Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I just started attending a couple weeks ago, mics are off, there's a channel on the Discord to chat about the movies. The first movie tonight is from the director of an absolutely insane feature we had last week if anyone wants to poke their head in pre-Weathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

poisonpill posted:

When is action Jackson? And also I think I’m somehow banned from discord; how do I sign up?

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033931551-Getting-Started This might help?

Also the default is mic disabled yeah. Certain members have the "movieperson" status that gives them the option of turning on their microphone and talking in case there's some kinda pressing need for it but I don't think anybody actually does.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

would have loved a new york style italian accent with hand talking and everything. “whatsa matta you, ah luigi?!”

Chris Pratt as Garfield: "Mamma-mia, I love-a the lasagna but I no like-a the Mondays!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Chris Pratt as Garfield: "Mamma-mia, I love-a the lasagna but I no like-a the Mondays!"

That gets him the Emmy nod

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Chris Pratt as Garfield: "Mamma-mia, I love-a the lasagna but I no like-a the homosexuals!”

mystes
May 31, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Chris Pratt as Garfield: "Mamma-mia, I love-a the lasagna but I no like-a the homosexuals!”
Nermal is going to be very disappointed

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

poisonpill posted:

For the last time Mr Pratt, that isnt what is in the script

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

Beetlejuice² trailer will have a synthwave cover of Day-O with ethereal female vocals or I’m out

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Beetlejuice² trailer will have a synthwave cover of Day-O with ethereal female vocals or I’m out

(plaintive piano chord) Come mister tally man, tally me ba na na (echoing sound) na na na na na na na na

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Breaking bad is perhaps the perfect pilot. I’d elaborate but I’m tired

it did establish pretty well that WW is a monster but it didnt grab me enough to watch any other episode

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endless Trash posted:

excited to watch Caroline Polachek perform the theme from Beetlejuice² at the 2025 Oscars

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

saw dune (2021) reissue in imax with my partner

not sure what to say here tbh, it's fuckin dune. it owned obviously

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Dune ‘85/Dune ‘21 double feature

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

No Mods No Masters posted:

Fear not, we have an escape from x jakk chat. That's right, it's the only topic more beloved of the posters

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1755622563923857769

This ended up being a nothing.

Empire’s latest issue is a look back at the prequel trilogy in an attempt to rehab them and say “no the prequels were good, actually. I suspect Disney paid them for it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To be sure. But in my defense, any port in an x jakk storm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

a jakk hole, if you will

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jose Oquendo posted:

This ended up being a nothing.

Empire’s latest issue is a look back at the prequel trilogy in an attempt to rehab them and say “no the prequels were good, actually. I suspect Disney paid them for it.

SA predicted the future once again. God I hated SGM's posts

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

trilobite terror posted:

a jakk hole, if you will

I absolutely will not

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
People talking about perfect pilots and not mentioning Mad Men, smh

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

omfg where has dinner in america been my whole life

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kingo Ligma posted:

I absolutely will not

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

I absolutely will not

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Has there been a worst pilot? Like you watch the pilot, then you watch the series, and it feels like you got a bait-and-switch with what you were promised vs what you got?

(Some rear end in a top hat in the 60s watching the original Trek pilot, getting pissed off at the whole new cast when the series goes to air.)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I'd totally forgotten where "well, it's all the range in Minnesota" first entered my lexicon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

trilobite terror posted:

a jakk hole, if you will

I prefer classy Milwaukee establishments like the Manhole, myself.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I was actually thinking of the xmen movies with sansa but go off

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LanceHunter posted:

On the one hand, weird. On the other hand, good on Monique Gabrielle for securing the bag for whatever they paid her to make this "officially licensed". On the third hand, it would be awesome if one of these could get sent to the lady at Rogue Hobbies so she could do one of her bright-but-weird paint jobs on it.

for those unfamiliar, this chick once painted a model so it would only look normal when the colors were inverted

What it actually looks like on the left, colors inverted on the right

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Space Kablooey posted:

it did establish pretty well that WW is a monster but it didnt grab me enough to watch any other episode

So a pilot is really really hard to do well, because you have a ton of competing priorities that basically don’t align. You have to, first and foremost, establish your characters. They should be unique and interesting and fleshed out enough that the audience gets who they are, so you’ve gotta have them do their mannerisms, talk how they’re gonna talk, etc.

But, you also need to start the plot of the series. This is true even if it’s just a sitcom or whatever with not overarching multi-episode plot. You’ve got your baseline, the way their lives used to be, and the inciting event. You somehow need to, while establishing the characters, ALSO show how their lives were before the pilot, and then have some inciting event that changes it to the premise of the series (astronaut finds a sexy genie in a bottle; three girl’s mom dies and their cool uncle and dad’s weirdo best friend moves in; Rachel runs away from her wedding, sees her old friend Monica, and moves in).

ALSO, while you’re juggling introducing the characters and putting these major plots in place, you have to be entertaining enough that more episodes get made, and people want to actually watch the sho so put some of your best jokes/dramatic moments in there. But it has to be clear and you don’t want people (and idiot studio suits) getting confused, so it has to be clear, don’t make it overstuffed. Pull everything unnecessary out.

Oh, and do it all in 21 or 43 minutes.

It’s almost impossible. But somehow Breaking Bad does it. We meet WW, a mopey science teacher humiliated by his life (annoying kid, has to work at a car wash, brash DEA brother in law) who finds out he has cancer. And somehow, we see him decide to make and sell meth, and it leads to him in the desert in his underwear holding a gun (perfect use of an intriguing first image) killing a guy. And we all get it, it makes sense to the audience, even the people who say “oh I would never watch a show about drugs, YUCK” (and like 80% of the credit goes to Bryan Cranston here). And it does it all so perfectly, logically, and naturally you don’t realize how quickly you GET the premise of the show.

Breaking Bad had the perfect pilot.

Worst? Eh, maybe Seinfeld or Parks and Rec

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

lol at discussing bad pilots and not bringing up encounter at farpoint

it hits all the notes that a pilot should and yet it's still boring and bland

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Gutcruncher posted:

For the last time Mr Pratt, that isnt what is in the script

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the only first episode that really stands out in memory to me is the walking dead, for being so good it tricked me into sticking with the show for much longer than I should have.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JediTalentAgent posted:

Has there been a worst pilot? Like you watch the pilot, then you watch the series, and it feels like you got a bait-and-switch with what you were promised vs what you got?

(Some rear end in a top hat in the 60s watching the original Trek pilot, getting pissed off at the whole new cast when the series goes to air.)

Macross Delta has gotta be up there. The pilot came out a few months before the series actually started and felt like a big evolution of the giant robots + singing concept from previous Macrosses. There was a pop group descending into battle on rocket skirts to try to change the course of the battle through their song. They were protected by a giant robot that did break dance fighting.

Then the series gets started, episode 2 hits, and the rocket skirts and break dance fighting are literally never seen again. The whole rest of the show was pretty boring.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

the only first episode that really stands out in memory to me is the walking dead, for being so good it tricked me into sticking with the show for much longer than I should have.

Yeah

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Stargate.
Maybe not the worst, but definitely the least representative of the rest of the show, what with the full frontal nudity and alien worm rape.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1756320192773198150?t=Y6FjePS_myZwYafxdEC8sQ&s=19

Finally!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Movies are dead

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

cinema is back

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wonder how this will do, but also explains why that Empire article came out.

Is this a long-con Morbius situation?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Don't threaten me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ll probably get really really really high and see it, ngl

just for the podracing