Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Britain would be lovely if it weren't for the English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol why are people hating on the british landscape. its just nature. you don't need to dunk on it. it didnt have an empire and slavery and poo poo. its just trees and rocks

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol why are people hating on the british landscape. its just nature. you don't need to dunk on it. it didnt have an empire and slavery and poo poo. its just trees and rocks

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

*points to rock* CANCELLED

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It can't help it, it's got hundreds of years of bad vibes accumulated from British people living on it. :smith:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They have a terrible habit of pouring concrete on literally anything but they haven't covered the entire island yet

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I can't wait til Everest is the world's highest parking lot. Sherpa valets.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

to be fair, most of it is nature - most of the nature. It's been densely settled by farming people for 5000+ years, there's literally no truly natural landscape left. There's some cool rewilding projects going on in Scotland and elsewhere though, and even the more stripped mountain landscapes are very beautiful even if they are sheep-grazed deserts

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Not very many trees anymore, I'm afraid :( the deforestation across most of Europe is just appalling, especially of old growth forests which are the most impressive ones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The US is also missing like 90% of its old growth forests, but it's just a much vaster country and a lot of the wilderness areas were only lightly modified by indigenous peoples before european settlers came, so it's more "unspoiled".

Note that this is a map of old growth loss, not tree loss: a decent chunk of the old growth forest is replaced with new growth.

This continent has also had people living on it since the last ice age, but population density was lower, and it didn't get deforested to build ships in the 1600s although they sure gave it a try.

That said, "unspoiledness" or even "has trees" isn't the only factor that determines whether a landscape is majestic. IMO.

There's not many trees you can see from Everest summit, either.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

hating on the british

because, british

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

The US is also missing like 90% of its old growth forests, but it's just a much vaster country and a lot of the wilderness areas were only lightly modified by indigenous peoples before european settlers came, so it's more "unspoiled".

Note that this is a map of old growth loss, not tree loss: a decent chunk of the old growth forest is replaced with new growth.

This continent has also had people living on it since the last ice age, but population density was lower, and it didn't get deforested to build ships in the 1600s although they sure gave it a try.

That said, "unspoiledness" or even "has trees" isn't the only factor that determines whether a landscape is majestic. IMO.

I was driving around rural Oregon and saw a sign where they had harvested a forest like 5 or 6 times over the past 120+ years (forgive me, I was driving and not taking pictures). They also stated that Oregon produces the most lumber, and has more trees now than they did 100 years ago. It gave me some hope, anyways.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm going to be the first person to plant a tree on the summit once climate change gets rid of all that nasty ice and snow up there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
A thread about stepping over people slowly suffocating to death and this is what I find depressing

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah thanks to mountaineers :mad:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I was driving around rural Oregon and saw a sign where they had harvested a forest like 5 or 6 times over the past 120+ years (forgive me, I was driving and not taking pictures). They also stated that Oregon produces the most lumber, and has more trees now than they did 100 years ago. It gave me some hope, anyways.

It's not that hopeful. Forests planted for harvest are 99.9% of the time just total monocultures of the same tree, they sorta resemble a forest from far away but they don't support the habitat for a huge range of plants and animals and fungi that were there in the natural original forestland. That monoculture also makes them super vulnerable to pests: see pine borer beetle killing vast swathes of artificial forestland, and acting as incubators so it can also attack the pines in those few remaining pockets of old growth.

Rewilding is a thing, and there are test cases being done here and there, but for the most part national forest service plantations are there for the wood industry first and foremost. Better than just paving everything over, for sure, but not "great."

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

nothing has taught me more about deforestation in early America than the game Banished. oh, i need some trees, let me just cut some down. there's plenty! and then you have to go farther and farther away to get logs until you've clearcut everything you can access

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
This thread has also been about book recommendations so go read The Golden Spruce to get real depressed about logging

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aardvaard posted:

nothing has taught me more about deforestation in early America than the game Banished. oh, i need some trees, let me just cut some down. there's plenty! and then you have to go farther and farther away to get logs until you've clearcut everything you can access

There was a point where the federal government, around Teddy Roosevelt's term, started trying to protect some forestlands and it drove a mad scramble by companies to claim and log as much as they could to try and stay ahead of that effort. Just madly chopping down everything so it wouldn't get protected in time. One of the driving forces for getting rail run west was to improve access to the trees faster than the competition.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Circa 5000 years ago, large parts of England were temperate rainforest. There's a couple of acres of temperate rainforest left; all the rest was removed to make way for agriculture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and to build ships
so many ships

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shoehead posted:

A thread about stepping over people slowly suffocating to death and this is what I find depressing

The trees didn't choose their fate, the climbers made a conscious effort and spent a great deal of money for theirs.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Leperflesh posted:

and to build ships
so many ships

i read somewhere that there's a joint navy/coastguard forest somewhere in the midwest that's used to keep their two wooden-hulled ships seaworthy and it takes a shockingly huge amount of land to sustainably harvest enough. for two ships. that are already built. it's amazing there are any trees left anywhere

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a significant function of the british empire's colonies was to harvest and send back to england vast quantities of wood for shipbuilding to maintain a military fleet substantial enough to maintain the british empire against the other colonial powers, especially spain

like a single ship of the line took thousands of mature oak trees to build, trees that take a century or more to grow to a useful size

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Conversely France may have some nice spots but unfortunately the entire country is smeared with dogshit

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

knox_harrington posted:

Conversely France may have some nice spots but unfortunately the entire country is smeared with dogshit

they've innovated something i have never seen elsewhere though, little fenced off dog poo sections of parks. like a litter box the size of a parking space or two, so the dogs can poo poo in a separate area. i want to see more of this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe people could innovate the ability to clean up after their dogs?

My favorite is the bag of poo poo on the side of the trail. Every time someone posts this to Facebook there's a dozen 'but we pick them up on the way home!' when that's clearly not the case.

There's trails so covered in poo poo and rubbish they look like Everest Basecamp.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I pack my dog poo poo up to Basecamp

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

We need to put a dog on the summit of Everest, it's the last First

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Tangental, but a while ago a few folks made charitable donations and I got this endearingly low-key email today from one of them, APA Sherpa Foundation:

https://mailchi.mp/apasherpa/apa-sherpa-foundation-updates?e=e365177120

two weeks late, but this is honestly the best thing I have seen on this site

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo yeah throw them $20 if you can, like $20 goes a long way in Nepal when it comes to like kids lunches and warm underwear etc.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

they've innovated something i have never seen elsewhere though, little fenced off dog poo sections of parks. like a litter box the size of a parking space or two, so the dogs can poo poo in a separate area. i want to see more of this

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

it's a question mark. It's on your keyboard

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

:lol:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

jesus christ dude, you didnt need to kill him

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it's a fair cop

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Feels like this joke was stolen from another goon

We're not 4chan. Do better, goons.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

credburn posted:

We're not 4chan. Do better, goons.

Turn on ur monitor

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

There's no way that map is accurate. Olympic National Park in Washington has huge swaths of unlogged old growth rain forest that don't show up on it. There's national forest land that was unfortunately not protected but Olympic National Park is big enough that it should show up on that map.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/loggingolympicwwii.htm#:~:text=The%20Hoh%20River%20and%20Bogachiel,land%20known%20as%20Queets%20Corridor.
https://www.ijpr.org/show/the-jefferson-exchange/2022-10-04/wed-8-30-researchers-make-a-map-of-all-old-growth-forest-in-lower-48
https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/washington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

credburn posted:

much like your posting