintertraum when it was around 5C and all major rides were quite doable since they're dug into the terrain or between buildings. Having a thick, padded coat also made some of the rougher ones like the Winjas a bit more comfortable.

How was the winter event? I have been to Phantasialand a few times but not the winter event yet. I’m planning to go next January.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dugong posted:

How was the winter event? I have been to Phantasialand a few times but not the winter event yet. I’m planning to go next January.
It depends on what you're looking for. You'll probably find more decorations at a decently sized Christmas market but night rides on their big coasters are top notch, especially Taron. Queues also tend to be a bit shorter than during summer if you avoid school holidays.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you don't get the fish and chips from the stand in England at least once in a trip, did you really go to Epcot?

It's a snack sized portion if you're brave enough :colbert:
I have never gotten it there, because I don't eat fish, the English are poo poo at chips, and there's no guarantee that Disney even bothered with that level when Cooke's has given up on doing Irish chips.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The fish and chips at both Cooke’s and Yorkshire are absolutely outstanding, at least the way I like fish and chips. Last time I was there it looked like they put an entire fried cod on top of my basket.

If you’re at Cooke’s you should be eating a Hog in a Box instead though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cooke's used to be great. In 2022 they were mediocre, and American-styled. The burger was depressingly "not durty" too. Probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't moved to London a few months beforehand and was missing a good Dublin chipper.

Hog in a box is not proper chipper food :colbert:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The almond ghribas at Oasis Sweets and Sips in the Moroccan pavilion are my favorite epcot food

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arquinsiel posted:

Cooke's used to be great. In 2022 they were mediocre, and American-styled. The burger was depressingly "not durty" too. Probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't moved to London a few months beforehand and was missing a good Dublin chipper.

Hog in a box is not proper chipper food :colbert:

Oh good so you’re the guy who went to Italy for a few months in college and now every time someone here asks how you’re enjoying your pizza you sigh and roll your eyes

I’m just kidding Arquinsiel you know I love you. I haven’t eaten at Cooke’s since probably 2020 so I don’t know how bad it’s declined. I just love my boxed hog.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

and now every time someone here asks how you’re enjoying your pizza you sigh and roll your eyes

This is more accurate to every person from NYC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

Oh good so you’re the guy who went to Italy for a few months in college and now every time someone here asks how you’re enjoying your pizza you sigh and roll your eyes

I’m just kidding Arquinsiel you know I love you. I haven’t eaten at Cooke’s since probably 2020 so I don’t know how bad it’s declined. I just love my boxed hog.
Exactly that! Except I'm the Italian who moved to Germany and gets okayish pizza and then went to Disney and got mad about Via Napoli being bad. I actually used to live on the same street that Cooke's was on before Disney bought it and shipped it over tile by tile. Also, weirdly, the best Irish chippers are run by Italians :iiam:

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Go to the Boulangerie and get a fresh warm baguette.

THIS. Probably the most reasonable snack item in Disney and it's a whole drat baguette for like $4.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. An entire park full of new concept rides that are down all the time would be a PR disaster.

So it'd just be a repeat of opening day of Universal Studios Florida then. poo poo, their signature ride closed after opening day and didn't open again for over a year.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

The fish and chips at both Cooke’s and Yorkshire are absolutely outstanding, at least the way I like fish and chips. Last time I was there it looked like they put an entire fried cod on top of my basket.

If you’re at Cooke’s you should be eating a Hog in a Box instead though.

So I do like the fish at both, the chips at Yorkshire are just incredible. It's now an Epcot tradition to stop by and just get an order of chips. Best fries on property by a landslide.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So it'd just be a repeat of opening day of Universal Studios Florida then. poo poo, their signature ride closed after opening day and didn't open again for over a year.

Like I said, this is specifically what they’re trying to avoid, and is the reason basically every ride system except for the potter ride is a tested and known good system from a manufacturer with a good track record (well, except for the HTTYD coaster, it’s the same system as Hagrid so it’ll be perpetually broken for the first four months too)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hazo posted:

I just love my boxed hog.

Come on, people. Is this thread so Disney-wholesome that we’re willing to let such an obvious “your mom” opportunity pass by unremarked?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Like I said, this is specifically what they’re trying to avoid, and is the reason basically every ride system except for the potter ride is a tested and known good system from a manufacturer with a good track record (well, except for the HTTYD coaster, it’s the same system as Hagrid so it’ll be perpetually broken for the first four months too)

I heard the Potter ride's base ride system is essentially the same as Spider-Man and Transformers, and as being equated to the Bejing Jurassic World ride where the ride system is a tried and true one, but the ride around it throws a bunch of new poo poo at the wall (Like the moving I-Rex that chases you in the Jurassic World)

The HTTYD coaster being a Hagrid-esq ride seems short sighted but I guess they don't want to copy Disney and do a Flight of Passage style thing

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Grundulum posted:

Come on, people. Is this thread so Disney-wholesome that we’re willing to let such an obvious “your mom” opportunity pass by unremarked?

No, I think we all know your mom is too fat to fit in any known box.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I heard the Potter ride's base ride system is essentially the same as Spider-Man and Transformers, and as being equated to the Bejing Jurassic World ride where the ride system is a tried and true one, but the ride around it throws a bunch of new poo poo at the wall (Like the moving I-Rex that chases you in the Jurassic World)

The HTTYD coaster being a Hagrid-esq ride seems short sighted but I guess they don't want to copy Disney and do a Flight of Passage style thing

The Ministry of Magic ride is using a modified version of that dark ride system so what that means is up for debate. I know there's a few level changes so that makes me think the modified version may be trackless since that seems like it would be easier to accomplish with a trackless dark ride, but that's baseless speculation on my part. This is the ride we know the least about though, mostly because of how late they pivoted to MoM from whatever Fantastic Beasts stuff was going on.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm doing a family disney trip with my kids and my wife's siblings this May and am looking for some general information. We have tickets, and a place to stay, but have no idea how best to go about the 2 days that we have there. Is anything in the initial post from 2016 still applicable or is there a new place to look?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm assuming if I buy a UOAP that it will absolutely not include Epic Universe next year?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hutzpah posted:

I'm doing a family disney trip with my kids and my wife's siblings this May and am looking for some general information. We have tickets, and a place to stay, but have no idea how best to go about the 2 days that we have there. Is anything in the initial post from 2016 still applicable or is there a new place to look?
I mean, let's start at the beginning. Which Disney?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm assuming if I buy a UOAP that it will absolutely not include Epic Universe next year?

I suspect not. Since Universal insists that Volcano Bay is the third park, anyone who had a pass at the time needed to upgrade to a 3-Park Pass. I suspect that will probably be the case with Epic, and I heard a rumor that they might not even have annual passes when it first opens.

That being said, as far as I know nothing official has been announced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah they just explicitly call them 2 and 3 park passes right now, so they've covered themselves there.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, let's start at the beginning. Which Disney?

Oh right. Disney world.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tim Whatley posted:

Safe assumption. They haven’t even committed to an opening date, there’s no way they put EU in the contract.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hutzpah posted:

Oh right. Disney world.

To be honest, 2 days is not a lot of time to explore the parks. What things does your family like? For example if you’re a Star Wars nut you’ll want to hit up Hollywood Studios for Galaxy’s Edge. If they like classic Disney stuff, then Magic Kingdom. Frozen fans? Epcot. I would go to the website and look at the attractions and prioritize what rides you want to do and go from there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hutzpah posted:

Oh right. Disney world.
Okay, so, first off: no, the OP is pretty out of date, don't trust it.

Second: Two days is not enough. If at all possible, can you make it four or five days? Otherwise, we're going to have to do some massive triage to get you to your highest priorities, because you literally cannot see all of Disney World in two days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Depending on the age of the kids, 2 days can be a good spot for your first go. I've seen families with toddlers absolutely wiped by the start of day 3 and none of them have fun.

Do a single park per day. Magic Kingdom as one since it has all the classic Disney attractions as well as the most to do, then your choice of the others depending on which one catches your fancy. Animal Kingdom would be my recommendation for the complete contrast to MK and tons of cool stuff for kids that don't require long waits. Do research the attractions at each (including character meet and greets for the kids, shows/parades/fireworks, and the big rides you want to do) and ask here for advice on planning, but don't stress too much about trying to do it all in a single day. Go in with a loose plan and try to go with the flow and relax and enjoy it. There's zero pressure to try and see it all in any number of days.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t go to any of the parks more than a day and it’s plenty of time to do what I want. Unless you gotta ride every ride it should be fine.

Disneyland is so small anyway so you can get around quicker.