Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

if it was configured with a phone app and it's using wifi, it almost certainly takes the wifi configuration from the app

I believe iPhone at least requires explicit approval from the user (via system popup) before passing the WiFi auth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shackleford posted:

do you have an RF antenna hooked up to receive over-the-air channels?

there is lots of weird poo poo in ATSC and whatever the euro equivalent is, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_and_System_Information_Protocol

lol maybe a TV broadcaster figured out how to cram banner ads into the weather data or something

omg sidechanneling ads off visible spectrum that would be hilariously devious

sorry youre gonna have to mitm & filter out the least bits on all frames to avoid ads in the future

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

agreements with ISPs to side channel onto customers' rented APs?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

shackleford posted:

lol maybe a TV broadcaster figured out how to cram banner ads into the weather data or something
cloudy with a chance of Great Value meatballs

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
we can barely get reliable schedules into PSIP, I'm not sure triveni guidebuilder can do anything beyond that. ATSC3 is a whole 'nother bag but a TV that old wouldn't have it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i did a demo with tplink about omada (ended up staying with unifi but liked their deco4isp) so i know it's not the case on their end for weird things but what about the tv hosting all the known wps keys and trying on every new router ssid that it sees show up? assuming the new ssid also means router booting with wps add client enabled

probably auth passed via app but piggybacking ota would be neat

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

this is a test of the merchant sea broadcast system

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lmao jfc

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/how-will-atsc-30-transform-tv-advertising posted:

The biggest advantage of ATSC 3.0-based TV advertising is its ability to provide sponsors with all of the features offered by online interactive advertising. This advance finally releases broadcast television from the bonds of 20th century one-way TV advertising, which is about as up-to-date as VCRs.

“Online, there's the ability to enable dynamic ad insertion plus things like overlays and interactive application ads where viewers are actually engaging with advertisements,” said Schelle. “When TV stations broadcast in ATSC 3.0 to ATSC 3.0-enabled TV sets connected to the web, all of this interactivity becomes available over the air for live linear broadcasts.”

Ad Insertion Platform Sàrl is a Swiss technology company with 15 years experience in the ad insertion business, and one that is harnessing the advertising possibilities offered by ATSC 3.0 through its ‘Ad Break Composer’ platform.

“This new standard promises more dynamic and interactive experiences for viewers, from higher resolution content and audio quality to personalized ad delivery tailored specifically for each individual viewer,” said Laurent Potesta, CEO and Founder of Ad Insertion Platform Sàrl. “Design-wise, it will enable dynamic ad insertion capabilities as well as the ability to customize ads based on user data such as location or demographics."

the whole article is :barf:

so obviously ATSC 3.0 is still one-way from TV station to TV set so new TVs with ATSC 3.0 tuners are going to be even thirstier for Wi-Fi if that's possible

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i love the dystopian way this is all presented as major wins for the viewers.

also lollin' at "personalized per user". you know what televisions are famous for? being single-person experiences. "hey bob can i put football game on" "yeah sure its channel 13" "alright but why your tv advertising bad dragon to me man"

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
someone is definitely going to ship atsc3 TVs with 5G modems in them to get viewing data even if you never attach it to a network.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Qwijib0 posted:

someone is definitely going to ship atsc3 TVs with 5G modems in them to get viewing data even if you never attach it to a network.

you could pack that data into Lora or similar, I’m sure

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Qwijib0 posted:

That is what is going to happen. It is amazing what automotive cell modems send and receive for infotainment systems even if you do not pay for the service. Companies do not want to have to tell you if there is a cellular connection in your device, and are trying to carve out exceptions so they do not have to do that to sell advertising / listen in. Currently this is not settled case law, so I expect soon for some company to try this.

"Just found out that in my vehicle it has an eSIM which is a part of the complete comms module and not exchangeable. To change service you need to get its various numbers and that can only be done with one of Mercedes' tools which connects to the said device and can access the data. Since Mercedes took it upon themselves to have an exclusive service provider you cannot choose what data is sent, even if not subscribed to the advanced services."

An example for exceptions is medical devices. Most if not all CPAP devices have a SIM or eSIM in them to report in to your doctor or insurance company to show how much you actually use it. My mom's hearing aids need to connect in every 90 days or they disable themselves, even though she purchased them outright. Siemens is the company that made them. In the EU the same model does not do this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flakeloaf posted:

this is a test of the merchant sea broadcast system

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shackleford posted:

interactive experiences

gently caress. well, gotta get to it. i guess.

come on, show the thing. yes! duh okay, ill say "mcdonalds" you think they'll like it? yea probably i think everybody heard it, hah!

honey did you set the alarm for the next roll call?

why am in mcdonaefla worFEld. this is notsfsuh, yuyou are my awifeweifeWI

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

shackleford posted:

lmao jfc

the whole article is :barf:

so obviously ATSC 3.0 is still one-way from TV station to TV set so new TVs with ATSC 3.0 tuners are going to be even thirstier for Wi-Fi if that's possible

ATSC 3 allows broadcasters to encrypt and apply DRM. Your TV might not work at all without an always-on internet connection.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shackleford posted:

do you have an RF antenna hooked up to receive over-the-air channels?

there is lots of weird poo poo in ATSC and whatever the euro equivalent is, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_and_System_Information_Protocol

The TV isn't connected to anything but power and the HDMI cables to the HTPC and HDMI-ARC connection for the sound system.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
a lot of cars use sirius xm as their form of connecting

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah the admin should have to do a bunch of stupid bullshit to workaround their fail-rear end fortigate instead of it just working
You should do all that poo poo regardless of vendor bud

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

stare at wireshark with a loaded pistol pointed at my scale
title

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my tv is connected to my wired network but blocked at the router from communicating with the internet

this let me set up the homebridge plugin for lg/webos tvs to add it to homekit with more functionality than the tv exposes itself, like volume and channel control and exposing a remote for it in the apple tv remote interface

the homebridge plugin even makes dummy light switches (by default, can turn off) for channel up buttons, its kind of neat

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

ATSC 3 allows broadcasters to encrypt and apply DRM. Your TV might not work at all without an always-on internet connection.

this seems worse somehow than the TV detector vans they have in blighty

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

we've had encrypted OTA TV for ages in Europe and other places with DVB-T. you just get a smartcard, it's a one-way communication key rotation system too so no internet needed. The same systems that we've had on satellite TV since the 90's

some systems don't even use a smartcard (nagra)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is it as trivial to hack as satellite was in the 90s?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is it as trivial to hack as satellite was in the 90s?

not really but nowadays people do card sharing where you put the smartcard into a card reader hooked to a server and special software on your receiver box allows you to proxy the requests that normally would go to the card over the internet. but apart from that it's mostly iptv streaming now in the tv pirating world

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

but apart from that it's mostly iptv streaming now in the tv pirating world
Understandably since that only requires any drm to be cracked once on one piece of hardware which is infinitely easier than trying to work out a way to make it easy to break the encryption on every single device, and just restreaming the content doesn't necessitate revealing the method for breaking the protection in a way that might make it possible to fix

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretty sure that's an FCC violation but i'm sure they can lobby their way out of that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
has anyone said fortigate battle royale

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Everyone’s moving around VPN vendors to try to outrun vulnerabilities. My place went from Cisco to Pulse and now onto Global Protect.

The secret is that they all suck though. How long until Global Protect starts getting a bunch of bad 0days?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we use Cloudflare Warp and I haven’t heard people yell about it, but we also have everything in the butt and no privileged “office” network resources for people to access, so that probably makes things simpler

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i would simply adopt the one that has the most CVE's because that means there's fewer left to find

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s why I always carry a bomb when flying. never heard of two bombs on a flight

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you need to daisy chain them so the CVE's cancel out that way

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's why CVEs always come in pairs

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that's why CVEs always come in pairs

6 (up, down, strange, charm, bottom, and top)

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

i would simply adopt the one that has the most CVE's because that means there's fewer left to find

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

I Miss Snausages posted:

My mom's hearing aids need to connect in every 90 days or they disable themselves.

you know they briefly considered playing ads directly into your mom's ears too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

by ads we mean alex jones

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gate gate fortigate fortisamgate bodhi svaha

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

behold, a literal secfuck

https://old.reddit.com/r/Malware/comments/1asn02v/malware_from_a_vibrator/