Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

In episode 6, all the True Detectives show up in the ice caves for a huge party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
New eppie is tonight, right?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

my bony fealty posted:

One of the great tricks the show does is have Rust appear to be this whacko nihilist who nobody likes, but he's actually a much better person than Marty who is an alcoholic piece of poo poo cheater. The flip of Marty going "this girl is underage what are you doing" to loving her a few years later is so good. He sucks.

Rust was a good man who experienced horrible trauma and it took him decades and accomplishing vengeance against real evil and almost dying in the process to start to heal.

What's funny too is it's not even much of a trick, you just have to not pay attention to how Rust acts and just take everything he says at face value and assume he fully believes it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Piorot818 had it sorted by page 8.

Jumped around out of curiosity and yea some people just got it from the jump. Big ups to the guy who up until the last episode was sure that Marty was going to be the killer. Or the guy who upon being shown the man with the scarred face saying he’s the killer along with ominous music posted ‘I’m not convinced he’s the killer’.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Justin Credible posted:

He was always the person he ended up as. He didn't 'randomly turn into an optimist'.

I watched S1 finale last night and it is still a knockout. Glenn Fleshler does an amazing job with his very short time on the show. The way he puts on that accent mimicking that old film word for word is so jarring. He's genuinely menacing and you really buy into his megalomania.

Then McConaughey sells the hell out of that final monologue. The fact that Rust is only able to get this one maniac but not take down the conspiracy parallels those final words well in the oldest story of light versus dark. Initially Rust regrets the shortcomings of his win over Childress, which is why I don't think he's an optimist wholesale. Yet it's only after this near death experience is he open to the idea that he could change his perspective to see that his small victory is part of a bigger movement of light overtaking darkness.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Jumped around out of curiosity and yea some people just got it from the jump. Big ups to the guy who up until the last episode was sure that Marty was going to be the killer. Or the guy who upon being shown the man with the scarred face saying he’s the killer along with ominous music posted ‘I’m not convinced he’s the killer’.

I'm too dumb at detective stuff and was convinced that the killer was going to be someone who wasn't introduced in the show until then and not a character we've seen already

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

In episode 6, all the True Detectives show up in the ice caves for a huge party.

They find all the dead bodies of the previous true detectives in the ice cave. Then they realize they can't get out

the end

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

That was one of the better episodes because something actually happened!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why does my TV App say this is airing tonight? Why would they change it?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Super bowl

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hbo has lost faith that the penultimate episode of this show can compete with the superbowl, the fools. Of course, I would have skipped it for the Puppy Bowl, or that one they do with cats.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Was this a banger? This might have been a banger.

Still a b- type of season because it could have been better paced, but this was good. It's also something that more tv writers should understand: if the plot moves along, people care less about plot holes.

Navarro's blown out ears? Didn't even think of that until way after the episode.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 10, 2024

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao ah yes tuttle united great callbacks A+ show

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Great episode.

Sickening posted:

This episode was interesting but the story doesn't seem to be speeding up. We get why the leading women don't like each other (I mean covering that up would cause tension, doesn't matter who did it). We look closer in why being a native in the area is loving awful. We learn almost zero.

The leading women hate abusers and have a ton of experience with them. Danvers also has a thing for people being abused not speaking up for themselves, victim blame etc. The dad cop is giving me sneaky dangerous vibes while masking it as a meek quiet type. Its 100% sickness from the ice story that as a fluke exposes a covered up old murder that has nothing to do with it. Dad cop gets exposed as a murderer and a sex pest, son pulls the trigger, danvers dies in a pool of her own blood finally showing signs of being human/likeable before the dark takes her. The end. The flat circle is just people doing evil poo poo and its on a cave drawing. Turns out we were poo poo from the start!

I am an oracle.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the cracking ice scene at the sea. incredible

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

joepinetree posted:

Navarro's blown out ears? Didn't even think of that until way after the episode.

I completely missed whatever this is about.

Best episode so far this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Things finally happened!! I like the season being a Pete torture fest.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

frogbs posted:

I completely missed whatever this is about.

Best episode so far this season.

Last episode ends with Danvers finding Navarro sitting on the ground with blood streaming out of her ears. And then it wasn't mentioned again.

But again, the fact that this episode actually progressed poo poo means I didnt really care.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I actually care less about the bleeding ears and more about how Navarro's borderline internal bleeding, "got the poo poo kicked out of her", wounds were all healed up less than a week after they happened.

But, yeah, that was a good episode.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is this one of those confusing seasons where it's seen as bad but maybe good and then later critically reappraised as amazing but then only internet posters care

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
This season definitely has potential, I'm invested now.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
tbh idk. I haven't watched past episode 1

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
This show is NCIS for millenials.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rereading the season one thread, I really miss the out there speculation. I think that the True Detective franchise tag is a soft spoiler and bad for the show because it limits the range of the story. TD1 benefitted from no previous lore because it could go anywhere. Now it probably can't.

Even if it hadn't been shoehorned in, the vast Tuttle empire clues were never going to go anywhere because TD is a very Serious Franchise and hinting at the huge fireworks factory that is just off screen is part of that. We can never go there and you're a rube for wanting to, actually. The supernatural will always be ambiguous and there will be a plausible and unsatisfying resolution to the main mystery.

If the show was just Night Country though there's a broader range of potential up to and including Danvers blowing up a Wendigo with a rocket launcher. If the franchise continues I think it would really benefit from a shakeup to the formula whether that is an objective supernatural event or major victory against lurking Big Evil to broaden the range of possibilities going forward.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Things I'm unclear on:

How old is Leah? In the first episode I guessed like 17 but now I'm unsure and could be talked into as high as 23.

How big is Ennis?

The town seems to be entirely elastic to accommodate the plot. It's been kind of fun keeping a running tally of services available.

Coroner/Forensic pathologist: lol no
Medical Trauma center: yes
Inpatient rehab: yes
Dentist: no

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
drat, probably my favorite episode so far. Crazy developments! Those last 5 minutes were incredible, every actor nailed it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Thinking about the Truest Detective rn

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Did everyone take their stupid pills this episode. None of the characters decisions in the last 20 minutes made any sense.

A mining executive you helped cover up a crime with is blackmailing you into committing murder? In return maybe you'll get a promotion (but they couldn't make that happen once before already)? yeah I'll do that!

Said useful idiot kills a witness and makes it clear he was blackmailed into committing that murder before drawing a gun on a cop? Also another cop is a witness to all of it? cover it up!

What in the world was any of that? I can usually justify bad character decisions as the result of pressure and heat of the moment but none of that made any sense. Bad episode. All together it's been a mixed bag, but that was one of the worst.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How old is Leah? In the first episode I guessed like 17 but now I'm unsure and could be talked into as high as 23.

Can't remember where I read it, Leah is 17, the actress is 25.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Danvers being the catfish is going to be much less impactful now if it’s even mentioned again at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That was a fast cremation. She just died yesterday, not even.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

That was a fast cremation. She just died yesterday, not even.
Pretty sure it was 5 days ago since the date is now Dec 31st, but I could be forgetting when she walks onto the ice.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
John Hawkes has an interesting interview with GQ where he states that

the actors essentially workshopped and rewrote the ending of the episode together to make it 'more believable', including making the decision on the day of the shooting that Danvers should be unarmed.

It's a completely hacked-about scene in its final state:

-Why does Danvers keep telling Peter to 'think! Think!' when there's not really a narrative reason why he *would* shoot his dad dead on the spot and he never seems at risk of siding with Hank? Wouldn't she be better off telling Hank to lower his gun and confess?
- For the sake of dramatic tension, shouldn't we see Hank at least try to win his son over to his side? Not even a token bit of 'Danvers is the real murderer, son - you figured out she killed Wheeler, didn't you?'
- If Hank, accepting his likely fate, thinks it's worth confessing to the other characters that he didn't kill Annie K, does he maybe want to say who did kill her?
- Not even an effort to shoot your dad in the shoulder or something, Peter?
- Why is it so important to go to the ice caves now? Why can't it wait until the storm's passed and you've disposed of the body?

so you've got to wonder what it was like before.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Am I going nuts or did they just film Danvers on a blue screen while she s talking to Otis?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty sure it was 5 days ago since the date is now Dec 31st, but I could be forgetting when she walks onto the ice.

Oh, yeah, basic math.
I thought for some reason Christmas was the 30th

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

Is this one of those confusing seasons where it's seen as bad but maybe good and then later critically reappraised as amazing but then only internet posters care

a lot of critics online are mad about the negative reception is getting as they keep lavishing the show with praise. So in that sense its different.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

grobbo posted:

- Why is it so important to go to the ice caves now? Why can't it wait until the storm's passed and you've disposed of the body?

The mine sent a guy to kill the person who would lead them through the caves, so something is clearly there and the mine knows that the cops know. The clock is ticking on how long they have before the evidence down there is irretrievable and/or someone comes after them instead.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Blue Nation posted:

Can't remember where I read it, Leah is 17, the actress is 25.

Sure hope it's 17 and not 20s because her girlfriend is said to be 15

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The REAL Goobusters posted:

a lot of critics online are mad about the negative reception is getting as they keep lavishing the show with praise. So in that sense its different.

Happens a lot to counteract the sheer negativity that usually surrounds women main characters. I call it the Selena Gomez Effect when someone does a good job but gets unnecessary hate so the praise goes overboard to ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Why is it that it's supposed to be a women-centric season but the only person who has done any actual detective work is white boy Prior