Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intergrade basically gives Yuffie a more solid grounding and connection than 'some random girl you run into in a forest" which is more important when she isn't a secret character anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Terper posted:

Also a connection to Scarlet, also she gets to see destruction of Sector 7

just like cait sith....

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Tifa: "Our reactor was the first of it's kind. It really put Mt. Nibel on the map."
Me: "Monorail, monorail, monorail!"

Did the town hall have a sign about some sort of cowboy festival that explains why all the government liaisons are wearing fancy duds? I missed it going back through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Tifa: "Our reactor was the first of it's kind. It really put Mt. Nibel on the map."

Did the town hall have a sign about some sort of cowboy festival that explains why all the government liaisons are wearing fancy duds? I missed it going back through.

It was the style at the time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They were trying to cultivate a more adventurous, friendly vibe to compensate for the looming presence of the Spencer Shinra mansion

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked the throwaway line about how the only reason the town was afloat was Shinra paid exorbitant rent on the big haunted house

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Sephiroth, stomped by a giant Mako horror and taking critical damage: "Cloud, we're supposed to fight together as a team."

That's a passive aggressive comment. How is this my fault?

ImpAtom posted:

Chadley owns.

I want to give Chadley a wedgie every time I see him.

DalaranJ posted:

Chernobyl put Pripyat in the map, but you don't see people bragging about that.

quote:

Yeah, there's a little bit of that japanese love affair with cowboy gear. They all look ridiculous. Tifa, being the super-girly version of this looks very ridiculous. She's hiking up a mountain in a miniskirt, cowboy boots with this mini vest - bare midriff thingy.

One thing about the ending
I laughed when the worthless townspeople were all pointing guns at Sephiroth as if they expected to take him alive after burning the town down. Guns in FF 7 are weirdly ineffective.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Sephiroth, stomped by a giant Mako horror and taking critical damage: "Cloud, we're supposed to fight together as a team."

That is why he rules. He is the biggest nerd in the entire world. Just a huge unyielding dork.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FWIW the Traces of Telephone novel is a decent read if you haven't already.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Almost walking Cloud off a bridge, "I almost made you our tour guide"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

I've sold Mako reactors to Junon, Gongaga and North Corell!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Coffee Jones posted:

He's trying, okay?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We're not worthy of playing as Sephiroth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is kind of funny if you picture it as Cloud telling the story.

"And then Sephiroth, man, the Materia Keeper just stomped his rear end flat. Into the loving ground. He spend the entire thing in a coma on the floor while I handled most of it."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does Sephiroth's triangle attack work? I couldn't figure out what made it change. Is it based on context? One seemed to charge with regular attacks.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Coffee Jones posted:

I laughed when the worthless townspeople were all pointing guns at Sephiroth as if they expected to take him alive after burning the town down. Guns in FF 7 are weirdly ineffective.

I mean it might have helped if any of them actually tried to fire the things at any point in the 30 or so seconds it took for Sephiroth to very slowly and very ominously approach them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Who could bare to fire at such a pretty face?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How does Sephiroth's triangle attack work? I couldn't figure out what made it change. Is it based on context? One seemed to charge with regular attacks.
It is a branching combo apparently.

Re: the final scene they could have easily fixed it by having Seph cut their guns in half from the start, then they'd have a reason to not do anything

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spermando posted:

It is a branching combo apparently.

Re: the final scene they could have easily fixed it by having Seph cut their guns in half from the start, then they'd have a reason to not do anything

I mean honestly we all know bullets aren't going to do anything anyway. Have them shoot and he can just do a spinny sword thingie or something. Anything would look less silly than what we got. I guess they thought we'd be too focused on the foreground or something to notice.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I never figured out Sephiroths Parry, I thought it would be the same as Cloud's Punisher guard-counter but every time I put it up he just ate it in the face. I tried a few different instances of timing too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coffee Jones posted:

Man, I understand that perhaps the Call of Duty-style wounded-walk struggle is a reasonable way to depict that scene but them clearly just standing there until i did enough forward motions to trigger one kill, and then they stood there some more until I moved forward again really took me out of it lol

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Caidin posted:

I never figured out Sephiroths Parry, I thought it would be the same as Cloud's Punisher guard-counter but every time I put it up he just ate it in the face. I tried a few different instances of timing too
Don't hold R1. It's a toggle. And the game doesn't punish you for mashing square while in parry stance.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1756079476952183213?t=yj094RQ7ezd-4PJBawvTSQ&s=19

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know, in retrospect, having a move you call "Hell's Gate" that also emits dark energy when you use it should have tipped off the therapist at Shinra that something wasn't quite right.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Octaslash Traveler

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this game is going to kick rear end holy poo poo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gologle posted:

You know, in retrospect, having a move you call "Hell's Gate" that also emits dark energy when you use it should have tipped off the therapist at Shinra that something wasn't quite right.

You know Shinra's got to love that poo poo.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
If I recall Dissidia correctly, isn't Sephiroth programmed to use Hell's Gate on Aerith whenever she appears as an assist, regardless of what else is going on in the fight?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

I mean if Ever Crisis and Crisis Core are anything to go off of, Sephiroth had been telling the Shinra Mental Health team for years that there was something wrong about him and was met with "That's nice, kid" as a response until he just went "gently caress it."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Shinra therapist is just Palmer in Groucho glasses.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It’s going to be a long wait for the 29th.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The Shinra therapist is just Palmer in Groucho glasses.

Explains why he was terrified to see Sephiroth stalking about Shinra HQ again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean the tragedy of Sephiroth is that he wasn't just some evil guy always. If he was always laughing like a maniac and talking about how the world was imperfect then like "Oh yeah of course he's a nutjob." Sephiroth genuinely was the 'Hero', kind of a weirdo but more in just being awkward socially, which, when you've been fighting a war since you were a teenager yeah, you're gonna be a bit awkward around people.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That scene after everyone falls on Mt Nibel is pretty great, with Sephiroth staring blankly for like two seconds and then making a genuine effort to save everyone

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's a nice lad

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sephiroth did nothing wrong

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

That scene after everyone falls on Mt Nibel is pretty great, with Sephiroth staring blankly for like two seconds and then making a genuine effort to save everyone

I like to think he was having some internal monologue about the level of infrastructure Shinra had thrown down around the reactor and then the main way to it is just a big lovely rope bridge over a yawning chasm

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dreylad posted:

this game is going to kick rear end holy poo poo

I'm a die-hard ff7 fanboi and loved the remake, but the demo is on another level for me. Just playing the piano minigame was so good that I tried for an hour to perfect it (didn't manage), and then everything after just got better and better.

Like for example (spoiler for demo and original ff7) how if you know, you know about where cloud actually was, there's so many signs. When you're in the truck and "cloud" just completely behaves and moves like Zack, while the actual cloud grunt has some of his hair sticking out. Or how tifa barely reacts to seeing you again, and how cloud grunt protects tifa in a later cutscene.

The art design is also great, they really nailed putting the old, quaint set pieces into a grander setting. Fighting system also continues to own, I'm one of the few people who hated ff16s combat system, and much prefer the mix of real time fighting and pause menu magic and skills.

The next few weeks can't go by fast enough.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's not like I expected them to drop the ball on the soundtrack but all the music from the demo just kicks rear end.

And yeah the art design is great, just filling Nibelheim with people and stuff sells it as a really lived in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Just beat the demo, holy poo poo

This is the most hyped I’ve been for a video game… ever. I didn’t think my hype for FF7 Remake could be topped