Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my brain immediately read that as a portmanteau of fester's quest and i feel like i have to apologize to the game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i think finally gonna start Crisis Core.
do you think I get more out of Rebirth if I play this first.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

almost certainly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Yes, I am pretty sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GateOfD posted:

In my opinion, unfortunately yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
crisis core is good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna go play the final fantasy that has no party

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did you know that the japanese script for mystic quest calls one of the party members, locke

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess mystic quest actually does have a party of sorts. i was lied to

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the axe girl was cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am thinking of playing mystic quest this year

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's bearable if you're okay with fast forwarding through literally every battle and putting no thought into anything. and also okay with the entire script obviously being written for like. preschoolers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's very funny that the back of the japanese box for mystic quest hypes it up as "THE LONG-AWAITED REVERSE IMPORT! THE AMERICAN FINAL FANTASY!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love Mystic Quest and always will, despite its many, many flaws.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mystic quest is neat but I've never been able to play it through like the first few areas without getting bored.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

just play the theatrhythm final bar line mystic quest songs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

they want shady
May 11, 2013
i've finished Octopath. Probably should go unto saga next but I've been loving Infinite Wealth a lot since

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Honestly Infinite Wealth Is a near perfect RPG as long as you don't care about gals

they want shady
May 11, 2013
If you do It becomes a way More nuanced affair

they want shady fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

they want shady
May 11, 2013

What game Is that from?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

TurnipFritter posted:

just play the theatrhythm final bar line mystic quest songs

I genuinely checked out Mystic Quest based solely on how hard the Theatrhythm songs went and I was fairly disappointed

they want shady
May 11, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

I genuinely checked out Mystic Quest based solely on how hard the Theatrhythm songs went and I was fairly disappointed

That's normal. At least the way I see It.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
For all the good and bad Ff 3 Mystic Quest Is still an old school RPH

they want shady
May 11, 2013
*RPG

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Mystic Quest is one of those games where I wish a more challenging game using it's mechanics existed. I love the platforming, dungeon tools, choke point enemies who don't respawn, etc. And then I realize that this explains my love of magic tower games and Lufia II-styled dungeons.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
luffia 2 is an incredible game, and that comparison retroactively has increased my opinion of mystic quest, a game i normally have nothing great to say about

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Crisis Core seems alrite.
the slot machine thing for leveling anything up is kind of weird.

The whole game seems very arcade-y, no real rpg things to do, just do missions, go down the straight path on the map, maybe a side cave for a chest. Still more of an rpg than FF16 at least. I'm fine with it, since a short pre-made before rebirth is what I'm looking for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I recommended Mystic Quest to a dying person as a stupid child and they got through that and FFIV before dying and mentioned that I had the nicest suggestion of anyone so in summary Mystic Quest is the greatest RPG ever made and I will irrationally fight for this point to the death.

FFIV still sucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

they want shady posted:

Honestly Infinite Wealth Is a near perfect RPG as long as you don't care about gals

gals are epic

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Agnea's story in Octopath 2 is so goddamn boring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

The whole game seems very arcade-y, no real rpg things to do, just do missions, go down the straight path on the map, maybe a side cave for a chest. Still more of an rpg than FF16 at least. I'm fine with it, since a short pre-made before rebirth is what I'm looking for.

Yeah, Crisis Core was made for handhelds for quick bursts of play in between commuting, so it makes sense that it’s simple in that way. Still kinda jank though, maybe the remaster fixed it but at least on PSP it was kind of insufferable doing a mission and having a random encounter pop up that you already beat.

kirbysuperstar posted:

gals are epic

Gals are epic, but I think OP is referring more to how well some of them get treated. I’m still only on Chapter 5 because it’s by far the biggest LAD game wrt side poo poo though so idk for certain.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

yea, hers bored me to tears, the overall conspiracy in each part was so underwhelming to me too

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe I'm not up to date to marketing, but Infinite Wealth released so quietly.
Loved the previous one, so probably will pick it up once the price lowers. The gals in it are great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Yeah it looks better but it's still very much a PSP game at heart no matter how you slice it. It's got a drat good protagonist and assortment of characters in it though so that makes up for it.

On an unrelated note, I think that after playing about 10 hunts in the Granblue Fantasy demo they've done what I was expecting every other recent superhero team game that let everyone down like to play like Gotham Knights, Marvel's Avengers and Suicide Squad to play like. Everyone plays differently from each other and they're all cool, even if Rackam's the simplest one of the cast.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 10, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Maybe I'm not up to date to marketing, but Infinite Wealth released so quietly.
Loved the previous one, so probably will pick it up once the price lowers. The gals in it are great.

Infinite Wealth is on track to being the best selling RGG Studio game in history so it probably did something right wrt the marketing. Would definitely recommend grabbing it on sale, it has enough content to justify the $70 but otoh it’s probably gonna go on sale in like a month if the previous game is any indication so why pay more.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Theatrhythm doesn't even have the best Mystic Quest song, which is the fire town version of the town theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked hers as a change of pace from how serious everyone else's story is.

I also enjoyed how she is surrounded by lesbians and is totally oblivious to it.