Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i liked the monster made out of cherry blossoms that is all

it's a cool fuckin' monster. doesn't remain scary for long but that initial hit is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Heath posted:

The casual no-caps-full-punctuation writing style gives it away. Anyone who learned to type in the 90s would either write in a super stilted formal way or in the excess punctuation, capitalize random words for emphasis Boomer style.

yeah that was a dead giveaway for me too

can anyone remember any other fakery gimmick accounts that were exposed in a hilarious way

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I would like to see this cherry blossom petal monster.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I would like to see this cherry blossom petal monster.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9guL9M1ZlLU

linking for spoilers

also speaking of spoilers, the newspaper clippings showing that "Silent Hill" was spreading across the glove is absolutely what Silent Hills was going to be about lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the harvey zoo zoos guy, isaboo, used to post gbs stories about his time as a mall cop, and he apparently self-published them as a collection

the best part is he describes the stories as "true-ish" lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3987158

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Babe Magnet posted:

it sure does spend 2 hours and half a dozen cutscenes having the primary side character look directly at the main character like "suicide is cool. look how beautiful it is when people kill themselves. my art would be more popular if I killed myself. should I kill myself? I'm going to kill myself." and the main character's just like "cool."

- A Novel by Yukio Mishima

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol fair

at one point the main character gets on her phone and opens up twitter to be like "sigh, even though she's dead she still has more followers than I do......"

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 10, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

the harvey zoo zoos guy, isaboo, used to post gbs stories about his time as a mall cop, and he apparently self-published them as a collection

the best part is he describes the stories as "true-ish" lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3987158

this is somehow less respectable then rutibex flooding websites with ai generated homebrew ttrpg manuals

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

this is somehow less respectable then rutibex flooding websites with ai generated homebrew ttrpg manuals

Not sure if I'd go that far

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i once became obssessed with prioners last meals and i think of the guy who ordered a bunch of expensive food and then refused to eat it a lot

i wonder how many last meals were ordered specifically for the reason of having the worst most hosed up assplosion of poo poo and fart post mortem :thunk:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I remember right the guy who pulled the "order the most expensive thing possible and then not eat it" stunt effectively killed the practice. prison got owned too hard lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah maybe "pro-suicide" isn't entirely accurate but it definitely is at the very least "suicide-neutral", even if by accident. For the game's constant preaching that "you need to reach out! please talk to anyone! reaching out is literally the only thing you have to do!" it sure does spend 2 hours and half a dozen cutscenes having the primary side character look directly at the main character like "suicide is cool. look how beautiful it is when people kill themselves. my art would be more popular if I killed myself. should I kill myself? I'm going to kill myself." and the main character's just like "cool."

The reason I said pro-suicide mostly boils down to how the suicide of the "friend" character is treated, a lot of focus on the beauty of death and how great it must be to be remembered as beautiful forever like the cherry blossom trees. also here's a pamphlet on the ancient samurai ritual of harakiri, suicide with honor brought upon by the injustices of society. Yeah yeah I get that it's ironic and that it's not actually true and here's a big scary monster to prove our point but they shoot themselves in the foot with it at the end. Hell, the main character, who caused her "friend" to commit suicide in the first place by spreading rumors cause she was jealous a third friend was being "stolen" from her, eventually gets everything she wants anyway; her art rival is dead, her best friend is all hers again, and she gets to go shopping lol. She doesn't even learn anything from this experience! The titular "short message" presented at the start of the game is some dumb poo poo about only the STRONGEST animals go it alone, you're a dumb weak bitch if you have to rely on a social network. You'd expect it would subvert that or play with it at the end, but no, the main character's just like "Yeah that's all actually still true but I don't personally care." lmfao

I took her depressed friend's constant romanticizing of suicide and young death as unwell ideation red flags. Absurdly huge ones. Like to the point that it's ridiculous that nobody would express any concern about it. The way that character is martyred and victimized does leave the whole thing open to feeling like it's proving her right though.

The writing is muddled and constantly contradicting itself. The ending monologue rambling about how the strongest animals don't form groups and it's pathetic to do that, but she's made peace with that I guess is so weird.

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't really like making big posts about games like this, but a lot of the stuff they were going for hit close to home in ways I hosed with, so this experience has been sitting in the back of my mind all day. I don't think the problems with it come from malice, just incompetent "how-do-you-do-fellow-kids" please think I'm cool and hip desperation.

Ha, same, it's just been bouncing around in my head how out-of-touch it feels while also constantly wallowing in misery and feeling like an unironic version of that song from Heathers.

Babe Magnet posted:

her character is basically the google search results for a bunch of ptsd complications mashed together, and not much else. the backstory stuff was absolutely added toward the end in an attempt to make her just not a complete monster lol.

I don't think Bloober team is involved in any real way, but with the way they handled The Medium you'd think they were

The director of The Short Message is helping produce Bloober's Silent Hill 2 remake. Otherwise, yeah they're separate. The writer made some supplemental Higurashi: When They Cry side stuff, and it was developed by Konami and the independent developer who made The Third Birthday.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's a shame, or would be if bloober's sh2 remake had any chance of actually being good lol

in the end, I guess it all boils down to

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1495530138922283008?lang=en

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Themes are cool and all but I feel like it's cheating to have characters plainly shouting out "I HAVE DEPRESSION AND WANT TO KILL MYSELF" and "I AM AN ABUSIVE PARENT". Technically that makes it a story about suicide and abuse but that shouldn't count.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joey McChrist posted:

i remember talking about mangosteen with a friend on twitter and was completely not referencing SA at all and lowtax popped up in my mentions getting pissy about it. lol dumb bitch

constantly searching for myself via all the ways ive embarrassed myself over the years, on twitter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re silent hill short message my suspicion is the title "short message" comes from a direct translation, unless someone who knows Japanese better can prove me wrong because 短信 is Chinese for "sms or other message over the phone that isn't an email"

I still don't understand why the third chapter is "the main character is a victim of domestic abuse" and how it helps tie in with the theme or explains why the mc no longer wants to kill herself. By all accounts she sucks rear end as a person and I don't feel like she has had any growth or introspection other than maybe I should go shopping with my friend

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the sms thing makes sense, as they were saying in interviews that one of the themes in this game is Kids Be On They Phones All The Time Now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boober Team

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You really can get the whole Bloober Team experience from that "baby ghost plowing into a wall" video + looking up the rat drawings from Layers of Fear

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

found out there was a puppetmaster game on steam and got hyped but its a multiplayer game only five people play smh

i hate these kind of games so much. just a complete waste of a cool IP every time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4051211&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post536981507

check both rap sheets for a funny surprise

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Improbable Lobster posted:

Royal Rat Covenant owned

That was a dog, right? I mean, they called it a rat but that was clearly a large barfing dog

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
meanwhile the goon who had the previous 'ama about prison' thread was an actual heroin addict or crackhead who had iirc robbed multiple tcc meetups including at one of them inviting a bunch of other dudes who also showed up and stole everything. somehow he kept getting invited to more tcc meetups

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
If that’s real, lmao. Also lmao if it’s not

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
monkeu is the world's angriest Golden State Warriors fan, and God bless him for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

meanwhile the goon who had the previous 'ama about prison' thread was an actual heroin addict or crackhead who had iirc robbed multiple tcc meetups including at one of them inviting a bunch of other dudes who also showed up and stole everything. somehow he kept getting invited to more tcc meetups

Is this before or after prison, because either way lmao.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lol no way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:nice:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Goons helping goons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stealing directly vs skimming off the top. Who is more honorable?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

fool me once, shame on you
fool me twice, shame on me
fool me three times.. hold on i gotta pack this bowl

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Now I'm thinking about the time that a goon who was selling benzos (maybe phenazepam?) to other goons vanished, someone reported that they'd confirmed he had ODed and died, and some other goon was like "if you're in contact with his family, can you ask about refunds for the stuff he never shipped out??"

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Antivehicular posted:

Now I'm thinking about the time that a goon who was selling benzos (maybe phenazepam?) to other goons vanished, someone reported that they'd confirmed he had ODed and died, and some other goon was like "if you're in contact with his family, can you ask about refunds for the stuff he never shipped out??"

lmfao

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or the goon who OD and got cooked in his car and then his SO showed up asking which of his pills were safe to take lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drug goons rule

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TCC is a better anti-drug PSA than DARE could ever dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

its cool that monkeu went from being an insane xbox consolew arrior to being an insane NBA fan(?) for some reason