Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It probably means Re-Logic bought ad space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it's literally just shout outs notch put in his game when he was still working on it. i think only two of those main menu texts has ever gotten removed since notch stopped working on the game and got himself cancelled. terraria itself has a randomized text element on the window if you play windowed mode iirc and that one can also sometimes say something like "also try: minecraft" as a nod back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those are sometimes quite funny puns. My favorite is "I wanna be the guide".

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I like Terraria: Terraria: Terraria

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what's the latest news in Terraria modding? Any new big mods get complete?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
For April Fools Relogic released the "UnDeluxe" version, which is the very first release of the game. You can get it in the betas tab on Steam. (Dunno how it works for the other versions)

How did we ever survive without the smart cursor?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Man I know its great that they keep adding content but I really want to know if there will ever be an end in sight. I have whatever the opposite of FOMO is and I don't like to play games until they are completely done (largely because I just about never ever re-play games so I want my playthrough to be a content-complete one)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The game is finished for all intents and purposes.

The wiki has a pretty thorough list of documented/hinted/guessed at features and it's all miscellaneous stuff like (chosen at random from the list)

quote:

A frog-themed accessory.
Placeable versions of background objects including Demon Altar.
A functional use for Stink Potions.
Slimes with Dart Traps inside them.
The item inside a slime can change its behavior. Some examples include: Cloud Blocks making slimes jump extra high.
Fish will appear in the water while fishing

So go ahead and play it! It's not like Valheim where there are entirely new biomes and bosses on the roadmap.

e:

Zereth posted:

So what's the latest news in Terraria modding? Any new big mods get complete?

I'm curious about this as well.

For anyone who likes mashing mods together or you just want to revisit one, we're at a rare moment when almost all of the popular content mods(Thorium, Spirit, Consolaria, Cataclysm, Fargo, a bunch of others) are compatible with the latest version of Terraria and Tmodloader.

There's usually always a couple that are out of date and sometimes it can take months or years for them to catch up.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 7, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kwolok posted:

Man I know its great that they keep adding content but I really want to know if there will ever be an end in sight. I have whatever the opposite of FOMO is and I don't like to play games until they are completely done (largely because I just about never ever re-play games so I want my playthrough to be a content-complete one)

No game is ever completely done in this environment. If devs stop working on a game, the community can come in. As long as the devs think there is interest, they’ll keep developing it. Not to mention the fact every time you play terraria it will be a different experience because of the extensive randomness involved in the game. Someone else can correct me but I’d say to see all of what Terraria has to offer, you’d need to replay it at least 20 times.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Everyone knows Terraria is totally done and will not get any more updates ever, this may change tomorrow or next month. Or yesterday.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah I mean Journey's End, the "final update" from the title, came out 4 years ago and has had multiple updates since. The Terraria team are famously awful at calling it a day

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Red's got a specific type of brain problem where he wants to just keep fiddling away with this game and hypothetically maybe work on a sequel (but probably not) whenever he gets the itch. It's one of the best selling games of all time so I guess he's got the luxury of doing that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You'd think a sequel would allow a broader area to fiddle in and make dumptrucks of money from the people who are done with Terraria 1, but what do I know.

This is his world map concept for Terraria 2, shared two years ago. Maybe he knows he could only bottle lightning the one time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is that a Neopolitan biome in the lower right there

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

You think Terraria is good now? What if everything was a hard grid with a Neopolitan segment?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm the rear end-shaped cavern in the lower left.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Terraria 2 should be just be Starbound, if it didn't suck.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just something simple like planet that would loop back around after an ocean or two would be cool

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just something simple like planet that would loop back around after an ocean or two would be cool
Maybe a limited, specific number of alternate dimensions, too. Maybe going to the Blood Moon physically, for example. Infinite numbers of planets like Starbound had didn't really work out, especially since they were all very, very similar. A set amount of Places which are guaranteed to have Something Of Interest in them is better, I think.

Mods already implement this but it's kinda hacky so having support from the base game for it would be helpful.

Also the current world sizes were set well before all the biomes were added so it gets really cramped, and sometimes surface biomes get entirely eaten by the corruption/crimson, or such.

Basically what I want is A: some iteration and new content, but a lot of the old stuff can be re-used, and B: more improtantly, buildign th game from the start knowing a lot of what's going to be added.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kwolok posted:

fwiw I think it’s been a long time since any of the content added to the game really *demanded* a fresh playthrough to properly experience it, and none of the content that’s been teased to come in the future will either.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Alright you have all convinced me. What world settings should I play on my first playthrough? Small, medium or large? Journey, classic, expert, or master? Corruption or crimson?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Medium or large, expert if you've any experience at all with video games, let the game decide.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kwolok posted:

Alright you have all convinced me. What world settings should I play on my first playthrough? Small, medium or large? Journey, classic, expert, or master? Corruption or crimson?

Unmodded, first playthrough? Small - Medium if you're feeling spicy and like to build. Classic or Expert, depending if you like challenge. Expert can be pushed through while Master is more for already knowing mechanics. Corruption/Crimson doesn't matter too much as you can just make another world with the other to visit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kwolok posted:

If you’re lazy like me, Journey is a great choice😀

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kwolok posted:

If you're playing alone, then:
- small or medium
- journey mode if you like it more sandboxy, classic if you're fine with more grinding
- doesn't matter

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Medium
Classic first, then Journey later imo. I know this sounds a little "eat your vegetables" but I swear you appreciate Journey way WAY more if you've played Classic before. Also Classic is still fun and good so it's not actually a problem :v:
Do you want oppressive darkness feelings? Or terrible meat horror feelings? I like both so I just let the game do the flip for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Small is perfectly fine for solo, it's not small at all. Medium is pushing it but if you play a large world solo, especially as your first experience, you're going to hate yourself.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a boring slow pace guy every playthrough, I love Medium. Small is far too cramped (even vertically, lower sky enemy spawn ceiling if you like sky trains). But Large makes me regret my life choices shouting "I have how much deeper to go until I hit hell!?" with pre hardmode digging options, even going in a straight line downwards from my house with detours for lava draining.

If you are worried about challenge, Journey mode can play nearly identical to classic except for your starting tools being iron instead of copper, and your free accessories you can just put away if you think they would be cheating (and early game wings IS pretty bullshit).

Granted, if you are the sort of player who can't tell yourself "I have not earned enough money to buy this katana." and reach for the print money button even if you wanted to pace yourself, yeah stick to classic. I am stubborn enough to pass up wandering merchant toys until I "earn" it, but I also can't bring myself to go back to classic fishing quests anymore.

Though I also have horrible luck with RNG in every game, so Journey mode letting me confirm "Yes, I can kill over 1,000+ of an enemy without the drop I want." in grind sessions sure didn't help my views there.

EDIT: I forgot you have things like cartoonishly long build range toggled on by default in journey mode, but you can turn that off.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 9, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Medium, classic (expert if you’re good at platforming and want some metroidvania style challenge.). It doesn’t matter what evil you go with, but I guess Corruption is the classic one. Crimson was added on an update

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

About to start up a large classic world with the drunk seed, so both corruption and crimson

Going to bounce between four characters as I find the right items

Melee
Ranged
Spells
Summon

Wish me luck 🍀

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why are you doing 4 separate characters? The only character inherent stats are max health and max mana, everything else is outfits.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
And for classic you don't really even need to specialize your setups so just use whatever is fun at the moment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The loadouts are a godsend for switching class on the fly.

Plus it’s encouraged me not to crutch on the magic carpet in the early game

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Welp I did finally start the new world on classic, medium. I immediately found an adept finch staff and now I have the best bird friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Well they have four different haircuts see. And that's four times the time spent chilling and ore farming. And it'll be fun to compare their progress as weapons drop. And they'll each have their own room in the main base ...