Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Still remembering the time somebody with a steven universe av went on a tear about LESBIAN CHARACTERS FOR MEN TO FAP TO when i said i liked the lesbians in fire emblem three houses, and when i made fun of their steven universe av a bunch of people went WOAH... TOO FAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

Still remembering the time somebody with a steven universe av went on a tear about LESBIAN CHARACTERS FOR MEN TO FAP TO when i said i liked the lesbians in fire emblem three houses, and when i made fun of their steven universe av a bunch of people went WOAH... TOO FAR

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Id think steven universe fans would want more shows with mostly well written LGBTQ content. Steven universe walked so other animated shows could run/fly. .
I think gay stuff was in cartoons before steven universe

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

where the chud content creators at

They are in my subscription feed op

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Would like to thank the creators of renowned pro-nazi chud cartoon Steven Universe for inventing gay

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

Would like to thank the creators of renowned pro-nazi chud cartoon Steven Universe for inventing gay

thuis is what james somerton died for

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it's you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fVhbYOSQM

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Watched this earlier and lol at the plot

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao that this whole game turns out to just be Hungarian fanfiction about an AU where the Germans and Allies team up to fight the true villain: Russia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

gay (positive) already existed but they invented gay (negative)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was mad at the writers of spongebob because spongebob had a splinter and it was gross so the writer must be beheaded

I mean it was gross. But thats quite the overreaction.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I've seen some very touching and very relatable depictions of LGBT issues and people in Japanese media, so I don't really get why people always pick Japanese stuff apart for not being progressive enough in regards to that

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have the power, the power to watch stuff outside of kids cartoons for queer media.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

lmao that this whole game turns out to just be Hungarian fanfiction about an AU where the Germans and Allies team up to fight the true villain: Russia.

all the loving, triumphant shots of the us flag waving along with the iron cross, side-by-side, are insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whirling posted:

I've seen some very touching and very relatable depictions of LGBT issues and people in Japanese media, so I don't really get why people always pick Japanese stuff apart for not being progressive enough in regards to that

the answer is racism op

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Endorph posted:

all the loving, triumphant shots of the us flag waving along with the iron cross, side-by-side, are insane

It's so awesome lol. It being an Eastern European dev was such a huge 'Aha!' moment

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

the answer is racism op
The other part of the answer is they only consume anime ready made for export to western nerd venues they already patronize. Playing indie games, reading print media, or watching non-anime movies is a bridge too far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the issue is even the anime ready made for export to western nerds also has plenty of examples of decent gay stuff. its more like watching like, literally two things

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

While pointing out that many of the series that are only here today thanks a massive female fanbase when they started out like Gundam would be a shock to them, I think even just saying that there's other stuff beyond shonen would be a surprise.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ivypls posted:

thuis is what james somerton died for

Foreshadowing for the twist ending to the Somerton Saga wherein he comes back from nowhere to drop the James Somerton on Steven Universe video that’s so lovely it collapses into a singularity, wiping the internet (and thus all plagiarism evidence) from existence.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Terrible Opinions posted:

The other part of the answer is they only consume anime ready made for export to western nerd venues they already patronize. Playing indie games, reading print media, or watching non-anime movies is a bridge too far.

Do you have any recommendations? I love me some good indie games.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There is Signalis
Sesbian Lex Robutts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1688580/A_YEAR_OF_SPRINGS/?curator_clanid=33347715 a year of springs is a cool trilogy of short little VNs if you havent played it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

my only exposure to SU was hearing that it was popular, seeing there was a thread in TVIV with thousands of post, and went in to see people furiously arguing back and forth about the lore implications of 2 characters being stuck in a bubble for hundreds of posts

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Annointed posted:

There is Signalis
Sesbian Lex Robutts

played it twice already. good game.

Endorph posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1688580/A_YEAR_OF_SPRINGS/?curator_clanid=33347715 a year of springs is a cool trilogy of short little VNs if you havent played it

will check it out, ty

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Well Adam Carolla is working on a cartoon. There are jokes about pronouns. It's very exciting and has the strong energy of "They have Taylor Swift, well WE have Kid Rock!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

I think gay stuff was in cartoons before steven universe

Gasp.

How can you say something so controversial yet so brave.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m an anti. I dont like shipping stories

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

i wonder if part of the reaction to this is because gaming budgets have bloated enough that you dont get this kind of cashgrab anymore. durign the initial pokemon craze there were a hundred terrible derivative pokemon clones and nobody was talking about their mixed feelings on Robopon. some people genuinely might not be used to this kind of thing.

Ooh ooh I remember Spectrobes, and a dinosaur fossil themed one for the DS?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I suffer from severe mental illness, and I have never identified media as a part of my core personality. I fundamentally can not understand.

mycot posted:

Ooh ooh I remember Spectrobes, and a dinosaur fossil themed one for the DS?

Fossil Fighters.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A recent stupid animation tweet that lives in my head rent free is someone posting some old animation of the Simpsons then made a claim that animators used to storyboard their cartoons and now all the animators do is slide the key frame from one end to another.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Annointed posted:

I suffer from severe mental illness, and I have never identified media as a part of my core personality. I fundamentally can not understand.

Fossil Fighters.

That's a disappointingly uninspired name for me to have forgotten.

Not to be forgotten though is Scholastic Publishing's Animorphs for the GBC. Which is if Pokémon had no elements, every move was Tackle and had 50% accuracy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

movies are a big part of my idenitity. just the concept of movies. making movies. watching them. thats about it tho

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Whirling posted:

Do you have any recommendations? I love me some good indie games.
Roadwarden and Touhou Artifical Dream were going to be my recommends but those are both eastern European evidently. Still good games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A recent stupid animation tweet that lives in my head rent free is someone posting some old animation of the Simpsons then made a claim that animators used to storyboard their cartoons and now all the animators do is slide the key frame from one end to another.

I swear there was a post like this about Family Guy or the Simpsons that was saying it's lazy that they weren't drawing unique characters for crowd shots like this

https://twitter.com/UsagiCola/status/1272360630075273216

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pentyne posted:

my only exposure to SU was hearing that it was popular, seeing there was a thread in TVIV with thousands of post, and went in to see people furiously arguing back and forth about the lore implications of 2 characters being stuck in a bubble for hundreds of posts

That's every TV IV thread, more or less. Always has been.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I swear there was a post like this about Family Guy or the Simpsons that was saying it's lazy that they weren't drawing unique characters for crowd shots like this

https://twitter.com/UsagiCola/status/1272360630075273216

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
sorry, that family guy one looks like poo poo. the simpsons one looks great.