Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ryanrs posted:

If it's better and cheaper, link it.

$50 Vevor drill drawers.

(and buy three and relabel two for metric and number/letter before they decide to make it cheaper and downgrade the materials)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm sure in a year or so after they're done establishing their brand, quality will slide. Right now I'm pretty happy with the Vevor branded vise, tube bender, drill drawer and English wheel I've gotten in the last 4 months or so

Some knock off vevor akro bins arrived too they seem higher quality than the harbor freight ones I bought over Christmas

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The five drawer model I linked to on the previous page comes with matching blank labels for exactly this purpose

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh hell yeah because I have a bunch of metric tooling and those various drawers are gonna need new labels.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Bay area metal goons, do you have a shop you can recommend for making small one-off parts? We recently got a manual tube bender we're using for small diameter copper tubing, and we need a custom bending die in a small bending radius, something like this in alloy steel.

The part is really simple; simple enough that my go-to shop wouldn't be interested in a job this small.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For hollow, copper tubing* you could probably just 3D print it in virtually any material** with an infill set at 98%

Metal will last you longer, obviously, but you can get it 3D printed today

* I know tubing by definition is hollow, just clarifying it probably wouldn't work well for rod
**That's not TPU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Hadlock posted:

For hollow, copper tubing* you could probably just 3D print it in virtually any material** with an infill set at 98%

Metal will last you longer, obviously, but you can get it 3D printed today

* I know tubing by definition is hollow, just clarifying it probably wouldn't work well for rod
**That's not TPU

I'm going to try 3d printing, but I don't have high hopes for it. The reason I need this die is to bend 3/8" tube to a very tight radius (~1.5 diameters, or 5/8").

Bending to 1-1/8" was no problem, but the tube crushed itself to poo poo bending to a 3/4". I filled the tube with sand to support it internally, which worked but increased the bending force substantially.

https://www.trick-tools.com/HB1-Small-Diameter-Hand-Tubing-Bender-18425

The bending die is clamped through the central bore to a platform by a flathead screw, so it's supported at 90 degrees to the clamping force, not braced directly. I'll try 3d printing one, but this needs to survive 150+ bends for this project, many of which are 180 degrees, and I doubt it will hold up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I hadn't considered filling it with sand

Maybe try printing one and see if it works. If that works print 38 more overnight (1 or 50 can print overnight, probably) and then just swap it out every 4 bends? For sand filled I'd go with abs or petg but I'm just wild guessing.

Tangentially
I've seen some guys have good luck doing bead roller dies for 3003 aluminum was looking at doing the same but haven't had the opportunity yet on my project

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
You got a sketch? I think I have a couple ~1.25" slugs in 1144 or some other non-mild steel, would need to poke thru the bins

For copper tube even aluminum would likely be 100% fine until you dropped it or bonked it with a tool or something

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 26, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

Bay area metal goons, do you have a shop you can recommend for making small one-off parts?

Send it straight to China using a broker like 3D Hubs or Xometry. There are a number of others. Upload your Solidworks SLDPRT or STEP file, and get an instant quote.

Every time I've used these places to offshore 1-off CNC parts, they have over-delivered wrt quality.

For example, I uploaded a this part as a raw STEP file, no drawing, no tolerances or surface finish, just default non-cosmetic / economy anodizing:

Cost was $240, about half was for embellishments (the 'R' and anodizing). Without those cosmetic bits, I think the base cost was more like $130. This was from Hubs.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Seriously, how did they put the brushed finish on the bottom of the cavity?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Vevor make pretty decent kit, or they put their name on alright stuff at least.

I have been very happy with all my Vevor stuff; that comes with an enormous * in that it was the same price or cheaper than what I can get at harbor freight; and I'm expecting "good" out of HF's (in?)famous good/better/best methodology

For stuff that's largely just welded steel or cast iron or whatever, 6" bench vise, tube bender, etc; Vevor is rapidly becoming my go to brand, especially since it shows up at my door and I don't have to schlep across town to HF

HF Bauer, especially any products announced in the last couple years, is a massive step up in quality for... a 20% premium? Haven't bought any of their Hercules or icon premium stuff yet

I've been seeing a lot of "Wen" branded stuff, seems... Ok? Maybe half of quarter step down from Bauer

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hadlock posted:

I've been seeing a lot of "Wen" branded stuff, seems... Ok? Maybe half of quarter step down from Bauer

Wen’s benchtop drill presses (and likely some other stuff I haven’t noticed) are pit mainstays in combat robotics. A buddy of mine loves his.

The only reason I don’t have one is because I wanted grizzly green in my shop.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Seriously, how did they put the brushed finish on the bottom of the cavity?

you sure they didn't ream a through hole and then interference fit a plug in there

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ha ha, yes.

It's a block plate at the bottom of an A/C refrigerant pipe. If it didn't form a hermetic seal, it'd weep PAG oil.

(It replaced a welded plate that had some porosity, and therefore weeped PAG oil.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cast iron has 2-4 times as much carbon as high-carbon steel.

1) does that mean it can be heat treated and quench hardened like high-carbon steel?
2) can you make a sharp -- albeit brittle -- knife out of cast iron, and will it hold an edge?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Cast iron isn't steel. On cooling, the high levels of carbon turn into stuff like graphite flakes and brittle iron carbide. The resulting composition and grain structure are very different from those used in knife steels. The edge will chip and break very easily.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

1) does that mean it can be heat treated and quench hardened like high-carbon steel?
2) can you make a sharp -- albeit brittle -- knife out of cast iron, and will it hold an edge?

https://dl.asminternational.org/handbooks/edited-volume/49/chapter-abstract/604956/Heat-Treating-of-Cast-Irons?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There are a bunch of different formulations of cast iron and the way that, say, a cast iron skillet is formulated and heat treated is quite different from that of, say, a cast iron camshaft in an engine. I'm sure an experienced metallurgist could come up with a cast iron part that nominally holds a sharp edge better than a piece of soft copper while being less brittle than glass-hard quenched non-annealed steel (like a drill bit, ever snapped one of those? They're quite fragile), but it's definitely not a good material for doing that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I were going to make a viral knife YouTube video to explore that topic it kind of like like "malleable cast iron" might be the best place to start, but that's entirely by reading the Wikipedia descriptions. Also your heat treating process is like, 900c for multiple days so good luck with that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"I made a SUPER SHARP KNIFE from this CAST IRON PAN and then THIS HAPPENED"

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

"I made a SUPER SHARP KNIFE from this CAST IRON PAN and then THIS HAPPENED"

Most of the video consists of his wife beating his rear end for destroying her favorite cast iron skillet that has been passed down for generations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I STABBED MY HUSBAND for making a knife out of grandma's CAST IRON PAN using this ONE WEIRD TRICK

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We have some of these natural gas fittings in the lab.

Can a small handheld propane torch like this one, when equipped with the proper hose fittings, burn natural gas effectively? We would just be using it for general small-scale heating purposes where I don't want to set up/use up the acetylene.

https://www.amazon.com/BISupply-Hand-Held-Torch-Propane/dp/B08FYV8JPP

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My experience with nat gas vs. propane is that you'll be underwhelmed with the results. The good thing is stuff made for propane have smaller orifices than natural gas, so you can open them up with small drill bits (I use a letter set) until you get the correct/sufficient gas flow.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Duct tape a pistol grip to a huge fisher burner, imo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what's the supply pressure on the lab gas? I remember using lab Bunsen burners in high school and you opened the valve all the way for just an adequate flame.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

what's the supply pressure on the lab gas? I remember using lab Bunsen burners in high school and you opened the valve all the way for just an adequate flame.

Gas at the meter for your house is about 8" of water. The lovely little bunsen burner pipes in your HS lab are probably 1-2".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll save everyone the Google;

27.7 inches of water column (wc) pressure in 1 PSI of pressure. 7"wc is about 1/4 PSI. This is the normal pressure that household natural gas is delivered.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hadlock posted:

I'll save everyone the Google;

27.7 inches of water column (wc) pressure in 1 PSI of pressure. 7"wc is about 1/4 PSI. This is the normal pressure that household natural gas is delivered.

For those who doubly don't want to do the gas flow and energy calcs, the lovely gasflow can still support a 3-4k BTU/hour bunsen burner, which is enough to do more less whatever lab you were assigned in class. Or burn little pieces of paper you folded up because you're bored and failed the lab because you hosed up the titration section.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Can a small handheld propane torch like this one, when equipped with the proper hose fittings, burn natural gas effectively?
Yes

quote:

We would just be using it for general small-scale heating purposes where I don't want to set up/use up the acetylene.
You'd be better served by a hot air gun.

These little taps provide enough natural gas to be good substitutes for alcohol or spirit burners, which have anemic heat output.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

For those who doubly don't want to do the gas flow and energy calcs, the lovely gasflow can still support a 3-4k BTU/hour bunsen burner, which is enough to do more less whatever lab you were assigned in class. Or burn little pieces of paper you folded up because you're bored and failed the lab because you hosed up the titration section.

Sorry, not anemic heat output, PATHETIC heat output.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I've come to the conclusion that I need a better way to cut mild steel metal tubing to size. Initially I was using a 3" handheld angle grinder and now I have three 4" models, one is a dedicated cut off wheel, but cutting stuff like 1" and especially 1.5" square tubing I'm just dogshit at. Previously I'd been cutting 0.50 square tubing with no issue because you can just zip through that with the grinder and touch it up with the flapper.

If I go to harbor freight with, uh, I'd like to spend $100, but I'm guessing I need to spend $150, and $200 is the correct value, how do I get excellent cuts?

I almost exclusively buy my tubing in 10' lengths and do ether 90° or 45° cuts. Do I want a chop saw or a band saw thing or what. Trying to cut it so I can just touch it briefly with the grinder and then tack it in place with the welder, or what's the correct thing

Today I managed to weld, uh, 85% of the frame of a garage organizer together, but I'm realizing I don't have the accuracy to cut the piece that connects my two vertical uprights together without a lot of loving around with a flapper disc in the vise

ha;lp

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 12, 2024

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

at my last job, we had an abrasive cutoff saw that I mostly used for cutting strut channel. Worked like a charm, left pretty clean edges with ferociously sharp burrs.

at my current job, we have access to a cold saw, but that's probably a lil' bit north of that price range

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hmm yeah so that jives pretty close with my guesstimates; bauer is $150 and Hercules is $190 for a cut off saw. Ok so I'm roughly on the right track

I see people like Colin Furze using a band saw to cut his stuff. Is this because it's better/more accurate, or simply because he needs to cut a 6x6" tube steel thing

Looks like you can get a "universal" vertical stand for the bandsaw to use it like a traditional woodworking saw, is this something to consider? Or am I trying to squeeze too much utility out of one tool here. Adam Savage got a vertical stand for his and seems to not hate it

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Hmm yeah so that jives pretty close with my guesstimates; bauer is $150 and Hercules is $190 for a cut off saw. Ok so I'm roughly on the right track

I see people like Colin Furze using a band saw to cut his stuff. Is this because it's better/more accurate, or simply because he needs to cut a 6x6" tube steel thing

Looks like you can get a "universal" vertical stand for the bandsaw to use it like a traditional woodworking saw, is this something to consider? Or am I trying to squeeze too much utility out of one tool here. Adam Savage got a vertical stand for his and seems to not hate it

What about a port-a-band? They make bench mounts for them too so they cane be fixed. Might give you a good degree of flexibility.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Yooper posted:

What about a port-a-band? They make bench mounts for them too so they cane be fixed. Might give you a good degree of flexibility.

Yeah this is the way. For production at some point something like an Ellis may make sense but every shop I've been in has a vertical portaband rig somewhere convenient for hand cutting. Wiring a foot pedal in is nice for convenience.

Abrasive chop saws cut great but also smelly and dirty and leave larger burrs. Id consider a chop saw a "cheaper" cut, but for occasional/intermittent cutting id prefer a portaband.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 12, 2024

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a band saw that can switch from vertical to drop. It's great.

One huge upside vs the chop saw is its quiet and doesn't throw sparks.

I had used a portaband for years and never could get straight cuts with it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

honda whisperer posted:

I've got a band saw that can switch from vertical to drop. It's great.

One huge upside vs the chop saw is its quiet and doesn't throw sparks.

I had used a portaband for years and never could get straight cuts with it.
A portaband is great for cutting things on site, a horizontal band saw is the best for cutting it straight. The abrasive chop makes good cuts but leaves small pieces too hot to handle for a few minutes.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Drop saws are also great because they can cut way more stuff than an abrasive chop saw, I've thrown 8"x6" aluminum bar in one and you can turn it on and walk away. I've never used a portaband rigged up as a drop saw but I can see it being nice.

The chop saw is faster and while it's louder, messier, and leaves a fat burr it also loads what you're cutting less and you have a little more control. Trying to cut thin angle on a drop saw can tweak the legs and bend things, never had that issue with a chop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Chop saw are loud and obnoxious, but they cut steel pretty fast.
Watch for sparks and don't use it near flammable poo poo. I was using a small parts washer last month and left a bunch of poo poo to dry on some oil absorbent pads. A while later a dude went to cut some poo poo and the sparks caught the table on fire.
The parts washer is "portable" in that it doesn't really have a permanent home, but that table is/was convenient at the time but the chop saw stays in its spot 99.999999% of the time.