Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

cephalopods posted:

this is how you get the bottom two thirds of employees in every corp reclassified as contractors or temps

Only if we continue to reason from an a priori that the law belongs to lawyers.

Societally there is absolutely no reason it is inherently impossible to make laws governed by intent rather than letter, enforced by judges who say "no, you don't get to exempt your lowest paid workers just by calling them contractors, and no, you don't get to pretend your salary is only $500,000 when you have a bunch of technically non-salary perks worth $15 million. GTFO, you're not allowed to have a management role anymore and your former company owes all the affected workers the money."

It would require a blood-running-like-rivers revolution to get there, of course. But our concept of the rule of law is drowned in technicalities only because it serves the interests of the 0.01%, not because it has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Only if we continue to reason from an a priori that the law belongs to lawyers.

Societally there is absolutely no reason it is inherently impossible to make laws governed by intent rather than letter, enforced by judges who say "no, you don't get to exempt your lowest paid workers just by calling them contractors, and no, you don't get to pretend your salary is only $500,000 when you have a bunch of technically non-salary perks worth $15 million. GTFO, you're not allowed to have a management role anymore and your former company owes all the affected workers the money."

It would require a blood-running-like-rivers revolution to get there, of course. But our concept of the rule of law is drowned in technicalities only because it serves the interests of the 0.01%, not because it has to be.

For what its worth, I've read its pretty established by court cases now that, for example McDonald's is legally responsible for what McDonald's restaurants do, even though the relevant McDonald's is owned by some boomer.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Pekinduck posted:

For what its worth, I've read its pretty established by court cases now that, for example McDonald's is legally responsible for what McDonald's restaurants do, even though the relevant McDonald's is owned by some boomer.

Yup, and it's for this reason that basically every franchisor will yank a franchise if the franchisee starts being a fuckhead and not playing by the rules.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Eric the Mauve posted:

Societally there is absolutely no reason it is inherently impossible to make laws governed by intent rather than letter

Slow down, Clarence Thomas

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY. The driver who has a military AND PO pension decided to retire, after much debate about getting severance, which management has said repeatedly no one is getting. His last day is this Friday. Dude kept complaining to everyone how he had two pensions plus Social Security but he didn't want to leave because he'd be so booooored at home.

Small good news: Auto-router is going away in a month. This means our dispatch will actually have to make routes for us/not sit there and tap a button while they watch movies/get drive-through.

So last Wednesday there was a fuckup. A delivery order went on 5 different drivers before our lovely auto-router left it on driver A. The order would be dropped on A, B, C, D, or E, sit there for a minute, then be bumped to the next or previous driver. This happened for about 30 minutes. Finally left on A. But A wasn't anywhere near the pickup point, because his route was empty, so he decided to drive home to wait for any work.

Driver B, not knowing this, saw the order sitting at our store, and called and asked to take it. He was refused because it was on A. Now Dispatch checked over and realized A was about 30 minutes away from pickup. This is odd. So they called our manager to find out why. Manager discovers not only A, but several drivers are in fact not at their home stores, have clear routes, and have driven to places they shouldn't be at, IE home.

Thursday there is a flush of angry emails from the manager, saying he is disappointed he has to tell us all this. We are NEVER to go home, we are to STAY AT OUR STORE, never use the van for personal poo poo, etc, and writeups will follow if anyone does this.

Friday, the driver C, who I have posted about before, who mostly goes home and has for months, clocked in and had no work. So he drove home in the work van. Manager saw this on GPS, called him, reamed him out, told him to get back to the store. Dispatch ended up loading up every driver who had been going home.

Monday I cross paths with C; he was called down to the manager's office for a write-up. He instead turned in his two weeks.

So we are down two drivers, or will be in another week or two. Auto-router is going away in two weeks.

And I still curse the fact I didn't get the DMV or state job working in a copy center. I was a perfect fit for the latter, the former I probably hosed up in the interview. Or the fact at both places, I was the only person wearing a mask.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm in awe of how god drat stupid your managers must be.

What an ending for the driver who punched in for months and had the titanium spine to hit them with a two weeks the second the free ride ended. What a legend, assuming the rocks for brains can't figure out they did it and sue for wages or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I need to start my own thread Captain Invictus style since I really don't fit in Retail at all but I figure y'all appreciate my stories.

Anyways, one of our hostler cabs caught fire last night, which I'm pissed that I missed because I took the night off (Had a dentist appointment during the day and everyone here just takes a night off if they have an appointment in the day). On the other hand it probably would have been me in the cab when it happened which would have been not fun.

It was the cab everyone hated and I got it because a) I'm the new guy and b) I'm huge and it had super stiff steering so driving it was a workout. Basically everyone goes "Alky's big and as a guy buff, give him the hostler with the exercise machine for a steering wheel." Honestly I didn't mind that part: the part that really drove me up the walls was that hitting the brakes when backing up caused the entire thing to vibrate. Everything shakes loose and the cabin would just go "BRRRRRR!" like you were sitting in the world's shittiest subwoofer.

Well that loud as gently caress vibration probably had to do with one of the seals on the wheels dying. Driver took a trailer out to the overflow yard only for the security guard at the gate to call out that it was smoking (actually he apparently started to go on about "Hey do those cabs have fire extinguishers?" Yes. Yes they do, it's a federal requirement. Dude's a babbler, we think he's bored and lonely in his shack). The wheel hub had been grinding and then got so hot that the tires caught fire.

As another note: oh my god the third party drivers are so aggressively DUMB! Had an awkward setup when moving a trailer due to some third party cabs picking up and dropping off their trailers near me. So what does one of them do? Make me nearly poo poo my seat by running behind my trailer to get to where I can see her give directions/act as a spotter. Once I get the thing situated she comes up and talks to me and says "Oh yeah, I know how it is: I used to be on the TOM Team"

And I'm just sitting there staring at her and nodding while I'm thinking "And how did you miss the fact that one of the lessons they never stop beating into your head on TOM is 'Never Approach, and absolutely never get behind, a vehicle with its engine running'? And you just ran behind me while I was actively backing up?"

As a side note I found a stash of hi-vis vests in a locker outside of one of the guard shack buildings. Snagged a few for my work bag and I plan to literally throw them at suicidal drivers who walk too close to me without wearing a hi-vis vest of their own.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think we can count as retail because I deliver to retail and you prevent customers from having to go to stores to make more thread content. 😊

If we lose two/three more drivers after these two, our manager might not have a job anymore. They'll just assign us to someone else.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
From everything I've heard about your manager, I'll get the mourning hats and mourning confetti ready for if that happens.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

And I'm just sitting there staring at her and nodding while I'm thinking "And how did you miss the fact that one of the lessons they never stop beating into your head on TOM is 'Never Approach, and absolutely never get behind, a vehicle with its engine running'? And you just ran behind me while I was actively backing up?"

As a side note I found a stash of hi-vis vests in a locker outside of one of the guard shack buildings. Snagged a few for my work bag and I plan to literally throw them at suicidal drivers who walk too close to me without wearing a hi-vis vest of their own.

I work receiving and have seen so, so many fellow employees sprint, jog or amble behind moving trucks, trailers, or my own forklift (or between my forklift and a wall).

At this point I think that there's just a certain percentage of people where a backup alarm acts on them like a kind of siren song.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lord Awkward posted:

I work receiving and have seen so, so many fellow employees sprint, jog or amble behind moving trucks, trailers, or my own forklift (or between my forklift and a wall).

At this point I think that there's just a certain percentage of people where a backup alarm acts on them like a kind of siren song.

Oh absolutely. At least the Security guy in the outbound shack asked on the radio today if the yard rules allowed him to walk around the truck to check something (no, absolutely not) before he actually did it.

I need to figure out how to get pics off of my work phone (it's an iPhone and I'm used to Android) because part of my job is just taking picture of hosed up poo poo in the yard so it can get fixed. I've got some pictures of the wheels of a trailer I just don't know how it physically got into the yard. Multiple tires were under-inflated to being nearly flat, one of them only 40 PSI (good for your daily driver, bad for a massively heavy intermodal trailer).

Shame I didn't take a picture of the inspection sticker I found today. Trailers are supposed to get official inspections yearly. The one I found had last been inspected during the Obama administration: couldn't find any more recent stickers anywhere on it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

I need to start my own thread Captain Invictus style since I really don't fit in Retail at all but I figure y'all appreciate my stories.

:justpost::posthaste:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alkydere posted:

I got you bro

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957387&pagenumber=702#lastpost

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
Our store manager had a heart attack earlier this week on the job. He'll pull through, but the owner's told us it'll be at least six months before he's back at work. Pretty upset about this. I've had occasional issues or gripes with the guy, like everyone would, but this makes them all seem pretty minor and petty. He's a guy who clearly loves his job, and always encourages us to learn new things / take on new responsibilities without pushing anybody who's happy where they are. Pretty broken up about this.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TCE posted:

Our store manager had a heart attack earlier this week on the job. He'll pull through, but the owner's told us it'll be at least six months before he's back at work. Pretty upset about this. I've had occasional issues or gripes with the guy, like everyone would, but this makes them all seem pretty minor and petty. He's a guy who clearly loves his job, and always encourages us to learn new things / take on new responsibilities without pushing anybody who's happy where they are. Pretty broken up about this.

Goddamn, that's awful. Glad he'll pull through!

e: Making $16/hour is worthless when your job only schedules you for 1-2 days a week. Last year I worked 21 days in February. This year? I have 6. My bank account keeps going into the negative and I have a whole week until payday (every other week). FML

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Crossposting something Bar Ran Dun posted in DnD that, well, we already know.

OPINION GUEST ESSAY:It’s Not Just Wages. Retailers Are Mistreating Workers in a More Insidious Way.By Adelle Waldman

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

A depressingly common sight in trailer yards:

Yard worker lines up their trailer on the door and starts backing up. Suddenly the third party drivers descend upon him much like seagulls who saw a potato chip.

-Driver 1 sees their trailer and races for it.
-Driver 2 sees their slot and races to back their trailer into it
-Driver 3 can't find their trailer so they race into the scrum to do a few circles in the middle of this impromptu ballet before exiting as if they were just another driver in a car commercial.

Thankfully it wasn't me in the middle of this headache, but I just sat there watching the chaos and hoping it would clear soon with no injuries or damage. Somehow everyone was okay.

Also my site has a whopping 12 yard hostlers. Or it's supposed to. At the start of shift we were down to 3 that are safe/legal to use from various issues like broken mirror, power steering exploded and "recently caught fire". At the end of shift we were down to 2. We had the work for 5 yard drivers tonight. We had 5 yard drivers. We didn't have the vehicles for them.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Well, if I understand correctly, those guys don’t get paid for sitting around waiting for a space. They get paid by the mile. So of course in that kind of “screw you” situation, they’re going to act like idiots. It’s the system that’s hosed up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh yeah, it's the system.

Us yard drivers are paid by the hour. Meanwhile the average commercial truck driver is paid by the mile driven. Both of us are limited by federal regulations how many hours we can be recorded as "On Duty" or "Driving" and need so many hours between shifts.

So us sitting around for five minutes while someone does something stupid? Yeah, no worries. Average commercial driver? 70% will sit around because it's not worth damaging your load or truck, 30% "RAAAAAGH! NO WAIT, ONLY MOVE! I HAD TO SIT ON MY rear end FOR AN HOUR WAITING FOR THIS LOAD!"

Then the second type get to our yard over 2 hours early and the Amazon system goes "Wait, you're not supposed to be here yet." and rejects them and they pop off. Or their load was cancelled or delayed due to issues in the building and they pop off. Or the moon is in retrograde atmospheric re-entry while Mars and Uranus are singing a duet and they pop off.

In short, about 1/3 of CDL drivers are the most aggro motherfuckers ever and we just do our best to avoid them when we can or de-escalate when we can't because we never know what's gonna cause them to burst a blood vessel. And a good chunk of why they are so aggressive is because of the system, while another chunk is just the type of people being a driver attracts.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Is this why three or four times a year I would see pictures on the Walmart Reddit of trailers getting pulled while people were still inside and unloading.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Durendal posted:

Is this why three or four times a year I would see pictures on the Walmart Reddit of trailers getting pulled while people were still inside and unloading.

That's probably someone loving up the pin lock on the trailer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Alkydere posted:

Oh yeah, it's the system.

Us yard drivers are paid by the hour. Meanwhile the average commercial truck driver is paid by the mile driven. Both of us are limited by federal regulations how many hours we can be recorded as "On Duty" or "Driving" and need so many hours between shifts.

So us sitting around for five minutes while someone does something stupid? Yeah, no worries. Average commercial driver? 70% will sit around because it's not worth damaging your load or truck, 30% "RAAAAAGH! NO WAIT, ONLY MOVE! I HAD TO SIT ON MY rear end FOR AN HOUR WAITING FOR THIS LOAD!"

Then the second type get to our yard over 2 hours early and the Amazon system goes "Wait, you're not supposed to be here yet." and rejects them and they pop off. Or their load was cancelled or delayed due to issues in the building and they pop off. Or the moon is in retrograde atmospheric re-entry while Mars and Uranus are singing a duet and they pop off.

In short, about 1/3 of CDL drivers are the most aggro motherfuckers ever and we just do our best to avoid them when we can or de-escalate when we can't because we never know what's gonna cause them to burst a blood vessel. And a good chunk of why they are so aggressive is because of the system, while another chunk is just the type of people being a driver attracts.

I'd be very curious about supplement use among either yard or commercial drivers, if you happen to get any sense of it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

q_k posted:

That's probably someone loving up the pin lock on the trailer.

You're assuming it works in the first place.

(for the record, this is why I'm a big fan of the policy "the driver may not be in the cab while the trailer is open, no matter what")

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Where I work, we expect the drivers to unload their own drat trucks. Our staff won’t touch a thing until it’s unloaded and in our back dock.

So there’s no chance of them being in the cab lol.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
We're required to not touch anything until the driver has signed in and handed over their keys. They get them back once we've completed the unload.

This is because every couple years people get slack and a driver drives off with some poor teenager in the back.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Amazon's policy is our dock doors have trailer locks that lock onto the DOT bar (the step that has a big sticker that says it's not a step that's supposed to keep people from driving their cars under a trailer and dying when rear-ending it and is woefully inadequate for the job). Door won't open unless the trailer is locked into place, and the driver can't drive off. Also when the trailer is locked the door has a red light to tell the driver not to back up and connect.

Basically creates an airlock system of sorts: those dock doors are only open when a trailer is docked to them outside of the occasional time there's maintenance work being done.

And yes, I've had to chew out the dock for having someone jump the gun and locking a trailer before I disconnected. Connecting to or disconnecting from a trailer shakes it all about : it's literally best practice to try to raise a trailer a bit when backing up to it to ensure you have a good connection to the kingpin.

Note this doesn't stop dumb poo poo from happening, just stops people from being in the trailers when dumb poo poo happens.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be very curious about supplement use among either yard or commercial drivers, if you happen to get any sense of it.

Wouldn't have the foggiest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was at the grocery store I used to work at and learned the produce manager I worked under got fired for eating bakery's bread :roflolmao:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

Was at the grocery store I used to work at and learned the produce manager I worked under got fired for eating bakery's bread :roflolmao:

lmao, my bakery will just give me snacks if I ask nicely, they give no fucks

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's another Monday night, yet again Security has a hole in their coverage. So I get to chill out in the outbound guard shack. Normally I'm 90% happy I'm being paid to sit around and watch youtube on the clock and 10% guilt watching the work queue fill up. Tonight? About 40% "easy money" glee, 60% "I'm thirsty but the shack's bathroom is clogged."

Also had a driver nearly try to come in the outbound gate. Thankfully he parked outside and walked up and asked first. Turns out he was lost and thought this was a Lowe's warehouse. To be fair he did arrive on the side road, approaching from the back of the building where there isn't a giant Amazon sign.

My manager: "You should have told him yes. Would have been funny."
Me: "You wouldn't have been laughing when I opened the gate and let him loose in the yard."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it's poetic justice that yesterday I got irritated when I was taking my lunch at a park, and some random dude walked up and asked me for help because he was missing a package. I gave him the 1-800 number and told him how to avoid this stupid call prompts for which he seemed grateful. I was still mildly annoyed at it but whatever.

I then got an email from the USPS that my package, that contains live animals, that I was expecting on Wednesday, had arrived today. And that it was left of the front desk or reception. This is news to me because the address I had on file for them was for my home address. Then I get a text from my mom that she left the mail key in the mailbox and when she went back to get it, there was a post-it note left from our mail carrier saying that she kept the key and would return it the next day, as well as the mail for the day. Which meant that my box did not in fact get delivered. After a good 20 minutes of trying to call the post office and their ridiculous system, my mom went to the post office direct to try and get the package, only to be told that it shows delivered because that's the only way the carrier could attempt to redelivery today.

Hopefully the animals will be okay. But if the seller wants to be a douche about it, he doesn't have to honor the life arrival guarantee because USPS says the package is already delivered even though they told my mom she will try again today. We certainly don't have that in writing.

I've heard some horror stories about working for the USPS, but the idea that you have to mark a package as delivered to attempt to redelivery just seems bogus to me.

Edit: got the box today, all the starfish died. I wonder if that would have still been the case that was delivered yesterday.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2024

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I worked fast food (McDonald's) for 3 hours. Did one shift of exceptionally silly "training" on a computer, broke my hand in an unrelated accident later that night, found a better job before it healed.

Ugh, McDonalds training was the worst when I went through it. For my orientation I had to go to the franchise owner's mansion where our regional manager had us watch a 4 hour long poorly animated video that was a parody of XFiles where the Mulder character was desperately searching for customer satisfaction.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Ugh, McDonalds training was the worst when I went through it. For my orientation I had to go to the franchise owner's mansion where our regional manager had us watch a 4 hour long poorly animated video that was a parody of XFiles where the Mulder character was desperately searching for customer satisfaction.

How much money do these corps waste on "how do we satisfy customers?"

You know what customers want from fast food places? Cheap food they can get fast. That's it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

God, Mcdonalds UK is doing a thing called the Best Burger Program where they basically want to be seen as a quality burger place (never going to happen but they try this every few years). To my eyes all this has ultimately amounted to is "we put onions on the burgers along with seasoning now" which is going to lead to a shitload of complaints from people who ask for no onions but inevitably get onions because they're going to be all over the grill and don't squeegee off cleanly because they stick to the loving grill. Also all meat is going to taste of onions because that smell gets everything. Also people are going to have to constantly be making onions up because the little pots they have for it only last about 5-6 runs. So on a busy Friday night they'll maybe last 10-15 minutes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

God, Mcdonalds UK is doing a thing called the Best Burger Program where they basically want to be seen as a quality burger place (never going to happen but they try this every few years). To my eyes all this has ultimately amounted to is "we put onions on the burgers along with seasoning now" which is going to lead to a shitload of complaints from people who ask for no onions but inevitably get onions because they're going to be all over the grill and don't squeegee off cleanly because they stick to the loving grill. Also all meat is going to taste of onions because that smell gets everything. Also people are going to have to constantly be making onions up because the little pots they have for it only last about 5-6 runs. So on a busy Friday night they'll maybe last 10-15 minutes.

why would onions be on the grill at all? it's been ages since I worked there but didn't the onions get added on after the patties were already off the grill and being assembled?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Because grilled onions are fuckin delicious

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Agents are GO! posted:

Because grilled onions are fuckin delicious

But the onions aren't being grilled. They're just being plopped on the burger right before you take it off.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Didn't they make a big deal about their "huge quality overhaul" last year that amounted to: Toast the bun, and put the rehydrated onion pieces onto the griddle for a few seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

njsykora posted:

All the buns are glazed now as well.

The biggest complaints are speed and getting the order right. Food quality is a distant third.

Have you had your People Team visit yet? Apparently it is causing the managers a lot of stress.

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 28, 2024