Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of Windows volume control? Mostly around making 100% be lower volume, right now even 25% is louder than I would ever want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of Windows volume control? Mostly around making 100% be lower volume, right now even 25% is louder than I would ever want.

Not in basic Windows, but you may have other things going on.

For ex, some sound cards / mobo integrated sound have built in headphone amplification. That will boost the volume a lot, and is undesirable if you're feeding real speakers or highly efficient headphones (like earbuds).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I get that behavior on at least one of my W10 desktops, and if anything I think my Win11 laptops are a little better about giving me a loving second to actually log in. Actually, the one with Windows Hello is really nice about that, since it will look for me for a bit before deciding I didn't REALLY want to log in right now and gently caress off to black screen land.
I think my win10 Surface Pro is actually a little better lol

So any idea where the "setting" for this would be hidden? It's not the "sleep" setting or anything I can see in power management.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess there's always the low-tech brute force method (which I personally employ) of having speakers with an external volume control that you can set so the max Windows volume range is somewhere sane.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

docbeard posted:

I guess there's always the low-tech brute force method (which I personally employ) of having speakers with an external volume control that you can set so the max Windows volume range is somewhere sane.

Yeah, or headphones with inline volume control, or an amp with a volume knob. I believe this is also the best way for sound quality

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You can also do that via software. Basically installing a software only audio mixer and putting it between windows and the speakers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a work laptop (no admin privileges) and just crappy built in speakers. When I watch a multimedia presentation (like PowerPoint ) or video in a browser, full volume is not nearly loud enough, but I swear to God, opening a vid on LinkedIn the volume somehow goes up 400% louder than normal max and it sounds like I'm at a loving live concert.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks all for the responses/ideas.

Unfortunately, the headphones I am using are Bluetooth and each item in the stack (headphones, aptX dongle) has volume control that just manipulates the OS volume control.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can also do that via software. Basically installing a software only audio mixer and putting it between windows and the speakers.

Yeah... I might have to go this route. I was really hoping to avoid further complicating my audio setup as I switch devices fairly frequently, but this may be the only route.

Thanks goons!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you go to the volume mixer and turn down each application which you want to be quieter, then they will remain at that proportion of main volume as you adjust it up and down. You could set them all to 25% and see how that works for you. I tend to do this for system volume since I dislike loud beeps from backspacing in PuTTY or plugging/unplugging USB devices.

Unfortunately, this is also something that you will have to replicate on every device you use.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2024

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

just ol yeller me, I’m begging you

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/8/24066389/microsofts-copilot-ai-can-explain-stuff-to-you-in-notepad

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just want a Windows 2000 desktop back, where the internet was something you had to actively connect to

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

*taps the sign*

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Quackles posted:

Could be. Either issue - especially hardware issues - is firmly IT territory, seeing as this is my work laptop (and it's also a brand-new Dell Precision, to boot).

A driver update is firmly within your control, as is a bios update, as long as IT haven't locked you out of running as Administrator. If you need some step by step we'd be happy to help

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

down1nit posted:

A driver update is firmly within your control, as is a bios update, as long as IT haven't locked you out of running as Administrator. If you need some step by step we'd be happy to help

For some companies, an employee updating their assigned computer on their own, it can border on "very much discouraged" to "if you know how, go ahead" to "grounds for termination". It depends on what the company does, their policies in place, what kind of data they deal with to name just a few.

The laptop might just be a simple something ordered from Dell and handed to an employee with no safeguards to a locked down system only able to run specific things. To me it sounded like Quackles should hand it over to IT for them to deal with, regardless if whether they know how to or not.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

What the gently caress did someone do to this website? Has it always been this garish?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

I work as a developer, fortunately - I do have local admin for reasons, though I'm only supposed to use it for those specific reasons.

I think the Dell Command updater program that installs the BIOS update might not require admin to use, interestingly enough. I'll try that next.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Quackles posted:

I work as a developer, fortunately - I do have local admin for reasons, though I'm only supposed to use it for those specific reasons.

I think the Dell Command updater program that installs the BIOS update might not require admin to use, interestingly enough. I'll try that next.

dell commander wont update the bios if the bios is locked down and you don't have the password

and to enable that field you need to run dell command as admin fyi

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

hooah posted:

What the gently caress did someone do to this website? Has it always been this garish?

I'm trying to pick themes in Wordpress for a website I'm making, but almost all of the themes look like this now days.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Celexi posted:

dell commander wont update the bios if the bios is locked down and you don't have the password

Good to know.

I will update you when I have new developments.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Another update, another round of clicking "decline" on Microsoft products before it'll actually let me use my machine, with an added copilot icon forced into the taskbar. Very cool!!!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hooah posted:

They had a redesign last year I think with some questionable aesthetic choices, like the thick underline on links for instance.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

god please help me posted:

I'm trying to pick themes in Wordpress for a website I'm making, but almost all of the themes look like this now days.

I just set one up with a VT100 theme and that makes me happy. Green on black, monospace font, perfect.

insanelightman
Feb 21, 2005

insaaaaneeeee

slidebite posted:

I think my win10 Surface Pro is actually a little better lol

So any idea where the "setting" for this would be hidden? It's not the "sleep" setting or anything I can see in power management.

You have to enable it in the registry for it show up in the power plan options

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7

Change the "Attributes" key from "1" to "2"

Then open advanced power settings and it will be under Display>Console lock display off timeout

Only registered members can see post attachments!

insanelightman fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 9, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome man! I'll try this tonight. I really appreciate it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Celexi posted:

and to enable that field you need to run dell command as admin fyi

Dell commander turned off bitlocker to update when I used it which got me an email from IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All BIOS updates will suspend Bitlocker while they run (or the won't and then your system will lock itself and need the recovery key)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The BIOS Update was successful. I'll check its overnight sleep performance next week.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Nice! Any chipset updates come in? Any goons from IT arrest you yet?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

Nice! Any chipset updates come in? Any goons from IT arrest you yet?

Ask me on Monday. :tgif:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Apropos of nothing, Ctrl+Win+V opens Sound Output selector / Sound mixer in 11. I'm switching between different headsets constantly, and could finally uninstall eartrumpet. An app I had installed for almost the entirety of w10's existence. Such a simple thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vic posted:

Apropos of nothing, Ctrl+Win+V opens Sound Output selector / Sound mixer in 11. I'm switching between different headsets constantly, and could finally uninstall eartrumpet. An app I had installed for almost the entirety of w10's existence. Such a simple thing.

Doesn't work for me. Is this an Insider thing, or a powertoy, or just a setting I haven't found?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Doesn't work for me. Is this an Insider thing, or a powertoy, or just a setting I haven't found?

Nope,
Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

You click the Network/Sound combo button on your taskbar and it's this button:

Shows the hotkey combo on top of it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
It looks nicer I guess but isn't the same functionality built into windows 10?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

buffbus posted:

It looks nicer I guess but isn't the same functionality built into windows 10?

Yes, just left click the volume icon in the systray. You can click on a sound device to change the output

Not at all new

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Yes, just left click the volume icon in the systray. You can click on a sound device to change the output

Not at all new

Except these things:

- No hotkey
- No volume mixer
- No spatial sound toggler
- No ctrl-win-v, down/up, space combo to toggle my devices quickly without touching the mouse.

It's such a basic thing I can't believe it took them so long.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Same thing with Win+A, Space to toggle your BT antenna on or off.

Even on laptops. Miss me with that FN key bullshit

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Win 11 is constantly getting better.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vic posted:

Except these things:

- No hotkey
- No volume mixer
- No spatial sound toggler
- No ctrl-win-v, down/up, space combo to toggle my devices quickly without touching the mouse.

It's such a basic thing I can't believe it took them so long.

w10 has a volume mixer

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

astral posted:

w10 has a volume mixer

I'm saying no volume mixer when you

HalloKitty posted:

just left click the volume icon in the systray. You can click on a sound device to change the output

And also the volume mixer is:
not accessible by a hotkey (no creating a shortcut to your settings menu doesn't count)
not in a neat and small taskbar popup

This isn't what I want to open ten times a day:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

As is nearly always the case when it comes to complaining about the Windows Volume settings, just install Eartrumpet.