Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although it wouldn't surprise me if GW has a new Land Raider model lying in wait in their model archives and they'll pop it out once they've determined the breaking point for the current ones.

Or for the 11th ed Space Marine codex. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And here I thought molds from 2009 were bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I got an old tyranid malanthrope from a friend that never got around to building it. Anyone got any ideas of what it would be a good stand-in for? It's even taller than I expected. I was thinking maybe a Toxicrene or Haruspex but neither seems like quite the right fit TBH.

OctaMurk posted:

its not just the fact that its steel-- molds are made of hardened steel and sometimes special other alloys which must be precision ground at certain surfaces to tenths of thousandths by highly paid machinists, and are expected to open and close hundreds of thousands or millions of times while contains tens of thousands psi pressure of molten plastic. many molds also have complex heated manifolds in the mold to deliver the plastic to the cavities. The design of the mold is usually done once again by highly paid designers who size those manifolds, the runner systems, place the cavities in a way that minimizes undercuts and equalizes pressures and temperatures. Each mold is practically a custom piece of equipment.

It's actually kinda crazy how much work and effort goes into getting a lil plastic space alien made

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
After a certain point, an old mold stops being lame and becomes cool again. I hope the Asurmen model never changes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

Although it wouldn't surprise me if GW has a new Land Raider model lying in wait in their model archives and they'll pop it out once they've determined the breaking point for the current ones.

Or for the 11th ed Space Marine codex. :v:

I mean they just put out a new Land Raider model, it’s just it’s the 30k version.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Land raiders are pretty iconic models, a new kit would sell like crazy. I know I would buy one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they just put out a new Land Raider model, it’s just it’s the 30k version.

Not to mention turning out multiple plastic versions of resin kits. But in that case was explicitly referring to the current 40k model. :cheeky:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Athas posted:

After a certain point, an old mold stops being lame and becomes cool again. I hope the Asurmen model never changes.

There's a good chance that in the year 2080 when GW resculpts all the other Eldar P Lords in unobtainium for the 50th Edition of Warhammer 40K that he'll be in a static throwback pose.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Spartans and Proteuses are ugly :colbert:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Every model looks cool once you paint it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Every model looks cool once you paint it

:wrong:

My models look less cool when I'm through with them.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Git gud.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I don't like the exposed top treads on the Spartan, I really like the flat top look. I wonder if theres anyone out there whos made a conversion.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whoa, GW are showing the painters names and faces in their latest Youtube painting tutorials AND allowing comments??

Somebody new got hired as their social media department lead I think.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Athas posted:

I would say that the entire 2010ish Dark Eldar range is trapped in the crap valley

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Whoa, GW are showing the painters names and faces in their latest Youtube painting tutorials AND allowing comments??

Somebody new got hired as their social media department lead I think.

I knew Louise Sugden commented on the first two but had no idea of the latter because I haven't actually checked any of them for a while now because they just look like any other painting video, but they're also too fast at the same time.

So that's an interesting change.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lostconfused posted:

:wrong:

My models look less cool when I'm through with them.

It was a bold choice to go with that super light absorbing black in a monotone scheme, representing fighting in the absence of light, but it paid off imo.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Eej posted:

I would say that the entire 2010ish Dark Eldar range is trapped in the crap valley

I recently got a box of chaos marines ca 2004 from a friend and it made me realize that ca 2000-2010 is the valley of crap for GW models. Everything after that is usually fine, and before that the retro charm sets in.

Too old to look good, too new to be retro.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

There's a good chance that in the year 2080 when GW resculpts all the other Eldar P Lords in unobtainium for the 50th Edition of Warhammer 40K that he'll be in a static throwback pose.

I'm hoping the new warp spider phoenix lord + kit + fire dragons this year turns out to be true.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

I recently got a box of chaos marines ca 2004 from a friend and it made me realize that ca 2000-2010 is the valley of crap for GW models. Everything after that is usually fine, and before that the retro charm sets in.

Too old to look good, too new to be retro.

The CSM models from that era make good parts to mix up the newer kits. The Orks extremely hold up. Basically all of the deldar are from then.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The plastic Tyranids were fine

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

The plastic Tyranids were fine

I'd even say plastic carnifex is still one of the best models GW ever made. Warriors are great too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I agree with that with the caveat that the new Tyranids are a level above the old plastic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I have a lot of nostalgia for the "mid-hammer" 2000s-2010s models. Especially pre-7th edition kits

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I feel like what counts as a bad sculpt exists along about three different axes.

1) This is a pain in the rear end to build (subcategories: inobvious or counterintuitive assembly order; fragility; poor fit and gaps that need filling).

2) When built, this is a pain in the rear end to paint.

3) This just looks bad, even when painted well.

(Secret fourth axis: Active hostility to kitbashing/reposing/customizing.)

All three of these are independent of each other. Take plastic Catachans. Sure, the mold is showing its age and they've got gap problems, but they're otherwise not difficult to assemble -- anyone can stick a torso on some legs and then stick on some arms and a head and some gubbins. The pieces are nice and thick; bits aren't gonna snap off and ping into the carpet while you're putting them together. You don't even need the instruction manual; you can just clip them off the sprue all at once to start with and then work from a pile of bits. The poses tend to be nice and open aside from the common problem of gun placement making it difficult to paint the chest, there's largely no need to fiddle with subassemblies to paint them. But they're fugly as poo poo.

I honestly think the plastic dark eldar still look great when painted, but I haven't spent enough time assembling (piercing my thumb on tiny spikes and losing tiny spindly pieces to random pings or breaks) or painting them (dealing with tiny spiky details constantly trying to catch my brush and spread paint where it's not supposed to go) to have a strong opinion on how they are with categories 1 and 2.

As for the old tyranids, they're not up to the standard of sculpt quality of modern minis, as is apparent when you put one of the old termagants next to one of the new ones, but they were fine. Reasonably easy to assemble, inhuman so the proportions don't read as hosed up, lower-detail but the detail that's there doesn't actively fight attempts to paint them well. They look like cool space bug swarms and/or giant space monsters.

I think whether something counts as a bad sculpt to any individual person is going to depend on which bad sculpt axis most bothers them. Some people prioritize being able to snip all the parts off at the start of assembly so they can work from bits piles; some people prioritize final appearance and will tolerate any level of fiddly assembly bullshit on the way there.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I put some minor effort into making a base for my big rear end Iron Warriors tank:

8"x11" paper for scale

It's made out of 4x square bases glued together. I ended up reinforcing it with some plasticard placed across the seems (using Tamiya extra thin so it chemically bonded) and then filled in some of the interior beveled edges with sprue glue. After that dried I flipped it and ran some Tamiya across the bottom seems.

It's still in the process of curing but here's some close up pics

One thing I forgot to do was prime base with PVA glue, as I've read that really exacerbates the cracking process. So I'll test that later on some bases.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Plastic Dark Eldar have the same problem all the 2000s kits in that they got huge heads and short bodies. If you compare them and Dire Avengers to the new Corsairs the difference is pretty noticeable.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eej posted:

they got huge heads and short bodies.
And that's exactly how I like my orcs.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I think it's really interesting to see the new The Old World sculpts next to the classic goofy looking skeletons or whatnot. You can tell the new sculpts are attempting to emulate the old goofy style while still looking modern and taking advantage of modern tech.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm building a Land Raider Proteus for my Grey Knights and I'm wondering if anyone makes bits that I can add onto it to make it look more Grey Knights-y. Google is failing me on this count, does anyone here know of any sources for it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rantmo posted:

I'm building a Land Raider Proteus for my Grey Knights and I'm wondering if anyone makes bits that I can add onto it to make it look more Grey Knights-y. Google is failing me on this count, does anyone here know of any sources for it?

https://blacklegionmarket.co/product/grey-knights-land-raider-door-set-1/

something like that?

Ugh you said proteus nevermind

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, that's the problem, there are no Land Raiders for sale anywhere that I could find so I've had to adapt.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Eej posted:

I agree with that with the caveat that the new Tyranids are a level above the old plastic.

the redesigns are good but the new designs are too spindly

Tyranids need to look like maybe Arika Toriyama drew them

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rantmo posted:

Yeah, that's the problem, there are no Land Raiders for sale anywhere that I could find so I've had to adapt.

i was just able to add one to the cart at the GW site, though if the model is having qa issues like foks suggest i dunno. mine are like 20 odd years old and seem fine

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
90 bucks? i dont remember that price holy poo poo,

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Huh, I hadn't realized that GW had it back in stock. Well, I'm already well into the build on this Proteus--which I got for way less than $90-- so, welp.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

Couldn't you use some of the back banner bits or the banner topper from Paladins as reliquaries, perhaps?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I suppose I could stick a book or two on it from the Paladin kit, I'll take a look when it's all built to see if there's a spot that works. I'd love, like, the flat ornaments that the Baal Predator had, or even that the Proteus has but are HH specific. Hell, I'd take some transfers at this point but even with that, the only one I can find is on Etsy and ships from the Netherlands (I'm in the US) and I just don't know that it's worth all that hassle.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/11/sunday-preview-space-marines-return-from-battling-leviathan/

For those who have been weeping bitter tears that the Space Marines haven't gotten any love as of late, then fear not. This is your time.

Next week's pre-orders have not only all of the Marine units from Leviathan in stand alone releases, the new Scouts from Kill Team are also now available on their own.

As is the Striking Scorpions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently I missed the brief period of time when Basilisk was back in stock, oh well, better luck next time I guess.

Maybe one of the retail stores nearby will manage to get some instock.