Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All the puzzle types in Penacony are very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Do not like the Hanu puzzles at all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My least favorite are the Clockie ones, because they feel a little fiddly for what actually counts as the path being "connected".

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

My least favorite are the Clockie ones, because they feel a little fiddly for what actually counts as the path being "connected".

If it helps, they run off a similar logic to the Dream's Edge puzzles, where what matters is that according to the current perspective, the path is connected.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wouldn't say they're fiddly at all, they're extremely deterministic and precise. Maybe you just don't fully understand the rules?

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I really liked the Clockie puzzles. The pinball stuff is kinda whatever, doesn't really feel like a puzzle to me, but it's fine. Hanu stuff is sometimes fine, but whenever it's "wait for enemy to move" type stealth, it really sucks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Obnoxipus posted:

If it helps, they run off a similar logic to the Dream's Edge puzzles, where what matters is that according to the current perspective, the path is connected.

yeah the trick is to "flatten" the image and make a 2d path that connects

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Obnoxipus posted:

Yeah, I mean I get how it works, I've just had times where it's looked right, then I twitch the mirror like a pixel to one direction or the other and suddenly he goes. :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You need a complete path, including all corners.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just spent a chunk of the day doing all of Penacony's sidequests and this take might be a bit controversial, but I think something's kinda hosed up about this planet. That's just me though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the dreamlogic clockie puzzles are cool and hell, one of my favorite puzzles in the game

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the only minigame I disliked was pinball, it's just connect the dots, there's no actual puzzle or challenge. the clockie puzzles are the standout

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Clockie puzzles and the wall walking are both beautiful and creative. You can tell a ton of effort went into them. The perspective zoom-out is more of a traversal trick but it's still really cool.

I didn't like the Hanu ones that much but I didn't hate them either.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The clockie puzzles are my favorite too. I think I'd have liked the dreamwalker one more if it's more streamlined but constantly having to press buttons to use and refill bubbles felt clunky.

JT Jag posted:

Just spent a chunk of the day doing all of Penacony's sidequests and this take might be a bit controversial, but I think something's kinda hosed up about this planet. That's just me though.

Yeah each new side mission I did was either :ohdear: or :stare:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Anything's better than the Luofu barge docking wheel. When only two of the rings are connected, it's trivial, and when all three of them are, it's so annoying that I started writing a script to solve them for me. (And then ran out of puzzles before I could finish it.)

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Wow, this might be the worst stat roll I've ever gotten. I used my last stat-modeling resin on this...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't like the fact that the music resets every time you switch planes in the wall-walking puzzles. Also they make the map super ugly. But doing them is pretty fun.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The Hanu puzzles are worth it for the :catstare: implications in the logs you get

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

JT Jag posted:

not just one, but two attempted suicides!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Meowywitch posted:

not just one, but two attempted suicides!
Plus you get to watch multiple people basically die. Very nice, family friendly stuff here on the Planet of Festivities.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Obnoxipus posted:

Wow, this might be the worst stat roll I've ever gotten. I used my last stat-modeling resin on this...

I appreciate the new UI telling you exactly how many times you rolled into bad stats

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

nice that the relics now rub it in on how bad you miss the right substats.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
i’m in the minority i guess with puzzle-chat, because i don’t care for penacony’s. loved the ones on the luofu a lot though, i miss them

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I love that no one wants Sparkle around. I said I wasn't going to roll on anyone in 2.0 but I might see if I can't win a 50/50 on her banner, thanks for all the extra gems Hoyo. I adore her ult animation and the boost to a Qingque mono quanto team is hard to resist. She's even tiny like the other girls!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I do love that with Sparkle you can fill a mono-quantum team with four unique flavors of gremlin.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I just noticed early in Penocony in the scene where Dr. Ratio is speaking with Aventurine in the hotel room, Aventurine specifically uses the phrase "Why so serious?" to Dr. Ratio at one point. Is this supposed to be Sparkle imitating Aventurine?

I like that they made Sparkle a real piece of poo poo. I hope they don't go with the "Well actually she has a good heart" route like they did with Topaz and just let her be rotten.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I tried to get Black Swan E1 and landed at the point where another 10 pull will pretty much guarantee. Do you think Black Swan E1 is better than an easy E0 Sparkle?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Symphoric posted:

I just noticed early in Penocony in the scene where Dr. Ratio is speaking with Aventurine in the hotel room, Aventurine specifically uses the phrase "Why so serious?" to Dr. Ratio at one point. Is this supposed to be Sparkle imitating Aventurine?

I like that they made Sparkle a real piece of poo poo. I hope they don't go with the "Well actually she has a good heart" route like they did with Topaz and just let her be rotten.

i haven't finished the story but doesn't that scene essentially boil down to ratio telling aventurine, 'you're stupid, you're being left here to die alone, i will not bail you out, see you later'? because i lol'd at that scene if i interpreted it correctly

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

i haven't finished the story but doesn't that scene essentially boil down to ratio telling aventurine, 'you're stupid, you're being left here to die alone, i will not bail you out, see you later'? because i lol'd at that scene if i interpreted it correctly

Yeah that's pretty much the same takeaway that I had.

As for the Sparkle thing, I just thought it was weird that Aventurine would use that phrase because it seems like the game is going out of its way to hammer home that it's Sparkle's catchphrase, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense for her to be posing as him in that scene (unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible because my brain is mush nowadays.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Symphoric posted:

Yeah that's pretty much the same takeaway that I had.

As for the Sparkle thing, I just thought it was weird that Aventurine would use that phrase because it seems like the game is going out of its way to hammer home that it's Sparkle's catchphrase, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense for her to be posing as him in that scene (unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible because my brain is mush nowadays.)

Could also be a hint that they're in cahoots. I doubt it's going to be important beyond foreshadowing, if only because I'm pretty sure that scene is before we meet Sparkle and her catch phrase.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly if it is hinting at anything I'd say it's hinting at Known Racist Sparkle disguising herself as Dr Ratio then saying racist things and Aventurine noticing it and subtly calling her out with her own catch phrase.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Has anyone done the sidequests in Penacony yet?

Not only did I not expect to prevent 3 suicides, I also didn't expect to meet Star Rail's version of Oppenheimer either.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Selenephos posted:

Has anyone done the sidequests in Penacony yet?

Not only did I not expect to prevent 3 suicides, I also didn't expect to meet Star Rail's version of Oppenheimer either.

I haven’t seen that last one, but I haven’t finished the emo side quests just yet. Some of them are pretty messed up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The most messed-up one imo is the receptionist's sister.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Emperor's definitely hosed up too.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 10, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She's a gender neutral Emperor.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

She's a gender neutral Emperor.

whoops yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I wonder if she's a nod to Emperor Norton. Not her backstory, of course, just the way people treat her.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I was definitely thinking the same, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

DontMindMe posted:

I tried to get Black Swan E1 and landed at the point where another 10 pull will pretty much guarantee. Do you think Black Swan E1 is better than an easy E0 Sparkle?

E1 Black Swan is pretty darned good, but I'll always recommend a new character over even the strongest Eidolons with the possible exception of the character in question being your fave.

Like if you adore Black Swan as both a character and as an unit, by all means get that E1, but Sparkle is looking to be a very powerful Harmony unit to have on any account.