Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Nybble posted:

My wife is a Bruins fan

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

now if he sucks again next year, then it's time to start thinking about how to unload him
or I guess if they get an eager buyer this summer, but in any case, it's no time to panic just yet

How many times has a player underperforming early in a mega contract been traded? GMs vastly prefer trading for guys like Huberdeau and then offering ginormous deals themselves.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

Timo Meier also seems to have 100% phoned it in after getting that contract

his usage has been weird af too, but he has sucked

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Injuries have really crippled his season stats, but they keep shoving him into third line roles and it just seems… weird

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

heehee posted:

think i might've posted about this like a month ago but anyone else have dhgate make them do payment verification when buyin a jersey? i've had an account there for like 15 years ...

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm very interested in expanding my jersey collection with some cheap knockoffs. Have you ordered from a particular seller in the past, and is the quality reasonably good for a knockoff?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm very interested in expanding my jersey collection with some cheap knockoffs. Have you ordered from a particular seller in the past, and is the quality reasonably good for a knockoff?

i think i just looked at whoever had the most sales that also sold the jersey i wanted lol. when i did that last time like 7 yrs ago tho the jersey i got was a really bad fake so i dunno, check review pics

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Saw this on reddit.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1756045966434582771?t=snBAamscKUFmQmgdVlZsqw

I'm not wild about active players getting this type of special treatment.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

Saw this on reddit.

It would seem more strange any other time, but it's his celebration of 1000 games against the Pens so fits with the theme.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It is pretty cool that Fleury got to 1000 games played, because only 4 goalies have done it, and he may be the last we see do it for a while. His career is fascinating in retrospect.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Even the next closest is Quick at 772 and he’s 38 already. We’re at the point where hitting 750 for a goalie is going to be massive. Bob can do that if he stays healthy, and Varlamov is probably the next most realistic name on the list before Hellebuyck who’s still under 500.

1000 games is a big deal and may not happen again for a goalie.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Brian Elliott had a weird career. Had a couple of good years, but was middling to poor for most of it. Played 15 seasons, but I can't find good data on that. Appeared in 543 games played, that's 36.2 games average a year, #68 all time. 279 Ws, so just a little bit below .500, but # 50 all time.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

deoju posted:

Saw this on reddit.

i don’t have a problem with it, guys a legend right now. I love the jersey though. Flowers!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

It is pretty cool that Fleury got to 1000 games played, because only 4 goalies have done it, and he may be the last we see do it for a while. His career is fascinating in retrospect.

Going to the Knights definitely saved him because he was pretty shattered mentally his last season with the pens

He was always a very "in his own way" kinda goalie and I think the pressure of being the 1st OA and playing one a team with guaranteed hall of famers put him into the "oh gently caress I'm blowing it for these guys" mindset and going to another team and being able to be the guy there without those crushing expectations helped him realize he was a good goalie after all

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Goalies jumping to the NHL and being a starter is so rare now (and in general) it’ll take a generational talent in goal to hope to collect that many games again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vasilevsky has a good start, he just needs to stay healthy and play another 10 years but those are both very rare things

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I actually don't even know if Matt Murray exists anymore

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Carver posted:

I actually don't even know if Matt Murray exists anymore

He's playing for the Texas Stars. Having a bit of a down year, but still shows some promise!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Looking up Brodeur's game played stats and it seems insane only 15-25 years later. From 97 to 08, he played 70+ games a season, with 78 being his most in 06-07.

Scott Clemmensen had the easiest job in the NHL during those years.

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
Rad mask, too. Thought it was a Carnage homage my whole life, but looking at it closer right now, it has horns and other stuff. Shows how observant I am.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Yeah you don’t really see starters playing that many games anymore, I seen this posted about Kiprusoff on jersey retirement night and forgot what a workhorse he was

https://x.com/dimfilipovic/status/1755293952184586637?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

All those games played while chainsmoking darts is even more impressive

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
His offseason training was fishing in very remote locations in Finland... and smoking.

I remember the Flames tried to get in touch with him early in the offseason one year and just couldn't... He was nowhere to be found.

He was such an awesome weird dude... goalies are insane.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's become dramatically more physically demanding to play goaltender in the NHL just in the past 10 years or so.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Going to the Knights definitely saved him because he was pretty shattered mentally his last season with the pens

He was always a very "in his own way" kinda goalie and I think the pressure of being the 1st OA and playing one a team with guaranteed hall of famers put him into the "oh gently caress I'm blowing it for these guys" mindset and going to another team and being able to be the guy there without those crushing expectations helped him realize he was a good goalie after all

MAF never got any meaningful coaching until he was 30. The one and only positive to come from the Mike Johnston era in Pittsburgh is they got a goalie coach with a clue, and MAF quickly and significantly improved. Once he got through those couple years of injuries and went to Vegas the improvement stuck, until he got Too Old. I think he could have been the legit all time great everyone expected him to be if he'd gotten better coaching starting back when he was 20 (and if he'd listened to it more.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/dimfilipovic/status/1756135479764721804

watching hockey

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/zjlaing/status/1756171878828560512

lol corey perry rocks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah definitely agree, sexpests are awesome and the NHL should continue to ignore sexpesting in those unfortunate cases where they can't reward it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Where did we find out he's a sexpest? Cause we literally have no clue what happened

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also seems like everyone forgot Fleury is under investigation for the 2003 gang rape right now?

Maybe wait a bit to celebrate him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah definitely agree, sexpests are awesome and the NHL should continue to ignore sexpesting in those unfortunate cases where they can't reward it

lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Where did we find out he's a sexpest? Cause we literally have no clue what happened

it came out he made comments to an NBC (I think NBC?) employee and that got him fired

so he got some variant of "drunk uncle at wedding" whether that was racist or sexcreep

not much else fits though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's an open secret at that point he got drunk and made passes at a female worker at the party--I think John Scott of all people said it was an NBC employee before hastily retracting. We don't have any details and never will, but I mean, it was bad enough the Blackhawks threw him off the team and the NHL let them, so it had to have been pretty drat bad.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
here's my scouting report from the 67s-Petes game last night that I got free tickets to.

the Petes are very bad. there were 7 goals and 7 fights. CBJ fans, Luca Pirelli appears to be poised to play 3 years in the AHL then go to Europe.

my 11 year old daughter absolutely loved the game and I promised her we could go back when kitchener was in town so I could go see Hunter Brzustewicz and then I found out they're in town today so we're going to the weirdest fuckin rink in the chl two days in a row.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aphrodite posted:

It also seems like everyone forgot Fleury is under investigation for the 2003 gang rape right now?

Maybe wait a bit to celebrate him.

Wait what

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Corey Perry did a steve brule impression in front of a business type who didn't get it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

It's a team Canada tradition

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Members of the 2003 Canadian juniors team gang raped an unconscious woman and apparently filmed it.

There’s about 8 involved.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Members of the 2003 Canadian juniors team gang raped an unconscious woman and apparently filmed it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/names-have-to-be-named-in-2003-world-juniors-sexual-assault-allegations-activist-says-1.6698611

Edit:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...-sexual-assault

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 10, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's an open secret at that point he got drunk and made passes at a female worker at the party--I think John Scott of all people said it was an NBC employee before hastily retracting. We don't have any details and never will, but I mean, it was bad enough the Blackhawks threw him off the team and the NHL let them, so it had to have been pretty drat bad.

I know what the open secret is that's literally a rumour without an explanation of what that was. He wasn't charged and he wasn't suspended and he's getting all his money from Chicago so unless there's something I'm missing that's a pretty big gulf to sex pest.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Aphrodite posted:

Breaking news: FCP was NOT part of that team.

I expected him to be on that roster.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Corey Perry did a steve brule impression in front of a business type who didn't get it

https://youtu.be/JV1hJuP8oP8?si=dxQq3cJ3kQbT2lKF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The devils are 5 points out going into the Canes game tonight and I feel like if they get zero points tonight they are really digging themselves a hole that they aren't going to be able to get out of.