Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

As far as I know the pens are pretty much the same.

Thought so, thanks for the confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PetaPixel did a S24U, iPhone 15 Pro Max, and Google Pixel 8 Pro showdown.

https://youtu.be/x8t51GEnJyw?si=_Jm8i3xno_q9NGlm

P8P wins Ultrawide, Main, 5x telephoto, Night Mode.

iPhone 15 Pro Max wins Portrait mode and video.

S24U…tied for 2nd with the ultrawide?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cross post from the game's thread...

Seems like Slay the Spire, and specifically cloud/save transfers are hella bugged in Android 14, and cloud backup + dailies are busted. This is excellent timing after getting a new phone, and needing to send my old one back for trade-in next week. Just hoping it gets fixed quick (yeah right) or that my old folder will work after a patch.

Currently it crashes after the intro logos if I copy my data in manually via a Windows desktop before installing the game. If I install the game before copying my data, I can't write to the folders mysteriously.

Sounds like a permissions issue. Solid Explorer can't see my Android data files on the OP12, but still works fine on the OP9 on Android 13.1.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
For a very long time I had to app switch away from StS to get it past the Syncing screen at start up. Seems to have been resolved 2 weeks ago but yeah overall that side of it is a buggy mess.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
Got my S24U last night as an upgrade from my Note 20 5G. Great feeling phone so far, the difference in low light camera quality is wild.

Note 20 5G Max zoom out a window

S24U Max zoom out a window

Definitely need to put it through its paces some more, but very happy w/ the purchase.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there any way through an app or another method that you can Miracast from a pixel 6 pro?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Got a notification about circle search but it doesn't seem to work? Even in the pixel tips app "try it now" thing I can't get it to detect me holding that spot on the screen. Do I have to enable it or something???

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hark posted:

Got a notification about circle search but it doesn't seem to work? Even in the pixel tips app "try it now" thing I can't get it to detect me holding that spot on the screen. Do I have to enable it or something???

I didn't have to do anything to make it start working on mine. Is everything updated in the Play Store?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i got circle search on my pixel but im failing to see how it's any more useful than a half swipe up and hitting "select" where you can highlight text and hit "search" or tap an image and hit "lens"

it basically does the same thing

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i got circle search on my pixel but im failing to see how it's any more useful than a half swipe up and hitting "select" where you can highlight text and hit "search" or tap an image and hit "lens"

it basically does the same thing

circle search is same thing as lens, even my nexus 7 and moto from same era had context search if you triggered the assistant which then was ok google when you had an app open

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Seems the important part is that it happens in the same app? You're not switching to another app to see what that thing is. There's some other cool sounding things that could save a little time. Like this

With multisearch — the ability to search with text and images at the same time — and our latest AI-powered upgrades, you can more easily understand concepts, ideas or topics from helpful information that’s pulled together from across the web. Simply circle the corn dog and ask a question, like "Why are these so popular?" You’ll quickly learn that these sweet and savory treats are Korean corn dogs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.google/products/search/google-circle-to-search-android/amp/

Maybe this is all marketing speak but it seems cooler than highlight and web search or lens

Edit: that's assuming it actually works all the time. If it's Bard based well... Bard sucks

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a credit card in my Google Wallet, and in GPay - but I don't have the physical card in my hand yet. How can I make this card available for use in Chrome?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I am now an S24U haver. How durable are phones these days? I've never broken a phone but I've always used some sort of solid otterbox case. I got one with the phone but it's just slightly too big to fit in my work pants comfortably and I'm not ready to go full boomer belt clip. I'm considering just going caseless and hoping it can bounce off the metal floors at work as safely as my s8 the few times I've dropped it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I don't think I ever got a popup or told anything about circle to search. I didn't even realize I was supposed to hold the bottom of the screen until I saw an article on my news app talking about some people having issues with the placement.

This whole time I kept launching Assistant via holding the power button and trying to circle things. Why in the world didn't they just integrate it into that screen? There's even a "search screen" button when I launch assistant.

I mean, I realize the answer is Because Google, but it's pretty unintuitive after they spent so many years trying to get us to use Assistant on their primary buttons and such.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KodiakRS posted:

I am now an S24U haver. How durable are phones these days? I've never broken a phone but I've always used some sort of solid otterbox case. I got one with the phone but it's just slightly too big to fit in my work pants comfortably and I'm not ready to go full boomer belt clip. I'm considering just going caseless and hoping it can bounce off the metal floors at work as safely as my s8 the few times I've dropped it.

I don't think an otterbox is really necessary unless you like the look. I usually just grab a low profile case from Amazon, clear so I can see the phone. I like the brand Spigen, I have one for my 22U with a little kickstand that comes in handy but isn't too bulky.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

explosivo posted:

I don't think an otterbox is really necessary unless you like the look. I usually just grab a low profile case from Amazon, clear so I can see the phone. I like the brand Spigen, I have one for my 22U with a little kickstand that comes in handy but isn't too bulky.

Using a Spigen case with a kickstand on my p8p right now and it's great. Dropped my phone dozens of times already and no problems so far.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hark posted:

Using a Spigen case with a kickstand on my p8p right now and it's great. Dropped my phone dozens of times already and no problems so far.

Does the kickstand interfere with wireless charging?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

isndl posted:

Does the kickstand interfere with wireless charging?

I never even considered that, but no not at all so far.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's actually positioned perfectly on mine to help with wireless charging because the bump that sticks out catches against whatever charger I'm using when I place it on there, if that makes any sense. Makes it easy to do in the dark like on the bedside table at night.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I have a credit card in my Google Wallet, and in GPay - but I don't have the physical card in my hand yet. How can I make this card available for use in Chrome?

the cards in google pay only show up in browser google pay if you add them in https://pay.google.com/pay/u/0/home before enabling the nfc, so unless your bank is one of those that give you access to a virtual card before yours arrives there isn't a way.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sorry, I meant that I wanted to make it an option in Chrome's autocomplete. I had my dad send me pics of the card front and back via Signal, and entered it manually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Look at that, the S24U has a newer ultrasonic sensor so it's not just in my head that it works better.

https://9to5google.com/2024/02/05/samsung-galaxy-s24-ultra-fingerprint-sensor/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

New rumor has the Pixel Fold 2 aligning with the Pixel 9 release which means it skips the G3 and being behind a generation in SOC and will launch with the G4 and all the features of the Pixel 9 line.

Also rumored is 16g of RAM and UFS 4.0.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

New rumor has the Pixel Fold 2 aligning with the Pixel 9 release which means it skips the G3 and being behind a generation in SOC and will launch with the G4 and all the features of the Pixel 9 line.

Also rumored is 16g of RAM and UFS 4.0.

16gb of ram? I'm gonna need at least 64gb if I ever want to open a second chrome tab

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Bard is now gemini and has an app. I don't have access to circle to search so I dunno if they are now competing in any way. In any case circle to search is probably a lot faster since it's on board.

I tried gemini, it replaces Google assistant. It's pretty cool. Does all the normal chat bot poo poo but the coolest thing is it will act on your current screen, so if a website it you can ask it to summarize it or whatever. Could be cool if Google actually puts work into it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Bard is now gemini and has an app. I don't have access to circle to search so I dunno if they are now competing in any way. In any case circle to search is probably a lot faster since it's on board.

I tried gemini, it replaces Google assistant. It's pretty cool. Does all the normal chat bot poo poo but the coolest thing is it will act on your current screen, so if a website it you can ask it to summarize it or whatever. Could be cool if Google actually puts work into it

Does it do all the Google Assistant things like smart home control?

edit: just tried it out, it can't control things like lights and music. It gives you an error message. It pretty much replaces Google Assistant with a worse ChatGPT :\

I hope Google keeps iterating on this idea, because Google Assistant struggles with natural language inputs, but this ain't it

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Oof I didn't even think to check that. Yea doesn't work for me either, but itp doesn't give an error it just hangs. Edit: wonder if it should be passing this to old assistant like it said it would. It makes the old Google assistant sound bloop when I ask for it to turn on a light but then assistant never takes over I guess

Guess I can't use it though cause about the only thing I use Google assistant for is controlling stuff.

And yea Google assistant with natural language with be nice. I kinda hate Google assistant lately. It's been doing this annoying thing on the home hub where after it turns on the light I asked for it keeps listening and then starts googling random poo poo we're talking about around it and it's like shut up Google no one's talking to you

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, circle to search is apparently in the quarterly beta for other Pixels in the latest update.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

smoobles posted:

Does it do all the Google Assistant things like smart home control?

edit: just tried it out, it can't control things like lights and music. It gives you an error message. It pretty much replaces Google Assistant with a worse ChatGPT :\

I hope Google keeps iterating on this idea, because Google Assistant struggles with natural language inputs, but this ain't it

So I just realized after you talk to it the command sits there. You have to click the send button to make it do it. Dumb, but better than it not supporting it all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How do I get this Gemini thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

only if your birthday is between 21 May and 21 June

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

only if your birthday is between 21 May and 21 June

gently caress

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.bard

I just uninstalled it to get Google assistant back. Having to push send on Google home commands was stupid but not being able to use routines is a deal breaker. (you can't use routines with it)

Way to Google, releasing a bunch of half baked poo poo is surely the way to get ahead. I can't believe they have a 20 dollar per month version of this crap (baked into Google one)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

death to america

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

CLAM DOWN posted:

death to america

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Honestly, you're not missing much. Let it get a couple of updates first.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Play Store recommends three different crypto apps as "similar". Thanks Google!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Gemini wanted to replace Google assistant and the first thing I ask it to do is "resume podcast playback" and it says it can't so I asked it" why can Google assistant do it and you can't" and it said" because I'm a large language model" so I set Google assistant back as the default

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google canceled a good app (Podcasts) and created a bad app (Gemini). It is as it always is. Sunrise, sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Gemini wanted to replace Google assistant and the first thing I ask it to do is "resume podcast playback" and it says it can't so I asked it" why can Google assistant do it and you can't" and it said" because I'm a large language model" so I set Google assistant back as the default

I find this way too funny. Google'd big time.

And yeah, Podcasts is great and I use it everyday so of course it has to die.