Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would give up paying even more for health insurance lol

Take my private health insurance. Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hot take: It's really unfortunate that tech poo poo is p much the only way left to get a good standard of living without generational wealth and all the tech jobs being cut and replaced with poo poo that can't support human life is bad but was inevitable since tech workers were bamboozled into thinking they didn't need unions

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lot of jobs with unions still cant offer a good standard of living

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Yet another in the series of non-stop layoffs over multiple years means the economy is stronger than ever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

lot of jobs with unions still cant offer a good standard of living

this is fair

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh yay, I'm a statistic now (just got laid off)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Benagain posted:

Oh yay, I'm a statistic now (just got laid off)

condolences, I hope you're able to find something else soon

man I just got laid off last year and my new company is showing no signs of wanting to do layoffs anytime soon and I'm still scared because this poo poo is scary. I've got two kids

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
apparently one of the electrician local unions near me has a 300+ application backlog.

anyone know the numbers on these things? maybe i just live in a hot market.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Was it sucralose or stevia that was tied last year to high blood pressure at a rate almost as bad as smoking

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

err posted:

apparently one of the electrician local unions near me has a 300+ application backlog.

anyone know the numbers on these things? maybe i just live in a hot market.

Don't you need to, like, do an apprenticeship or something to be an electrician

err
Apr 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

Don't you need to, like, do an apprenticeship or something to be an electrician

it's for whatever the 'entry level' is. it was on the local news. it requires some training and education which was surprising to see it that high.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Potato Salad posted:

Was it sucralose or stevia that was tied last year to high blood pressure at a rate almost as bad as smoking

stevia lowers blood pressure a little

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

err posted:

it's for whatever the 'entry level' is. it was on the local news. it requires some training and education which was surprising to see it that high.

some unions will admit helpers/general laborers but you usually need some competence to start your apprenticeship

electrician is one of the better trades. you cant outsource final installation to overseas and it's too important to hire some uncertified guy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also for construction work it isn't too bad since most of the structure you'll be working on is complete

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Employment is down but number is up and that is what matters

err
Apr 11, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

some unions will admit helpers/general laborers but you usually need some competence to start your apprenticeship

electrician is one of the better trades. you cant outsource final installation to overseas and it's too important to hire some uncertified guy.

how competitive is it? with the amount of hours required, it seems like the unions wouldnt be able to take on many people

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Employment is down but number is up and that is what matters

employment is all time highs too. god bless america

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

err posted:

how competitive is it? with the amount of hours required, it seems like the unions wouldnt be able to take on many people

don't know. contact IBEW. in the (non-electrician) union shop I worked, the max ratio of apprentices/journeyman was written into the union contract, either 1:4 or 1:5 i forget.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

RadiRoot posted:

employment is all time highs too. god bless america

so are deaths

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

that's why there are so many idiot computer touchers here

shut up landlord

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The job market is full of optimism

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

loquacius posted:

hot take: It's really unfortunate that tech poo poo is p much the only way left to get a good standard of living without generational wealth and all the tech jobs being cut and replaced with poo poo that can't support human life is bad but was inevitable since tech workers were bamboozled into thinking they didn't need unions
I feel like there's a little bit of a weird gap with what people percieve as good career paths and what actually exist. Like my life took a weird direction after I decided research wasn't for me, and I somehow ended up in construction inspection while just applying around. And there's actually a lot of p decent money making blue collar jobs out there, the job I went into technically only required a highschool degree to start, you were basically just running standardized equipment to test concrete or w/e so anyone could realistically do it, but there was a fairly huge opportunity for advancement with certifications and such which was all book smart memorizing/testing stuff that played off my science background to do laboratory testing of soils and materials. Within a year or so I was making about 60-70k (with overtime) and I hung out there for a bit and eventually transitioned from that into major QA stuff on big projects, now I work at a DOE site in QA making p good money with a job that's mostly reading stuff and sending emails telling everyone else they're doing their jobs wrong.

You don't really hear about stuff like that much, it's either all straight tech/engineering, office jobs, or you work in retail/food service. But like, even the base job was a good one. My science job at a national lab straight out of grad school was paying me 45k/yr salary, so no OT pay (but p commonly working very long weeks/weekends), the job that only required a highschool degree was getting my 50% more than that after passing a couple certifications that probably anyone who could complete a 4 year should be able to do with minimal studying. Hell from experience adjacent to general construction projects I can tell you the guys that sit around on the heavy equipment all day just rolling back and forth (operators) make $$$$$ and their project loads are often set up so they make a ton of OT during busy seasons and then get weeks or even months off during times when weather isn't great. I know "trades" are all the rage these days but you can make some decent money even going into some pretty no questions asked blue collar work.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

loquacius posted:

Union factory jobs often pay well (not six figgie well but good enough for us uncoded plebs). Downside is there are roughly seven factories left between the Rio Grande and the North Pole so good luck getting one

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oooooooffffffff

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

also gently caress cisco charging $30000 for 10 year old switches that take 30 mins to boot up for some unknown reason

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

loquacius posted:

I think tech did offer a unique sort of social bargain for atomized people who generally aren't super outgoing/extroverted/want to be outside/etc.

It's not, and hasn't ever been, the only way for a comfortable standard of living though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's getting hot in here

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

That'll buff right out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ALL TIME HIGHS! $CSCO stocks UP UP UP!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Not a "full cisco" but somehow the Grammarly plug in had 1000 employees and they laid off 230. Enjoy this insanity from techcrunch:

"Grammarly is laying off 230 employees worldwide as part of a “business restructuring,” the company announced this week. The layoffs are part of Grammarly’s efforts to advance its focus on “the AI-enabled workplace of the future,” the company says.

Impacted employees will receive a minimum of three months’ base pay, along with health insurance benefits as applicable to their locations.

The memo says Grammarly grew its team from 200 to 1,000 employees over the past five years, and that in that time, the company has seen changes in the industry and global environment, including the war in Ukraine and a “new age of AI.” Roy-Chowdhury says these changes have challenged the company to be more “strategic.”

Back in November 2021, Grammarly raised $200 million in funding at a $13 billion valuation. "

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Guys don't worry Nvidia has a set of keys so large and so jangly with "AI" crudely scrawled on the tag that it is propping up the entire economy we'll all be fine, forever

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sleep with the vicious posted:

Not a "full cisco" but somehow the Grammarly plug in had 1000 employees and they laid off 230. Enjoy this insanity from techcrunch:

"Grammarly is laying off 230 employees worldwide as part of a “business restructuring,” the company announced this week. The layoffs are part of Grammarly’s efforts to advance its focus on “the AI-enabled workplace of the future,” the company says.

Impacted employees will receive a minimum of three months’ base pay, along with health insurance benefits as applicable to their locations.

The memo says Grammarly grew its team from 200 to 1,000 employees over the past five years, and that in that time, the company has seen changes in the industry and global environment, including the war in Ukraine and a “new age of AI.” Roy-Chowdhury says these changes have challenged the company to be more “strategic.”

Back in November 2021, Grammarly raised $200 million in funding at a $13 billion valuation. "

1000 employees for a grammar checker

err
Apr 11, 2005

blaming declines in spell check usage because of the war in ukraine

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
770 employees now, due to the war in Ukraine apparently?? And how much of that two hundred million dollars can they possibly have burned through. What the gently caress

My kids daycare providers are struggling and it still costs us all thousands of dollars a month but at least Grammarly can employ thousands and Boeing can endanger us all on every loving plane ride

My friend from university just bought a new Ford Raptor and has been unemployed for months.

I hate this lovely loving society so much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Praying for Putin to finish the fight in Ukraine before any more computer touchers lose their jobs

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Praying for Putin to finish the fight in Ukraine before any more computer touchers lose their jobs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sleep with the vicious posted:

lmao wtf

err
Apr 11, 2005

Many millennials are priced out of even modest starter homes and are looking at being perpetual renters that have to move every 1-3 years. You know they’re going to raise your rent at lease end 10%-20% because they know you won’t move over $100-$200 a month.

It doesn’t help that large rental companies basically use feedback loop algorithms to do pricing which results in a quasi collusion where they all agree not to compete with each other in order to keep rent higher than it should be.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bought car tires at walmart and scheduled an eye exam at target. this is america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

err posted:

It doesn’t help that large rental companies basically use feedback loop algorithms to do pricing which results in a quasi collusion where they all agree not to compete with each other in order to keep rent higher than it should be.

bro - theres nothing quasi about it.