Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

you need to get up and stretch periodically this isn't healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

also that guy needs to do some crunches he's such a skinny boy madone. needs to take a 12mph trip to the gym

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Brain Curry posted:

the story was everywhere and iot is such a disaster it would be plausible

Remember the first precept of Discordianism: everything is true.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LuxuryLarva posted:

I can't wait for the advent of self stimming wireheads. This will create an entirely new kind of degenerate. Imagine what we'll call them.

taint? tanj? tasp!

larry niven was a pretty garbage writer but once in a while he was had some social criticism & bite, like in a gift from earth, which takes place on a colony world where the crew descendants basically live forever by using the colonist descendants as organ donors (they convict them of crimes before, of course). but probably he cribbed from other writers

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Buck Wildman posted:

you need to get up and stretch periodically this isn't healthy

Imagine how much they'll save on conference room furniture though

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

beep beep, here comes a special boss

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

waow.,, beyutifull...

thx #BOOMchallenge

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Durf posted:

waow.,, beyutifull...

thx #BOOMchallenge

:dafuq:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

turns out easier tools was all that was stopping the general public from producing 00s deviantart slop on an even greater scale. there's a livejournal teen in all of us

I love that the wall-e blobs weren't even meant as some "this is what happens if you don't exercise!" scold, they explain it's muscle atrophy from multiple generations in low g

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

Remember the first precept of Discordianism: everything is true.

if everything is true then everything is false

documentary

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Ban office jobs for the health of the population. If you sit down for your job you're a mess

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Ban office jobs for the health of the population. If you sit down for your job you're a mess

Been saying this.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Sitting at your desk anxiously staring at your fitbit because you don't get 10,000 steps walking to your car

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TACD posted:

I’m currently wanting to buy a new electric toothbrush and they all seem to have Bluetooth and “AI” and an app that will show me my brushing history or some bullshit, it’s obscene

why does the 30 second timer need to connect to the internet?

teddy k had some good ideas

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

unironically this

i midlife crisised from DBA to metal machining and I am so much happier

I am Peter from office space

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goatsestretchgoals posted:

unironically this

i want to leave my job of cdn support and enter a job of learning to carve intricate miters and mortises and tenons. the meme is absolutely real

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i used to build stages for concerts & stock warehouses, and now i touch computers in an office

i hate both, but i hate the sitting in an office chair less than i hate carrying heavy poo poo and getting up super early

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i hate both, but i hate the sitting in an office chair less than i hate carrying heavy poo poo and getting up super early

I work swing lol

day shift can eat an overloaded bin of metal dicks, thanks for not being cool, also the day walkers can

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

unironically this

There was a dude who is a machinist asking about switching to computer touching in the career paths thread, and I really wanted to talk him out of it.

How do you like machining versus computer touching? Being a machinist is the job I really wish I had gotten into instead of computer touching, and I'm pretty jealous.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I work swing lol

day shift can eat an overloaded bin of metal dicks, thanks for not being cool, also the day walkers can

i specialized in third shift tech poo poo for about 9 years. its funny to commute against traffic and your lane is clear while everybody else is snailing it to/from work, but also you lose all your friends working this shift so

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

unironically this

How was that transition? How big of a paycut was it, at least at first?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

unironically this

There was a dude who is a machinist asking about switching to computer touching in the career paths thread, and I really wanted to talk him out of it.

How do you like machining versus computer touching? Being a machinist is the job I really wish I had gotten into instead of computer touching, and I'm pretty jealous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I work swing lol

ah jeez my parents worked swing when i was a kid, i dont think i could do it. always took forever to shift my rhythm

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Carthag Tuek posted:

i used to build stages for concerts & stock warehouses, and now i touch computers in an office

Back when I worked construction we had a guy working with us who got into the field because he was tired of working at a desk doing computer toucher stuff and wanted to work with his hands. He seemed alright with the job but I got the impression that he was seriously rethinking his choices. He almost certainly took a solid pay cut to do a job that’s way more exhausting so I do hope he went back to his old job eventually

Griz
May 21, 2001

Kit Walker posted:

Back when I worked construction we had a guy working with us who got into the field because he was tired of working at a desk doing computer toucher stuff and wanted to work with his hands. He seemed alright with the job but I got the impression that he was seriously rethinking his choices. He almost certainly took a solid pay cut to do a job that’s way more exhausting so I do hope he went back to his old job eventually

when I worked helpdesk we got a 50ish guy who used to do construction, he absolutely hated the new job and quit after a year to be a foreman which was probably a raise because that helpdesk paid like poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TACD posted:

I’m currently wanting to buy a new electric toothbrush and they all seem to have Bluetooth and “AI” and an app that will show me my brushing history or some bullshit, it’s obscene

I bought one four months ago and the toothbrush aisle was like about 100% "normal" electric brushes. They mostly have sensors that stop you from pressing too hard which is good. Didn't get that five years ago when I bought the previous one.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ham Equity posted:

yeah, imagine doing easier, safer work for more money. dude's clearly insane

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

redleader posted:

yeah, imagine doing easier, safer work for more money. dude's clearly insane

Its less "fulfilling" than working with your hands, and you can pay bills with the warm fuzzy feelings you get from that. Just ignore the old heads in the trades who are bent and broken, in constant pain, cant afford healthcare or to retire, abuse drugs to keep working...

Its real manly work.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ruffian Price posted:

turns out easier tools was all that was stopping the general public from producing 00s deviantart slop on an even greater scale. there's a livejournal teen in all of us

I love that the wall-e blobs weren't even meant as some "this is what happens if you don't exercise!" scold, they explain it's muscle atrophy from multiple generations in low g

everyone would have been fired if that happened

disruption of consumption is a serious crime

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's funny to me that 30~ year old computer touchers think retirement will be an option in 30-40 years.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I bounce between jobs that require my physical body and ones that require my delicate typing fingers and I'm never happy wherever I'm at.

in either case im hyper aware that I will never ever retire and I laugh when old timers talk about it as a reality for me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

skooma512 posted:

How was that transition? How big of a paycut was it, at least at first?

pay cut was huge at first but I was totally underpaid at that job. I moved to a new place last year and make a little less hourly than as a DBA but my medical is all paid by employer so it’s closer than it looks

it was definitely rough on my body, especially at first, going from sitting all day to standing/moving/lifting. I did lose about 25lbs of spare tire just by going to work and changing nothing else so that was cool. I’m in better shape at 40 than I was at 30

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Getting paid computer toucher money and you die sooner? Sounds like a win win tbh and you can afford to build your own shop for the weekends as well

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's called a Man Cave I think.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Physical labor and computer touching will both destroy your body eventually, just in completely different ways

Do you want to grind your bones and joints into dust by age 51 or die of a metabolic or cardiovascular disorder at your desk by age 52? The choice is yours!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I sit on a yoga ball and do kegels.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Physical labor and computer touching will both destroy your body eventually, just in completely different ways

Do you want to grind your bones and joints into dust by age 51 or die of a metabolic or cardiovascular disorder at your desk by age 52? The choice is yours!

just loving work out

(says guy who has not exercised with any regularity for nine years and will probably die of a cardiovascular disorder barring lucky genetics)

but by your estimates I still have time... 2025 is my year, I can feel it

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's what sitstand desks are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tempora Mutantur posted:

just loving work out

Yeah literally this. It’s incredibly easy to work a computer toucher job and spend an hour at the gym three times a week or so. It’s much harder to work a physical labor job and avoid the long term effects of that