Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I just watched the first two alien movies for the first time in like 25 years. AMA

What stood out now that you don't recall from 25 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thesaurus posted:

What about Prometheus? I'm just relying on GBS threads for my life decisions

I left the theater after seeing Prometheus thinking "this would've been a better Blade Runner spinoff about replicants being off-world than an Alien prequel."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't think I'll ever recover from that idiotic crew in Prometheus.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MrMojok posted:

Just realized how badly I need a Starship Troopers Mobile Infantry crossover with aliens/predator.

Not where they’re dressed up like colonial marines, either.

No, they’ll be wearing the full-body “800 pound gorilla” powersuits from the original text.

In the war against the xenomorphs, of course in many cases the navy will just nuke a planet. It’s the only way to be sure.

Other times, they will want to actually capture a warrior or even a queen, and this is where Rico’s Roughnecks come in.

Everybody drops, everybody fights.

GW had you covered:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thesaurus posted:

Yes. What movie, if any, should I watch next? If reviews are to be believed, the 3rd sucks? I'm not sure I want to ruin the good vibes I've got

The thread consensus seems to be that Alien 3 Assembly Cut is a decent movie (I like it quite a bit) after you get over the initial shock in the beginning. I don't care for Resurrection, or actually anything else after. I have developed a bias against prequels and origin stories over the past 30 years where almost all of them suck.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

This is a perfectly healthy decision, too, I'm just saying no one has to approach Alien3 and beyond all like :ohdear: "b-b-but what if they're bad, my precious regard for the first two Aliens(es) might be shattered!"

Alien and Aliens are way too awesome to be ruined by lovely sequels. Hell, if anything, seeing a bunch of filmmakers (some of them rather notable) consistently try and fail over multiple decades at producing a followup that the consensus could get behind will likely just increase one's appreciation at how the first two just nailed it right out the gate.
I feel that the worst part about Aliens 3 is that, it tries to be both the first and second movie in a way and it's an impossible task to compete with those two movies since they're such brilliant movies and that the ideas they tried to explore fell short because of that.
If it wasn't an aliens movie it would've been good, but because of the shadow it resides under it's hard to be anything but a failed attempt at capturing the greatness of the two previous installations

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The thread consensus seems to be that Alien 3 Assembly Cut is a decent movie

I think it would be fairer to say that thread consensus is that the Alien 3 Assembly Cut is superior to the regular theatrical cut. (It is, if you must watch it watch this version only.)

As to whether it makes the film decent is still very much a matter for spirited debate.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Whatever version you watch, Alien 3 is just so unrelentingly miserable why even bother?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Whatever version you watch, Alien 3 is just so unrelentingly miserable why even bother?

There’s a really sick speech right before they hunt the alien

https://youtu.be/p8rb3VoxIpI?si=SQdNJXQkshzaQXAq

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

I think it would be fairer to say that thread consensus is that the Alien 3 Assembly Cut is superior to the regular theatrical cut. (It is, if you must watch it watch this version only.)

As to whether it makes the film decent is still very much a matter for spirited debate.

Yeah, I'll give you that. I think it's a decent movie. But it took quite a few watchings of it and discussion in here to make me appreciate it more.

I'm quite certain that a whole lot more people would like Alien 3 if it didn't start off with oh btw, the only other main characters who survived the last movie are dead immediately! Toodles!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

There’s a really sick speech right before they hunt the alien

https://youtu.be/p8rb3VoxIpI?si=SQdNJXQkshzaQXAq

Best line and delivery of said line in the movie right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocU86emy-Bw

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Xenomrph posted:

Goddamn they didn’t even bother filing the serial numbers off, those are straight up capital-A Aliens.

Back in the day I sold my older brother on Aliens (at that point his main point of familiarity with the series was Alien3) by describing it to him as "Contra: The Movie."

It worked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh7pdsHCDZs&t=86s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DlFtzMd_-Y

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I find Alien 3 unforgiveable because a couple of days after the traumatic events of Aliens, and the day after the death of Hicks and Newt, Ripley gets horny and dewy eyed for Charles Dance after bonding over the autopsy of Newt's mangled corpse they conducted together. Also the movie passes over sexual assault metaphors for an actual literal attempted sexual assault.

(Spoilering because it looks like we might have someone active in the thread who hasn't yet seen it yet.)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
HBO 2 is showing Aliens.

My thoughts are now relevant to this thread.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aliens is such a great movie to hop in at any point

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Aliens is such a great movie to hop in at any point

:hmmyes:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I used to watch Alien3 and listen to Nine Inch Nails and Alice In Chains during the 90s.

No, it was not a happy time for me.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

redshirt posted:

Have you watched Scavengers Reign?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Alien 3 is ok, I enjoyed it, but it should have escalated things like Aliens did compared to Alien. It should have been a full scale natural disaster type movie. Alien 3 was a small scale slasher a bit too similar to Alien.

The name is dumb too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I thought this thread was cooler with Alien3. I quite enjoyed it even though it's way more flawed than the first two masterpieces. I love Fincher's aesthetic. Maybe it's just the prevalence of bald British guys and Holt McCallany but I get a real punk-rock feel from his work around that time. The beginning (killing off Hicks and Newt) sucked and the ending was a mess but I felt it did a somewhat faithful nod to the horror of the first film updated for the 90s, and I totally disagree that it was trying to be both movies.

It's Resurrection that's irredeemable dogshit IMO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo HBO 2 is on a tear. Right after Aliens they're showing Robocop.

:hellyeah:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

redshirt posted:

What stood out now that you don't recall from 25 years ago?

I only retained a blurred memory of random scenes from both movies mixed together. Like dude getting impaled by the queen and the loader battle, and the marine saying game over man, things jumping onto people's faces... I also thought I remembered stuff that wasn't even in the movies?

I appreciated the slow building pace of Alien, which probably would have been lost on me as a young kid just wanting a battle.

I also enjoyed the corporate background for the whole thing. Definitely didn't notice that at the time.

Thank you thread for keeping the dream of alien(s) alive!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I remember seeing the Sentry Gun tunnel scene in Aliens as a wee lad, and then not seeing it again for a loooooong time. Seriously thought I dreamed it or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Android Apocalypse posted:

Holy poo poo HBO 2 is on a tear. Right after Aliens they're showing Robocop.

:hellyeah:

Jackpot.

edit: drat, wide awake and playing a game. Gonna turn on Alien 3 (assembly cut) in the background for a while.
edit2: or maybe Aliens (director's cut)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 9, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Having watched Alien on tv in 1981 or so, and Aliens as a teenager in the cinema, Alien 3 made me feel like when all your equipment gets taken away in a video game.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks thread, learning that Aliens is on Max, I watched the first 10 minutes last night, late. Planning on watching the rest this weekend.

Amusingly, I own the movie on DVD, but for some reason its so much easier to watch anything if it's streaming or on TV.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At least you have a physical copy for when whatever streaming service inexplicably pulls it from their catalog later in the future.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Prey director is directing a new, standalone Predator film called Badlands

https://deadline.com/2024/02/dan-trachtenberg-predator-movie-badlands-1235820417/amp/

YES! YES! YES!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
:krad:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
You know it's gonna be a Wild West setting

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cessna posted:

GW had you covered:

I would watch the everloving poo poo out of a Space Hulk movie made by James Cameron

MrMojok posted:

Prey director is directing a new, standalone Predator film called Badlands

https://deadline.com/2024/02/dan-trachtenberg-predator-movie-badlands-1235820417/amp/

YES! YES! YES!

:hfive: I didnt know that I desperately needed to see cowboys fight Predators until right now

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

What if it's based on that kung fu tv show of into the badlands? Wu shu fights against predators.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It actually take place in the Badlands National Park in South Dakota.

There's not much there so the movie will mostly be an internal journey and coming of age story for the predator who finds himself among the loneliness.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

Hollywood Reporter is saying it’s set “sometime in the future”.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It actually take place in the Badlands National Park in South Dakota.

There's not much there so the movie will mostly be an internal journey and coming of age story for the predator who finds himself among the loneliness.

I think they've found lots of dinosaur fossils there. I'm picturing the opening scene now:

EXT. Excavation site in Badlands - Day

PALEONTOLOGIST
Goodness gracious, we've hit the motherload! Look at this... this Triceratops head!

ASSISTANT
Yes! And this looks like a Parasauralophus!

PALEONTOLOGIST
Good catch! And I think this one might be a femur for perhaps a Stegosaurus.

ASSISTANT
Say, what do you suppose this is...

PALEONTOLOGIST
That looks like... er....

WE SEE the assistant slowly turn a skull over. The face of it APPEARS to have...

...MANDABLES?

PALEONTOLOGIST
One UGLY motherfucker.

SMASH CUT. Title Card: BADLANDS. Cue Alan Silvestri theme.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Vampire Panties posted:

:hfive: I didnt know that I desperately needed to see cowboys fight Predators until right now

The Good, the Bad, and the One Ugly Motherfucker

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Android Apocalypse posted:

At least you have a physical copy for when whatever streaming service inexplicably pulls it from their catalog later in the future.

This reminds me, there's a raw amateur 1080p scan of a dirty 35mm film print of Aliens making the rounds. Of course it's :filez: so no linky but it's not too hard to find.

Admittedly there's a sense of redundancy to it considering Aliens is already a famously grainy, gritty looking movie, but it's great to see regardless. And of course it has the original optical stereo track!

Maybe I'm just subconsciously imagining it being projected on a theater wall but the image just comes off "bigger" than the 1080p Bluray somehow.

(^ Oh, who'd a thunk, this shot was always teal and orange :v: )

More screencaps

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Dammit my favorite threads are merging again.

TBH it happens every couple months.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

redshirt posted:

Theres a lot to like in Prometheus (imo) but the characters in that movie being just the dumbest motherfuckers ever is just a fridge too far. i even like Covenant a fair bit but also suffers from the dumb motherfucker effect a few times. Your characters having IQ's barely above room temperature is not a plot device!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well on the other hand, they’ve never seen Alien or its various sequels and spinoffs.