Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(wearing fake mustache) hello something awful i have been in prison for 20 years i did not vote for donald trump but the racists in prison did. how do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the walking guy is one of my favorite sagas.

I mentioned it a few pages back but a buddy of mine sent a link of someone who planned to raise money and awareness by walking across the country with a little cart:

specifically bc this guy actually did it. he walked from WA to SC and is still going (in a different direction (he is not in the ocean)).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have no life, so I created a man with even less of a life than me, and imagined a life for him. I'm kind of a saint in that way

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Martman posted:

yes, they masterfully wielded goons' weaknesses to their "advantage..." as in, they went around claiming they were beloved all the time and 99% of posters read their posts and thought "uhh ok whatever"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

KM-era DND was a fuckin cult. I got probed for being pissed that she just decided my Mennonite in-laws probably sling racial slurs casually around the dinner table in the CE thread—just speculating that they must, and responding to this idea with “dude what the gently caress” posting was over the drat line

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the fake prsioner story also tried to seque into a story about a haunted prison shower because of course it did lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i went to prison at age 19 for murder and served 27 years of my 30 year sentence and have been out for 1 year. i'm fasinated by the internet but the only exposure to it i had while inside was the e-mail and reading news sites. i want to know more about the culture and the history of the internet and learn about cool things i've missed.

i live with my 80 year old nearly blind mother and she doesnt know anything about the internet but my cousin told me to check out the reddit site but i didn't like it. he said this place might be better and i've been readind a little here and i like the conversation form here more than the reddit thing. i'm jobless and don't do much so i have a lot of time to sit and read this site, what should i start with? what internet do you suggest i read? what is the history of this site i know it has been around a long time so i'm sure you've all seen a lot of things. i know questions about my past and prison life will come up and i will answer some things but not all things.

i am earnest and sincere and my therapist says it will be good to engage with people who are interested in the same things i am. but the problem is i don't much know what i'm interested in in real life in the world. all i did inside was read books and try to survive.

i mean no harm or offense to anyone and i hope i can make friends here, my name is harvey and i hope you will be kind to me.

the "reveal"

isaboo posted:

lol, never change, goons. Like I said y'all don't disappoint, for better or for worse.

I wrote a bunch of stuff addressing various points made but realized it would just end with accusations of doubling down (and still will anyway). I get it, I've been here a long time.

Anyway, my friend "Harvey" is real, Miss Priss' adoption was real, the job is real, Cousin Todd is real (though that's not his name), and the stories about life inside are real (with a few embellishments and changes). The victim, the abuse, and the outcome are accurate but a couple of details were changed.

And ya know what, the advice and recommendations given were real, so thanks. The anime talk was wasted breath, but still appreciated.

Ain't this what it's all about, anyway?

Y'all can close the thread, gas it, nuke it from orbit, continue to dogpile, whatever. Harvey says he'll stick around so it's all good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol at referring to a made up friend as Harvey

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lolling at an allegedly fresh from prison killer acting like there's no such thing as technology or computers in prison, then posting like a very obvious SA re-reg and everyone gobbles up the bullshit for several dozen pages.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
watching oz and deciding i have a fresh new idea for a gimmick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

harveys zoo zoos posted:

don't say forbidden things like 'suck my dick', or call someone a 'punk'. a punk is someone forced to do sexual favors. they are usually small and timid and big men took advantage of them.
avoid eye contact. unless you're talking to someone directly of course. but man awkward eye contact caused a lot of brawls to jump off and worse
unless they approach you first don't talk to guards alone if you can at all help it. that looks suspicious. if you sucked up to a guard we called that 'riding the leg', so don't ride the leg
don't talk too long on the phone. it would cut off anyway after a set amount of time but drat people were so impatient they'd go wild if someone took too long

drat can't believe anyone managed to pierce the veil of secrecy and figure out the account named harvey wasn't a real ex con.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"don't be small and timid or big scary men will rape you"

"also never make eye contact, always look down at your feet like you are scared of them, that's the best way to stay safe"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Contrary to popular opinion, it's actually fine and encouraged to drop the soap

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in prison they eat mix ramen and doritos together to make a burrito

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The real prison goon was this guy

The Valuum posted:

I've been thinking about writing this thread for 2 years now and now I finally get to do it. I was released from the Michigan Department of Corrections on October 23rd, 2014. I can't remember the exact date I was incarcerated, but 2 years ago on Halloween I did some heroin and a few days later was called in for a drug test and failed. After that I was incarcerated in County Jail, then Quarantine, then a prison in Jackson, MI. So basically I did maybe 2 weeks short of 2 years. I've been on this site for years and I know SA always seems to be pretty interested in prison. I also know people on here have very strong views on prison, many of which I held, some of which I still hold. If anything I have tons of stories to tell about prison. I met some true characters and saw some crazy stuff. The media's depiction of prison is so off it's ridiculous. My whole until would be laughing at how prison was portrayed on Sons of Anarchy when it would come on. I hope maybe I can answer some questions to give people a clear idea of what state prison is really like.

you read through his posts and he's not trying to impress anyone just sharing his experience about how it sucked and you have to deal with weird and not cool problems all the god drat time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i once became obssessed with prioners last meals and i think of the guy who ordered a bunch of expensive food and then refused to eat it a lot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

the "reveal"

And the stupid fuckers in the thread wanted to set up a donation fund for him lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol at referring to a made up friend as Harvey

yep except this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aD_dZzYpI

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pentyne posted:

"don't be small and timid or big scary men will rape you"

"also never make eye contact, always look down at your feet like you are scared of them, that's the best way to stay safe"

Pre-emptively throw a pizza at your opponent to assert dominance.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2024

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah people just put up with her because they felt bad for her or just didn't feel like being mean for no reason to someone so clearly mentally ill. Funny how she thinks she was some puppetmaster lol.

Like when she would claim to make huge money off her webcomic and if you went you saw like 5 people subbed to her patreon or w/e but like...No real reason to call her out..

yeah

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i once became obssessed with prioners last meals and i think of the guy who ordered a bunch of expensive food and then refused to eat it a lot

Rookie mistake. The real hack is to request tomorrow's leftovers.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the fake prsioner story also tried to seque into a story about a haunted prison shower because of course it did lol

i regret to inform you that thread has the gbs and you shouldn’t laugh at it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a case of the gbaids...

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
great british aids

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol at the new pro-suicide silent hill game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pentyne posted:

the "reveal"

Just top to bottom fake as poo poo from word 1

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of the biggest giveaways besides the other fake as hell poo poo is he doesnt write like someone who has just been exposed to the internet and has started typing for the first time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sleng Teng posted:

There was a period of time where the Buddhist thread was pretty aggro in general, which is funny given what it is.

I mean they invented like a million different ways to kill a mother fucker so that tracks tbh

pentyne posted:

lolling at an allegedly fresh from prison killer acting like there's no such thing as technology or computers in prison, then posting like a very obvious SA re-reg and everyone gobbles up the bullshit for several dozen pages.

This is a thing though, depending how long they were in and where. I've helped a few times with setting up a phone and laptop for people fresh out, and it hits you quick how much they missed out on and didn't get a chance to learn. Obviously they see poo poo on TV and know it exists and such but reactions using stuff the first time is wild. Highly recommend volunteering for poo poo like that whenever possible.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 9, 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean they invented like a million different ways to kill a mother fucker so that tracks tbh

I guess I’m thinking in terms of what a stereotype of a western Buddhist acts like it is lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Like it’s a funny image to me for a bunch of 30 then 40 now year olds passive aggressively, sometimes active aggressively, taking potshots at each other while pretending to be chill. Call it a kind of BYOB effect.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the biggest giveaways besides the other fake as hell poo poo is he doesnt write like someone who has just been exposed to the internet and has started typing for the first time.

The casual no-caps-full-punctuation writing style gives it away. Anyone who learned to type in the 90s would either write in a super stilted formal way or in the excess punctuation, capitalize random words for emphasis Boomer style.

He tries to cornfeed it up a bit with the "the reddit site" and "what internet should I read" phrasing because he isn't creative enough to come up with something a person who missed the entire internet would say about it, also lol at "I am earnest and sincere"

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

which was noticed immediately in another thread, perhaps this one? lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

great british aids

“god save the hiv”, the sex pistols

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Babe Magnet posted:

lol at the new pro-suicide silent hill game

That game's not even pro-suicide. It wants you to know suicide is BAD, B-A-D, BAD! There's a message about how suicide is bad and you should talk to someone if you feel that way. It includes a little URL for international resources on suicide prevention with a "konami.com/games/silent hill/help" URL. They display it at the start of the game and the end of the game, plus 2 or 3 more times after playing out the main character dying, which I assume were added because they realized it was in rather poor taste to do a PT-style game "loop" where the trigger for the restart was a teen girl jumping off a building.

It's just... I don't know bonkers? It's bad because the writing is overwrought and melodramatic while also being too artificial to be relatable or realistic. You could say "oh well that's what being a teen girl is like," but the main character's abusive backstory would be on the extreme end of a Lifetime movie drama. She's not an "average" teenager dealing with normal levels of teen angst. This isn't a Bloober Team game (but it sounds like they were collaborating somewhat) but I'd say it's like if Bloober Team was mashing Life Is Strange together with P.T.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i liked the monster made out of cherry blossoms that is all

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i liked the monster made out of cherry blossoms that is all

It's a good design. I can see how the concept art itself would inspire a game.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Heath posted:

The casual no-caps-full-punctuation writing style gives it away. Anyone who learned to type in the 90s would either write in a super stilted formal way or in the excess punctuation, capitalize random words for emphasis Boomer style.

He tries to cornfeed it up a bit with the "the reddit site" and "what internet should I read" phrasing because he isn't creative enough to come up with something a person who missed the entire internet would say about it, also lol at "I am earnest and sincere"

double spacing after the period is wrong and I will not have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

That game's not even pro-suicide. It wants you to know suicide is BAD, B-A-D, BAD! There's a message about how suicide is bad and you should talk to someone if you feel that way. It includes a little URL for international resources on suicide prevention with a "konami.com/games/silent hill/help" URL. They display it at the start of the game and the end of the game, plus 2 or 3 more times after playing out the main character dying, which I assume were added because they realized it was in rather poor taste to do a PT-style game "loop" where the trigger for the restart was a teen girl jumping off a building.

yeah maybe "pro-suicide" isn't entirely accurate but it definitely is at the very least "suicide-neutral", even if by accident. For the game's constant preaching that "you need to reach out! please talk to anyone! reaching out is literally the only thing you have to do!" it sure does spend 2 hours and half a dozen cutscenes having the primary side character look directly at the main character like "suicide is cool. look how beautiful it is when people kill themselves. my art would be more popular if I killed myself. should I kill myself? I'm going to kill myself." and the main character's just like "cool."

The reason I said pro-suicide mostly boils down to how the suicide of the "friend" character is treated, a lot of focus on the beauty of death and how great it must be to be remembered as beautiful forever like the cherry blossom trees. also here's a pamphlet on the ancient samurai ritual of harakiri, suicide with honor brought upon by the injustices of society. Yeah yeah I get that it's ironic and that it's not actually true and here's a big scary monster to prove our point but they shoot themselves in the foot with it at the end. Hell, the main character, who caused her "friend" to commit suicide in the first place by spreading rumors cause she was jealous a third friend was being "stolen" from her, eventually gets everything she wants anyway; her art rival is dead, her best friend is all hers again, and she gets to go shopping lol. She doesn't even learn anything from this experience! The titular "short message" presented at the start of the game is some dumb poo poo about only the STRONGEST animals go it alone, you're a dumb weak bitch if you have to rely on a social network. You'd expect it would subvert that or play with it at the end, but no, the main character's just like "Yeah that's all actually still true but I don't personally care." lmfao

I don't really like making big posts about games like this, but a lot of the stuff they were going for hit close to home in ways I hosed with, so this experience has been sitting in the back of my mind all day. I don't think the problems with it come from malice, just incompetent "how-do-you-do-fellow-kids" please think I'm cool and hip desperation.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's just... I don't know bonkers? It's bad because the writing is overwrought and melodramatic while also being too artificial to be relatable or realistic. You could say "oh well that's what being a teen girl is like," but the main character's abusive backstory would be on the extreme end of a Lifetime movie drama.

her character is basically the google search results for a bunch of ptsd complications mashed together, and not much else. the backstory stuff was absolutely added toward the end in an attempt to make her just not a complete monster lol.

I don't think Bloober team is involved in any real way, but with the way they handled The Medium you'd think they were

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2024