Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

NeonPunk posted:

No thats still Topaz. Trying to enslave an entire planet into debt peonage for generations is pretty lovely!

(I don't know anything about Sparkles, I still haven't finished the main story and I'm not clicking on the spoilers so forgive me if something worse does comes up)

No like, worst as in not funny or likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

all of the planets Kafka ruined had tried to harness or control a Stellaron in some form or another, gently caress them

the Japella Brotherhod maybe not, but they're thralls of Nanook

good riddance

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

civilization : places an incredibly powerful and dangerous artifact at the heart of their existence

kafka : shows up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sparkle is cool because shes genuinely meant to be unlikable and to push at cultural norms of every region the game exists in. like every single fanbase is mad at her but for different reasons. her character archetype is a bit tired but its genuinely a distinct take on that archetype. like a wacky troll character who actually gets under peoples skin irl is cool

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

sparkle is cool because shes genuinely meant to be unlikable and to push at cultural norms of every region the game exists in. like every single fanbase is mad at her but for different reasons. her character archetype is a bit tired but its genuinely a distinct take on that archetype. like a wacky troll character who actually gets under peoples skin irl is cool

I think they just flubbed her writing a little bit but I think that there is room for the next story patch(es) to fix it. Or put another way, it’s not enough exposure to some of the stuff you’re talking about / stuff in spoilers in previous posts for me I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah its pretty clearly intentional. i dont think shes meant to be likable or funny i think shes just meant to be kind of an rear end in a top hat. like the eng fanbase is one thing but getting the cn fandom mad at a character for being problematic is impressive.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

nah its pretty clearly intentional. i dont think shes meant to be likable or funny i think shes just meant to be kind of an rear end in a top hat. like the eng fanbase is one thing but getting the cn fandom mad at a character for being problematic is impressive.

You misread me. I’m not saying it’s unintentional I’m saying they didn’t go far enough imo.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like how everyone who knows of her in game kinda thinks she's a tryhard

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

What elements of her do they dislike compared to en?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

You misread me. I’m not saying it’s unintentional I’m saying they didn’t go far enough imo.
oh yeah, fair. to be fair they still have to sell gacha bux. and i mean people on the internet are mad at her so it seems like it worked.

Eimi posted:

What elements of her do they dislike compared to en?
some of the cn dialog is slightly different, im unsure on the specifics but my understanding is she specifically mocks the family bonds of well, The Family, at one point, in a way that comes across as her mocking chinese cultural norms with regards to family units.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

oh yeah, fair. to be fair they still have to sell gacha bux. and i mean people on the internet are mad at her so it seems like it worked.

:cheers: Good point, I should probably evaluate aspects of this game’s narrative in light of it being part of a gacha product more often.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I haven't even booted the game in 2 days. I can't wait to actually check out Penacony!

Will Black Swan's personality win me over? Will Sparkle annoy me enough to decide not to pull for her? Will I like Clockie?

I already like Adventurine. He was in the musical. :D

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

Yeah she's fine as a villain for me, just not as a villain I actually want on my roster, unlike some of my other characters. It seems like a weird choice but I'm sure there's plenty who will pull for her anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I appreciate them making a villain actually feel odious. Like I love World Serpent, the Fatui, and the Stellaron Hunters, but they are def made to have fans of them. Their villainy is cool to me. :v: Having just a real piece of poo poo is variety.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I'm totally cold on Sparkle's design but writing-wise she feels like way more coherent of a character than Ruan Mei, which is kind of lol for the wacky chaos faction. hopefully they pull some funny shenanigans with her during the rest of the story

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Sparkle is annoying, playfully annoying, but still one of those people who is just waiting for the best moment to stab you in the back. Smiling and laughing the whole time.

I'll probably pull for her because of her abilities.

I'm still just doing random pulls for Imagine Dragons, so I may have to make a choice here soon as to when to quit and save my coinjade.

Penacony is, so far, one of my favorite locations. The Loufu had really great, coherent style, but a pretty milquetoast/predictable story. This season's realm is more scattered but the plot holds everything together so well that it doesn't really matter. I've already burned through the content available so far.

Now I get to go back and try and fight that big bug from the last patch... :sigh:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Sparkle can change into anyone to fulfill any kind of fantasy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont like this post

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Finished the origami bird hunt last night. Go ahead, ask me how mad I was to spend literal hours checking every inch of hotel just to find the last bird at the spot where all the birds go once you find them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its not bad, but i probably dislike the TV shrinking puzzle one the most, just takes longer than the rest, and keeps repeating the same thing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m pulling for the horrid 4chan gremlin and the greasy sleezebag, and I’m not sorry about it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Sparkle can change into anyone to fulfill any kind of fantasy

:chloe:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ignoring............that, are the differences between the gold calyx on each planet just what enemy mats they also drop (and what enemies they have in them I guess)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

ignoring............that, are the differences between the gold calyx on each planet just what enemy mats they also drop (and what enemies they have in them I guess)?
yeah the differences are just enemy mat drops. they just exist so you can farm for specific things more easily (if you somehow dont have 5000 of all the enemy drops by now)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

yeah the differences are just enemy mat drops. they just exist so you can farm for specific things more easily (if you somehow dont have 5000 of all the enemy drops by now)

right on, i definitely burned through all my spiral cone thingies somehow and i need a lot of exp books so that's handy enough

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Obnoxipus posted:

Finished the origami bird hunt last night. Go ahead, ask me how mad I was to spend literal hours checking every inch of hotel just to find the last bird at the spot where all the birds go once you find them.

You can just pay the birds a coin to point out the ones you're missing.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Clarste posted:

I need those coins to play the literal gacha inside the game.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So what exactly is it I'm supposed to be doing with this ticket invite event for free primos. My friend and I are trying to do it together and both are confused on how to do the invite and get the rewards. It let me make this ticket of Acheron the way I like then it's like copy exclusive link or share, but like what do we actually do with those and where/how do we claim the code it gives us?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone won the capsule grand prize

That light cone is just taunting me

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Kale posted:

So what exactly is it I'm supposed to be doing with this ticket invite event for free primos. My friend and I are trying to do it together and both are confused on how to do the invite and get the rewards. It let me make this ticket of Acheron the way I like then it's like copy exclusive link or share, but like what do we actually do with those and where/how do we claim the code it gives us?

It only work on people who already have an account but haven't logged in the past 14 days. If they don't have an account or if it's less than 14 days the code won't work

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm glad the only real good lightcone is the hunt one

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you didn't know, you can buy that light cone from Priceless Jewels now. I wasted all my week's coins trying to get a copy, gave up and just bought five.

Kale
May 14, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

It only work on people who already have an account but haven't logged in the past 14 days. If they don't have an account or if it's less than 14 days the code won't work

Well that sucks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Black Swan Companion Quest. woah. Probably my favorite companion quest so far.

Thank god they skipped the 3rd mystery puzzle, was getting tired of it. good pacing scenario writer.
Sparkle pretending to be Sparkle's body? ok i guess.

And holy poo poo, what an ending lol. Black Swan pulling a Prof. X tier mind (memory) adjustment when they were gonna jump her. OP
The quest kind of fooled me, like I finished the main quest, so I too thought that the Sampo here was Sparkle. Cause honestly his annoyance level was dialed to like 11. So I thought it was Sparkle overplaying her part trying to act as Sampo. The final conversation with Sparkle and Sampo was also really cool.
Then Sparkle IM's you pretending to be Black Swan to get the memory bubble back lol. Similar to Silver Wolf, though she does it just to be funny

With all these factions that are actually pretty formidable in their own rights. Kind of puts the Stellaron Hunters in perspective as just 'another group' in the universe. Sure, the Hunters are terrorist and probably destabilized whole planets for reasons....

But with the Memokeeper and Masked Fools and the huge IPC, there's a much better scale of balance to look at.
Versus Luofu where they kind of just seemed like chumps that got manipulated by everyone.
Snow planet makes sense that they get pushed around by other factions because they have been out of the loop for centuries.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 10, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tree Reformat posted:

Topaz is absolutely a neoliberal who has internalized harm reduction as the highest virtue one can ever aspire to, that fact lets her sleep easy on her bed of gold and plushies every night for four and a half hours, lol

Aventurine is the greedy ambitious cynic who knows what a corrupt joke the system is, and is just fine with that because he wants his cut of the pie, big as he can get it, no mind to the price everyone else has to pay for it

Topaz runs an animal rescue which makes her unambiguously the most good character in star rail

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Clarste posted:

Can't do that, all my coins went to...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I won the light cone last night, but haven't yet gotten the other prize.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I think whether or not I like Sparkle will depend on what her motivation is. I am completely uninterested in characters that want to cause chaos just because they want to cause chaos.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

funkymonks posted:

I think whether or not I like Sparkle will depend on what her motivation is. I am completely uninterested in characters that want to cause chaos just because they want to cause chaos.

I guess she could be an exception, but that's like the entire creed of the Masked Fools.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clarste posted:

I guess she could be an exception, but that's like the entire creed of the Masked Fools.

If anything it's highly likely that describes Sampo instead of her. She specifically hates Sampo because he has limits and a purpose behind what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

funkymonks posted:

She probably wants chaos for the sake of it. What she is actually doing in Penacony is up for guess, though. Black Swan warns her not to piss off her actual employers too much.