Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

VideoWitch posted:

or you get a mod like Infestations Spawn in Darkness which makes them work in a much more reasonable way then vanilla imo

Also recommend this. It doesn't eliminate bugs but they don't have an equal chance of spawning anywhere under an overhead mountain anymore. I also like it cause it makes solar flares more tense. Makes it feel less cheaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Your Computer posted:

any keywords i can look up? i found a super cozy spot nestled between a mountain and a river but the only place i can keep expanding is the mountain and i don't want bugs in my bedroom :ohdear:

This video gives the highlights, even if it doesn't dig crazy-deep into the math and optimization, it'll show you what you need to predict where (approximately, mostly) the bugs will attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJoP3qxmNQ

That said, if you really hate infestations like I do, then yeah I second Infestations Spawn in Darkness. My current base is very much like what you describe, and I slammed that mod on instantly and compensated for the difficulty reduction in other ways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's yall's method of clearing infestations? Mine is usually just a single hallway with a bunch of auto-shotguns, but I've gotten clever and done the "have wood floors, toss a molotov" method before which clears them pretty quick

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Line of melee backed up with whatever ranged gun other than snipers but most importantly, vertigo pulse, +/- berserk pulse.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
And, if at all possible, something to ensure they have collision well before they reach your melees, because having megaspiders chewing on your ranged line is very bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
barf pulse/berserk pulse are enormously helpful also
(these are psycasts added by the Royalty DLC)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna install that mod and hope for the best

to be real honest "you're better protected from most raids, but occasionally raids happen inside your bedrom at random" doesn't sound like the most fun trade-off. but otoh it just feels nice to have a lil mountain fortress. i promise it's all well lit and ventilated

e: unrelated to bugs i want to share how the first few nights went in my new colony. it was great! except, uh, i kinda let everyone be attracted to each other and also have a precept saying polyamory was fine so they have spent more time going on dates than they have anything else. all three are getting married now i think

e2: to be clear i am having a great time

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 9, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

cheers y'all, these recommendations have all been great! speaking of outdated mods i'm using edb prepare carefully to be able to save and load my favorite pawns but i saw a mod saying something to the effect of it being bad and shouldn't be used

is it another case of a different mod taking the mantle?

e: oh and completely unrelated, i tried to read up on the insect spawning thing but didn't get it - if i build a mountain fortress are they just going to randomly spawn on any tile inside of my house?

There's a post in this thread outlining the interesting mechanics, it was written by someone incredibly smart (and probably very handsome):

There's a Roofing overlay that you can turn on in the bottom right of the screen. Any dark green tile is Overhead Mountain - these are where insect infestations can occur. If you build a mountain base, then you're basically trading drop pod raids for infestations. Infestations are honestly a lot easier to deal with than drop pod raids, once an infestation triggers you get a paused event and then a big chunk of time before the bugs will actually show up, plenty of time to get pawns (and potentially some critical-priority gear) out of the room and to bring in defenders. Compare that to a drop pod raid, where a bunch of assholes instantly crash into your dining room and start shooting. You also get a bunch of valuable insect jelly, which is great! Insect meat is also a great source for animal kibble while not providing much wealth. All in all, it's a great motivation to build a mountain base

There are several strategies that make infestations easy to handle, including vertigo pulse to make the bugs start puking, but the most effective strategy is a lot of guns standing behind some big beefy boys. Animals like elephants, rhinos, and polar bears are insanely good at defending against insects because they have enormous health pools and are armored against slashing attacks, but they won't hold a defensive line, so you ultimately still want people in heavy armor standing in front of a lot of people with guns. For your shooters, chain shotguns deal the most damage at short range so they're a great choice, but lead is lead; what matters is that you have people shooting.

The infestation will make a mess out of whatever room it spawns in, there's a good chance that the insects will start loving up any structures and furniture unless you immediately aggro them. If you have specific rooms where you absolutely do not want an infestation to occur, such as a nuclear reactor room if you play with rimatomics, then you can super-cool the room to -17C to completely eliminate infestation chance. If you just generally want to reduce infestation chance across your base then make sure you keep every nook and cranny of your base illuminated with lamps or torches and try to periodically create exits in your base toward patches of open sky. It's pretty common for mountains to have some patches of light roofing, it's wise to open these up and create little outdoor areas for your pawns' happiness but it also drives down infestation chance to have these areas.

If you're in a situation where you have an infestation and you don't think that you can handle it, then you can try to shut the bugs down by making your base very hot. Bring your pawns outside, gather a bunch of flammable stuff inside, and then light it up. A stack of 20 burning nightstands can make a base surprisingly hot. Once the insects start taking heat damage they'll go ballistic, but they'll die pretty fast once they're in that state. After the insects are dead just poke a hole in your outer wall to instantly normalize the temperature with the outside, then your pawns can go in and clean up the hives and haul away the bodies.

If you're in some kind of emergency situation where you really just want to lock down your situation for a little while, you can wall off your exits to prevent infestations - infestations can only occur on squares that are pathable to the edge of the map. This is not a long-term solution. It's probably not really going to save you, another raid type will just spawn instead, but maybe you can call on allies to meet those guys in the field instead of in your dining room?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Infestations Spawn in Darkness is a must-have for me. My most recent mountain base still saw a small handful of them because I didn't light up a mining tunnel or got sloppy about coverage, and one of them was a pretty serious issue, but they felt like reasonable and balanced events that I could influence, not just "Oh here's this quadrum's bugs, guess it's time to start cleaning up their mess"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What particularly annoyed me about bugs is that my pawns are fighting bugs on one side while the other side of the admittedly large room the bugs decide to aggro on structures.

Otherwise I loved all the insect jelly and meat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Your Computer posted:

to be real honest "you're better protected from most raids, but occasionally raids happen inside your bedrom at random" doesn't sound like the most fun trade-off.

Non-mountain bases have to deal with drop pod raids, so no matter what kind of base you pick you can have raids appear inside it. At least with a mountain base you can ensure that the only kind of internal raid will be a squishy armor less all-melee bug raid instead of a bunch of robust assholes in flak vests with grenades.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Non-mountain bases have to deal with drop pod raids, so no matter what kind of base you pick you can have raids appear inside it. At least with a mountain base you can ensure that the only kind of internal raid will be a squishy armor less all-melee bug raid instead of a bunch of robust assholes in flak vests with grenades.

you know i forgot about this entirely and i think y'all have convinced me

e: thanks for the writeup QuarkJets!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I always make good melee weapons for pawns as soon as possible and I'm convinced that melee is significantly under-rated given how many fights in rimworld end up in melee range

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Always run simple sidearms, yeah. Everyone should have at least a knife as a backup, they’re much better off in a fight with a manhunter than they are with fists or buttstrokes.

It’s pain that’s going to down an animal at melee range, more likely than anything else. Got to slice-and-dice that rampaging cow!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Melee is very good early on. Even if all your guys have guns you can just rush any gun user on the CPU side and knock them with numbers. Especially because early raiders usually have bows/revolvers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I should do some testing some time, but I favor blunt weapons a lot even though I have exactly zero hard data backing that up. I remember long swords always working well, but maces seem to do well against pretty much everything. it is hilarious seeing the damage pile up once you've got 4 or 5 pawns swinging melee weapons

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I always make good melee weapons for pawns as soon as possible and I'm convinced that melee is significantly under-rated given how many fights in rimworld end up in melee range

Melee is definitely very good, but it's hard to train good melee fighters without getting a crippling injury along the way. Melee centric defenses also don't scale well while ranged attacks are easy to stack up.

Once you have someone trained and geared up though they'll absolutely destroy things, for sure. Biotech does open new possibilities with melee skill genes to skip that initial stage and mass produce disposable front liners too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tunnelers are great melee weapons, but scythers' mobility is a big advantage.

Your melee fighters will get random injuries. That's a big deal for your pawns, but no problem for your robots.

I haven't done any start but the mechanitor since biotech came out, but I would do whatever I could to get a mechanitor in any play through because that's really the only way to have truly viable melee fighters.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Lately I've been using "Hunt/Kill for Me" and packs of Shock Goats for a lot of hostile incursions. Their shock will incapacitate a lot of hostiles for my melee to come and cleanup. They breed like crazy, produce decent amounts of milk during the peacetime, and can be zoned for cheaty shenanigans.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

isndl posted:

Melee is definitely very good, but it's hard to train good melee fighters without getting a crippling injury along the way. Melee centric defenses also don't scale well while ranged attacks are easy to stack up.

Once you have someone trained and geared up though they'll absolutely destroy things, for sure. Biotech does open new possibilities with melee skill genes to skip that initial stage and mass produce disposable front liners too.

Yeah i get my melee guys by just recruiting anyone healthy enough with 5+ melee and slapping a mace in their hand. I feel like my ranged guys take a bunch of pretty disabling injuries, too, but that's probably because I've been on a kick for a while now of trying to play without killboxes and it definitely means that everyone takes a lot more damage

Come to think of it, recruiting is the only way I ever see high melee skills, I don't even really think of it as trainable

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 10, 2024

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I like making my melee guys into psycasters because it gives them a suite of powers that helps with maneuverability, survivability, and crowd control.

If you later get a hold of a persona melee weapon with the kill-focused trait, you can go around bopping squirrels or rats and have essentially endless psyfocus for keeping your colony under perpetual inspiration.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Yeah i get my melee guys by just recruiting anyone healthy enough with 5+ melee and slapping a mace in their hand. I feel like my ranged guys take a bunch of pretty disabling injuries, too, but that's probably because I've been on a kick for a while now of trying to play without killboxes and it definitely means that everyone takes a lot more damage

Come to think of it, recruiting is the only way I ever see high melee skills, I don't even really think of it as trainable

Yeah that also leads to another problem with melee versus ranged: if someone on your firing line gets nailed by a lucky shot you can pull them back easily for medical attention, possibly even getting them bandaged up fast enough to get back on the line. Someone in melee is stuck in melee and you're on the clock to get the fight finished before they bleed out. If you can get the superclotting gene that helps a ton for keeping your melee pawns alive.

Ranged is also more forgiving in that wimps and kids can contribute fairly well with the right guns, but put those same pawns in melee and they'll barely be able to do anything before going down.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I should do some testing some time, but I favor blunt weapons a lot even though I have exactly zero hard data backing that up. I remember long swords always working well, but maces seem to do well against pretty much everything. it is hilarious seeing the damage pile up once you've got 4 or 5 pawns swinging melee weapons

Blunt weapons go through armor and sharp weapons do more damage to unarmored. I replace all sharp weapons as the game goes on.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A looted monosword, or an early quest reward, is super cool for that reason (high armor pierce, sharp damage numbers).

I like to do a Venerated monosword because persona weapons are sick as gently caress. My latest embark just got the location for ours (it’s named Babs)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
high quality plasteel breach axes are suuuuuuuuper good.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Breach axes can one-shot mech turrets for safe power cell collecting! Don't remember if the melee damage gene is necessary for that or not though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Compared to guns (Which needs... a gun) It's tricky to get someone truly well set up for melee - genes, traits, skill, gear, potentially psycasts and cybernetics - but if you actually manage it they will be a truly devastating force on the battlefield. Quite sufficient to turn the tide in any but the most lopsided battle.

Mods of course can change this dramatically, but even in vanilla I've seen some terrifying poo poo go down. Every pawn gangsta until a psycaster with 18 melee in a Prestige Cataphract suit walks in.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Neanderthals op

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sometimes a melee pawn is better than a wall, but unlike walls the enemy can miss hitting them and they hit back

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

Yeah that also leads to another problem with melee versus ranged: if someone on your firing line gets nailed by a lucky shot you can pull them back easily for medical attention, possibly even getting them bandaged up fast enough to get back on the line. Someone in melee is stuck in melee and you're on the clock to get the fight finished before they bleed out. If you can get the superclotting gene that helps a ton for keeping your melee pawns alive.

Ranged is also more forgiving in that wimps and kids can contribute fairly well with the right guns, but put those same pawns in melee and they'll barely be able to do anything before going down.

Psycasting is also insanely good in these circumstances, often a downed pawn will get back up if you cast Painblock on them and then you can Skip them out of harm's way and have them run to the hospital on their own. Or I like to put melee people in Phoenix armor so that they can have a shield belt and the ability to literally jump at enemies, and sometimes it's handy for getting them out of combat if I notice that they're bleeding a lot

Some animals aren't great for combat but are handy for the Rescue skill. Smaller dogs can be great haulers and rescuers

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
incidentally the big thing I've learned from trying to do no killbox colonies is that go juice is incredibly op if the odds are otherwise against you

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Leveling/using melee pawns safely is quite easy if you're willing to build defensive setups to force enemies into the loving arms of 3 people waiting to kick their rear end around a blind corner, at least.

incidentally the big thing I've learned from trying to do no killbox colonies is that go juice is incredibly op if the odds are otherwise against you

Go Juice and Wake Up are incredibly, monstrously strong and every colonist should carry them once you have some sitting around. Unless you have the genes for it they're not a "pop this all the time" thing, but having what amounts to an ultra powerup sitting in your inventory if poo poo goes bad is a life saver.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3094804793

Found this neat mod. It adds the bills system to grow zones, so you can set crops to grow until you have X. Sadly it doesn't have the thing where it pauses until you fall under a certain amount, but still. Good to set some fields to keep up on herbal medication then swap back to another crop.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to deliberately shoot to wound instead of kill?

i'm desperate for more settlers but the game just keeps sending me the worst dudes who are either dead before i can fetch them, dead because they raided me or so bad i want to banish them before they make trouble (just got a kid who's a bloodthirsty misogynist. he's going to make the entire settlement including himself miserable i'd rather take the mood penalty and just banish him asap)

if i could at least take some prisoners from the raids that would help, but they all end up dead :negative:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Your Computer posted:

VE has a nonlethal weapons mod that also helps for dealing with prison breaks

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2454918354

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

i'm desperate for more settlers but the game just keeps sending me the worst dudes who are either dead before i can fetch them, dead because they raided me or so bad i want to banish them before they make trouble (just got a kid who's a bloodthirsty misogynist. he's going to make the entire settlement including himself miserable i'd rather take the mood penalty and just banish him asap)

if i could at least take some prisoners from the raids that would help, but they all end up dead :negative:

If they're dying before you can capture them, you can bandage them in-place, pre-capture, by having a drafted medical-ish dude selected, and right-click on the downed enemy and just fix them up without bandages, to stop the bleeding. They'll have a high chance of being infected, but at least you can nab 'em.

If you're wondering why they seem to all be dead from the combat directly, the game is rigging that. If you have "enough" colonists, there is a % chance that any enemy that would-be-downed is instead just straight up killed. This chance can be modified on the custom playstyle settings: "Enemy Death on Downed" (you can modify this on an in-progress game, in case you didn't know that, don't have to start over).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bread Enthusiast posted:

If you're wondering why they seem to all be dead from the combat directly, the game is rigging that. If you have "enough" colonists, there is a % chance that any enemy that would-be-downed is instead just straight up killed. This chance can be modified on the custom playstyle settings: "Enemy Death on Downed" (you can modify this on an in-progress game, in case you didn't know that, don't have to start over).

oh it's absolutely this, then :shepface: thanks for letting me know!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

VE has a nonlethal weapons mod that also helps for dealing with prison breaks

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2454918354
there are just so many VE mods and they all seem neat but it's also overwhelming so i'm not using any of them right now.... perhaps for my next colony i'll download a whole boatload of those mods. i saw there's even one that adds soup

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If the VE suite seems overwhelming now, I promise it won’t get less so if you try to use a bunch of them at once.

VE mods are such that you probably want to have limited set running, if at all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, never try and use VE everything all at once, and I say this as a big fan of VE. There is just so much poo poo and most of it just does not matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
They're really good overall, but don't just install everything. The way I did it was basically just saying, "I want X, why isn't X in this game?" and would go grab the mod mid-playthrough. Going from vanilla to all-out-mods would be crazy overwhelming but adding a handful of nonlethal weapons is a good example of a way to gradually work it in unless you really just want the vanilla experience.