Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One week in I am enjoying my Bosch ventless condenser dryer after spending the past 12 years taking my laundry to a service. Just need to remember there are two things to empty instead of just the lint filter.

Only issue was getting two new 220 outlets installed for the washer and dryer on the balcony and then those installers screwing up the faucet installation (not putting in a rubber seal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I may have figured out part of the drainage problem.

Far to the right is where it comes from the sink. To the left is where it drains.

I am pretty sure stuff doesnt drain up so easily, right? That the drain pipe is supposed to go *down* or be horizontal for pretty much the entire way?

~five minutes later ~

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit 2: Ugh, now I'm bleeding and covered in sewage. This morning's home repairs are not going well, I think I'm going to take a break.

I dunno, sounds like you have the situation under control

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

~five minutes later ~

I dunno, sounds like you have the situation under control

Seems like the sink is no longer clogged so I give this 5 out of 5 garys.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Elephanthead posted:

Seems like the sink is no longer clogged so I give this 5 out of 5 garys.

I'm pretty sure the clog is still there, actually, that was just a side effect of most of the pipe being upstream from but physically below the clog. But hey, at least it isn't in the pipe anymore.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Homeowner’s thread: Ugh now I’m bleeding and covered in sewage

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Please please.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thufir posted:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm working on it!

Edit: Damnit, wrong forum!

Thufir posted:

:mods:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Homeowners: Ugh, now I'm bleeding and covered in sewage.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not to interrupt future gangrene chat but:

Anyone have strong opinions on attic ladders? Mine is a cheap wood one that doesn't fit excatly right and is giving up the ghost.

It's in the garage so it can be ugly and doesn't really need to be insulated.

The rough hole for it is the standard size. Just get whatever is in stock at Lowes Depot?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I bought a steam mop to clean our floors (mix of tile and vinyl plank flooring) and while I've gotten good at cleaning it periodically without damaging the vinyl flooring (probably still not a good idea, I know), the very first time I did it, I accidentally left it too long in one area. Now that section has some warping. I assume there's no way to fix this other than just replacing those planks/boards?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I may have figured out part of the drainage problem.

Far to the right is where it comes from the sink. To the left is where it drains.

I am pretty sure stuff doesnt drain up so easily, right? That the drain pipe is supposed to go *down* or be horizontal for pretty much the entire way?

I also feel like cutting entirely through those crossbeams like they did probably isnt good either

edit: followup on the crossbeams: one cut through all the way, two cut through more than halfway, three more with big chunks taken out of them. Two crossbeams also appear to be supported only by loose bricks and what looks like an old fence post that was jammed under one of them.

Hmm... I think I am going to stop thinking about this now, otherwise I might start to worry about what thay might mean for the houses structural stability.

Edit 2: Ugh, now I'm bleeding and covered in sewage. This morning's home repairs are not going well, I think I'm going to take a break.

:pressf:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure (check with a structural engineer) but I think you can shore up your busted crossbeams by adding lumber of the same dimension on either side for Y length. I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is but usually it's like 20x Y so if there's a 2" cut in a 2x6 you need 2x 40" of 2x6, one on either side. It's not a huge problem to fix maybe $30 per cut to fix

I'm not a big fan of that ridged pipe for long runs. Creates turbulence and it won't drain well. I think it's only supposed to be used for short runs where straight pipe is impractical

If you look at a bubble level it has three sections, if the bubble is in either of the outside sections then at that angle water will roll downhill (in your drainage pipe) very handy for figuring out if you have enough space to run the drainage to the main sewer outlet, or if your pipes have enough slope to start with.

The "brick" can be fixed with real concrete pyramid shaped piers for like $20 ea, maybe put them on a bed of gravel, not sure how you'd get that up to code but it's also not a major problem to solve

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
i noticed you put brick in quotes, does that mean theres a better name for this thing?

I also dont know what you mean be ridged pipe? The waste pipe is the white pvc (draining from right to left). Do you mean the connectors or something?

Edit: Oh, do you mean that tube in the back? I have no idea what that is connected to, might be good to know though

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 10, 2024

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Dude. Was this house inspected? Those beams are giving me the creeps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Dude. Was this house inspected? Those beams are giving me the creeps.

That's such a typical thing, and even done reasonly well considering.

There's optimal, there's "what I'd like to see", then there's reality. What you're looking at there is a picture of reality.

Lots of people who have a basic understanding of the right way to do things but not a lot of practical experience will go wild over stuff like that. And I get it. And I'm one of the people telling all of you to "do it right". But at the time that was done it was done right, and it's still working. Just because we have better ways now doesn't mean that's immediately wrong/needs to be fixed. This is not a real problem.

Uphill flowing plumbing is a real problem because it will continually clog. But even that is not an immediate problem because you can clear the clog and get another many months or years out of it. So haw far do you gfo right now past clearing out the clog? That answer requires more context.

The cut joists are a problem maybe but not an immediate one. It may never become one unless and until someone puts a 100+ gallon spa tub or saltwater reef tank above it. Again, more context required.

Are these thing optimal? Of course not. Do they need to be fixed right now? Only the one of them does. Do the rest need to be fixed? Not sure, depends on how old OP is or how long they intend to stay in the house. I'm only being slightly sarcastic here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the brick looks not terrible. I was imagining like, three to seven bricks piled up from the ground. That brick is just a spacer between the beam and the foundation. It's Probably Fine but an inspector will know better than some rando on the Internet looking at cell phone pictures

Yeah find out what the hell that woven hose and the ribbed for her pleasure pipe is for

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The rippled metal thing is just flexible metal conduit, right?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It’s the beams that would concern me, not the brick

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm not actually overly concerned about any of them as individual items. The house seems stable enough and it's not like they just did this yesterday, and god knows there are bigger reasons I should be having an engineer come by, like the stuff the inspector actually noticed that convinced him to say "You should really get a structural engineer to look at this, though, because it's not good" when he was doing the inspection. They all just seem to add together to create a picture of still uncovering new problems twenty years down the road of the previous owners making mysterious and seemingly unwise decisions - but I read this thread for a while before I purchased, so that was expected. And a lot of it is just my own ignorance and now knowing what is normal, what is okay, what is sketchy, and what is outright dangerous, but I'm learning, or trying to.

Weekend plan is still the same as it was at the beginning of the week - install new functional appliances (done), get new electric installed (done), clear clog (probably not done but maybe, didn't get to test), redo plumbing, finally glue sink back into place.

Only thing that's changed is I'm gonna spend some time in the morning seeing if I can't figure out a way of doing so that avoids trying to drain up and thus save myself some headaches down the road.

I'm still genuinely curious if that's actually called something else other than a brick.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 11, 2024

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

So uh did you have a structural engineer look at the things your inspector said should be looked at?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Search your heart, you know the answer to that question already.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Isn't brick like that with the holes through the middle specifically meant to be placed flat vs on edge? I mean, it's working and probably has been forever but you would think the brick has an intended load bearing direction. I'm sure it's fine but if you're anywhere with seismic activity, you may want to consider some reinforcement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Verman posted:

Isn't brick like that with the holes through the middle specifically meant to be placed flat vs on edge? I mean, it's working and probably has been forever but you would think the brick has an intended load bearing direction. I'm sure it's fine but if you're anywhere with seismic activity, you may want to consider some reinforcement.

Seismic reinforcement has little to do with the brick and everything to do with preventing lateral movement. Even if it was a standard pier-and-beam you would need to strap it to the beam, then brace+bolt the perimeter. Otherwise the house can just slide off whatever is transferring the load. (I also am nervous looking at it, don't bricks become brittle with time? If there are earthquakes it could crumble, but again sliding off is the more likely problem.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the brick looks not terrible. I was imagining like, three to seven bricks piled up from the ground. That brick is just a spacer between the beam and the foundation. It's Probably Fine but an inspector will know better than some rando on the Internet looking at cell phone pictures

Yeah find out what the hell that woven hose and the ribbed for her pleasure pipe is for

I don't think that brick is a spacer, or at least "appears to be bearing a significant load from the structure above it" isn't what I normally think of as a spacer. Are any of the other beams supported by perforated bricks laid on their side like this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bricks are rated at, very conservatively 2000psi, foundation grade concrete starts at about 3500psi I think

Bricks and concrete don't really degrade AFAIK. There's an uncountable number of brick bridges holding up railways the world over. In a protected crawlspace like that, the brick ought to last in that spot another 1000 years I'd guess

The holes being sideways isn't great but I don't think you're approaching anywhere near half the design weight of that brick and it's holding a static load, not a dynamic one.

People get really nervous about bricks (ceramic or concrete) but the fact is they almost never fail unless it's got a defect or something

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Well brick can degrade but it needs to be out in weather. Wind and rain do a number on it, and if you live in a place that freezes it spalls like a motherfuck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

For anyone wondering, this is the part of the foundation the inspector said I should get someone to look at:

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

:staredog:

I mean, I get being worried about the structure, but I'd be more worried about the number of bodies hidden behind those cinder blocks, Cask of Amontillado-style...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Id wager the bodies are actually "hidden" at the bottom of the cliff (along with the old old tvs and washing machines and broken bikes and poo poo), but maybe we will get lucky and the structural engineer will find some.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 11, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Please share the amontillado with us OP.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

For anyone wondering, this is the part of the foundation the inspector said I should get someone to look at:

We looked at it so it's good now.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So uh, how much did this place cost, and how did the basement not scare you off

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

We looked at it so it's good now.

Glad to cross that item off the todo list.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 11, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GlyphGryph posted:

Man you keep dribbling out great pics if you have more like this :justpost:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That pic is hilarious lol. I have found that oftentimes internet replies will over-emphasize the concern of some things, that most people would simply look past and never have an issue with.

In this case though, I think even I would have sought an opinion or two before closing on that property. A big concern is, it may remain standing while you live there, but will another rational party purchase it when you are ready to leave?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Man you keep dribbling out great pics if you have more like this :justpost:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What is that pile at the base of the wall in question? Dirt? Slag? Part of the Earth's crust?

And :stare: at the lack of mortar in the cinderblock joints. Please tell us that that isn't a load-bearing wall.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a... 7 cubic foot top loader chest freezer that gets opened maybe once a week. 7 cu ft is I think "standard" size. The lid is ~37x22 and 33" above the ground. Perfect size for, maybe not primary work bench, but extra garage horizontal space that can't get too gross or greasy

I was thinking about buying something like this, 1.25" "butcher block" countertop and gluing it to the lid? Then trim it down to suit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton...-0001/319764603

The top is, based on the fridge magnet + finger tap test, 20-22 ga powder coated steel

Can I scratch off some of the powder coat to expose the steel, then just glue it down with gorilla glue? Put some heavy stuff on top to keep it from sliding around? I'd use epoxy but the sides have a trim piece so it's not perfectly flat and the expanding foam of the gorilla glue would probably work well. I might have a pair of ratcheting tie down straps somewhere.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Or router out a recess and glue some neodymium disc magnets into the butcher block so it's removable. Put some super thin felt on there even to help with removal. Now you have a removable/replaceable/etc top.